Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on Quincy Wilson ???

COLTS449

A lot of people are saying he's not going to be able to play corner in the NFL. They think he's best suited at safety. IMO. That's bull __. I see a very, very talented corner back prospect with the ability to be a number 1, and at worst a very good number 2 corner. He has the tools to be a physical, lockdown, press man corner who'll immediately step in as our number 2 oppo Vontae and flourish as a rookie. He'll have his ups and downs, but I think he's gonna be very good from week 1 on, and end up being a great pick. I just think he's a corner all day and I don't get why everybody is doubting this. In fact, I would say the ones who think he'll end up being a safety don't know football very well. But yeah. I wanted to see what people thought. So what's everybody's opinions, thoughts, etc ??????

29 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

A lot of people are saying he's not going to be able to play corner in the NFL. They think he's best suited at safety. IMO. That's bull __. I see a very, very talented corner back prospect with the ability to be a number 1, and at worst a very good number 2 corner. He has the tools to be a physical, lockdown, press man corner who'll immediately step in as our number 2 oppo Vontae and flourish as a rookie. He'll have his ups and downs, but I I think he's gonna be very good from week 1 on, and end up being a great pick. I just think he's a corner all day and I don't get why everybody is doubting this. In fact, I would say the ones who think he'll end up being a safety don't know football very well. But yeah. I wanted to see what people thought. So what's everybody's opinions, thoughts, etc ??????

I think they say it because he was playing Safety coming out of high school. That along with him running a 4.5. I have very little doubt he can play corner though.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

A lot of people are saying he's not going to be able to play corner in the NFL. They think he's best suited at safety. IMO. That's bull __. I see a very, very talented corner back prospect with the ability to be a number 1, and at worst a very good number 2 corner. He has the tools to be a physical, lockdown, press man corner who'll immediately step in as our number 2 oppo Vontae and flourish as a rookie. He'll have his ups and downs, but I think he's gonna be very good from week 1 on, and end up being a great pick. I just think he's a corner all day and I don't get why everybody is doubting this. In fact, I would say the ones who think he'll end up being a safety don't know football very well. But yeah. I wanted to see what people thought. So what's everybody's opinions, thoughts, etc ??????

Love Quincy Wilson! IMO, he has a chance to be the best corner in the draft. I see Lattimore as a bust. Kevin King drafted way too high. Conley and Humphrey are a bit better, but Quincy Wilson can be as good potentially, if not better in a couple years after the draft. He's young right now, and that's the only reason I think he may struggle. IMO, he's a shutdown corner that should of went round 1 in a weaker draft.

51 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think they say it because he was playing Safety coming out of high school. That along with him running a 4.5. I have very little doubt he can play corner though.

These obsessions with 40 times is really annoying 

"He ran a 4.6, he won't be good"

When did 40 times start determining talent? Vikings got Dalvin Cook and first thing they brought up was his "slow" 40.

Game speed and combine speed is completely different 

10 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

When did 40 times start determining talent? Vikings got Dalvin Cook and first thing they brought up was his "slow" 40.

I agree although Cook ran 4.4 at his pro day and 4.5 at the combine. His name shouldn't be on anybodies lips for being slow. And when it comes to Quincy Wilson he will be fine.

4 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

It's the primary cause of why there are so many first round busts these days. GMs and scouts look at 40 times, and combine and pro days, and raise these players on their board far above what they should be. Game tape should be the biggest factor in determining how good a player is. Combine and pro days can be beneficial, but you aren't facing any competition, so of course a fast 40 is more likely there. Combine speed is one or two times, and usually game speed ranges from 1-4 years. I know what I'll choose. 

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

I see a Aqib Talib type of impact with his size and ball skills

Glad you guys are agreeing with me. I think the sky's the limit. Like I said. I think he can be a stud number 1, or at least a very, very good number 2 corner. And if he's a number 2 he'll be a part of a dominant duo. I'm really high on him. He may have his ups and downs as expected this coming season, but for the most part I think he'll play very well from week 1 on and be one of several key rookies on our team. And who's worried about 40 times ??? If teams had worried about that like most do Peters would have been a 3rd RD pick. But he's a top 10 corner in the NFL and didn't he have a similar 40 time as Wilson???

