Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brian Decker, Rex Hogan, Ed Dodds expected to join Colts

RockThatBlue

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Shive said:

From what the article implied, I think he gave his evaluations to the Browns FO and they chose not to listen. Those guys weren't the ones that brought him in, so they most likely didn't buy into his models or philosophy and well....did what the Browns usually do, screwed it all up.

I think in a FO that understands and values his models and perspective, he could be extremely valuable.

Browns didn't even meet Gilbert before drafting him.

36 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

With Ballard being open and transparent about favoring the D side, does anyone know if the guys he brought in are big on the offensive side?  I have heard Dobbs is solid all around but still curious.

Well the other two (Hogan and Brown) were part of the Bears scouting staff during Ballards stint in Chicago. Chances are they also had a hand in helping create that dominant Bears defense, same as Ballard. 

10 hours ago, lester said:

TRich - Busted 1st rounder who we traded a 1st round pick for. The guy who drafted him is gone.

Werner - Busted 1st rounder who is out of the league 3 years later. The guy who drafted him is gone.

Grigson - The former GM of the Indianapolis Colts. He was fired for wasting valuable draft capital, bullying the subordinate leaders on his team, and being unaccountable for the culture he created.

What does any of this have to do with Chuck?

Look, I know we all come from diverse backgrounds and are all at different stages in our lives and livlihoods. Our personal and professional experiences all differ as much as we differ as humans from each other. And on a public discussion forum, its heard to know which viewpoint each is coming from. At my point in my life right now, I am a guy who builds large organizations - and I am telling you now that in my expert, professional opinion, it is very possible for a GM/Pres/CEO to create the kind of culture where other leaders in the organization are unable to succeed, even if they should otherwise be considered high-performers.

The culture, environment, and leadership climate could have absolutely made it impossible for Chuck Pagano to win. Or, he might just be a poor coach. What we (you and I) do not know are what kind of instructions came from Grigson - it might have been like this, "You better pull out some trick play nonsense against the Patriots because I want to win. If you don't fool Bellicheck, you're fired, etc." - or - "You better show me some long range aerobatics with Luck and TY Hilton to start this game or else... etc". None of us on this forum KNOW what the climate was like coming from Grigson - but we have heard rumors and seen some clues. We all know it was bad enough to get Grigson fired but the Coaching staff stayed the same.

So, I think it is fair to suggest that Chuck Pagano is still here for a couple of easy to understand reasons.

Maybe one of these:

1. Irsay believes Grigson damaged Pagano. So, Pagano is still here to show if he is the guy Irsay thinks he still is.

2. Irsay wants to replace Chuck but can't find anyone who will take the job who might be better.

3. Irsay knows that constant regime change destroys organizations. Even an incremental upgrade from Pagano would be a set-back because constant change is not the path to greatness.

4. Ballard *actually* likes Pagano and would have chosen him if he were to do a coach search today.

5. Irsay needs money and can't afford to pay dead money to 2 former employees at the same time.

6. Irsay likes Pagano like the son he never had. they like to spend time at the Zoo together.

But none of us really know. But some of us know how to build high performing teams (albeit, not necessarily in the NFL, for sure, but rather in Corporate America). And it is my opinion that Pagano is finally in a position to perform at his best (not someone else's worst). This season will tell us if Chcuk Pagano's best is good enough.

I didn't read much of that because I sensed you didn't get the point.  No harm,no foul.

On 5/9/2017 at 8:03 AM, dodsworth said:

I wasn't high on another reject from Cleveland but

after this article it gives me a bit of hope.

still questioning their Manziel pick while he was there?

17 hours ago, Finball said:

Decker is pretty damn intriguing hire.

Though I find it interesting/funny that their 1st round picks in 2014 were Manziel and Justin Gilbert.

Check this out-

"However, before Decker's first day, Banner, Lombardi and Chudzinski -- his entire support system -- were fired."

Ray Farmer was hired, and I heard the Owner, Haslam, wanted Manzeil despite a paid report that the Browns had purchased advising against it.  And Ray Farmer, the new GM, didn't yet have the power or cojones to stand up to Haslam.  Thus Johnny Faillball was drafted, but not by Banner, Chudzinski, Lombardi, or Decker.

