Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Re-drafting the 2015 and 2016 drafts

Hindsight is 20-20...if Grigson had better drafts those years, he might still be here. Def found gems in mid-rounds, but bungled lots of early round picks.

Here's my re-drafts. We can always drool. The moves would make us a championship roster.

2015-----

1. Benardrick McKinney (ILB)

2. Danielle Hunter (OLB)

3. Henry Anderson (DE)

4. Clayton Geathers (SS)

5. L'ael Collins (T/G)

6. Trenton Brown (T)

6. Denzelle Good (T)

7. Thomas Rawls (RB)

2016-----

1. Ryan Kelly (C)

2. Yannick Ngakoue (OLB)

3. Le'Raven Clark (T)

4. Hassan Ridgeway (DE)

4. Jordan Howard (RB)

5. Joe Haeg (G/T)

1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

Hindsight is 20-20...if Grigson had better drafts those years, he might still be here. Def found gems in mid-rounds, but bungled lots of early round picks.

Here's my re-drafts. We can always drool. The moves would make us a championship roster.

2015-----

2. Danielle Hunter (OLB)

3. Henry Anderson (DE)

4. Clayton Geathers (SS)

5. L'ael Collins (T/G)

6. Trenton Brown (T)

6. Denzelle Good (T)

7. Thomas Rawls (RB)

2016-----

1. Ryan Kelly (C)

2. Yannick Ngakoue (OLB)

3. Le'Raven Clark (T)

4. Hassan Ridgeway (DE)

4. Jordan Howard (RB)

5. Joe Haeg (G/T)

If we had done that 2015 draft that way we wouldn't have been picking 18th and 15th respectively the next two drafts we would have been in a much better position than we are now.

I already have a bad feeling about 1 pick in this year's draft, and it is of Glover Stewart or Nate Hairston.

Should have taken Bucky Hodges with one of those picks instead. Measurables that you can't teach and a huge mismatch for opposing defenses. Why do I have a bad feeling he will turn into a poor man's Jimmy Graham and routinely get 800 yards receiving year after year?

13 hours ago, rock8591 said:

2015-----

2. Danielle Hunter (OLB)

3. Henry Anderson (DE)

4. Clayton Geathers (SS)

5. L'ael Collins (T/G)

6. Trenton Brown (T)

6. Denzelle Good (T)

7. Thomas Rawls (RB)

2016-----

1. Ryan Kelly (C)

2. Yannick Ngakoue (OLB)

3. Le'Raven Clark (T)

4. Hassan Ridgeway (DE)

4. Jordan Howard (RB)

5. Joe Haeg (G/T)

Why the hell would you pick McKinney in the 1st in 2015? 

I will play along...based on who I wanted at the time...and who the Colts picked.

1) Collins/Kendricks

2) Coleman/D. Johnson

3) Anderson

4) Geathers/Mason (if Collins was the first pick)

5) J.J. Nelson

1) Kelly 

2) Whitehair

3) Fackrell/Jenkins

4) Billings

5) Westerman (I am still bummed about this)

2015. Traded both 6th RD picks to get to the middle of the 5th.

1 Eric Kendricks ILB

2 Danielle Hunter EDGE

3 Henry Anderson DT

4 Stefon Diggs WR

5 Jay Ajayi RB

5 L'ael Collins G

7 Denzelle Good T

2016 Traded down in the 3rd to the top of the 4th. (Remember we had high picks in each Rd) And Picked up two 4ths, and a 5th.

1 Ryan Kelly C

2 Cody Whitehair G

4 Tavon Young CB

4 Hassan Ridgeway DT

4 Rashard Robinson CB

4 Jordan Howard RB

5 Joe Haeg G

5 Jatavis Brown ILB

7 Alex McCalister

7 Jalen Richard

OL would be loaded and we'd have a boatload of young talent on both sides of the ball. Rashard Robinson is on his way to being a very good starting corner. Young is a beast nickel CB. Kendricks and Brown would be a dominant duo at ILB. Ajayi and Howard.....Yeah. Danielle Hunter would have given us the freak EDGE rusher we need. He's gonna be a double digit sack machine, and IMO a top 3 EDGE rusher in the NFL starting this season. And the McCalister pick. Too much value in the 7th to pass on for some bum like Bates. I mean come on. He's got a lot of raw talent, and if he puts it together he could be a breakout player this year or next. You just don't pass on guys like him and Collins and so on in the late RD's.

4 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

IMO McKinney is, also has much better size and fit for the 3-4 LB position at 6'4'' 260 vs 6'0'' 230. Also had more tackles and sacks last season.

http://www.nfl.com/player/benardrickmckinney/2552490/profile

McKinney is awful in space. Really good in the box, but I personally wouldn't have drafted him, period. I don't like that kind of linebacker. 

On 5/7/2017 at 7:51 PM, rock8591 said:

I already have a bad feeling about 1 pick in this year's draft, and it is of Glover Stewart or Nate Hairston.

Should have taken Bucky Hodges with one of those picks instead. Measurables that you can't teach and a huge mismatch for opposing defenses. Why do I have a bad feeling he will turn into a poor man's Jimmy Graham and routinely get 800 yards receiving year after year?

