Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

"Old Man" Gore still our RB. And this is why:

Lawrence Owen

I know we have a 'slasher' type back now from the draft.  And yes, Frank is not going to win any sprint contest's.  But his vision is unparalleled.  His toughness and determination to get where he set's his goal to go is unmatched.  He breaks any arm tackles.  And usually takes 2 or more people to bring him down.  Yes he does not set records with 20+ yard runs, but he racks up 10-15 yard runs over and over.  That's just him getting the ball off a hand off.

His hands are good, watches the ball come in every time.  And with his vision in space, or on a screen, can just create large RAC yards.  He knows where to go, and wether to wait for blocks, or gun it with all the juice his tired legs has to offer.

Yes i believe he is not going to be 'THE' back after this year, but he'll definitely be our featured back this year.  And improved O-line after they've had time to get to know each other, and another offseason to learn their assignments and each other's tendencies, will give Gore another 1K+ yard rushing season. (IMO)

I agree.  I still love Gore, although I don't know how much he has left.  I've seen him described as "slippery" in the creases and I would agree.  He often takes very little to no room and somehow still gets 3 yards.  THAT is his real value IMHO.  He's not going to get you 20 yards anymore.  Those days are gone.  But for a hard-fought 3-5 yards, he's still one of the best in the biz IMHO.  And that will keep the chains moving.  Now with the addition of the "slasher" back Mack, and a good goal-line guy in Turbin, I think we have a good compliment of guys to tote the rock.  If the OL improves.........

Gore will still get the bulk of the carries I'm sure. At least early in the season anyway. I know we drafted a running back, but I don't see him out there especially with Turbin and Gore in the line up. Maybe after next season.

42 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Gore will still get the bulk of the carries I'm sure. At least early in the season anyway. I know we drafted a running back, but I don't see him out there especially with Turbin and Gore in the line up. Maybe after next season.

i disagree, i think we see a mix of all 3 every game. 3 different types of backs is gonna work to our advantage.

Just now, csmopar said:

i disagree, i think we see a mix of all 3 every game. 3 different types of backs is gonna work to our advantage.

I agree with this.  Ballard already said he wants to use Turbin more and he did not draft a guy to let him sit and watch IMO.  We will have a true running back by committee this year and if our line improves with the run blocking we should be able t o get some yards as well. 

No one doubts his ability to run the football.  I mean, I'm no fan of box score scouting, but he's been around so long that at this point in his career, all you have to do is point to the stats.  The only question - only as in one and no more - is whether his body will start to betray him.  That's it.  If it doesn't - look at the stats.  If it does, well that sucks.

1 minute ago, OffensivelyPC said:

No one doubts his ability to run the football.  I mean, I'm no fan of box score scouting, but he's been around so long that at this point in his career, all you have to do is point to the stats.  The only question - only as in one and no more - is whether his body will start to betray him.  That's it.  If it doesn't - look at the stats.  If it does, well that sucks.

Father time is undefeated.  Heck, I wouldnt be surprised if we see even the great ageless one Tom Brady start showing signs of it this season or even next.  All it takes is one good hit and your body just doesn't absorb or heal as well as it did 20 yrs prior.

9 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Ballard doesn't doubt the back that Frank Gore is.  But he is 34 and we have two other backs that will hopefully be able to produce.  I can see them pushing to get all three backs in motion and not worry about Gore carrying the load to put him in the situation to breakdown.  Come playoff time (hopefully we make it) if all three backs have little wear on them from a combination of running throughout the year then you help yourself when it gets important.  Let Gore use all the tread he has left when the playoffs start.

I think Gore will have another great year.  Most everyone wrote him off at the beginning of last season and he ended up running for over a thousand yards last year.  I bet he still has some fuel left in the tank.  Older running backs are all the craze.  Just ask the Broncos and the Saints.

4 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Ballard doesn't doubt the back that Frank Gore is.  But he is 34 and we have two other backs that will hopefully be able to produce.  I can see them pushing to get all three backs in motion and not worry about Gore carrying the load to put him in the situation to breakdown.  Come playoff time (hopefully we make it) if all three backs have little wear on them from a combination of running throughout the year then you help yourself when it gets important.  Let Gore use all the tread he has left when the playoffs start.

