Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

11 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Nice post.

But man, it's not just a football game. It's a burning passion. This "game" is what we true Colts fans look forward to every week.  Our passion that we post crazy posts on here every 10 minutes to kill a little extra time until football starts up again. A "game" that makes us upset when it's week 10 because we only have 6 or 7 more games left in the season. This "football game" is a passion. It's one of the most important things in my life. Yes, in a literal sense, it's just a football game. But in reality, no.... it's not.  

Being a 'fan' does not necessary mean you have to be a full blown 'fanatic'. Not unless you are a professional gambler, the NFL does not pay your bills. It does not raise your kids. It does not effect you in any way except mentally.

The NFL is an escape from the daily grind of most lives and not meant to dominate you.

48 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

C'mon. It's a true statement. 

I didn't insult anybody. I'm just stating a fact.

You're job is likely not as tough as blocking JJ Watt in front of the entire world.

Yes there are exceptions. But I'll be the first to admit my job isn't that tough.

I am not sure you recognize fact vs. opinion.

And congrats on completely missing the point.

4 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I am not sure you recognize fact vs. opinion.

And congrats on completely missing the point.

So you think it's untrue to say that most people don't have jobs as tough as physically blocking a world class athlete who weighs over 300 lbs with an entire world of "experts" who couldnt block JJ Watts grandma talking % about your performance? Or covering a guy with world class speed? Or tackling an athlete like AP or Leveon Bell?

I call that common sense. 

56 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

I think that's silly.

Guys played these sports for a long time for almost zero money. I would play for free.

Its about the glory. Which only can come from the fans.

I strongly disagree.  Change the NFL salary cap to match the CFL's and see how many players still want to play.  You're talking about players making millions and holdout from camps so they can make more millions.  In general, these guys are doing it for the money.

12 hours ago, J@son said:

But, I'm pretty sure that was the crux of the OPs point :)

I interpreted it differently.  The OP said " if you played here and were a good citizen and you represented us out on the football field, then you deserve respect and honor in return from Colts fans ".  To me, that means regardless of performance, if you didn't get into trouble off of the field, you deserve respect.  Sure, as people, I respect Trent Richardson and Bjoern Werner.  As football players, they deserve the criticism they get.  They didn't play well.

10 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

C'mon. It's a true statement. 

I didn't insult anybody. I'm just stating a fact.

You're job is likely not as tough as blocking JJ Watt in front of the entire world.

Yes there are exceptions. But I'll be the first to admit my job isn't that tough.

His point was that since you don't know what others are doing, you shouldn't be judging and saying their jobs aren't as hard.  Which is more difficult: getting paid a 7 figure salary to block JJ Watt for a few hours a week, or having the pressure of someone's life in your hands as a neurosurgeon?  Not only that, but while most jobs might not be as physically taxing, it could be mentally and emotionally taxing.  Who has it more difficult: the NFL player making millions, or the single parent who has to work 2 full time jobs just to make ends meet?

2 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I strongly disagree.  Change the NFL salary cap to match the CFL's and see how many players still want to play.  You're talking about players making millions and holdout from camps so they can make more millions.  In general, these guys are doing it for the money.

I interpreted it differently.  The OP said " if you played here and were a good citizen and you represented us out on the football field, then you deserve respect and honor in return from Colts fans ".  To me, that means regardless of performance, if you didn't get into trouble off of the field, you deserve respect.  Sure, as people, I respect Trent Richardson and Bjoern Werner.  As football players, they deserve the criticism they get.  They didn't play well.

His point was that since you don't know what others are doing, you shouldn't be judging and saying their jobs aren't as hard.  Which is more difficult: getting paid a 7 figure salary to block JJ Watt for a few hours a week, or having the pressure of someone's life in your hands as a neurosurgeon?  Not only that, but while most jobs might not be as physically taxing, it could be mentally and emotionally taxing.  Who has it more difficult: the NFL player making millions, or the single parent who has to work 2 full time jobs just to make ends meet?

