Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Since we are entering a relatively quiet period I thought it might be interesting to see if anyone had any trade ideas.  Grigson did pick up Davis for a second and last year at least two ER's were traded, C. Jones comes to mind off the bat so who might be available?  A player who needs a change of scenery or who is no longer a system fit or a high pick who did not pan out with his team, J. Hughes fits that description.   I would be curious to see if anyone could come up with a few candidates.  M. Ingram is probably still available. Maybe too expensive but who knows.  A couple of high picks and or a player might do it; Dorsett or Moncrief?  M Kendricks is still available and he's only 26.  Teams seem to be waiting on his release but maybe a later round pick could do it.  Looking forward to seeing what ideas people can come up with.  I would be all in favor of acquiring another starter or potential young starter with a good trade.  Can't let the Pats make all the good trades. 

31 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Definitely would like to acquire Kendricks 

Agree, but that would likely come deep into training camp or maybe even after the preseason. Much like the Vontae and Sio Moore trades. Need to see how the guys you have play first before deeming a trade necessary. I would imagine Kendricks would only command a later round pock, just like Moore.

3 hours ago, Boomstick1 said:

Wouldn't trade Moncrief, Jerry Hughes was already here once, we don't need Ingram, and we should've gave a 5th for Kendricks

I was using Hughes as an example of a 1st. rd. pick that didn't work out with his original team, us, and became a major addition for his new team.  We got fleeced in that one.  Some would argue the Dorsett pick is similar to the Hughes pick in that so far Dorsett has not lived up to what we all expected from him.  Ingram is a premier proven ER and he would be a major upgrade IMO.  I agree we should've acquired Kendricks.  Hopefully we still do. I'm curious to see if people come up with other names.  

2 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Agree, but that would likely come deep into training camp or maybe even after the preseason. Much like the Vontae and Sio Moore trades. Need to see how the guys you have play first before deeming a trade necessary. I would imagine Kendricks would only command a later round pock, just like Moore.

I'd be ok with that if he's here game one that's all I care about lol 

30 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

TBD I guess.  Maybe this change of scenery will work out well for DA like it did for J. Hughes.  

It's not that DA can't play, it's because he always has some kind of injury.

30 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Offer up whatever it takes to get Danielle Hunter and our defense will almost be complete assuming we hit on Hooker and Wilson.

Lol. That'll never happen (unless maybe if Andrew Luck is the player we will get back. So, yeah, that is impossible). Hunter is a 21-year-old player entering his 3rd year. He is a stud. We are not giving him away. 

I think the most realistic players to trade for may be those on teams with recent changes in GMs (Jags, Bills, 49ers, maybe the Rams or Jets).

Jets are rebuilding. Interested in any of their players? Safety Calvin Pryor? Sheldon Richardson? Maybe even Mo Wilk?

2 hours ago, BOTT said:

It's not that DA can't play, it's because he always has some kind of injury.

DA is a bottom 5 TE, paid like a top 5.

Can we honestly name a single TE in the league that is worse than him right now? He drops every single pass thrown his away and has hardly been effective at all since his rookie year, save for the NYJ game this past season.

Doyle and Swoope were far more dependable.

51 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Can we honestly name a single TE in the league that is worse than him right now? He drops every single pass thrown his away and has hardly been effective at all since his rookie year, save for the NYJ game this past season.

Yes, that's why I liked the trade.  Dropping touchdowns and 1st downs in opponents territory is unacceptable.

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Lol. That'll never happen (unless maybe if Andrew Luck is the player we will get back. So, yeah, that is impossible). Hunter is a 21-year-old player entering his 3rd year. He is a stud. We are not giving him away. 

I think the most realistic players to trade for may be those on teams with recent changes in GMs (Jags, Bills, 49ers, maybe the Rams or Jets).

Jets are rebuilding. Interested in any of their players? Safety Calvin Pryor? Sheldon Richardson? Maybe even Mo Wilk?

LOL. I know. I just love Hunter. I wanted him so bad in the draft, and he's my favorite non Colts player in the NFL.

2 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Doyle's getting better and better. One of the most reliable TE's in the NFL, and like I said. He should be even better this coming year than he was last year, and Swoope really showed up late last year. The sky's the limit for Swoope IMO. I think this could be a major breakout year for him.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

What about Robert Quinn ??? Wonder if he could be had ???

He is signed through 2019.  He went on IR last December with a concussion.  I think he is one of their key guys.  They are trying to sign T. Johnson but are struggling with cap space I believe.  He doesn't jump out at me as a candidate but I guess you never know.  