Right, that's what I said - no one doubts Gore, just depends on how his body handles the load.  they will work in Mack and Turbin (they play similar roles).

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

Right, that's what I said - no one doubts Gore, just depends on how his body handles the load.  they will work in Mack and Turbin (they play similar roles).

Yup I agree!  I hope between the 3 of them we can just average like 130 yards per game or more.  I do not care who gets the majority just help take heat off of Luck.  

Hoping that Gore has a great season this year. It seems he defies the odds every year and plays well despite getting up there in age for a back. I showed clear bias in wanting us to draft Mixon this year to pair with Gore but we did not. I'm now holding out hope that come 3 years from now, we draft another player that I have personal ties to in Alabama's Najee Harris to be the guy. Gore hold out for 3 more years!

58 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I think that's always the idea but it never seems to stick. 

Just now, pgt_rob said:

I think that's always the idea but it never seems to stick. 

true. but given Frank's age.  I bet he keeps on a pitch count for the first half of the season.  Especially if things go halfway decent.

15 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

He had the lowest YPC of all RBs with a 1000 yards. And his elusive rating was bottom 5 of all RBs. Gore needs to start getting less carries. Turbin and Mack time. 

He doesnt have the speed to get the big runs needed to inflate his YPC.  Combined with a shaky OL, his YPC is more than acceptable.  

3 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I know we have a 'slasher' type back now from the draft.  And yes, Frank is not going to win any sprint contest's.  But his vision is unparalleled.  His toughness and determination to get where he set's his goal to go is unmatched.  He breaks any arm tackles.  And usually takes 2 or more people to bring him down.  Yes he does not set records with 20+ yard runs, but he racks up 10-15 yard runs over and over.  That's just him getting the ball off a hand off.

His hands are good, watches the ball come in every time.  And with his vision in space, or on a screen, can just create large RAC yards.  He knows where to go, and wether to wait for blocks, or gun it with all the juice his tired legs has to offer.

Yes i believe he is not going to be 'THE' back after this year, but he'll definitely be our featured back this year.  And improved O-line after they've had time to get to know each other, and another offseason to learn their assignments and each other's tendencies, will give Gore another 1K+ yard rushing season. (IMO)

Frank Gore has been one of my favorite backs since entering the NFL. I love the guy but he is definitely on his last leg. I dont forsee him getting over 1000 this season. I think they will spell him more than we think, he will definitely share carries with Turbin this season. I see him getting somewhere around 700-800 yards this season. 

2 hours ago, bananabucket said:

He doesnt have the speed to get the big runs needed to inflate his YPC.  Combined with a shaky OL, his YPC is more than acceptable.  

Lowest YPC and one of the lowest elusive ratings of all backs. Only 1 single run over 20 yards all season. Our line was shaky but it wasn't the worst.

I still want him to get touches, but less of them. 

10 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

He's not going to get you 20 yards anymore.  Those days are gone.  

He would if our line would quit holding.  That's what stopped him from getting 1000 yards with us his first year.  He had a few 20+ yard runs that got called back, from holds that were away from the play. 

I think about a couple of things when I read people who consistently put Gore down and say he can't do this or that:  (1) He's not as slow as many want to make him out to be.  On that flea flicker play against the Titans, Avery Williamson (4.66 40 guy)  and Adoree Jackson (4.39) were both 10 yds downfield around the Titans 42 when Gore caught the ball at the Colts 48, but neither could run Gore down.  Granted, they were at the hash marks, and Gore was at the numbers half way to the sidelines, but simple geometry (A2 + B2 = C2) tells you Gore ran about 49 yds and Williamson ran about 47.5 yds (he was farther away from the sideline but farther downfield) without Gore being touched.  And, anticipating the argument that Gore had a running start, you can see on the video that Williamson recognized the play when Luck made the pass and was accelerating with Gore as Gore caught the ball. Basically, simple math tells you Gore is faster than Williamson still and fast enough that Jackson couldn't come close to Gore over 50 yds.  Simple point--Gore's fast enough to get big plays when given the opportunity.   

