Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New NFL Rule For Overtime

King Colt

5 hours ago, Superman said:

So did the other team. But because they won the coin toss -- a totally arbitrary outcome that neither team can control -- they have greater odds to win the game. This article states that, even with the new rule where only a TD or safety ends the game on the first possession, the team that wins the coin toss wins the game 54% of the time, which is a 9% advantage for the team winning the coin toss (I remember it being ~60%, not sure if there's been a recent trend the other way, or if so many ties lately have impacted the number.) https://theringer.com/nfl-overtime-rules-super-bowl-li-patriots-falcons-62316a6f8e3c

All because they won the coin toss. That's nonsense. 

Two teams play to a tie over four quarters, but the team that wins an arbitrary event over which neither team has control has a 9% greater chance of winning the game? Just give both teams a possession and let them decide the outcome, rather than a coin toss. 

Yeah, if we're going to decide a game with a coin toss, then why even play the game?  Just let Jerome Bettis call the coin-toss at the beginning of every game.

"Heads-no-Tails-no-Heads-no-Tails."

WHAT?  Come on ref, are you deaf?  Ha, deaf-ref.  I'm a rhymer and didn't even know it.

I mean I am a poet and was not aware of my predicament.  Wait, was that supposed to rhyme?

:scratch:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Some games deserve to end in a tie.  Let it be.

Well, obviously you can't have a playoff game, much less a SB end in a tie.  We can't just let it be.

SB co-winners?  What's next?  Everyone hangs a participation banner in their stadium?

Oh, wait...   :grumpy2:

11 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Wow, pure speculation on your part with zero evidence of any of the claims you are making. 

Automatic tie? Please elaborate with some evidence,  otherwise it's hyperbole.

Me mentioning the amount of games going over 10 minutes has a DIRECT CONNECTION to games ending in ties.

If 9/10 end of regulation tied games, do not go past 10 minutes of OT, is it really increasing the number of tie games by a large amount? No.

Literally speaking it can lead to a game tying sooner than it may have with the extra 5 minutes.  However,  statistically speaking the chances of it happening are slim. 

Come on man, use some common sense. 

you need to use common sense

any OT game that goes past 10 mins is now an automatic tie, where as before they had an extra 5 mins to kick a FG

if you are not smart enough to understand how this will increase the number of ties than i have no interest in talking with you. 

10 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Some games deserve to end in a tie.  Let it be.

ill never feel that way

the seahawks and cardnials game last year was a huge disappointment

it might seem like no big deal, but i hate spending three hours of my life for it to end in a tie

Not a fan of this change.   It's not a huge deal, but I don't like it.   Really not a fan of all the sports shortening the games.

I do think this could hurt a team that runs the ball and grinds it out.   With less time, they may not have time for a 7 minute drive.   

I also don't like the easing up on the TD celebrations.   Just another step closer to arena league or XFL.

15 minutes ago, Myles said:

I also don't like the easing up on the TD celebrations.   Just another step closer to arena league or XFL.

To each their own.  Remember that this is entertainment.  Sometimes the things we look down on happen to be the most entertaining.  I don't like fighting, but Mayweather and McGregor are about to put on a show that I probably won't be able to resist watching.

I love it that Peyton and Andrew just hand the ball to the ref and congratulate their teammates on the sideline.  Been there, done that, gonna do it again, so no reason to make a show of it.  That's the respectable thing to do as the leader of the team.

But I also love seeing some creative new TD celebration.  Some of these guys have one single moment of glory in the NFL, and they should make the most of it.  It's fun.  It is what it is.

:dunno:

15 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

To each their own.  Remember that this is entertainment.  Sometimes the things we look down on happen to be the most entertaining.  I don't like fighting, but Mayweather and McGregor are about to put on a show that I probably won't be able to resist watching.

I love it that Peyton and Andrew just hand the ball to the ref and congratulate their teammates on the sideline.  Been there, done that, gonna do it again, so no reason to make a show of it.  That's the respectable thing to do as the leader of the team.

But I also love seeing some creative new TD celebration.  Some of these guys have one single moment of glory in the NFL, and they should make the most of it.  It's fun.  It is what it is.

:dunno:

I do agree with "To each their own".    The show boating just doesn't entertain me.   It turned me off on the NBA several years ago and it annoys me in the NFL.  Choreographed celebrations seem like a minor league stunt.  

Just now, Myles said:

I do agree with "To each their own".    The show boating just doesn't entertain me.   It turned me off on the NBA several years ago and it annoys me in the NFL.  Choreographed celebrations seem like a minor league stunt.  

I agree about the choreographed stuff.  If it's planned, it's just cheesy.  I got real sick of Ocho Cinco and his planned celebrations that he wouldn't shut up about...

But the spur of the moment stuff?  Come on, let the guy dunk the ball over the goal post, or throw the ball into the stands, or throw themselves into the stands.

That's what I would do.  That's fun.

56 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I agree about the choreographed stuff.  If it's planned, it's just cheesy.  I got real sick of Ocho Cinco and his planned celebrations that he wouldn't shut up about...