Except Hodges can't catch the darn ball. Colts fans had a meltdown every time Fleener dropped the ball, I doubt we'd be happy with Hodges. 

10 hours ago, SP_21 said:

Except Hodges can't catch the darn ball. Colts fans had a meltdown every time Fleener dropped the ball, I doubt we'd be happy with Hodges. 

I would have been very happy with Hodges. Njoku also struggles with drops at times...and he was a 1st round pick.

Hodges does need some coaching on pass catching. But he has bigger hands than Njoku and Howard...so I think the upside is there to be a very good at catching the ball.

Even though it was a risk, it only cost a 5th round pick to find out. Well worth it IMO. 

Instead, the poor guy ended up in MIN...without a very good QB and behind Rudolph on the depth chart.

With the awesome benefit of hindsight, and knowing that in this alternate reality these guys wouldn't be selected earlier than where they were originally picked I'd do the following;

1st rounder; trade down with the Giants; acquire their 2nd (#40), 4th (#108) and 6th (#186) (Titans traded down at #33 and got 7th instead of 6th).

Trade #40 to Carolina for #57, #89 and #201 (Rams originally made that trade with their #41).

#57: Danielle Hunter, DE/OLB, LSU

#65 (original trade down with the Bucs); trade down with Texans for #82, #152 and #229.

#82: Jordan Hicks, LB, Texas

#89: Trey Flowers, DE, Arkansas

#93: trade with CLE for #111, #147 and #202 (original trade was with the Pats and they gave up their 7th but that that pick was little later so I think this could be done without giving up any other picks)

#108:  Clayton Geathers, S, UCF (Adrian Amos could also work)

#109: Grady Jarrett, NT, Clemson

#111: Josh Shaw, CB, USC

#147: Jay Ajayi, RB, Boise State

#152: Torn between J.James, J.J Nelson, Uzomah and Tony Lippett. Won't matter much though.

#166: D.J Alexander, LB, Oregon State

#186: Trenton Brown, OT, Florida

#201: Tyrell Williams, WR, Western Oregon

#202: Eli Rogers, WR, Louisville

#205: David Andrews, C, Georgia

#207: David Irving, DE, Iowa State

#229: La'el Collins, G, Louisiana State.

#244: trade with Dallas for their 2016 6th (#178)

With this crop, I'd assume the Colts would be drafting later that where they did draft originally. Let's say where Houston drafted, so make the playoffs instead of them but lose to KC. That means that Ryan Kelly goes to Washington as their GM indicated before the draft and won't trade down. Luckily we already have our center of future in David Andrews. With our 1st, I'd trade down with Denver so they can take Paxton Lynch and get their 1st (31), 3rd (#94) and 5th (#144), which is about equal per the trade value chart in drafttek (Denver made the same trade with Seattle for their #26 and didn't give up 4th).

#31: Chris Jones, DT, Missisippi State

#52: Cody Whitehair, G, Kansas State

#85: trade with MIA: get their 6th (#186), and 2017 3rd and 4th.

#94: Tavon Young, CB, Temple

#119: Rashard Robinson, CB, LSU

#144: Jordan Howard, RB, Indiana

#159: Jatavis Brown, LB, Akron

#178: Anthony Brown, CB, Purdue

#186: Elandon Roberts, LB, Houston

#243: Michael Pierce, DT, Samford

So last years starting lineup would've been something like

QB: Andrew Luck

RB: Ajayi/Howard (along with Gore)

TE: Doyle

WR: Hilton, and 2 of T.Williams, Moncrief, Rogers

OL: 5 of Castonzo, Mewhort, Andrews, Whitehair, T.Brown, Collins, Reitz

OLBs: Danielle Hunter and Walden/Mathis/Flowers, maybe Irving too

DEs: 2 of Jarrett/Jones/Pierce/Irving/Langford

NT: Jarrett/Pierce

LB: Hicks, Brown/Roberts/Ayers

CB: 2/3 of Davis/Shaw/Young/Robinson/Brown

S: Butler, Geathers/Adams

One stacked and deep team. Also weakened the Patriots a lot, getting Flowers and Andrews. However Secondary is pretty young and inexperienced, especially CB which could've proven out to be a big issue last season. So I think this team makes the playoffs pretty easily but will lose to the Pats, sooner or later. And while there's some extra picks for 2017 (Miami's 3rd and 4th), Colts won't get Hooker so they wouldn't be as well set at safety. Can't have everything, lol.

Taking Adrian Amos instead of Josh Shaw could provide more help at S but he's not great as single high S but there really weren't those in these two drafts, at least they haven't shown it show far. That's why I didn't take Landon Collins. While a great talent, he's not great in deep coverage, doing most of the damage close to LOS. And with Hicks, Geathers, Roberts and Brown, there isn't that big of a need for a box safety. Didn't take Kendricks as I see Hicks as pretty similar talent and that trade down brought the Colts either Flowers or Ajayi/Shaw/Williams via those extra picks.

Now it's probably time to wake up from this fantasy though, lol.