Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Most impactful new Colt

BProland85

Of all the new additions to this team, both in free agency and the draft, who do you see making the most immediate impact? 

My pick is NT Johnathan Hankins. It was between him and Hooker for me but since Hankins is already proven I went with him. Indy hasn't had a NT like this since the 3-4 defense was brought over to Indy. Could make everyone else better on the defense. 

I have to go with Hankins as well. Proven success with NYG, and their defense (mainly run D, corners weren't very good) was solid. Our run defense will leap in the rankings this year with this addition. Another note however: Pagano sounded like he loved the way Anthony Walker took control of our defense. That sounds like a future signal-caller to me, and we definitely need one. I think he can, if he gets his speed back, be a very impactful player. 

24 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Hankins with Hooker a close second.

Agree.  Might already be the 3rd and 4th best players on the team.  If Hooker forces turnovers, it's him.

Hopefully they just play better as a unit, and I think they will.  How could they not?  Can't get any worse.

54 minutes ago, #12. said:

Agree.  Might already be the 3rd and 4th best players on the team.  If Hooker forces turnovers, it's him.

Hopefully they just play better as a unit, and I think they will.  How could they not?  Can't get any worse.

Careful what you put out there in the universe, the football gods work in mysterious ways...

I think it will be hard for any of these guys to make major impacts by themselves and it may be hard to really quantify this as the season progresses.  Last year, I thought the worst positions on the defense were ILB1, ILB2, CB2, and the combination of Mathis/Cole at one of the OLB spots (we were not a threat to hit the opposing passer), followed by S when Adams and/or Geathers was hurt and the DL was nothing outstanding.  On the offense, the right side of our line struggled most of the year but seemed to grow as the year went on and I wasn't too pleased with our WR corps aside from TY.

Hankins should provide an immediate upgrade to our DL (the run for sure, and he did have 7 sacks a few years ago when he was healthy the entire year).  His ability to eat blockers should help our LBs in both the run game and pass rush (which helps our secondary tremendously).  If he's producing sacks himself, that's great, too.  I would say at the end of the day, he's not going to be a guy who is putting up huge numbers, but he doesn't have to in order to make a huge impact.  Another year of recovery for Anderson and the return of Langford should also help a lot here.

Sean Spence at ILB is someone I am excited about, and I expect him to win a starting ILB spot.  Since we were pretty poor at this position last year, I expect him to be a big upgrade here.  With an improved DL (assuming the previous paragraph plays out), he has a shot at producing large numbers at least as far as tackling goes. 

Jabaal Sheard at OLB has had 5 or more sacks in 5 of 6 seasons.  If he can get to the QB for us, I think he's got a shot at having the biggest impact.  Last year teams had no fear of us in terms of rushing the passer, if we can put that fear back our secondary's job is made much easier.

Wilson at CB is a guy I'm fully expecting to come in and start at CB2.  We were awful here most of last year, so his impact should be noticed immediately.  Having a solid CB across from Vontae is a must for this team to succeed.  He's got a lot of confidence, but some knocks on him in terms of speed and movement.  I expect him to be a major upgrade but also expect he'll likely have some growing pains.

Hooker at S needs to get healthy first.  Sounds like he's got a very high football IQ for a guy who's only had a few years experience and like he's pretty diligent with the playbook and the film room.  I think, if healthy, he's gonna be an impact player in this league.  That said, I have a hard time being very optimistic it'll be immediate.

So on defense, we have new guys expected to start in every position group.  I think Hankins addition will prove the most beneficial immediately, but predict Sheard (10 sacks), Spence (80+ tackles), and Hooker (4 ints) will put up the most impressive numbers of the new guys.

On offense, I think our OL will be all guys coming back and hopefully having developed their games a bit more to solid.  Kamar Aiken is a guy I think can have an immediate impact.  My hope is Moncrief stays healthy, Dorsett makes a major leap and TY stays healthy and that we don't have to see a lot of Aiken, but reality is Aiken could become our #2 WR very quick.  On the offensive side of the ball, I predict Aiken will have the most impact on this team.

Then of course, we had the luxury of doing very well in the field position game with Patty Mac.  The new punter can't be expected to live up to Pat, but if we're having some of the same struggles we've had in the past 2 years on O and D, it's gonna be a long season if we don't have the legs to win some field position battles. 

Hankins is the clear choice and a lot of people are high on Hooker. I want it to be someone like Marlon Mack, but his opportunities will be limited since the Colts re-signed Turbin.