Second, big runs are not necessarily a function of speed (though it certainly doesn't hurt!). Here are the 40 times of some RBs around the league and their rank in terms of 20+ yard runs on the season:  Blount (4.7) (6); Ajayi (4.57) (3);  Carlos Hyde (4.66) (6); Jordan Howard (4.59) (3); Jeremy Hill (4.66) (17); Hightower (4.59) (24); Gillislee (4.55) (6); Crowell (4.57) (5).  Of course Elliott and McCoy -- two acknowledged speed burners -- were 1 and 2 in 20+ yard runs, but there are quite a number of these slower backs churning out 20+ yard runs. When you look at 40+ yard runs, it is even more telling.  Ajayi was #1 with 4.  Blount, Crowell and Hill tied McCoy, Elliott and Gordon for 2nd with 3 40+. This tells you that something other than speed is at play in big runs.  What is it?

Go and look at videos of their runs and you'll invariably see great downfield blocking.  WRs, TEs and linemen getting off their blocks to get downfield.  Then look at some of Gore's runs, and you'll see that once he gets past the line of scrimmage, he's often running into 3 or more tacklers with no blocking.  This is coaching/focus.  Unless we find someone who is the fastest guy on the field, and can get to the second level, the blocking has to get better downfield to spring big gains.  Mack is sure to get bigger runs, but Gore can get a lot of big runs with better blocking, because he is getting to the second level.

OK, maybe Frank didn't demonstrate world class speed, but he still displayed world class vision and quickness. He read offensive and defensive movements at light speed and made brilliant adjustments and decisions. Watching him make something from nothing, take chunks when only crumbs were present, and rip to the second level when blocks were made, was very impressive to witness.  I know what I saw, and it was good.

When Frank decides to start the clock on his HOF induction, so be it. Until then, I say give him the ball and block somebody...

I was SCREAMING last year for Gore & Turbin to be used in a committee. Notice that I didn't mention Ferguson. This year I want a 3 man timeshare with Gore, Turbin, & Mack. If Mack starts breaking off big runs early in the season, I can see him taking the job later in the season. Unless Father Time jumps up and grabs Gore, he'll remain our number 2 back at the worst and Turbin will get relegated to strictly short yardage just out of respect for Gore. But if it turns out he's lost it, this could be his last rodeo. 

I honestly think Gore just wants to win now and he would be happy to work in a timeshare with Turbin & Mack if it means success and a deep playoff run.  Whoever has the hot hand you roll with. But I will say, Gore is one of the most natural running backs I've ever seen. His balance, vision, and pad level on runs are still great even at his advanced age for an NFL running back. I really hope some of his abilities could rub off on Mack. And I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Gore take Mack under his wing and prepare him for the NFL. One Florida born running back to another.  This could really be a perfect scenario for Gore, Mack, & the Organization as a whole. 

14 hours ago, Albaby said:

I think Gore will have another great year.  Most everyone wrote him off at the beginning of last season and he ended up running for over a thousand yards last year.  I bet he still has some fuel left in the tank.  Older running backs are all the craze.  Just ask the Broncos and the Saints.

It's not that people "wrote him off", It's more like people used their brains and saw his decline. Which is of course natural for all football players. He definitely showed it last year 

My comments on Frank Gore always revolve around the fact that there are few safeties in the NFL that want to see him square up his pads and come at them. He is still elusive and occasionally will just run over people. As long as he keeps gaining yards, play him. I loved that video of him today. He loves his detractors.

13 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

It's not that people "wrote him off", It's more like people used their brains and saw his decline. Which is of course natural for all football players. He definitely showed it last year 

Based on what?  Running in 2015 behind a patch work line and with a passing game led by 2 QBs who could not get a job after 2015?  What metric are you using to determine it is Gore who "declined" rather than the effect of (i) a bad offense; (ii) a bad offensive line; and (iii) an anemic passing game that made Gore the focus of the offense?  All of those factors can make a back like Gore look like he is struggling because he doesn't just explode into the line.  He patiently looks for a crease and then exploits it when it opens.  If that crease never opens, he looks like he is slow, when in fact, he is just being patient.  Look at my post above regarding the Titans game, which is irrefutable proof that Gore still has adequate speed (and he never really had much speed before...at least not since 2009). 