53 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Teams just dont get rid of stud pass rushers. Not unless they are bad locker room guys. 

I tend to agree but the Pats did trade C. Jones because they didn't want to pay him or couldn't afford to pay him.  Maybe there are teams out there with a similar problem?  

15 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I tend to agree but the Pats did trade C. Jones because they didn't want to pay him or couldn't afford to pay him.  Maybe there are teams out there with a similar problem?  

I can see this being more likely but still finding teams with players that might not want to re-sign or teams know they cannot afford them for FA in 2018.  Xavier Rhodes comes to mind maybe but I see majority of teams waiting to see if they can just keep these guys because they are premium players. Trumaine Johnson might be viable for a trade but that is too much money to hit us IMO.  I think Ballard honestly just sits until teams make cuts in June and also through camp.  He might add some depth but nothing huge will happen.  I see our team being pretty much set as of now except maybe a few depth and PS guys changing.

16 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

What about Robert Quinn ??? Wonder if he could be had ???

Update!  Just read an article on Bleacher Report that said Robert Quinn could indeed be available.  They are mentioning him as a possible surprise cut this year.  The Rams would try to trade him first.  They desperately need the cap space and they are moving to a 3-4 defense.  They are not sure he will transition well.  He has been injured the past two seasons but is only 26 and signed through 2019.  The fact that he is being mentioned as a potential veteran cut surprised me.  It appears the Rams have to do something to get under the cap. 

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Update!  Just read an article on Bleacher Report that said Robert Quinn could indeed be available.  They are mentioning him as a possible surprise cut this year.  The Rams would try to trade him first.  They desperately need the cap space and they are moving to a 3-4 defense.  They are not sure he will transition well.  He has been injured the past two seasons but is only 26 and signed through 2019.  The fact that he is being mentioned as a potential veteran cut surprised me.  It appears the Rams have to do something to get under the cap. 

If they are switching to a 3-4 and cut him then they are hurting themselves.  Aaron Donald is a beast because of the 4-3 also.  They are going against the players they have IMO.  Regardless I am not the coaching staff so if they do not see him as a fit for that scheme I am curious to what we would see as well.

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I hadn't seen that, but that's why I listed his name. I personally think if he's 100% he'd be find standing up in a 3-4.  He could be the game wrecking machine we need???

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

If they are switching to a 3-4 and cut him then they are hurting themselves.  Aaron Donald is a beast because of the 4-3 also.  They are going against the players they have IMO.  Regardless I am not the coaching staff so if they do not see him as a fit for that scheme I am curious to what we would see as well.

Donald is a beast in a 43 or 34.

3 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

They have ran the 4-3 so it will be a change.  The Hybrid they are going to run with more than likely still implement a 4 man front though.

3 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

No. I meant I think he'd be just as good in either. Yes. The Rams have been running a 4-3, but I think Donald would dominate in a 34 or 43. That's all I meant. But yeah. You gotta expect a hybrid D.

2 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

No. I meant I think he'd be just as good in either. Yes. The Rams have been running a 4-3, but I think Donald would dominate in a 34 or 43. That's all I meant.

I can also see him still being a solid player.  I think he is a great DT in a 4 man front so it will be interesting to see him as a outside guy for a 3-4.  I can honestly still see him being a disruptive 3-tech guy for sure.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

I hadn't seen that, but that's why I listed his name. I personally think if he's 100% he'd be find standing up in a 3-4.  He could be the game wrecking machine we need???

I agree.  They are mentioning he would play a similar role that D. Ware did in Denver.  I think he could make the switch but the need for cap space is real.  I think it's a long shot but I have to believe CB is in the loop on this.  Maybe Dorsett and a pick?   Fun speculating though.  He would be a great addition. 

We should trade Adam Vinaterie to father time for a younger Mathis. We all know father time has had his eyes on AV and a young Mathis would really bolster the pass rush. :headspin:

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Dorsett is not going anywhere this season.

If one of our Rookie UDFA WRs like Bug Howard really breaks out in camp, Dorsett could get traded before the season starts for a mid-round pick or a player swap.

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If one of our Rookie UDFA WRs like Bug Howard really breaks out in camp, Dorsett could get traded before the season starts for a mid-round pick or a player swap.

I highly doubt it. If Dorsett is going to be traded it will before renewing his rookie contract. That is next spring. The Colts have another year option being he is a 1st. round pick.

