Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Hankins interesting comment..

MarquisJ

Not a top defensive team, won't be for a couple more years,  but if we can at least be a top 15 or 20 team that should be enough to get us into the playoffs considering we were dead last in almost everything and only needed one defensive stop, or one first down, or one touchdown which was the difference between winning and losing several games last year.

From the article, here's the quote of what he said ...

""Right now I feel like we got probably the best defense in the AFC," Hankins said. "On paper, it looks good, but we've got to go out there and prove it. We've got a great quarterback here, as y'all know, Andrew Luck, and some great weapons on offense. So, if we can just come together during OTAs, and once training camp starts, get a good feel of everybody and just trust each other, I feel like we'll be real dominant out there."

"Chris [Ballard] did a tremendous job bringing a lot of guys in here, even going into the draft he brought even more defensive guys in here -- and of course we got a couple [Ohio State] Buckeyes on defense, so that's just going to help us and improve us out there," Hankins said. "I just love the new atmosphere we got going on in here about winning, and ready to take the next step with a new team.""

And as summed up by the article's author, Kevin Patra ...

"The ex-New York Giants defender told NFL Network's Good Morning Football he believes the Colts can be one of the best units in the AFC in 2017.

With the Colts looking for a turnaround following two seasons missing the playoffs, the Titans becoming favorites to win the division, the Texans owning a playoff-caliber roster if they can figure out the QB, and the Jaguars' perpetual offseason optimism, the AFC South has a chance to be the most entertaining division in the NFL in 2017."

• Love it. The great defenses of all time all had that swagger. I think he knows that this team is young and is trying to give them some early confidence going into the season. If he can convince these young guys to buy into that mentality we could see good things this year. The more I hear from Hankins, the more I like him. He seems to be a leader. Something we haven't had in quite a while honestly. You desperately need those guys in a locker room full of young guys. All he has to do next is lead by example. 

7 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

From the article, here's the quote of what he said ...

""Right now I feel like we got probably the best defense in the AFC," Hankins said. "On paper, it looks good, but we've got to go out there and prove it. We've got a great quarterback here, as y'all know, Andrew Luck, and some great weapons on offense. So, if we can just come together during OTAs, and once training camp starts, get a good feel of everybody and just trust each other, I feel like we'll be real dominant out there."

"Chris [Ballard] did a tremendous job bringing a lot of guys in here, even going into the draft he brought even more defensive guys in here -- and of course we got a couple [Ohio State] Buckeyes on defense, so that's just going to help us and improve us out there," Hankins said. "I just love the new atmosphere we got going on in here about winning, and ready to take the next step with a new team.""

And as summed up by the article's author, Kevin Patra, "The ex-New York Giants defender told NFL Network's Good Morning Football he believes the Colts can be one of the best units in the AFC in 2017."

Thanks for posting this, some context was needed. Lord knows I'd have nothing against having the best D in the AFC this year, but I'm not holding my breath for that, top 20 would be a massive improvement from a year ago. But best in AFC does have a nice ring to it.

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Thanks for posting this, some context was important. Lord knows I'd have nothing against having the best D in the AFC this year, but I'm not holding my breath for that. Top 20 would be a massive improvement from a year ago.

Yeah, I do think context is important, for the article tagline otherwise just looks like unfounded bravado.  I like what he is saying.  In fact, though, if he (or anybody else on the Colts) DIDN'T think they could be amongst the best, I would be very concerned.  Confidence is huge, but of course, like Hankins said, they have to go out and prove it on the field.

For all of those saying 4 seasons away and what not can I ask why?

We have a very talented D-Line with Hankins, Anderson, Ridgeway, Langford at the core.  I'm hard pressed to find 10 better combos in the AFC.

We have a very talented backfield with Hooker, Butler, Davis, Wilson, Geathers.  Again hard pressed to find 10 better combos. 

The linebacker core is definitely the weak spot but with Sheard and Simon we could see a huge significant boost.