But the spur of the moment stuff?  Come on, let the guy dunk the ball over the goal post, or throw the ball into the stands, or throw themselves into the stands.

That's what I would do.  That's fun.

I will have to disagree with dunking the ball over the goal post. It moves the goal post and then delays the game when a crew is sent out to readjust the post.  :D

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I will have to disagree with dunking the ball over the goal post. It moves the goal post and then delays the game when a crew is sent out to readjust the post.  :D

Easily fixed.  Just have a few people sitting on the goal post whose sole job is to reject any approaching ball, including FGs and PATs (I know, awesome idea, right? Completely safe.) and especially ball-involved celebrations.

If a pesky player happens to successfully dunk the ball and manages to knock the goal post askew, the Postmen/Postwomen (Eh?) just shuffle to the higher end and jump up and down until the goal post is back to level.  (Again, completely safe.)

:td:  <-- That's the Postmen/Postwomen because they get to decide if the kick was good or not, instead of the Non-Post-People-refs.  Big time-saver since the refs can get ready for the next play, knowing the integrity of the game will be preserved in the hands of the Post-people.

Why hasn't the NFL hired me yet?  I'm the greatest idea-man that ever idea-ed...

On 5/19/2017 at 6:24 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You are correct. I would still like to see both Offenses get a chance but they don't if the team scores a TD that gets the ball first.

I might have a solution to that...

On 5/19/2017 at 6:53 PM, Superman said:

I don't understand. They have resisted the two possession overtime (which is the most common sense thing in the world, IMO) because 'we want that excitement of knowing the game can end with just one play!' which is absolutely not compelling in any notable way (again, IMO). 

Yet, they are ready to enact this change that has the potential to increase the number of games that end in a tie, which is the most anticlimactic way possible for a game to end. 

I'm missing something.

What you're missing is the NFL dpoesn't care about regular season ties, and only care about reducing the number of extra plays after regulation (injury risk, and or gassing a team that may have upcoming short week, etc...). Post season can't have ties, some one has to move on, and the other go home.  NFL doesn't want kickers deciding OT, yet Special teams is part of football. As Ron Wolf has said (I believe) you don't want to take the foot out of football.  My solution is based upon listening to countless calls into radio  shows and hearing all of the downsides, from league standpoint, to clubs view, to players view, to fans view.

I propose an extra time frame (OT) of two minutes for each team.  Both get at least one mandatory possession. 1 or 2 timeouts awarded for use.  After a coin toss. winner chooses to either kickoff or receive 1st.  Thus each team has to field a kickoff (or start at their 25 for a touchback) with 2 minutes on their clock. They have that time to move the sticks and attempt to get a score (TD or FG) before time runs out. If  they do not score and cannot convert a 1st on 4th down, their possession is over, no points given, and clock resets to 2 minutes.  Then they kickoff to the other team, where they get the same setup and scoring chance..  The team that scores the most points wins.  If each team scores the same amount of points (be it a TD, FG, or both fail to score) then the game ends in a tie for regular season games. I a defense forces a safety, that teams wins.

In post season, same rules apply for each teams first possession.  If it ends in a tie, then they do it again, but now give each team 4 minutes on the clock. Now each team has had a chance to run a 2 minute drill, and a 4 minute drill, and have had to defend them as well.  And special teams was not removed, nor over used.

If that ends in a tie, I'm not sure whether to go back to 2 minute drills until a winner emerges, or stay at 4.  Hopefully a winner is determined by then. 

That is how I'd like to see OT addressed, regular season and post season.  It will not happen though.  Some cheesy compromise will always be trotted out there instead.

22 hours ago, aaron11 said:

you need to use common sense

any OT game that goes past 10 mins is now an automatic tie, where as before they had an extra 5 mins to kick a FG

if you are not smart enough to understand how this will increase the number of ties than i have no interest in talking with you. 

And how often do OT games go over 10 minutes? 

Here's an article about exactly what I'm saying. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/05/24/nfl-overtime-stats-rule-length-ties-playoff-seeding

Over the past 5 years 83 games have gone into OT, of which 22 went past 10 minutes. That's 26% of the games. Not that big of a deal to me. 

You have to take into account the fact that coaches were working with 15 minutes and that affects their decision making. You're going to have to wait and see.

2 hours ago, Narcosys said:

And how often do OT games go over 10 minutes? 

Here's an article about exactly what I'm saying. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/05/24/nfl-overtime-stats-rule-length-ties-playoff-seeding

Over the past 5 years 83 games have gone into OT, of which 22 went past 10 minutes. That's 26% of the games. Not that big of a deal to me. 

You have to take into account the fact that coaches were working with 15 minutes and that affects their decision making. You're going to have to wait and see.

Makes you wonder why a change was needed?

If 22 games went past 10 minutes, we could cut that in half to account for coaching for 10 minutes.   That's still 11 more ties in 5 years.   So 2+ more ties a year.