Quincy Wilson. Colts haven't had a true #2 CB since we got Davis. This is one guy I really hope turns into a stud.

10 hours ago, LuckyHooker24 said:

Hankins is the clear choice and a lot of people are high on Hooker. I want it to be someone like Marlon Mack, but his opportunities will be limited since the Colts re-signed Turbin.

Quincy Wilson. Colts haven't had a true #2 CB since we got Davis. This is one guy I really hope turns into a stud.

I still think Gore is our workhorse at RB.  He's 1,036 yards away from becoming the 4th all-time leading rusher and he is coming off a 1,000 yard season behind what was mostly a make-shift line.  He's going to be as motivated as ever and he's still playing at a very high level.

I hope we get to see enough of Mack to get some glimpses as to what we may expect in the future, but I don't expect Gore to be replaced.  They may say they want to rest him a bit, but I think he's going to be angry if he's not our bell cow.

I, too, hope Wilson turns into a stud.  That said, if we don't have a pass rush our secondary is going to struggle (the additions of Sheard, Mingo, Basham, Hankins, Stewart, and Simon may help but I don't expect any of them to be studs right away -- if we do get a very solid pass-rush, I somewhat expect it to be in hybrid packages with Green and Geathers rushing as hybrid LB/safety types).

I didn't put him in a more detailed write-up above, but Basham could very well be a sleeper pick here.  He's got a lot of improvement to make to succeed at  this level (IMO), but he put up some pretty impressive sack numbers in his college career.  Hopefully Mathis will help some of our new additions develop. 

I'm in a hurry so I'm just gonna say something about the pass rush and my prediction of most impactful new player. So.....Sheard's had some 8-9 sack years. I could see him coming in and having his best years here and putting up 8-10 sacks this year. Simon kept getting better and better with Houston. He's an ascending player and I could see him put up 8-10 sacks as well. Basham was a steal in the 3rd. He has the tools to be a double digit sack machine year in, year out IMO. It might not show up until his 2nd season, but we got a great young talent here.

My prediction........Malik Hooker. Look for 12-15 PD's, and 5-8 INT's.

This offseason the New Colt addition with the MOST immediate impact... it's BALLARD.

Both: Immediate & long term impact = CB

As for a new Colts player, should be Hankins due to his position on the field in relation to the ball; a NT can affect more plays than a S, whether it's a Run/Pass a DLinemen can be a game wrecker on any play.

15 hours ago, BlueTruth said:

This offseason the New Colt addition with the MOST immediate impact... it's BALLARD.

Both: Immediate & long term impact = CB

As for a new Colts player, should be Hankins due to his position on the field in relation to the ball; a NT can affect more plays than a S, whether it's a Run/Pass a DLinemen can be a game wrecker on any play.

They can affect the play more but it wont show up on the stat sheet. Sadly all linemen get lost in a modern sports world obsessed with stats.

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 9:46 AM, dodsworth said:

His job is most secured out of all the newcomers. 

Sarcasm is hard to read sometimes. :-)

I liked the tape of the udfa we signed for K/P. He was also given the most money of all our udfa's. I would not sleep on the kid. Locke is coming off a sub-par year as well. Anything can happen IMO.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 5:01 AM, LuckyHooker24 said:

I think if Marlon gets in there and breaks off a couple nice runs like I think he will his carries will increase. As the season progresses Turbin may have to bite the bullet for the team again and take a small workload. We will see.

Here is my top 5:

1. Hankins NT it all starts up front.

2. Simon OLB I think this kid is going to surprise some people.

3. Wilson CB. The best corner Vontae has had across from in Indy

4. Spence ILB the best ILB on the roster He should benefit from #1. 

5. Hooker FS a true center fielder with ridiculous range. If he's ready for camp he could easily climb to 2nd on this list. He will make life easier on our CB's. 

I hope to be sliding Hodges on the list very soon. 

On 5/15/2017 at 0:28 PM, COLTS449 said:

I'm in a hurry so I'm just gonna say something about the pass rush and my prediction of most impactful new player. So.....Sheard's had some 8-9 sack years. I could see him coming in and having his best years here and putting up 8-10 sacks this year. Simon kept getting better and better with Houston. He's an ascending player and I could see him put up 8-10 sacks as well. Basham was a steal in the 3rd. He has the tools to be a double digit sack machine year in, year out IMO. It might not show up until his 2nd season, but we got a great young talent here.

My prediction........Malik Hooker. Look for 12-15 PD's, and 5-8 INT's.

Love the optimism. :)