7 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Glad you guys are agreeing with me. I think the sky's the limit. Like I said. I think he can be a stud number 1, or at least a very, very good number 2 corner. And if he's a number 2 he'll be a part of a dominant duo. I'm really high on him. He may have his ups and downs as expected this coming season, but for the most part I think he'll play very well from week 1 on and be one of several key rookies on our team. And who's worried about 40 times ??? If teams had worried about that like most do Peters would have been a 3rd RD pick. But he's a top 10 corner in the NFL and didn't he have a similar 40 time as Wilson???

Everything that I know about Quincy Wilson suggests he will be a great player. He's a football player. He's a shutdown corner. He's doing this at a young age. His 40 time isn't terrible by any stretch of the imagination like Teez Tabor or someone similar. He could have the potential to be the Colts no1 CB easy, and easily a top 5 CB in the NFL if he reaches his potential. By how he plays and how young he is, I think he could do it. If anyone wants to feel even better after what I said, I would of picked him there in the draft just like Ballard after everyone else went in the 2nd round.

The Colts got two excellent DB prospects in the first two rounds that both have the make up of building blocks for the secondary.

I like Quincy Wilson a lot. I figured him as one of those high ceiling low floor type players - a boom or bust if you will. But I think he will fit in well here and thrive. Excellent ball skills, he's aggressive, he's physical and he's still got a lot to improve on. 

I think he'll have a large learning curve. In fact, I can already see some forum members here freaking out if/when he gets burned or caught out of position haha. Just part of the process. He's gonna get better with experience. Hopefully he can stay healthy and on the field to gain said experience. 

The Colts D finally got an injection of talent. Now the coaches have to find a way to utilize and groom that talent correctly. 

I'm not worried about the 40 time. 4.5 is good enough at corner. Plus hes got really long arms. He can impede you in press. Even if you do get past him he can reach out with his arm length and swat the ball away often times.

Just now, krunk said:

I'm not worried about the 40 time. 4.5 is good enough at corner. Plus hes got really long arms. He can impede you in press. Even if you do get past him he can reach out with his arm length and swat the ball away often times.

Absolutely, this pick will help in the present and future more than we can imagine. Thank God this draft was heavy on CB depth or he would of went in the 1st round.

My only nitpick with him is in the run game and its mostly from the Alabama film, but ive seen it in other games. The tackling can be shoddy. Hes too damn big not to have laid some of those backs out. Instead he came with some light in the pants type stuff and missed the tackles. I want to see improvement in that area.

I think he can be a shutdown corner in the NFL.

However he is very grabby and the NFL that won't work. The refs will continue to throw flag after flag.

He might end up with good stats but have the most penalties on the team as well.

4 hours ago, krunk said:

4.5. is actually decent better than what his teammate from Florida ran Tabor 4.75 which is awful for a DB prospect.

4 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I've only seen one person (Sam Casserly?) take issue with this pick. The consensus from everyone else seems to be that this dude's gonna be a stud. 

Who said he can't play CB?  About everything I've read says it was a good pick.  He's perfect for press-man.  About the only negative I've read is that he uses his hands sometimes TOO much and sometimes gets called for it.  That is a little variation in technique the coaches can fix though.  I would be surprised if he's not the starter in Game 1 if healthy.

This guy put me in mind of a young Richard Sherman of Seattle. From his combine numbers to his confidence/attitude. For someone who can only run 4.56, (outside of last year) he seems to be doing pretty well at CB in the Seattle.

I think the same will be said of Quincy W. one day.

