Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Malik Hooker: DROY Candidate?

WarGhost21

Absolutely he is. However, there are other good DROY candidates, Hooker being one of them. And, for the record, I would like to be the first to say I'm less worried about the week 10 deep ball to Antonio Brown just because of Hooker. His ball hawk skills are 11/10 and can't wait to see what happens when Ben tries him. Hooker will make it tough on AB for deep routes. Hopefully by then, Malik will have established himself as a secondary threat so well that quarterbacks try to avoid him more, but that will be a long shot in the NFL. Everyone gets beat in the NFL. 

18 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

I am so thankful Hooker won DROY.  For a few days there, I was worried, but imagination and expectations came through in the end. 

As obvious as it is that this is dripping with sarcasm, I must ask: Who said he won already?

I think it will probably be between Takkarist McKinley, Jonathan Allen, and Malik Hooker. You have to look at the defense the players are playing in that will allow them to have the stats to be DROY. McKinley will get a lot of chances due to attention being drawn to Vic Beasly and Deion Jones.

Allen is going to be a tear in the middle.

Hooker will have his chances due to our man to man scheme and allowing him to help out a lot over top. He will have his chances at getting a lot of interceptions. 

5 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Image result for hype train

Let's not all go bananas if the guy doesn't ball out the first year. I mean, these expectations are pretty lofty. 

its rookie of the year, it has to go to a first year player

with that said it hasnt gone to a safety since 1990... ouch

he would have to get several ints and at least one pick six to get it imo

1 hour ago, WarGhost21 said:

As obvious as it is that this is dripping with sarcasm, I must ask: Who said he won already?

Sorry, I wasn't taking a shot at you.  Just having fun with the whole thing.  I really think he'll have a good shot at it honestly though.

54 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

he would have to get several ints and at least one pick six to get it imo

Here's to hoping right!

2 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

He might be the best rookie defender but I'd put money on it going to a passrusher. 

Goodell enjoys his sacks 

Good stuff! :)

2 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/5/8/15579728/pff-lists-malik-hooker-as-the-top-defensive-rookie-of-the-year-candidate-for-2017

We can only hope! If he does manage to win, I can see his confidence boost through the roof and help him become one of the best safeties of this era!

It would be great if he could play with his confidence boosted. Yaaa!

I just want to see him starting week 1. Between his injuries and his missing camps he is going to be behind learning everything. I actually expect Butler to start week 1...but I'm sure he will get up to speed soon hopefully.

3 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/5/8/15579728/pff-lists-malik-hooker-as-the-top-defensive-rookie-of-the-year-candidate-for-2017

We can only hope! If he does manage to win, I can see his confidence boost through the roof and help him become one of the best safeties of this era!

Its going to be an Edge Rusher that wins DROY, great for hooker to be considered a candidate tho

While I'm as happy as ANYBODY here we got this guy falling into our laps in the draft, I have to pull back on the reigns slightly.  He's not done a thing at the NFL level yet.  Will he have every opportunity?  Absolutely.  But if he doesn't win DROY does that mean he's not "living up to expectations"?  No. 

I like his chances though given the division he'll be playing in.  Remember, six of his games will be going against Blake Bortles (16 INT's last season), Marcus Mariota (who is still young and INT prone at times), and a rookie in Deshaun Watson (or Tom Savage if you prefer).  My guess is though if he gets a couple picks early in the season teams will stop testing him deep, which means his opportunities will diminish.  This would be mean more opportunities for Wilson, so don't count him out in that race either.  OTOH, if he gets beaten, he will see more opportunities.

17 hours ago, Albaby said:

I'm just not sure what to think.  PFF is talking highly about a defensive player on the COLTS!!!  Wait a minute, this is a joke, right?

Nothing new to be honest. PFF LOVES Anderson. Called him one the best steals of his draft class and listed him as a top breakout candidate for 2016. They also have good things to say about Geathers, who they ranked the second most improved safety in 2016, behind only Landon Collins (who went from worst coverage grade in the NFL to All Pro). 

They hate our defense as a whole, but think we have some good, young building blocks. 

28 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Nothing new to be honest. PFF LOVES Anderson. Called him one the best steals of his draft class and listed him as a top breakout candidate for 2016. They also have good things to say about Geathers, who they ranked the second most improved safety in 2016, behind only Landon Collins (who went from worst coverage grade in the NFL to All Pro). 

They hate our defense as a whole, but think we have some good, young building blocks. 

Plus a couple years ago Vontae was their highest rated corner and Mathis was right at the top for 3-4 OLBs. It's not like we've never had talented defenders, just had a hard time putting it all together. 

I'm pretty excited about the defense as a whole for the first time in a while. There's a lot of potential in some of our guys if they can stay healthy. 

One, it is not going to be easy baiting QBs with strong arms like Big Ben, Brady, Rodgers etc., 

Two, if anything, those QBs are savvy enough to move you with their eyes. 

So, let us hold off on crowning folks now. NFL speed, terminology, communicating with teammates are all key aspects of the safety position and don't be disappointed if Hooker does not wow you in year 1 and just has a solid year.