Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rookie CB's Excited to learn from Davis.

Lawrence Owen

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/5/15/15641804/colts-rookie-cornerbacks-excited-to-learn-as-much-as-possible-from-vontae-davis

When the Indianapolis Colts placed a big emphasis on improving the secondary in the NFL Draft, Vontae Davis realized that his role was changing.

He’s the veteran cornerback, the one who’s played far and away the most snaps at the position and the one many young guys will look to for leadership. Davis understands that and is embracing that, as he said shortly after the draft that he wants to “lead by example” and has acknowledged that it’s up to him and Darius Butler to “keep the room together and be leaders and role models.”

The Colts’ rookies are excited to learn from Davis too.

“Yeah, definitely,” said Quincy Wilson, the Colts’ second round cornerback. “I’ve got with him already. I have some questions, bouncing some things off of him. I’m definitely going to spend a lot of time with him so I can learn the ropes and just hit the ground running.”

Davis’ message to Wilson was quite simple: “He just told me, ‘You better be ready to come in and work because there are positions there,’ and I just have to come in and compete,” Wilson said.

Similarly, the Colts’ fifth round pick, cornerback Nate Hairston, is looking forward to learning from Davis too.

“Vontae is a guy that is a veteran,” Hairston said. “He’s played this game at a high level, been to Pro Bowls. I just want to pick his brain and learn everything I can from him seeing as he is a vet who has played very well in this league.”

Wilson and Hairston are the two most prominent young cornerbacks on the roster right now because they’re the ones the Colts drafted this year, but there are plenty of other young players at the position too who will be trying to learn all they can from Davis, a two-time Pro Bowler who has played in 115 games in his NFL career.

It’s a very young position group, and that’s true of the rest of the secondary. The safety position is likewise young, outside of veteran Darius Butler, and it is also headlined by a notable draft pick in Malik Hooker. All throughout the secondary, Davis’ message to Wilson rings true: there are spots to be won. There are positions open, as Chuck Pagano admitted over the weekend that the secondary competition is “wide open back there.” As these young players continue to develop on the field, they’ll have the chance to learn from a veteran who has produced and has been there in Vontae Davis.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

IMO- this is great for our future.  Davis' only issue has been consistency, (and maybe using his 'arm hook' too much).  But his ability to shadow receiver is outstanding when healthy.  Hairston and Wilson being in Davis' hip pocket can only lead to good things for Indy.  Butler as well.  He may be labeled as a safety now, but his playmaking abilities at nickel were outstanding.  Knowing when to break in front of a receiver has given Butler many, many opportunities for big plays.  (some of which he's cashed in).

Learning from Vontae can only help them improve just as much as Robert Mathis staying around to help the new young pass rushers.

But working with Vontae will definitely help them out with their press especially with Wilson since press is one of his many strengths  

If Green, Hooker, and Wilson can all come out and play well, our defense will be top 15. I like the way they make it sound in terms of improving, but I'll have to see it on the field to believe it. The competition, I can almost feel, which is way different than last year, where you knew who was coming out and starting. This year, I feel like so many different players could take the starting job, at any position. 

3 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Does Vontae just tell them "get prepared for Tom Brady" ? 

lmao

Jk, I love Vontae. If I were a new guy on the team I'd soak up any advice he'd give me in hopes of making me better. 

Lmaooooo that's an all time favorite comment