Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Offseason Reading Series #6: The best trash-talking moments of Peyton Manning's career

21isSuperman

With the draft out of the way and things quieting down a bit, time for another ORS!

Previous ORS installments

ORS1: The best Indianapolis Colts team ever

ORS2: Which Indianapolis Colt are you?

ORS3: Dissecting the 15th overall pick

ORS4: Choose your contract

ORS5: Which Simpsons characters are the Indianapolis Colts?

In today's installment, we're going to look at two things people don't really associate with one another: Peyton Manning and trash-talking.

5 great Peyton Manning trash talking moments

When you think of football’s great trash talkers, you think of guys like Steve Smith Sr. or John Randle; you aren’t likely to put Peyton Manning atop your trash talking list.  Peyton Manning is one of the good guys.  He’s got a clean-cut image, stays out of trouble, is one of the best to ever lace them up, and does a lot of community work.  But despite his classy character, professional athletes are some of the most competitive people on the planet.  Sometimes, that competitive nature comes out and you can’t help but talk a little smack to someone and shut down them.  Some trash talkers just talk and you don’t take them seriously.  But when a guy talks some smack and backs it up, that’s when they get in your head.  Peyton Manning was one of those guys.  He wouldn’t talk trash that much, but when he did, you knew you had poked the bear too much.  These are some of the best Peyton Manning trash talking moments during his professional career.  Keep in mind there are many sources I used for the quotes, so while they may not be the exact quote that was said in the moment, they deliver the same message.

1. Before the draft

Leading up to the 1998 NFL Draft, the Colts had the first overall pick and had to decide between Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning.  Leaf had all the physical tools.  He was big, strong, fast, athletic, and had a cannon for an arm.  On the other hand, Peyton was seen as someone who was more technically and mentally sound, but had perhaps reached his ceiling and wouldn’t improve much over the course of his NFL career.  Less than a week before the draft, Peyton Manning goes to talk to Bill Polian.  Polian’s reputation was well-established.  This guy knows how to build a winning football team.  He had built a Super Bowl team in Buffalo and took Carolina to the NFC Championship Game in their 2nd year of existence!  Despite his reputation and status as one of the league’s better executives, Peyton looked at Bill Polian before leaving and said “Look, I’d actually like to play here.  But if you don’t take me with the number one pick, I promise you I’m going to kick your * for the next 15 years”.  What?!?  A 22 year old, who hasn’t even made it to the NFL yet, just told one of the league’s best executives that he’s going to kick his * for 15 years if they don’t take him first overall.  I don’t know of anyone else who has gone to a job interview and told the CEO “if you don’t hire me, I’m going to your competitor and we’re going to kick your * for rest of my career”.  The best part of all of this?  Peyton backed his words up 100%.

2. Tiger Woods

Tiger Woods and Peyton Manning are good friends.  The two golf together and Woods has even been seen on the Colts sidelines.  Several years ago, Tiger Woods was atop the golf world, ranked as the #1 golfer with Phil Mickelson as the #2.  Peyton used this in his offenses during his time in Indy.  Known for his many creative audibles, Peyton used a call of “Tiger” to indicate that the ball was to be snapped on 1 and a call of “Phil” meant the ball was to be snapped on 2.  Woods knew of this and really enjoyed it.  Later, Peyton hit free agency and signed with the Broncos.  After his first season with the Broncos, Woods and Peyton were talking and Woods asked “What’s the biggest difference between the Colts’ offense and the Broncos’ offense?”  Peyton replied “it’s pretty similar.  The main difference is it’s now ‘McIlroy’ on 1 and ‘Tiger’ on 2”

giphy.gif

3. Darius Slay

Before their week 3 matchup in 2015, Darius Slay, defensive back for the Detroit Lions, said if he intercepts a Peyton Manning throw, he’s going to make Peyton sign it “right then, on the spot” and that Slay would even have a pen in his pocket ready to go.  Fast forward to the end of the second quarter of the game.  Broncos’ ball, they’re up 7-6, it's 4th and 1 from the Lions’ 46 yard line with 13 seconds left in the half.  With Darius Slay covering Demaryius Thomas, Peyton decides to attack this matchup.  If Slay wants the signature, here’s his chance to earn it.  When the play unfolds, Slay ends up in a perfect position to make the pick.  But this is Peyton Manning we're talking about.  Manning threw the ball and put it where only Thomas could get it.  4th and 1 near the end of the half and they target Slay to move the chains.  Slay had another chance to pick a ball off later, but similarly to the throw with Thomas, Peyton put the ball where only Emmanuel Sanders could get it.  Broncos win, Slay gets 0 picks despite being targeted a few times, and Peyton talks smack without saying a word.