So telling someone their job is LIKELY not as hard as blocking JJ Watt is wrong.

But trashing a player long after he's gone for his performance is perfectly acceptable?

I guess I just have a hard time with someone take the position that I need to be more sensitive while simultaneously arguing against my request for people to be more sensitive, in a thread about people being more thoughtful about what they say. Especially considering I didn't make a personal statement towards anyone.

Also, your first point is just not true at all. 

Why did they play in the 70s, 60s, 50s & 40s and before then?

These athlete didn't start getting rich until the mid to late 80s. 

18 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

You know I have always enjoyed getting online and talking sports with like minded people. I have had the privilege to meet many great fans over the years because of my involvement in the online sports world, and it overall has always been a very enjoyable part of my fandom. But there has been a type of fan that has always really rubbed me the wrong way. I am talking about all of  the "that guy sucks" fans out there. You know him, every time you bring up a guy who isn't a favorite of theirs, the response is "that guy sucks". It doesn't so much bother me when they are speaking about a rival, that's natural to me to trash talk a rival. It bothers me when we speak about our own players in that light, every single time I hear it.

These guys go out there and put their bodies on the line FOR US. Yes they get rewarded monetarily, but we also get a reward for all of this or we wouldn't pay to witness it. We have become the fat king throwing apples at the jester who is merely trying to entertain us. We as fans have responsibility to the sport, because we also have an impact on the sport. We have a role to play, and we should want to play it well. After all, thats exactly what we demand from our athletes. Its about time we focused more on our own actions than their every move.

A wise man once said "We often forget that we are the atmosphere surrounding all of this", which in my experience with sports, has most definitely deteriorated. Believe it or not These athletes aren't treated with nearly the respect they used to be. As the money has increased for them, so has the criticism and lack of privacy. And while I agree that the bad ones don't deserve all the glory they receive, the good ones absolutely do, and they are being treated with the same lack of tact.

I am sick of hearing someone feel compelled to chime in every time a former Colts players name comes up with criticism of their time here. As far as I am concerned, if you played here and were a good citizen and you represented us out on the football field, then you deserve respect and honor in return from Colts fans. 

Something to think about.

IMO & many others Trent Richardson sucked according to my opinion & many hear no word could better describe his Colts career Hands of Stone  DHB same thing they were shown the money & failed . 

Jerry Hughes was not a fan favorite as I recall he sucked as a Colt but thrived as a Bill good for him .

As I think about it of course I respect them for trying yet no word can better describe my feelings as I look back .

And had my Colts drafted RG3 over Luck our colts would have sucked big time .

It is an appropriate term & should be used sparingly but used nonetheless .

6 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

So telling someone their job is LIKELY not as hard as blocking JJ Watt is wrong.

But trashing a player long after he's gone for his performance is perfectly acceptable?

The point is you don't know what everyone else is doing and what everyone else's situation is.  Maybe I'm just a cashier at the local Walmart, but maybe I'm working overtime hours everyday save money for a family member's medical treatment.  I'd rather be trying to block Watt for a 7 figure salary than working overtime while making minimum wage to keep a family member alive.

Also, your first point is just not true at all. 

Why did they play in the 70s, 60s, 50s & 40s and before then?

These athlete didn't start getting rich until the mid to late 80s.

What's your point?  When's the last time someone from the 1955 Baltimore Colts was criticized on the forums?  Athletes, celebrities, etc., they're all in the public eye.  They're subject to criticism.  You hope the criticism is constructive and mature, but you can't always expect that.  As players, I don't think they care; frankly, I'd be surprised if the players even checked the forums.  We don't need to be hyper-sensitive about this stuff and give everyone a compliment just for making it to the NFL.  Players earn what they are given, whether that is compliments and playing time, or criticism and benchings.

7 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

So telling someone their job is LIKELY not as hard as blocking JJ Watt is wrong.        yes   Fireman police  armed forces much harder that a game .