But Banner would not have let Haslam select Manzeil on his watch (probably why he was let go).

http://brownswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/21/joe-banner-beyond-shocked-when-browns-drafted-johnny-manziel/

On 5/9/2017 at 0:20 AM, Nesjan3 said:

yeah its not looking good for Pagano, i think unless we win at least one playoff game we will have a coaching change, pretty much the whole structure of the front office has changed thus far, ushering in a new era 9.5 times out of 10 means a new head coach as well.  Good luck Pags, hopefully we do well enough for you to keep your job!

Chuck better win the Super Bowl.  That's the only way I see him lasting past this season.  Writing is all over the wall for him.

59 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Check this out-

"However, before Decker's first day, Banner, Lombardi and Chudzinski -- his entire support system -- were fired."

Ray Farmer was hired, and I heard the Owner, Haslam, wanted Manzeil despite a paid report that the Browns had purchased advising against it.  And Ray Farmer, the new GM, didn't yet have the power or cojones to stand up to Haslam.  Thus Johnny Faillball was drafted, but not by Banner, Chudzinski, Lombardi, or Decker.

But Banner would not have let Haslam select Manzeil on his watch (probably why he was let go).

http://brownswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/21/joe-banner-beyond-shocked-when-browns-drafted-johnny-manziel/

Glad to see our guys not responsible for that pick. Good read

15 hours ago, dodsworth said:

Adams was from the Broncos, Chud was an upgrade over Pep

but his slow forming long routes are getting Luck killed and

T Rich is the trade that set us back for years of progress.

It seems they hoodwinked us on a couple more players

but I don't have time to look it up.

Adams was a Brown from 2007-2011 his longest tenure with any team. Your comment was directed at the Richardson trade. I knew that when I posted. What a fresh take. 

On 5/8/2017 at 7:39 PM, ManningGM said:

I'm sorry but Chuck is such a goner next year, our front office hirings are already outclassing his joke of a coaching staff. 

His joke of a coaching staff?

You mean the one that coached up the Colts to 8-8 without Luck for 9 games in 2015?    

That coaching staff?

Or the one that coached up the team to 8-8 in 2016 with the personnel that gave us the 30th ranked defense?

That coaching staff?

If Ballard thought we had a joke coaching staff don't you think he'd have made a change or two?    Or three?     He'd like to win the AFC South this year.

But he has made none.........

Don't you ever get tired of running full speed right into a brick wall?

20 hours ago, BOTT said:

I didn't read much of that because I sensed you didn't get the point.  No harm,no foul.

d1cf278be4f46c94c82a63ec0068a9eb.jpg

I recommend, if you want to exchange written opinions about the Indianapolis Colts on the Indianapolis Colts message board, that you read the posts that share ideas. That just kinda how it works.

7 hours ago, ManningGM said:

What's your excuse going to be when they have another underwhelming season? jbhmmm.png

Two things....

One,  what's your definition of "another underwhelming season?    Everyone's is different.

Two,  Ballard himself has said this is not a one year fix.    That it's going to take time to build the team he wants to build...      So,  clearly that top guy is not promising the moon...

2 hours ago, lester said:

d1cf278be4f46c94c82a63ec0068a9eb.jpg

I recommend, if you want to exchange written opinions about the Indianapolis Colts on the Indianapolis Colts message board, that you read the posts that share ideas. That just kinda how it works.

I recommend you write shorter responses that aren't rife with filler.

On 5/9/2017 at 11:08 AM, Superman said:

Yeah, I'm not done with the article yet, but that stood out to me also. 

I still have issues with some of Pagano's philosophy (his choice of OC hurts my feelings), and his game management has proven to be lacking at critical times, so I don't want to pretend that everything wrong with Pagano was Grigson's fault. But stuff like this suggests that Grigson hampered him in certain ways.

Of course, assuming that this is even referring to the Colts... 

Superman, Who would you like to see as the Colts OC?

39 minutes ago, LuckyHooker24 said:

Superman, Who would you like to see as the Colts OC?

I don't have anyone in particular that I want, I just don't like the Coryell passing attack, or the way most Coryell coordinators run it. Norv Turner is the only one who has successfully modified it to be more efficient.