Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning weekend announced

bababooey

Great stuff! Who would've ever thought little ol' Indiana would have a Championship and a player that has it's own statue. Peyton said he is very grateful toward Jim and his family for this. Don't worry we will probably still have 1 or 2 people Post that Peyton holds a grudge against Jim for Jim's words and the way Peyton was released in 2012lmao.

3 hours ago, bababooey said:

Week 5, October 7-8 weekend against the 49ers.

Statue unveiling October 7th, 3pm

Ring of Honor, jersey retiring ceremony October 8th during the game.

Bought tickets today for the game.   WooHoo...   Great Seats.   Spent more than I wanted to, but it's not every day you get to sit down on the field,  8th row,  to see your favorite player's jersey retired.   See you in October, Peyton. :)

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Great stuff! Who would've ever thought little ol' Indiana would have a Championship and a player that has it's own statue. Peyton said he is very grateful toward Jim and his family for this. Don't worry we will probably still have 1 or 2 people Post that Peyton holds a grudge against Jim for Jim's words and the way Peyton was released in 2012lmao.

Yes because we know Peyton doesn't choose his words carefully when talking to the press or anything. He's not going to say anything bad publically that's not his nature it doesn't make him look good if he goes that route(and he would be right)

Of course he's going to say he's grateful about this did you think he wouldn't be? Doesn't change the fact that Jimbo said those ungrateful comments after he left either and after the Colts beat the Broncos in the playoffs he had to go on about how it was the right decision. He doesn't hate the Colts or Colts fans but its not as if he has to work for Jim Irsay ever again during this ceremony either so why is it so surprising he would be a part of it.

But its clear Jimbo is going in overdrive with these comments when not too long ago he talked about how him winning 1 ring was a disappointment. Guess a couple of years of missing the playoffs and Andrew Luck not being healthy has humbled the dude.

Well, in both 2015 and 2016, Luck missed games right after Peyton showed up at Lucas Oil Stadium. One was Peyton in a Broncos uniform, another was Peyton at the 2nd Titans game to commemorate a SB 41 re-union. This third time, ask Luck to get down as soon as a defender is breathing next to him. :) 

1 hour ago, CF4L said:

Yes because we know Peyton doesn't choose his words carefully when talking to the press or anything. He's not going to say anything bad publically that's not his nature it doesn't make him look good if he goes that route(and he would be right)

Of course he's going to say he's grateful about this did you think he wouldn't be? Doesn't change the fact that Jimbo said those ungrateful comments after he left either and after the Colts beat the Broncos in the playoffs he had to go on about how it was the right decision. He doesn't hate the Colts or Colts fans but its not as if he has to work for Jim Irsay ever again during this ceremony either so why is it so surprising he would be a part of it.

But its clear Jimbo is going in overdrive with these comments when not too long ago he talked about how him winning 1 ring was a disappointment. Guess a couple of years of missing the playoffs and Andrew Luck not being healthy has humbled the dude.

:lol:

3 hours ago, Gramz said:

Bought tickets today for the game.   WooHoo...   Great Seats.   Spent more than I wanted to, but it's not every day you get to sit down on the field,  8th row,  to see your favorite player's jersey retired.   See you in October, Peyton. :)

That is awesome, unfortunately we will not be attending. We will be getting back from our honeymoon the weekend before so it's just not feasible to make it out there this season, but at least will get to go for the preseason against the Lions and we will be back the following fall for the regular season. 8th row is going to be close enough, maybe he will hear you yelling lol

1 minute ago, bababooey said:

That is awesome, unfortunately we will not be attending. We will be getting back from our honeymoon the weekend before so it's just not feasible to make it out there this season, but at least will get to go for the preseason against the Lions and we will be back the following fall for the regular season.

Right after I bought the tickets, Ron asked me if you two would be there. He was hoping we'd meet up again. Maybe next year. :)

2 hours ago, Gramz said:

Right after I bought the tickets, Ron asked me if you two would be there. He was hoping we'd meet up again. Maybe next year. :)

Ah tell him hello! This year is difficult especially in the fall so only going to make it for preseason but next year definitely regular season.

I can't remember exactly what Irsay said but was his disappointment in only winning 1 Super Bowl a knock on Peyton or was it a knock on Polian for building the team so offensively overloaded???  As GREAT as Peyton was, imagine how many championships we would have won with a defensively overloaded team with Peyton running the O & Dungy running the D??? I'd guess 4 or 5 at least. 

After the Reggie Wayne pick in 2001, we should have never used another first on offense unless it was a NEED at OLine. And every draft should have been defense focused like this year's.  And that includes #44 whom I loved. We still could have had gotten Jason Witten (a top 5 all time TE & a former Volunteer who Peyton would have made great music with as well) with our 2nd round pick that year. And could have had peanut Tillman with our first. A CB who arguably put up a Hall of Fame career playing in a cover 2 system in Chicago. Ironically a system that we ran...  

As great as Polian was at bringing us into legitimacy, he left a lot of meat on the bones. And don't even get me started on giving away a chance at perfection...  So in closing I think Irsay was dissing Polian and not Peyton. And admitting that we in some ways failed Peyton by not capitalizing on his greatness by ironically relying on it too much...

20 hours ago, Gramz said:

Yep. We usually travel in for a couple games a year and when this was announced I bought those up too! I loved the SB reunion we had last year and I'm sure the halftime event for this will be just as electric! Can't wait!

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yep. We usually travel in for a couple games a year and when this was announced I bought those up too! I loved the SB reunion we had last year and I'm sure the halftime event for this will be just as electric! Can't wait!