I think he will be successful IF we use hooker over top on his side, rather than helping vontae. Vontae has already been vocal about what he is hoping to bring this season. I am imagining a lot of vontae locking his guy down, so we can shift the defense to play to more guys strengths'. I think the trio of Sheard, Spence, and Simon will be as important as any other moves we made on defense. *draftees and Hankins*

3 hours ago, life long said:

I think he will be successful IF we use hooker over top on his side, rather than helping vontae. Vontae has already been vocal about what he is hoping to bring this season. I am imagining a lot of vontae locking his guy down, so we can shift the defense to play to more guys strengths'. I think the trio of Sheard, Spence, and Simon will be as important as any other moves we made on defense. *draftees and Hankins*

This is exactly what we should do lol especially if vontae is 100%

12 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Who said he can't play CB?  About everything I've read says it was a good pick.  He's perfect for press-man.  About the only negative I've read is that he uses his hands sometimes TOO much and sometimes gets called for it.  That is a little variation in technique the coaches can fix though.  I would be surprised if he's not the starter in Game 1 if healthy.

I use NFL.Com Draft Tracker every year

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/quincy-wilson?id=2557961

I like Draft Tracker, but with this one I couldn't disagree more. The comp and "bottom line" are both terrible and will * you off as it did me.

5 hours ago, MightyLucks said:

He's going to be really good. His 40 time doesn't bother me. It was faster than Richard Sherman's and I believe Vontaes too. 

The kid will be a #1

I think he needs to work on his press at the line of scrimmage because he doesn't have the speed to make up if most receivers get behind or past him. His long arms help but he needs to excel in press if he wants to be good. We've seen that Vontae and Richard have issues with fast receivers (TY/AB). If Quincy plays early he is going to get tested a TON....so he better have thick skin because it's a no brainer to go after a rookie as opposed to Vontae. I hope we coach him up good.

He's going to be great....with time  He's going to make mistakes but hopefully Malik will have his back and If Vontae plays like his 2014 self our secondary will be a force.  I know Malik will be awesome but I have high high hopes for Q.

I'm just hoping for the best when it comes to Quincy. Ballard is known for drafting great talent at the CB position; look what he's done in KC.

I like that he's a bigger CB that likes to get physical. The Colts need that kind of presence on this defense. I think Wilson and Hooker's abilities go hand in hand with what Ballard is trying to accomplish here.

I honestly can't wait to see what the Colts do next off-season with free agency, the draft, and more importantly I can see CB bringing in his own HC.

Praying for Harbaugh.

On 5/14/2017 at 1:02 PM, dgambill said:

I think he needs to work on his press at the line of scrimmage because he doesn't have the speed to make up if most receivers get behind or past him. His long arms help but he needs to excel in press if he wants to be good. We've seen that Vontae and Richard have issues with fast receivers (TY/AB). If Quincy plays early he is going to get tested a TON....so he better have thick skin because it's a no brainer to go after a rookie as opposed to Vontae. I hope we coach him up good.

Yeah, he's a little flat footed when pressing, and good receivers will get behind him. A speedster will cook him right off the line. And just like virtually every other corner, he struggles in off man coverage, and wants to get his hands on you right away. 

But, unlike Tabor, he plays with confidence in his ability and technique, not giving up 8+ yard cushions every other down. Wilson reminds me of a bigger Vontae, to be honest. You can put him on an island and he'll lock down, and he'll fight to get the ball and take it away. 

On 5/14/2017 at 6:33 AM, life long said:

Hooker can play hash to sideline from release point, he's got them both my dude! I'm hoping for big things out of Sheard, Spence will have a strong competition with A Walk Jr for the Will spot, and Simon will start this year but I think Basham will be hot on his heels come 2018. 

41 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, he's a little flat footed when pressing, and good receivers will get behind him. A speedster will cook him right off the line. And just like virtually every other corner, he struggles in off man coverage, and wants to get his hands on you right away. 

But, unlike Tabor, he plays with confidence in his ability and technique, not giving up 8+ yard cushions every other down. Wilson reminds me of a bigger Vontae, to be honest. You can put him on an island and he'll lock down, and he'll fight to get the ball and take it away. 

Yea he had a tendency to lunge at WRs on the line but when he maintains balance and doesn't over commit to his punch he has a great back pedal with a nice hip flip. I think these are things that are very coachable, plus he has a guy like Vontae who has great press tech.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

As long as hooker is healthy im not worried about speeders burning him