Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 'had discussions' of moving T.J. Green to CB

RockThatBlue

I would put him at nickel/dime LB and not look back. Let him blitz a couple times each game. Have him defend TEs and RBs on short passes...keep the ball in front of him as much as possible. He is just not able to track the ball yet...and I don't think he will ever be able to do it well enough to put him at DB. If he has to put on a few pounds to play the position, then so be it.

The issue with Green is that he has never been a good DB. He is just an exceptional athlete...which is why he was moved to the secondary when he didn't pan out as a KR/WR. And his limitations were hidden in Clemson's vaunted defense. So to expect him to figure out how to play DB at the NFL level is a tall order. Exceptional athletes always have some type of upside...but the talent in the the NFL is the great equalizer.

I think it was a terrible pick (especially coupled with passing over very good players for a worthless trade back)...but what's done is done. And I am not cutting him yet for at least one more season...because I think there are creative ways you can utilize his speed and height. And I am interested to see who they do it.  

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i know were some kind of reporter or media guy at stanford

guess how many times have i seen sports reporters be dead wrong?

they are no better at calling games or player busts than i am.

My media days were not with Stanford.      I have just been a long time admirer of the school.

My media days were with CBS, NBC, Fox and other outlets in Los Angeles.   I was a behind the scenes guy (Producer/Writer)  I was not in front of the camera.  (And thank God for that!)

Nobody is right 100% of the time.    Not in most any field.    The idea is to keep being wrong to a minimum.

But that's the fun and the madness of sports,  we're all going to be wrong more than we'd like,  because sports are so unpredictable.

The exchange between us was my fault...    I'll work even harder to make sure it doesn't happen again.

16 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

If Ballard didn't see something that he liked in TJ Green, he would've already been cut. Simple as that.

Exactly. This throw away attitude for players is amazing. If teams didn't give players the chance to develop and cut them before they had a chance, half the players in the league wouldn't be on rosters.

On 5/6/2017 at 6:26 PM, RockThatBlue said:

Didn't the Colts cut DJoun Smith after one year? I know different situations, but its not crazy to think it can't happen to Green.

Hopefully Green improves enough that he doesn't need to get cut, which is obviously possible too.

Smith got a second training camp and preseason to prove his worth, but he couldn't get healthy enough to ever get on the field. They basically had to free up his roster spot to bring in another able-bodied corner because the amount of injuries was so high at that position. Green hasn't had any health issues to date, so at the very least he does have that going for him, and he's a much more dynamic athlete than Smith as well.

23 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Exactly. This throw away attitude for players is amazing. If teams didn't give players the chance to develop and cut them before they had a chance, half the players in the league wouldn't be on rosters.

Just look at the moves Ballard has already made. He has not been shy about cutting dead weight on the roster, and if he felt like Green was in that category, he'd be off the roster. Same with Phillip Dorsett.

24 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Just look at the moves Ballard has already made. He has not been shy about cutting dead weight on the roster, and if he felt like Green was in that category, he'd be off the roster. Same with Phillip Dorsett.

I really don't think any players cut by Ballard came as any surprise to most of us. The talent level between the starters and the next tier was substantial.

Ballard giving the players brought in a chance to develop may pay off. I feel the same way as you in Ballard seeing something in the players still on the roster.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Smith got a second training camp and preseason to prove his worth, but he couldn't get healthy enough to ever get on the field. They basically had to free up his roster spot to bring in another able-bodied corner because the amount of injuries was so high at that position. Green hasn't had any health issues to date, so at the very least he does have that going for him, and he's a much more dynamic athlete than Smith as well.

Not only did smith have have health issues, but it was reported that the main reason he was cut was due to "lack of professionalism", indicating some off the field concerns that the coaching staff had. 

3 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Not only did smith have have health issues, but it was reported that the main reason he was cut was due to "lack of professionalism", indicating some off the field concerns that the coaching staff had. 

Is Smith still on the Titans roster? I haven't heard much out of him. So if he is I'm guessing he must be doing okay off the field. 

3 hours ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

Is Smith still on the Titans roster? I haven't heard much out of him. So if he is I'm guessing he must be doing okay off the field. 