Lets wait and see :)

If they can all get on the same page, it will be a force to be reckoned with. The opposing quarterbacks besides a select few will definitely struggle against our defense, for like the first time ever. And all opposing quarterbacks will definitely notice a difference in our defense. 

1 hour ago, MarquisJ said:

Jonathan Hankins believes Colts on paper have the best defense in the afc! Over teams teams like the Broncos & Texans etc. What are you guys thoughts on this? Personally I think it could be true and love the confidence!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000808784/article/johnathan-hankins-colts-have-the-best-d-in-the-afc

No one wins on paper but I love it I watched the interview I kinda laughed when the chick said Indy Fans complained about the lack of Colts coverage IMO we will see plenty of coverage when the Colts stop the run & win games there will be plenty to talk about .

I love his confidence. You never know what kind of defense we'll have. However I think we can have the best defense if everyone is on the same page like he said. We needed that nastiness for along time. I've been saying it for years. We need hitters and that's what Ballard got. I'm behind our guys and what they believe in 100%

14 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

We have a very talented D-Line with Hankins, Anderson, Ridgeway, Langford at the core.  I'm hard pressed to find 10 better combos in the AFC.

We have a very talented backfield with Hooker, Butler, Davis, Wilson, Geathers.  Again hard pressed to find 10 better combos. 

The linebacker core is definitely the weak spot but with Sheard and Simon we could see a huge significant boost.

I do think our D-line is solid with adding Hankins but the DB combo you refer too has two players yet to play a snap.  An oft-injured Geathers and hopefully Davis plays like he use to and can stay healthy as well.  So I will not say we are a top combo in that aspect.

18 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

The linebackers aren't going to be weak as people think.

We replaced aging players with faster young ones.

It's unlikely but not impossible. The Panthers had one of the most potent offenses in the league two years ago. They didn't have the most talented guys but everything clicked for them. No reason we can't have the same kind of luck on defense this season. 

59 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

4 seasons is an eternity, it'll be massively improved this season, but not world-beaters by any means. After one more draft and a few more FA acquisitions, top 10 is very realistic.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Thanks for posting this, some context was needed. Lord knows I'd have nothing against having the best D in the AFC this year, but I'm not holding my breath for that, top 20 would be a massive improvement from a year ago. But best in AFC does have a nice ring to it.

Exactly. Context was needed to put into perspective what he was meaning.

I can see a few made comments without really taking in the context of his statement and how he explained it.

4 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

4 seasons is an eternity, it'll be massively improved this season, but not world-beaters by any means. After one more draft and a few more FA acquisitions, top 10 is very realistic.

If we can stay on track and this offseason works out, on top of next season, we could be just like the team Hankins just came from. He's been on a stinker that was turned into a top defensive team in one offseason.

I'm not sure anyone here has preached patience more than I have....

But even I have never preached to be patient for 4 years!

I appreciate the optimism that Hankins has,  but the best defense in the AFC?       No.    Not happening.

It will be Improved.    Likely middle of the pack including the whole NFL....    but it won't be a playoff caliber defense just yet.     These things take time....      and patience.

Players tend to be pretty optimistic too.  

But I think it's absurdly optimistic to think the Colts have the best defense in the AFC.  

We don't have a JJ Watt or a Von Miller type impact player on the Colts yet.  And we would need that kind of player to have that kind of defense.  

Don't get me wrong I do think we are a lot better on defense.  But best in the AFC.  Not likely.  

3 hours ago, bababooey said:

Not a top defensive team, won't be for a couple more years,  but if we can at least be a top 15 or 20 team that should be enough to get us into the playoffs considering we were dead last in almost everything and only needed one defensive stop, or one first down, or one touchdown which was the difference between winning and losing several games last year.

With FA and if the drafts are really good we could potentially have a top defensive team after the 2018 draft.  

Potentially though.  Things would have to work out extremely well in both FA signings and the draft for that to happen.