But trashing a player long after he's gone for his performance is perfectly acceptable?     yes

I guess I just have a hard time with someone take the position that I need to be more sensitive while simultaneously arguing against my request for people to be more sensitive, in a thread about people being more thoughtful about what they say. Especially considering I didn't make a personal statement towards anyone.  Sensitivity is over rated 

Also, your first point is just not true at all.  I disagree

Why did they play in the 70s, 60s, 50s & 40s and before then? Love of the game & the money playing a game & getting paid is better than a 9 to 5 job .

These athlete didn't start getting rich until the mid to late 80s. okay even a broken clock is right twice a day ..

1 minute ago, GoatBeard said:

Ok but I never said being an NFL player is harder than those jobs.

That is something you all completely made up.

You wrote the above .

And i gave my opinion do you not recognize what you posted ? 

12 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

No, i wasnt suggesting you attacked me......I was talking about the suggestion that I am being passive aggressive. Not at all. Just don't want to make a broad issue into a personal one.

I am honestly not talking about any one person.

I wasn't saying you in this instance was being passive aggressive.  It doesn't really bother me.  But one the one end of the spectrum is people being disrespectful and on the other end is people telling people to be respectful, and in the middle, are people with truly negative or positive things to say that aren't necessarily respectful or disrespectful.  But the original post appears to lump everyone into one extreme or the other.  That's my only point.  Like I said, I don't take offense, I got thick skin.  But if I said something disrespectful, I'd rather someone call me individually out rather than post to everyone and wonder if it's directed to me.

2 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

What is the point in continuously hammering home that point?

Yes Werner was a failed draft pick, five or six years ago. He has since retired. He is having no affect on the team or their goals now.

I think it's obvious, being a first round pick who only played a few short years, that he wasn't a successful pick.

I guess I'm just frustrated because hearing something repeated that is so obvious seems like a complete waste of time, thoughts and words.

People just enjoy being critical. But I promise you there isn't one of us who would appreciate receiving the treatment we hand out. And that's a problem.

Ok. I think I see what you're saying about some people being critical just for the sake of it. And I see how that can come across as redundant, but I see nothing wrong with calling out past players for past performances. Now I'm not saying it should be harped on but mentioning it feels like fair game to me. 

Some people do just jump on and say something negative without providing any context to their posts and that can come across as being petty and spiteful just to be spiteful. But most of the people who post on here are thoughtful and opionated and usually bring some substance or reasoning with their posts. I for one get upset about Trent & Werner because I remain frustrated about going to the AFC championship game without our 2 previous first round picks even being active because they weren't good enough. I'm willing to bet that has never happened before.  

So it's frustrating to think of how the fortunes of this organization may have changed if you replace just those 2 with quality players. Could we have already been in and won a Super Bowl or two?  It's definitely possible. We were certainly trending in that direction. But I don't come on here every day or hardly ever just bringing up Trent, Werner, or other past players, so that's why I was confused. Now, I think I get what you're saying though. Some may just jump on to be negative and I agree that can seem redundant. But I have no problem with mentioning past players and their failures if it relates to a topic. 

1 hour ago, GoatBeard said:

So you think it's untrue to say that most people don't have jobs as tough as physically blocking a world class athlete who weighs over 300 lbs with an entire world of "experts" who couldnt block JJ Watts grandma talking % about your performance? Or covering a guy with world class speed? Or tackling an athlete like AP or Leveon Bell?

I call that common sense. 

Once again the point has completely eluded you.

1 hour ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

You wrote the above .

And i gave my opinion do you not recognize what you posted ? 

I think you are having trouble interpreting how the word LIKELY makes my statement a broad but truthful statement.

Most jobs aren't that difficult. Many are.

To me it is simply entertainment. Not completely different than any other entertainment for me. I enjoy watching TV shows too, and when an actor isn't very good, I usually will state that I don't like them as an actor very much. But that doesn't mean I don't like them as a person. Not much different than saying, I don't like Andrew Luck as a QB very much. Sure, I suppose people could refrain from using the word "sucks". But sometimes, by the standards of this particular profession, sucking isn't all that bad. 

