Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marlon Mack Signed

TKnight24

53 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Why does it take then so long to sign 

first professional contracts, so I imagine they want to make sure their agents/lawyers and such go over ever every fine detail, and usually with first rounders, there's a lot more contractual language with the new 5-year team options and things of the sort.that's what held up bosa last year because they have some jacked up rookie contracts for the chargers which is a big reason Eli told them to kick rocks

A quote from an article by Gil Brandt about Mack ...

"... fourth-round pick Marlon Mack -- whose 10-yard split of 1.50 seconds was the best time of any running back at the NFL Scouting Combine -- has the quickness and pass-catching ability to be a very good pro. Mack will fill a third-down-back role that enables the Colts to run a lot of play action, which should help protect Andrew Luck"

11 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

Why does it take then so long to sign 

Drafted players already belong to their teams, no matter what, so I believe, it's mostly because there's no reason to rush. Best agents have many players to sign, each player & team has a bit different offseason schedule, this all affects who and when will sign next. I guess agents have a list of preferred teams/players who they think they can negotiate the best deals with. They do those first, then they can use those contracts as references negotiating other contracts. I think unless it's not a Joey Bosa case, it's just a matter of time until all contracts get done.

So I put this out as a legit question.  It seems a lot of fans are high on Mack for his "homerun" ability.  But I ask why is this possibility so interesting?  If you look last year at the number of players who had TD runs of over 30 yards, at 3, Elliott was the only one who had more than two, and only two other starting RBs (freeman and blount [who is not a "homerun" type back]) had at least 2 (christine michael and coleman had 2 each also).  Given how infrequent these "homeruns" happen, why do fans care so much about it?   It seems to be such an inconsequential play in the overall scheme of NFL play that it should rank just slightly higher than kickoff or punt returns for TDs in terms of importance.  

Why is it that so many fans elevate this potential to be a core quality they want in an RB?  I know that these types of plays score huge in fantasy football, but is that the reason?  Can fans not separate FF from real football?  In my years as a fan, I was never impressed by guys like Chris Johnson.  I was impressed by guys like Czonka, Riggins, Earl Campbell and Marshawn lynch, who would line up and run it down the defense's throat, imposing their will on the game.  The relentless onslaught was always more impressive (and distressing as the fan of an opposing team) than the elusive RB who would do nothing all game long and then pop a big play.  What am I missing?   

59 minutes ago, A8bil said:

So I put this out as a legit question.  It seems a lot of fans are high on Mack for his "homerun" ability.  But I ask why is this possibility so interesting?  If you look last year at the number of players who had TD runs of over 30 yards, at 3, Elliott was the only one who had more than two, and only two other starting RBs (freeman and blount [who is not a "homerun" type back]) had at least 2 (christine michael and coleman had 2 each also).  Given how infrequent these "homeruns" happen, why do fans care so much about it?   It seems to be such an inconsequential play in the overall scheme of NFL play that it should rank just slightly higher than kickoff or punt returns for TDs in terms of importance.  

Why is it that so many fans elevate this potential to be a core quality they want in an RB?  I know that these types of plays score huge in fantasy football, but is that the reason?  Can fans not separate FF from real football?  In my years as a fan, I was never impressed by guys like Chris Johnson.  I was impressed by guys like Czonka, Riggins, Earl Campbell and Marshawn lynch, who would line up and run it down the defense's throat, imposing their will on the game.  The relentless onslaught was always more impressive (and distressing as the fan of an opposing team) than the elusive RB who would do nothing all game long and then pop a big play.  What am I missing?   

I am curious as to what you mean by 'homerun' ?  Isn't scoring a TD considered a "homerun" ?  Is there an yardage number put on it? Calling Blount a non homerun type of back after he scored as many TDs as he did don't seem right. You didn't even bring up David Johnson who had over 2,000 yards on the ground and in the air.

The numbers these backs score in fantasy does relate to reality IMO.

51 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I am curious as to what you mean by 'homerun' ?  Isn't scoring a TD considered a "homerun" ?  Is there an yardage number put on it? Calling Blount a non homerun type of back after he scored as many TDs as he did don't seem right. You didn't even bring up David Johnson who had over 2,000 yards on the ground and in the air.

The numbers these backs score in fantasy does relate to reality IMO.

By "homerun" type back, I mean ( and I think everyone who is excited about Mack means) the type of back who some believe has the "speed" to make long runs for TDs.  That's the knock constantly repeated about Gore on this forum.  He is too slow to "take it to the house," when he gets beyond the line of scrimmage.  

Simply getting TDs is not what I am addressing, because slow, power backs can and do rack up lots of TDs, and those are certainly not the traits that some fans are valuing in Mack.  Further, RBs who rack up a lot of TDs are often more a product of an offense that puts them in a position to score.  And, scoring within the 10 yard line has little to do with speed, and everything to do with blocking and the ability of the RB to find creases and power through tackles.  if we were looking for a RB to score  on first and goal series, Mack has no credentials.  

For analysis purposes, I filtered for RBs who had TD runs over 25 yards, with the assumption that TDs of this length will reflect the relative game impact of a "homerun" type RB.  David Johnson had only 1 over 25 yds -- 58 yards.  As noted, only three starting RBs in the league had more than 1 TD of that length -- Elliott had 3 and Blount and Freeman had two -- meaning that the ability of a RB to pop a long run for a TD is relatively meaningless in the overall scoring in the league.  so why do we care that Mack has speed?  Shouldn't the concern of fans be on who is the RB that an consistently move the chains?