Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Strength and Conditioning Challenges

Archer

I think our strength and conditioning staff will have their hands full with three of our draftees this year.  I expect that all three will get redshirt seasons as we’re getting them to proper weights and improving their physical traits:

1)      Zach Banner.  Seems like a terrible fit and pick to most of us.  What the team is probably thinking is that getting him to a correct playing weight will result in the minimal mobility necessary to be a power RT.  He was playing at almost 390 most of the time, so of course he struggled.  Now, his abysmal combine numbers were at a lower weight of 353 pounds; however, getting down to a weight that enables a player to gain mobility and retain his strength is a trickier process that takes some time.  This is where our strength and conditioning staff will earn their money.  I’m not too hopeful, since he’s coming from a program that certainly had a nearly NFL-quality strength and conditioning program (not from Watsamatta U., as Grigson would say).  In fact, if I had to guess at the three best programs in college football, I’d say Ohio St., Alabama, and USC would have the best strength and conditioning programs.

2)      Anthony Walker Jr.  Such a weird case.  Would have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick after his RSoph season.  Respected draftniks said he had sideline-to-sideline range and was really good in coverage (having run step-for-step with Christian McCaffrey in coverage that year).  Then, he gained 20 pounds of muscle.  From this year’s tape, he has limited range and can’t cover.  He’s from a school that certainly doesn’t have a good training staff, and he probably bulked up in a way that compromised his quickness and flexibility.   I really think that the NFL strength and conditioning program will be the key to getting him back on track.  I’m hoping that some of the false steps and other technical flaws many have noted from this past year resulted from his uncertainty about his new body (kind of like how teenagers on extreme growth spurts can get really clumsy as they break in their new, longer limbs).

3)      Grover Stewart.  For some reason, NFL.com has him listed at 6’5, 295.  It’s easy to see which draft reviewers are using that misinformation, as they say he’s notably unathletic for his size.  In reality, it’s the opposite.  His PD size was 6’4, 347 (seriously, they’re off by 52 pounds!).   He was actually quite quick for his size, and he’s strong as an ox.  Truly, he already has an NFL body and athleticism.  He is an athletic lump of clay who needs a year to learn proper technique.  The reason the strength and conditioning staff will have to spend a lot of time with him is that he is figuratively coming from Watsamatta U.  I can’t imagine that Albany State did more than point him towards the track and the weight room.  In this instance, the Colts’ staff has an opportunity to make him even quicker and stronger at the same time the coaching staff is teaching him proper technique.  He could be a beast by his second season.

On a totally unrelated note: rumored tryout player Chris Lyles (CB from Mississippi College) could be an interesting player.  Best I could tell, he was 6’4, 200 pounds at his PD, and he ran a 4.40 forty.  But the most interesting thing was this quote:  "I want them (NFL scouts) to know that I've been overrated.  Been the underdog for a long time and it's time for the dog to come out the gate."  Not only misused “overrated” (he obviously meant “underrated”), but he either got lost in his dog metaphor and strayed into horse-racing or was completing a rare dog-racing metaphor.  Or maybe he was talking about a dog that’s been locked up in a yard, and the gate has nothing to do with racing.  Who knows…?  I’m just hope he gets to TC so we can hear some more goofy quotes!

All three of the draft picks have high ceilings, which doesn't always translate to performance.  Every team has great strength and conditioning coaches, as well as top notch facilities.  Its up to those guys to take advantage of them.  

After college players usually can't count on their physical abilities alone.  Everyone in the NFL is good.  So a lot of it is mental, learning technique and knowing assignments.   The physical part of the game can only take you so far.  

To feed off of this these players also have a full-time job now and are not in college anymore.  They have to get better at technique and learning the NFL game.  The speed of the game is different, every player is good, and now they have competition that can take their paycheck away.  You either get better and more fit for the position or you disappear.  Banner said he always struggled with his weight but now if he wants to play in the NFL that is not an excuse anymore.  You keep it under control or you're gone. Learn technique and improve or your gone.  That goes for everyone not just these 3 players. 

Walker tried to add weight and it hurt his overall abilities as ILB.  With the 3-4 scheme he would be a better fit as a Will and not the Mike.  IMO he will be sitting behind Spence and Jackson and might not even make the final 53.  He might spend a year on the PS.  Weight will be key but getting him back to 230ish and letting him learn NFL speed will help him.  I give him at least 1 if not 2 years before he is a factor.  He has good upside though IMO.

I agree with most of this.  Banner needs a nutritionist (and a trainer) and the desire to make changes.  He will get both with the Colts.  If he listens he will be able to control his weight.  Walker will be interesting to follow.  The fact that he may be slower with the additional weight depends on how and where he gained weight.  If he gained it in the upper body as most of us would he will likely be slower as a result.  On the other hand if he gained most in the upper legs, hips, and core area, his running speed/explosiveness should not be affected.  Add ballistic exercises (plyometric drills) and speed could improve.  Of course this depends on body type and how much weight is gained.  That said, I agree it's not likely that he gets lots of playing time in the first half of the season outside of ST. 

I think Banner has the potential to be really good and it isn't strength, conditioning and diet I worry about.   I worry that he has the big mans lazy gene.  If so, he will never make it.  I heard a basketball scout say a lot of big guys really don't love basketball but they have the body and the opportunity and it pays well.  

5 hours ago, Smonroe said:

All three of the draft picks have high ceilings, which doesn't always translate to performance.  Every team has great strength and conditioning coaches, as well as top notch facilities.  Its up to those guys to take advantage of them.  

I don't quite get the last part. They get paid to do a job and part of that is to be in form, which might also correspond to reaching a specific weight bracket. The strength and conditioning coaches hopefully set a clear plan, why should it be voluntary whether the players reach that goal or not? It clearly should not be. 

I'm not responding specifically to you, I just don't understand this. It is part of their job not to eat to much or the wrong food anyway, right? What am I missing?

1 hour ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

I don't quite get the last part. They get paid to do a job and part of that is to be in form, which might also correspond to reaching a specific weight bracket. The strength and conditioning coaches hopefully set a clear plan, why should it be voluntary whether the players reach that goal or not? It clearly should not be. 

I'm not responding specifically to you, I just don't understand this. It is part of their job not to eat to much or the wrong food anyway, right? What am I missing?

Well, not to be snarky, but you're missing hundreds of great athletes who had all the potential in the world, everything going for them, and they threw it all away.  

You know the examples, from Lawrence Phillips to Hernandez, to Trent, etc...

So to answer your question, yes it's their job.  And like a certain coach says 'Just do your job!'   Doesn't always turn out that way.  

11 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Well, not to be snarky, but you're missing hundreds of great athletes who had all the potential in the world, everything going for them, and they threw it all away.  

You know the examples, from Lawrence Phillips to Hernandez, to Trent, etc...

So to answer your question, yes it's their job.  And like a certain coach says 'Just do your job!'   Doesn't always turn out that way.  

Don't worry, you're not being snarky at all, I just feel like there need to be a change of mentality about this somehow. A team invest a lot in a player, and not keeping the weight or being fit shouldn't be an issue, but for some it apparently is. What I'm getting at is that it should be down to something more than just self-motivation. Ballard strikes me as someone who might see it the same way. But I digress, sorry.