In general I agree. I'd like us to show more respect for our players. We can be extremely overly critical and pick on certain players while making excuses for others (favorites). We all have the right to an opinion and to comment and discuss our team and players and their performance is basically what we are here for so I see no reason why we can't criticize a player or their performance. That said there is a thing such as class...and I hope to demonstrate that when I comment on our players and give criticism but yet in such a way that isn't demeaning and harmful. They are our Colts...and I want them to represent us well...and degrading them does no good for them or myself...so showing a little respect while we talk about them wouldn't hurt one bit. That isn't always the case on here....and that is a reason I have a lot of respect for many posters on here and some I basically ignore.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/9/2017 at 5:44 PM, GoatBeard said:

You know I have always enjoyed getting online and talking sports with like minded people. I have had the privilege to meet many great fans over the years because of my involvement in the online sports world, and it overall has always been a very enjoyable part of my fandom. But there has been a type of fan that has always really rubbed me the wrong way. I am talking about all of  the "that guy sucks" fans out there. You know him, every time you bring up a guy who isn't a favorite of theirs, the response is "that guy sucks". It doesn't so much bother me when they are speaking about a rival, that's natural to me to trash talk a rival. It bothers me when we speak about our own players in that light, every single time I hear it.

These guys go out there and put their bodies on the line FOR US. Yes they get rewarded monetarily, but we also get a reward for all of this or we wouldn't pay to witness it. We have become the fat king throwing apples at the jester who is merely trying to entertain us. We as fans have responsibility to the sport, because we also have an impact on the sport. We have a role to play, and we should want to play it well. After all, thats exactly what we demand from our athletes. Its about time we focused more on our own actions than their every move.

A wise man once said "We often forget that we are the atmosphere surrounding all of this", which in my experience with sports, has most definitely deteriorated. Believe it or not These athletes aren't treated with nearly the respect they used to be. As the money has increased for them, so has the criticism and lack of privacy. And while I agree that the bad ones don't deserve all the glory they receive, the good ones absolutely do, and they are being treated with the same lack of tact.

I am sick of hearing someone feel compelled to chime in every time a former Colts players name comes up with criticism of their time here. As far as I am concerned, if you played here and were a good citizen and you represented us out on the football field, then you deserve respect and honor in return from Colts fans. 

Something to think about.

GoatBeard:  I agree with you and appreciate your posts, but as you have probably figured out by now, you're not going to guilt any of these people into changing their opinions, behavior, word-choices or life-choices. This is a representative slice of our population, and they are who they are.  It is what it is.

I've mentioned this in a different thread:  We're all here for different reasons.  Some people take this all very seriously, while some are just here to joke around, and a few are here just to be the bad guy (even if they don't see it that way).

As far as how we "treat" players in these forums, both current and former, please take solace in the fact that none of these players, both current and former, read these forums, and could care less about what any of these jack-holes think/say about them online.  I could be wrong about that.  Trent Richardson might be at home right now, crying into a pint of Ben & Jerrys' Chunky Monkey while he reads this.  If that's the case, and you're reading this Trent:  I'm sorry about all that stuff I said about your weight.

So thank you GoatBeard, for trying to bring a conscience to the forum, but take it from someone who has tried this before:  Lead by example, don't ask, and definitely don't demand.  Just do you, let them do them, and let the chips fall where they may.

On 5/9/2017 at 5:44 PM, GoatBeard said:

As far as I am concerned, if you played here and were a good citizen and you represented us out on the football field, then you deserve respect and honor in return from Colts fans.

Does this mean I can still talk trash about Trent Richardson?

I just want the colts to go out and prove to the world why we should be respected. I personally think under the radar we really helped ourselves out a lot just by simply putting emphasis on addressing the defense. The most important part of a football team imho.