Maybe we will see you there.  Message me your section and seats.  

18 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I can't remember exactly what Irsay said but was his disappointment in only winning 1 Super Bowl a knock on Peyton or was it a knock on Polian for building the team so offensively overloaded???  As GREAT as Peyton was, imagine how many championships we would have won with a defensively overloaded team with Peyton running the O & Dungy running the D??? I'd guess 4 or 5 at least. 

After the Reggie Wayne pick in 2001, we should have never used another first on offense unless it was a NEED at OLine. And every draft should have been defense focused like this year's.  And that includes #44 whom I loved. We still could have had gotten Jason Witten (a top 5 all time TE & a former Volunteer who Peyton would have made great music with as well) with our 2nd round pick that year. And could have had peanut Tillman with our first. A CB who arguably put up a Hall of Fame career playing in a cover 2 system in Chicago. Ironically a system that we ran...  

As great as Polian was at bringing us into legitimacy, he left a lot of meat on the bones. And don't even get me started on giving away a chance at perfection...  So in closing I think Irsay was dissing Polian and not Peyton. And admitting that we in some ways failed Peyton by not capitalizing on his greatness by ironically relying on it too much...

While there's some truth to this he didn't just stop there he talked about after the first Colts/Broncos game how he only wants players who want more than 1 ring. Apparently Peyton didn't want another ring somebody alert the Broncos.

I wish we won more but it doesn't always work out that way life isn't fair.  

I mean really its one thing to want more than 1 ring but not everyone gets that or any ring at all be glad for the one you do have.

He just seemed rather ungrateful.

20 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I thought they would spread these honors out over the years but still glad to see Peyton is getting everything he deserves for his career here!

My guess is Peyton wanted it all done in one weekend.

4 hours ago, CF4L said:

While there's some truth to this he didn't just stop there he talked about after the first Colts/Broncos game how he only wants players who want more than 1 ring. Apparently Peyton didn't want another ring somebody alert the Broncos.

I wish we won more but it doesn't always work out that way life isn't fair.  

I mean really its one thing to want more than 1 ring but not everyone gets that or any ring at all be glad for the one you do have.

He just seemed rather ungrateful.

You may be right CF. I don't remember the entirety of his quote. He may have indeed taken a veiled shot at Peyton. I do remember there was a lot of uproar. The PTI duo and Skip Bayless still use that as reasons to hate on our franchise. 

22 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

thanks.......more than a couple

Wow..Buddy Young and Art Donovan

I remember seeing Art Donovan on with Johnny Carson and David Letterman long after he retired..  Funny guiy.

I didn't know he was that great a player..he talked himself down for the fun of it

Edited by oldunclemark
spell

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 0:14 AM, Smoke317 said:

I know what you're saying but nobody should have 4 or 5 championships...in 10 years

..we won a lot of divisions and we wo the AFC twice..we didnt 'leave a lot of meat on the bones'

We really didn't.

..you have to be really lucky to win it all

Look at NE the last 3 years....If Seattle calls an obvious run play at the goal line....the Pats don't win

If Oakland's QB doenst get whacked in week 16,....and Atlanta cant run the clock out on a 3 TD lead, the Pats don't win last year.   They were good and lucky...

NOLA ran an onside kick on us to start the second half or we probably win a second title.

Successful onside kicks are luck.

..and every single team in every sport can go back over drafts and find Hall-of-Fame players they could have taken. ..Polian built (and Peyton played on) really good teams every year..

I dont like the term 'fail' in situations where we didn't win post-season titles.

We did a lot

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:27 PM, Gramz said:

I was just thinking of you and @bababooey  We missed him last year.

I'm going up for the Cleveland game with my buddies, but the family may go up for that game.

Just now, Smonroe said:

I'm going up for the Cleveland game with my buddies, but the family may go up for that game.

I think we will be at the Cleveland game too.   My son is a Browns fan.   haha    Maybe we will see you again.  So fun meeting you and your family this past season.

10 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I wanted to come over and meet you that night but was hanging at the hotel the players stayed at. Got to talk to Joe Addai and said hello to Polian. Next time!

14 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I think we will be at the Cleveland game too.   My son is a Browns fan.   haha    Maybe we will see you again.  So fun meeting you and your family this past season.

Sympathies to your son.......::) Seriously, maybe the Browns will finally have a good season.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 2:43 PM, bababooey said:

My God, I hope this statue looks good, don't need another meme like Ronaldo's or our banner.

I was thinking the exact same thing, I hope they contracted a famous sculptor to do the work and are putting in extra large amounts of cash to get it done.  I mean, visiting people and hoosiers alike will put much stock in the final product, and many snickers if it's a big failure. (if it's bad, let's hope there's a "re-do" clause in the contract).

2 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

I was thinking the exact same thing, I hope they contracted a famous sculptor to do the work and are putting in extra large amounts of cash to get it done.  I mean, visiting people and hoosiers alike will put much stock in the final product, and many snickers if it's a big failure. (if it's bad, let's hope there's a "re-do" clause in the contract).

It's being done by a local guy, hopefully it's good I have faith.

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

It's being done by a local guy, hopefully it's good I have faith.

OK, as long as they present the final product here on forum.colts.com in a 3-D preview and then we'll create a poll.  If it's 90% or higher on poll results, then it's a go for unveiling. That's only fair. 

4 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

OK, as long as they present the final product here on forum.colts.com in a 3-D preview and then we'll create a poll.  If it's 90% or higher on poll results, then it's a go for unveiling. That's only fair. 

On this forum, that is literally impossible. It could be the greatest piece of art ever created and wed still be divided.haha