We will need depth and Dorsett fits that bill no matter.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

I highly doubt it. If Dorsett is going to be traded it will before renewing his rookie contract. That is next spring. The Colts have another year option being he is a 1st. round pick.

We will need depth and Dorsett fits that bill no matter.

Have we picked up his 5th year option already? If not, what makes you think we are going to pick it up or re-sign him? Trent Richardson was cut this quick as well. I've explained to you before how he doesn't fit the team. This isn't me saying he's a bad player, this is me saying he's a bad fit. Literally any WR can be depth for us like he could because of the way we use WR3/WR4 type guys. It just so happens right now that he still has value and there are other options we signed in UDFA that can compete with him at this time. It's not really about outdoing him per-se, it's about matching his production with someone else off the streets (a UDFA), and getting what we can for Dorsett (a guy the coaching staff can't use correctly). Ballard also has no loyalty to him. He could say so and so is just as good as him after rookie training camp and we traded Dorsett for this pick because this rookie WR provides similar potential and production and we got what we could for Dorsett, while we could. Just a guess and my opinion though. We signed enough WR's where I believe it will happen.

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Have we picked up his 5th year option already? If not, what makes you think we are going to pick it up or re-sign him? Trent Richardson was cut this quick as well. I've explained to you before how he doesn't fit the team. This isn't me saying he's a bad player, this is me saying he's a bad fit. Literally any WR can be depth for us like he could because of the way we use WR3/WR4 type guys. It just so happens right now that he still has value and there are other options we signed in UDFA that can compete with him at this time. It's not really about outdoing him per-se, it's about matching his production with someone else off the streets (a UDFA), and getting what we can for Dorsett (a guy the coaching staff can't use correctly). Ballard also has no loyalty to him. He could say so and so is just as good as him after rookie training camp and we traded Dorsett for this pick because this rookie WR provides similar potential and production and we got what we could for Dorsett, while we could. Just a guess and my opinion though. We signed enough WR's where I believe it will happen.

Exactly how do we know Dorsett doesn't have the talent to be a Colt? He hasn't been used enough to tell. Luck force feeds Hilton and then dumps it off to Doyle when Hilton is not there.

Luck has yet to utilize the weapons he does have. Some say he holds the ball too long but yet he has yet to have an O-line in front of him for him to go through any progressions. The Colts haven't had a running game either so that just puts defenses stacking on the receivers.

Ballards loyalty to him?  That has zero to do with the players Ballard will keep. If he thinks Dorsett can contribute to wins he will be a Colt. Bringing up who Ballard has loyalty to don't fit into building a team. Luck wasn't drafted by Ballard? Hilton wasn't drafted by Ballard? Is he loyal to them or can you think they could be traded? I know that's over the top but see what I mean? :D

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Exactly how do we know Dorsett doesn't have the talent to be a Colt? He hasn't been used enough to tell. Luck force feeds Hilton and then dumps it off to Doyle when Hilton is not there.

Luck has yet to utilize the weapons he does have. Some say he holds the ball too long but yet he has yet to have an O-line in front of him for him to go through any progressions. The Colts haven't had a running game either so that just puts defenses stacking on the receivers.

Ballards loyalty to him?  That has zero to do with the players Ballard will keep. If he thinks Dorsett can contribute to wins he will be a Colt. Bringing up who Ballard has loyalty to don't fit into building a team. Luck wasn't drafted by Ballard? Hilton wasn't drafted by Ballard? Is he loyal to them or can you think they could be traded? I know that's over the top but see what I mean? :D

As long as we have Chud and Pagano, we won't be able to answer that question. He will be used the same way as he was used last year unless Chud changes the playbook, which I don't see happening. The O-Line may help Luck out to throw it to Dorsett, but the sheer low number of targets Dorsett gets shows Luck has a trust issue with him. Even when Moncrief went down, Dorsett's targets didn't go up. In fact, a large number of Dorsetts targets were in the Steeler game with Scott Tolzien as QB, so that number looks even worse with Luck as QB. You know good and well Hilton is safe (as you hinted). Ballard cleaned house a bit, Dorsett is just a top 4 option at WR right now for us and is currently safe. With our current UDFA WR's about to play in rookie training camp right now though, they have a chance to show they are worthy of making the team. I would put my money on Ballard getting value for Dorsett (while he can) if one breaks out, and using that WR as depth like Dorsett was unless Chud and Pagano actually make a conscious effort to use Dorsett to his strengths. Otherwise, there's no point in losing all his value for us, or wasting his career for him.