Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Charges Against Caleb Brantley Dropped

krunk

browns-35.png  Browns | Charges against Caleb Brantley dropped    Wed May 17, 02:41 PM

Cleveland Browns DT Caleb Brantley's battery charge in Florida has been dismissed because of insufficient evidence, according to the Florida State Attorney's Office.

Footballguys view: Brantley could've been a second- or third-round pick but on April 13th, he was involved in a physical altercation with a woman that resulted in the woman being knocked unconscious. On the field, Brantley has a stout frame and can create interior pressure on the passer. He was a rotational player in college (never played in half of Florida's defensive snaps) for the Gators, and that role should continue in the pros.

Link to story

20 hours ago, dgambill said:

Interesting...Browns could have added a nice piece there late in the draft. Seems weird that some young lady gets knocked the heck out and nobody gets charged....very strange.

It's because of a lack of evidence.  I'm no expert on the case or on the legal system, but a lack of evidence is a pretty good reason to throw something out.  I'm not saying this is what happened, but if the accuser is making things up, then a lack of evidence would be just cause to throw the case out.

44 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

It's because of a lack of evidence.  I'm no expert on the case or on the legal system, but a lack of evidence is a pretty good reason to throw something out.  I'm not saying this is what happened, but if the accuser is making things up, then a lack of evidence would be just cause to throw the case out.

I can't say I know what happened either but I think we're reaching the point where nearly every draft you are going to have a couple of players who have someone, with a grudge against them that are going to drop some sort of accusation or expose an old skeleton in their closet right before the draft in an effort to hurt them the most.  

5 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Her face got smashed pretty good if I remember correctly.   There's a strong case that she did not make the up.

Odds are,  there was a settlement between Brantly and the alleged victim and she is now declining to press charges and testify....        that would be my guess....

33 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Her face got smashed pretty good if I remember correctly.   There's a strong case that she did not make the up.

Odds are,  there was a settlement between Brantly and the alleged victim and she is now declining to press charges and testify....        that would be my guess....

Wouldn't they say that, then?  Not saying you're wrong, but if they reached a settlement, wouldn't they say that the case has been settled out of court instead of saying the case has been dismissed?

34 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Wouldn't they say that, then?  Not saying you're wrong, but if they reached a settlement, wouldn't they say that the case has been settled out of court instead of saying the case has been dismissed?

Fair question...

I honestly don't know.     It may be that the police are only saying that the case has been dismissed and will let the lawyers speak to the settlement.     Again,  that's just speculation on my part...

On 5/18/2017 at 11:31 AM, 21isSuperman said:

Many domestic violence abuse victims do not seek help from law enforcement and often drop the cases entirely out of fear of retaliation and/or intimidation. Unless they have a really good lawyer that is pushing for them to press charges, the victims often feel useless and backed into a corner. 

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 0:31 PM, 21isSuperman said:

It means she is a liar and he didn't do it.

44 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

Many domestic violence abuse victims do not seek help from law enforcement and often drop the cases entirely out of fear of retaliation and/or intimidation. Unless they have a really good lawyer that is pushing for them to press charges, the victims often feel useless and backed into a corner. 

But if that were the case here, wouldn't the charges simply be dropped?  The fact that it went to court suggests the victim is not intimidated or feels backed into a corner.  The case, as I understand it, went to court and the charges were dropped because of a lack of evidence.  If the victim was fearful, wouldn't she just drop the charges or settle out of court?

10 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

It means she is a liar and he didn't do it.

Hard to say.  I don't know enough about the case to comment either way

11 hours ago, King Colt said:

It's called hush money to be paid now that he has signed for millions.

He was drafted in the sixth round.  About 500,000 a year before taxes and paying his agent.    He doesn't have millions

On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 11:53 PM, 21isSuperman said:

I'm no lawyer. But I believe the victim can take it to a civil suit where they are more likely to get some decent compensation and a condition of that settlement could be the dropping of criminal charges against the assailant.

I'm not saying that's what happened in this case. But it wouldn't surprise me if she ended up settling out of court.

1 hour ago, UKColt13 said:

I'm no lawyer. But I believe the victim can take it to a civil suit where they are more likely to get some decent compensation and a condition of that settlement could be the dropping of criminal charges against the assailant.

I'm not saying that's what happened in this case. But it wouldn't surprise me if she ended up settling out of court.

This is what happened before the case was dropped:

I was approached by lawyers representing the alleged victim, both yesterday and today," Brantley's attorney, Huntley Johnson, said Tuesday evening. " They indicated to me they were meeting with the State Attorney's Office tomorrow and that they want to settle the case today. I called Mr. Brantley and communicated what they said to me. He told me that under no circumstances were we to offer them money or give them any money. He said no."

http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/Woman-tries-to-settle-in-Brantley-case-bar-owner-speaks-out-52480690

One of the things I found interesting with the case and I said this as the draft was taking place.   The bouncers from the bar and the owner had vastly different stories than the Girl and her friends.

Second, the owner of the bar in question, Fat Daddy's, has also spoken out. Yahoo! Sports' Jason Cole reports that the bar owner said the woman involved "repeatedly" hit Brantley in the chest and arms, while a security guard present also said she punched him in the mouth. The GPD incident report says the woman pushed Brantley, who then retaliated with a punch.

However, the security guard added that the woman was never knocked unconscious and Brantley did not punch her, only pushed her away.

Brantley has maintained from the start that he acted solely in a reactionary manner, pushing the woman away. The GPD report from the incident indicates that two witnesses identified Brantley as punching the woman.

http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/Woman-tries-to-settle-in-Brantley-case-bar-owner-speaks-out-52480690

40 minutes ago, King Colt said:

You know nothing about what transpired behind closed doors and never will.

I was approached by lawyers representing the alleged victim, both yesterday and today," Brantley's attorney, Huntley Johnson, said Tuesday evening. " They indicated to me they were meeting with the State Attorney's Office tomorrow and that they want to settle the case today. I called Mr. Brantley and communicated what they said to me. He told me that under no circumstances were we to offer them money or give them any money. He said no."

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 6:58 AM, jvan1973 said:

I was approached by lawyers representing the alleged victim, both yesterday and today," Brantley's attorney, Huntley Johnson, said Tuesday evening. " They indicated to me they were meeting with the State Attorney's Office tomorrow and that they want to settle the case today. I called Mr. Brantley and communicated what they said to me. He told me that under no circumstances were we to offer them money or give them any money. He said no."

What do you expect them to say? "Yeah, we are so guilty as sin so we bought the tramp off with cash".

On 5/24/2017 at 8:14 AM, King Colt said:

What do you expect them to say? "Yeah, we are so guilty as sin so we bought the tramp off with cash".

Well, since the matter went to the courts, they cannot by law, make a deal behind closed doors and not tell anyone.  They have to tell the judge that a deal was reached, the judge has to hear both sides tell what they think the deal means and the judge has to approve the deal.

They do not have to make the details of the settlement known and lawyers can request that the details be sealed but they cannot get the judge or the DA to claim the case was dismissed when it was settled.