4. DJ Swearinger

The Broncos and Texans held joint practices during the 2014 preseason. During the week of practices, DJ Swearinger, a known agitator, picked off Peyton and let the world know.  Then he said the Houston offense was overpowering the Denver defense, running the ball down their throats all practice.  He even threw a punch at Demaryius Thomas during the practices.  Fast forward a few days to their preseason tilt, Swearinger ended up hitting a defenseless Wes Welker in the head.  This gave Welker - a guy with a significant history of concussions - another concussion, forcing him to leave the game; Swearinger received a penalty.  This was completely uncalled for.  It's a pre-season game and Swearinger was considered by some to be a dirty player.  There's no need for him to hit a player in the head, especially a guy with a concussion history, and especially not in the pre-season.  Peyton had enough.  Immediately after the hit, Peyton went over and said some words to Swearinger.  On the very next play, Peyton throws a perfect pass to Emmanuel Sanders for a TD and makes a beeline for Swearinger.  What did Peyton say?  Swearinger claims he said “F you”, Peyton says he can’t repeat what he said.  Even though it was a preseason game, this was a message.  Mess with my team and I’ll hit you back where it hurts.

5. Jon Gruden

On October 7, 2007, the Colts played the Buccaneers in Indianapolis.  The last time these two teams met, it was the great comeback game on Monday Night Football.  Things were very different this time around.  Peyton Manning was absolutely surgical, going 29/37 for 253 yards and 2 TDs.  The running game was strong too, as Kenton Keith (remember him?) piled up 121 yards and 2 TDs on 28 carries.  I wasn’t able to find a video of the game, but here’s what I found after doing some research.  With the Colts leading 23-7 and on the Tampa Bay 9 yard line at the start of the 4th quarter, the Bucs decide to blitz almost everyone they have.  Heck, nothing else has slowed down the Colts, why not give this a shot?  Huge mistake.  Peyton being Peyton, he saw what the defense was doing after the ball was snapped and quickly got the ball to Reggie Wayne for a touchdown.  Peyton then runs to Jon Gruden on the sidelines and says “Are you * kidding me?  You’re gonna do that to me?  Are you out of your mind?!?”  Up 30-7, Peyton Manning went to an opposing Super Bowl winning head coach and ridiculed the decision to blitz him.  Confidence, swagger, you name it, Peyton had it.

Honourable mentions:

1. The ref (any lip reading experts around?):

peyton-manning-yells-at-a-referee.gif

2. Children:

pmanning_snl.gif

While he isn't known for trash-talking, his confidence, talent, and performance gave Peyton the tools to be a great trash-talker who could back up his words and intimidate opponents in more ways than with just his arm.

The Darius Slay one is really stretching the definition of trash talking.  

Slay respected Manning so much that he thought it would be an honor to pick him off and would want the ball signed as a memento of the moment.  Saying "If I best my opponent I'll ask for his autograph." is the exact opposite of trash talking.

And Peyton going Slays way over the course of a game.  Well considering you are talking about him covering Peyton's #1 receiver on a 4th and 1.  I really doubt the thought in Peyton's head was "I'll teach this guy a lesson." and more of a "On a critical down I want to throw it to my best receiver."  Maybe Peyton liked the matchup too but I really doubt that his thoughts where about teaching him a lesson. . . for respecting him too much??

5 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

The Darius Slay one is really stretching the definition of trash talking.  

Slay respected Manning so much that he thought it would be an honor to pick him off and would want the ball signed as a memento of the moment.  Saying "If I best my opponent I'll ask for his autograph." is the exact opposite of trash talking.

And Peyton going Slays way over the course of a game.  Well considering you are talking about him covering Peyton's #1 receiver on a 4th and 1.  I really doubt the thought in Peyton's head was "I'll teach this guy a lesson." and more of a "On a critical down I want to throw it to my best receiver."  Maybe Peyton liked the matchup too but I really doubt that his thoughts where about teaching him a lesson. . . for respecting him too much??

I just liked it because it's more of a silent trash talk.  I think there was mutual respect on both sides, and that's why Slay said he wanted an autograph.  You wouldn't want an autograph from Brock Osweiler.  Because there was mutual respect, you didn't see anything like you did with Swearinger, but I'm sure Peyton had it in the back of his mind that Slay is looking for a pick and autograph.

18 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I just liked it because it's more of a silent trash talk.  I think there was mutual respect on both sides, and that's why Slay said he wanted an autograph.  You wouldn't want an autograph from Brock Osweiler.  Because there was mutual respect, you didn't see anything like you did with Swearinger, but I'm sure Peyton had it in the back of his mind that Slay is looking for a pick and autograph.

Ehh every DB is looking for a pick.  And by that point in his career a lot of them where looking for autographs too.