Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Mathis is officially a volunteer coach.

Lawrence Owen

http://www.heraldbulletin.com/sports/colts-notebook-mathis-a-hit-as-volunteer-coach/article_d5a5dffa-351d-11e7-8956-bfc7445f6ab1.html

For those of you whom wanted to know if Mathis has been allowed to work with the pass rushers this season.  It is officially "YES!"

Apparently he not only shows up to coach, but the DC has said some very complimentary this about the first time coach.  Makes me wonder if this is not just a way for him to stick around the team, but also vying for a paid coaching position.  

He's pushed for this since the last game of the year last season, and you've more than likely seen him in multiple Colts oriented stuff, (like the Pagano leukemia rally, and announcing Colts draft picks.)  But until now, this is the first actually solid proof to outsiders not in the building or in the training sessions, that He has been accepted as a position coach. (although voluntarily).

He's obviously doing for the love of the game and the team.  He certainly doesn't need the money so I doubt he's vying for a full time coaching job.  But you never know, maybe that's his future.

I'm still irritated that we didn't keep Freeney a few years ago - If anyone watched the Cardinals season on Amazon, he was coaching up their guys too.  There's a ton these young guys can learn from veterans who aren't afraid to lose their jobs.

Just now, Smonroe said:

He's obviously doing for the love of the game and the team.  He certainly doesn't need the money so I doubt he's vying for a full time coaching job.  But you never know, maybe that's his future.

I'm still irritated that we didn't keep Freeney a few years ago - If anyone watched the Cardinals season on Amazon, he was coaching up their guys too.  There's a ton these young guys can learn from veterans who aren't afraid to lose their jobs.

I read some of Mathis commentary in another article and he said he was pretty certain he didn't want to be a full time coach.   But who knows though.

I get that Mathis is still trying to figure things out. It will take a little time. But what a great break for the Colts' pass rushers to have him around. Mathis, the ultimate overachiever; relentless worker; great team mate; dog loyal Colt. HIs presence is worth its weight in gold. If he can help mold and shape young Mr. Basham to match the production to the tools, the Colts will benefit for years to come. 

I love that he wants to stay and help the young guys.  Jabaal Sheard has already said that he loves working with Mathis and thinks it will be a huge help to his career as a pass rusher.  Hopefully everyone at the OLB position picks his brain and gets better for him.

I hope things improve in the pass rush department. Not only from the outside but from the middle of the D line, selective DB and ILB blitzes and better coverage in the back end. Having Mathis' input for the OLBs can only help. 

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

You don't know he might like to make a 2nd career out of coaching.  Doing this is a way that might get his foot in the door.  

4 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

http://www.heraldbulletin.com/sports/colts-notebook-mathis-a-hit-as-volunteer-coach/article_d5a5dffa-351d-11e7-8956-bfc7445f6ab1.html

For those of you whom wanted to know if Mathis has been allowed to work with the pass rushers this season.  It is officially "YES!"

Apparently he not only shows up to coach, but the DC has said some very complimentary this about the first time coach.  Makes me wonder if this is not just a way for him to stick around the team, but also vying for a paid coaching position.  

He's pushed for this since the last game of the year last season, and you've more than likely seen him in multiple Colts oriented stuff, (like the Pagano leukemia rally, and announcing Colts draft picks.)  But until now, this is the first actually solid proof to outsiders not in the building or in the training sessions, that He has been accepted as a position coach. (although voluntarily).

This is awesome!

this should also help with the transition of locker room leaders.

and he can still do his dance after wins.

now if we could get Reggie to come by on occasion.

21 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

This is awesome!

this should also help with the transition of locker room leaders.

and he can still do his dance after wins.

now if we could get Reggie to come by on occasion.

Mathis to coach pass rushers. Lets get wayne for the wrs. Then lets get manning to be oc or qb coach :scoregood:

I heard a sportswriter opining that Mathis didn't have the typical body type in the NFL and was wondering if he could coach bigger linemen. I don't know about that but if he can teach his swim move and some others to Basham, he'll certainly give the Colts there money's worth (lol). He will also teach the younger players how to be a pro. That's good stuff. Thank you Mr. Mathis.

20 minutes ago, bleevit said:

I heard a sportswriter opining that Mathis didn't have the typical body type in the NFL and was wondering if he could coach bigger linemen.

he was a little under sized for a defensive end, not over

34 minutes ago, bleevit said:

I heard a sportswriter opining that Mathis didn't have the typical body type in the NFL and was wondering if he could coach bigger linemen. I don't know about that but if he can teach his swim move and some others to Basham, he'll certainly give the Colts there money's worth (lol). He will also teach the younger players how to be a pro. That's good stuff. Thank you Mr. Mathis.

And the spin move slash strip sack

I'm just surprised that Robert didn't wanna give himself some more down time or family time for himself first. 

I welcome his pass rushing knowledge of course, but I just figured he'd need more R & R leisure time right now. 

Some guys are like that though. They can't sit still or idle very long. They've got be moving mentally or physically. 

Maybe it's just missing locker room chemistry or his wife told him to get outta the house for a few hours a week. Hey, that's why Tom Coughlin is working for the Jacksonville Jaguars at the moment. 

Just try not to immerse yourself into coaching too quickly. Pace yourself & gradually learn if coaching really motivates you or not.   

Just now, Smonroe said:

I agree 100% had Freeney and Mathis stuck around together that alone would bring so much life to the locker room. I remember those Freeney Mathis days very well they were some grown men QB haters.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

When their careers are over,  I hope we also bring back Mike Adams to assist with the DB's and Frank Gore to help with the RB's.

Both of those guys are respected winners.

I'd take Dqwell Jackson too he's a true pro