We as fans never really did find out what the issue was that lead to him being cut loose. He was just designated waived/injured, and then when asked why the Colts waived him instead of waiting and moving him to IR when able, it was reported that it was due in part to his "lack of professionalism". With the lack of any criminal charges, suspensions or anything like that, I would have to assume its some sort of attitude/maturity issue. It could even have been an issue that he had with the coaching staff, which would definitely give cause for a team to cut a player loose. 

He is still on with the Titans, so either he doesnt have the same issues he had here, or they have been willing to overlook it. Some teams are willing to overlook more than others, and the Titans have been known to overlook character flaws in favor of talent in the past (Bernard Pollard and Albert Haynesworth are 2 high profile guys just off the top of my head). 

At the end of the day, he was only a PS player for them and only made the roster for 1 game, in which he didnt record any stats. Chances are he isnt going to make the final 53 this year. If he does still have off the field (attitude) issues, he might even be overlooked for the PS by a younger player who is less of a headache. Only time will tell. 

20 hours ago, jimmy g said:

Isn't that all any of us are?  Just a guy on the internet?????

Well....

In a literal sense,  sure.      We're all just a single person on the internet.

And if you view all posters are relatively equal,  and you don't really love or hate anyone,  then that's even more to your point.     Everyone is roughly the same,  roughly equal.

But many here have favorites and those they'd rather live without.

Oddly enough,   I'm on both of those lists.     There are people here who seem fond of me,  and there's another group of people who wouldn't be disappointed if I didn't post here ever again.     And I'm OK with that.    I've learned over the years that you can't please everyone.

So, it all depends on your perspective....    no right or wrong answer....     whatever works best for you, I guess....

20 hours ago, elyanon said:

UNTIL WE SEE WHAT OUR DRAFTEE'S AND FREE AGENTS HAVE T.J.GREEN IS A GOOD CHOICE THE KID LEARNED A LOT LAST YEAR WITH ALL BACK FIELD INJURIES.

If he learned as much as you've claimed, please explain why he was rated the worst safety in the league last year? I just don't see him being a long term solution in the Colts team picture.

8 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

If he learned as much as you've claimed, please explain why he was rated the worst safety in the league last year? I just don't see him being a long term solution in the Colts team picture.

That is like asking why a 7 yr old cant read war and peace after learning the basics of reading throughout 1st grade. Obviously someone who is inexperienced and just learning the proper way to do something isnt going to be the best at it, or even average. Just because he didnt light it up doesnt mean he didnt learn anything when he got those reps last year.  Landon Collins got lots of reps his rookie year, and was rated the worst safety in the league. If Collins didnt learn anything during his struggles, how did he end up an All Pro the next season? I dont expect Green to be an All Pro, but I do expect to see an improvement which he can build upon and eventually be a solid contributor to our team, whether he starts or not. 

36 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

That is like asking why a 7 yr old cant read war and peace after learning the basics of reading throughout 1st grade. Obviously someone who is inexperienced and just learning the proper way to do something isnt going to be the best at it, or even average. Just because he didnt light it up doesnt mean he didnt learn anything when he got those reps last year.  Landon Collins got lots of reps his rookie year, and was rated the worst safety in the league. If Collins didnt learn anything during his struggles, how did he end up an All Pro the next season? I dont expect Green to be an All Pro, but I do expect to see an improvement which he can build upon and eventually be a solid contributor to our team, whether he starts or not. 

I didn't realize Collins was rated the worst safety the year before. I don't see Green as that type of hitter, but good luck to him.

Just now, Blueblood23 said:

I didn't realize Collins was rated the worst safety the year before. I don't see Green as that type of hitter, but good luck to him.

Agreed. I dont see Green making a leap anywhere close to what Collins did. Id be happy just to see him improve and become a solid rotational guy down the line. Green has a much tougher learning curve than Collins. Collins was a top prospect with a decent skill set. Green was a project that barely played the position in his life. I expect his timeline to be closer to Swoope's progression than it is to Collins. I am willing to be patient, and our safety situation is good enough now that I think the coaches can afford to be patient as well, at least for another year or 2.