Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interesting tidbit re: Mack's scheme versatlity

myic90

Found this comment from the owner of soflobulls.com channel which is the youtube channel for all things USF.

" Let me drop some knowledge here. Marlon Mack is a fluid, dynamic homer hitting tailback. I watched Mack from his first collegiate snap in 2014 through this past season from the press box. Mack tied the USF single game rushing record with 275 yards and four touchdowns in his first game ever as a true freshman. Three of the touchdowns were from 50+ yards (62, 60, 56). Look at the highlight below.

I also want to comment on the style of offense and Mack’s ability to dominate the power run game. When Willie Taggart took over at USF the Bulls played power football, ground and pound. A scheme change in the spring of 2015 forced now Western Kentucky QB Mike White to transfer, and in came Quinton Flowers and the ‘Gulf Coast Offense’ (spread). Flowers started pulling down and running a ton as USF moved away from Power-I formations. Mack has the ability to standout regardless of offensive scheme. Anyone that only watches tape from 2016 is getting an extremely limited glimpse into Mack’s full skill set as a running back. Watch more tape boys, it never lies. "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3M1lrc0cdg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnfmABC8zVg

In those videos, you can clearly see Mack's vision between the tackles is quite good for those who were worried :)

I've seen some of everything in the film I've watched even before this. There's even film of him taking handoffs from traditional non spread quarterback under center formations. He can do it all. Inside or outside, great vision, quick feet, great acceleration, great size. Hes got just as much skill as some of the backs who were taken in the earlier rounds.

He's the guy I wanted if the Colts didn't take a RB early. IMO he's a steal in the 4th and will be our future back after this season.

Dude can take it to the house on any play.. Speed kills.. Spread the field with our speedy WR's and dump it off to the Mack Attack!

8 minutes ago, LuckyHooker24 said:

He's the guy I wanted if the Colts didn't take a RB early. IMO he's a steal in the 4th and will be our future back after this season.

Dude can take it to the house on any play.. Speed kills.. Spread the field with our speedy WR's and dump it off to the Mack Attack!

Me too.

I really like Mack he does make it look easy I cannot wait to watch him play .

Not since Edge have I been so pumped up about a RB I hope he can do as well in the NFL . 

I always get fired up for a new season but this one IMO can be a huge step forward for the franchise . On both sides of the ball starting with the O-line & now with the defensive upgrades via FA & the draft plus a young RB this season can't come soon enough ..

:colts:

6 hours ago, LuckyHooker24 said:

He was the guy I wanted to as wasnt impressed with the other backs homerun ability

54 minutes ago, Vinatieri4 said:

I don't know much about Mack. I don't watch much college football though.

If he is as talented as people say he is, then how come he was picked in the fourth round? 

usf has gotten bigger but they are still a smaller school when it comes to Florida, so didn't get as much hype as a cook or some of the other gators, canes, and noles.but he has home run ability has shown flashes of being physical,but between frank and turbs wearing people down, mack is going to compliment them beautifully with his speed .

1 hour ago, Vinatieri4 said:

If he is as talented as people say he is, then how come he was picked in the fourth round? 

I dunno, why was Robert Mathis picked in the 5th?

1 hour ago, Vinatieri4 said:

Probably combination of these factors I've gathered:

- Ran against fairly light boxes quite often compared to many other RBs in the class.

- High fumble rate.

- Bounces runs too eagerly to the outside, even when there is no need.

- Hasn't had much success running the ball between the tackles.

- Boom/bust: lot of big runs but also lot of runs that end up in negative yards or gains of less than couple of yards.

- Share of team carries declined each year.

3 minutes ago, Finball said:

- Ran against fairly light boxes quite often compared to many other RBs in the class.

- High fumble rate.

- Boom/bust: lot of big runs but also lot of runs that end up in negative yards or gains of less than couple of yards.

His fumble rate is about the same as dalvin cook

5 hours ago, Finball said:

- High fumble rate.

Wow, when you put it like that he sounds like a dumpster fire! haha

8 hours ago, Vinatieri4 said:

It was said this draft was so deep for the RBs, that teams could get 1st  - 2nd round talent in Later rounds and we took advantage of that.