On 5/9/2017 at 7:18 AM, Majin Vegeta said:

He had the lowest YPC of all RBs with a 1000 yards. And his elusive rating was bottom 5 of all RBs. Gore needs to start getting less carries. Turbin and Mack time. 

Gore had the lowest YPC in part due to an offensive line that wasn't all that good in run blocking.

And it's been that way for his 2 years with the team.

Will Gore get fewer carries this year?     Probably,  but I wouldn't bet much that it's a lot fewer...

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Gore had the lowest YPC in part due to an offensive line that wasn't all that good in run blocking.

Will Gore get fewer carries this year?     Probably,  but I wouldn't bet much that it's a lot fewer...

Nor should he...plenty of RBs have had a chance to run in this offense and none have shown themselves to be better.  Bradshaw was (always) good when healthy, but he couldn't do sheet behind this line.  At some point, you have to accept that a bad offense and a bad offensive line is the primary reason for the struggles in the run game.  That said, I think someone like Gore is the best option in this type of situation, because he is crafty enough to take what a play gives him rather than trying to make something out of nothing.  That's why he has so few negative yardage plays.  That's also my concern with Mack...based on his college videos, he's going to dance behind the line waiting for holes that never come and he's going to be tackled for losses.  

12 minutes ago, A8bil said:

Nor should he...plenty of RBs have had a chance to run in this offense and none have shown themselves to be better.  Bradshaw was (always) good when healthy, but he couldn't do sheet behind this line.  At some point, you have to accept that a bad offense and a bad offensive line is the primary reason for the struggles in the run game.  That said, I think someone like Gore is the best option in this type of situation, because he is crafty enough to take what a play gives him rather than trying to make something out of nothing.  That's why he has so few negative yardage plays.  That's also my concern with Mack...based on his college videos, he's going to dance behind the line waiting for holes that never come and he's going to be tackled for losses.  

Bradshaw did pretty well.

37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm just talking about last year. And yes the line wasn't good, but it wasn't dead last. Like his YPC was. Who knows how fewer carries he'll actually get.. Ballards already said he wants Turbin to get more touches. And Mack could see some too.

I like Frank but we need a home run sometimes. 

Two thoughts. First, Gore is a humble and responsible man. He took responsibilities and apologized several times to fans. He truly loves football and fans.

Second, I have a hard time evaluating his performance. I think his performance was below average for sure, but he was also the best RB we've had in Luck era. At least it suggests that our line should take partial responsibility for Gore's performance.

5 hours ago, BOTT said:

Bradshaw did pretty well.

Do you consider 31 carries for 85 yards, a 2.74 YPC average, doing "pretty well," because that is what Bradshaw did in 2015 before he got injured.  That's the line Gore was running behind.  

5 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I'm just talking about last year. And yes the line wasn't good, but it wasn't dead last. Like his YPC was. Who knows how fewer carries he'll actually get.. Ballards already said he wants Turbin to get more touches. And Mack could see some too.

I like Frank but we need a home run sometimes. 

That's fair enough....the problem was that no one else they put in the backfield showed an ability to hit "homeruns"...why is that ?

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

Are we forgetting an improved OL? With the first half of the season last year being one of a make-shift OL let's wait and see if the OL is finally set and if so how will it open up runways for the Colts ball carriers.

I agree..and don't discount the importance of the passing game.  Last year we were always playing catch up because the offense would get off to a slow start.  I'm sure there are a lot of reasons for it, including Luck not being 100% and rusty, conservative playcalling, etc., but it always seemed like they were forcing the run early with mixed success and then virtually abandoning it in the second half when the defense would give up a big lead and Luck tried to play catch up.

17 hours ago, A8bil said:

Do you consider 31 carries for 85 yards, a 2.74 YPC average, doing "pretty well," because that is what Bradshaw did in 2015 before he got injured.  That's the line Gore was running behind.  

He was coming off two injury plagued seasons.  Behind a equally or even worse line Bradshaw averaged 4.5 and 4.7 ypc the previous two yrs.