Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 'had discussions' of moving T.J. Green to CB

RockThatBlue

18 hours ago, Superman said:

That's an excellent question.

I'd also like to know why we're making a story out of a throwaway line in response to a press conference question. 

Right. I guess I can see why it would be thought that he could move to CB because we have so much competition at safety, and less at cornerback, but he is already a project. Nobody is worth wasting their whole rookie contract trying to teach that player how to play in the NFL correctly. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you get a chance to see the Ballard interview,  it's a single question, and he smiles and basically says yeah,  we've talked about it,  but for right now,  we want to play him at Safety."

That's pretty much it.    I may be off by a few words here or there,  but not much. 

One quick question,  one quick answer.....

There isn't much to this....

30 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

If he was a 7th rounder, nobody would have blinked an eye and would have said he struggled but he was a 7th rounder, give him another year with that size/speed ratio.

A pick is a pick once on the team and it doesn't matter where they were drafted, they are just players after that.

I absolutely agree with this.......I don't know if Green will ever be a good player, but I do believe it is too early to tell.

17 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

Id like to see him in more of a position made for him. Use him in special teams, field goal blocks, 3 safety sets, and as a blitzer. Instead of complaining about how bad he is let's use him to his strengths instead of his weaknesses.

Problem with Green is he is more of a track guy than a football player. To date he has shown no strengths on the football side of the business.

19 hours ago, Superman said:

How about one year, for a guy with considerable physical traits who was thrown into a starting role before he was ready?

What's absolutely true is that -- whether Ballard has something invested in him or not -- he's not going to stick with Green just because. The Chiefs cut their own third round pick last season, a highly regarded corner who didn't bring it in camp. There's no question that if Green doesn't look right through preseason and gets outplayed by other guys, he'll be on the chopping block.

UDFA defensive backs are licking their chops looking at Green's roster spot.

im rooting for him, i would like to see him develop into a piece of this defense whether its CB or Safety, but my gut tells me he is another one of Grigsons project flops, and as others have stated Ballard has no ties to him. Time will tell though, i have full confidence that Ballard will make the correct decision on how to handle the situation.

7 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Reasons are as follows:

1. It was ashouldriggson pick

2. He was a high draft pick

3. Ballard can draft way better than Griggson

4. All of Ballards picks will be superior to all Griggson picks

5. It was a Griggson pick

6. It was a Griggson pick

7. It was a Griggson pick

So many people here just can't seem to understand that the guy was chosen for his potential, right or wrong. Ballard took 2 of those guys in this draft and you could argue that he took 3-4 maybe. What if those guys stink it up in their first year? Do we cast those guys aside after one year as well and claim Ballard has no clue what he is drafting? There is no doubt that Green struggled but quite honestly, who in that secondary didn't last season? With his size/speed combo, there is no way he gets cut loose because of one season of poor play. Now if he cleans some up in preseason and shows he has studied and growth, he will continue on the team. If he appears he is still lost and no growth, he goes strictly to special teams and evaluated after the 2nd season. He is no worse of a player than some 6th rounder they give a couple years on the team as depth and special teams. He may or may not make the team long term but most here think he is a poor player because he was a Griggson pick and didn't make the pro bowl after his first year even though the team tempered expectations right after he was drafted as a high ceiling developmental player taken in a higher round. If he was a 7th rounder, nobody would have blinked an eye and would have said he struggled but he was a 7th rounder, give him another year with that size/speed ratio.

A pick is a pick once on the team and it doesn't matter where they were drafted, they are just players after that. Where you differ their value is once they get on that 2nd contract. If the guy is a Griggson player and he just got signed to a 5yr 60 million dollar contract and he stunk it up last season, he gets a serious look as to whether he is cuttable or not because of his production. Draft picks should get more than 1 season to see how they develop.

Some draft picks get cut before they ever play a snap.  Why shOuld we give green 2-4 years?

Hes shown nothing

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 4:54 PM, Colts1324 said:

My problem with that is, why move a safety that can't cover to CB? 

This is confusing to me..I wouldn't mess with him

..I think his speed and size is needed....you need depth....especially in the secondary..

.....you never give up on a player after one rookie season....

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 6:24 PM, #12. said:

The guy who made that questionable decision is out of the league.  Ballard has nothing invested in Green, and expecting Ballard to show years of patience with a Grigson project player, given everything I think I know about Ballard, seems like pure fantasy to me.  

You dont give up on a rookie at a difficult position after one season......I don't think Mr. Ballard is judging players based on whether he drafted them or not....

38 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Some draft picks get cut before they ever play a snap.  Why shOuld we give green 2-4 years?

Hes shown nothing

This is fan-boy talk....

Professional people in the personnel side of the NFL understand that more time is needed with many players....

Pagano has already come out this off-season and apologized for even playing Green last year.    Said he really wasn't ready to do what he was asked to do.     He was forced into a bad situation.

And his raw tools are why you don't cut him yet.      Skills like that are not readily available...

I'm not predicting Green will someday be great, or even good....     but he should be given the proper time to prove what he can, or can't do.....

39 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Hes shown nothing

He will get an opportunity to prove his self to CB with a greatly changed team around him & a year under his belt lets see what we have before we throw the baby out with the bathwater ..

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

You dont give up on a rookie at a difficult position after one season......I don't think Mr. Ballard is judging players based on whether he drafted them or not....

Ballard gave up on a 3rd rounder before his rookie season.  When it comes to Green, he re-signed Butler, and drafted Hooker.  If that doesn't tell you everything you need to know about our 2nd rounder from last season, I don't know what would.

I realize you were a Grigson supporter, but some friendly advice - cut your losses.  Move on.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is fan-boy talk....

Professional people in the personnel side of the NFL understand that more time is needed with many players....

Pagano has already come out this off-season and apologized for even playing Green last year.    Said he really wasn't ready to do what he was asked to do.     He was forced into a bad situation.

And his raw tools are why you don't cut him yet.      Skills like that are not readily available...

I'm not predicting Green will someday be great, or even good....     but he should be given the proper time to prove what he can, or can't do.....

i dont appreciate your fan boy comment or condescending tone in nearly every post you make

stop acting like you are smarter than everyone else, you're just another guy on the internet

on topic, ballard has cut draft picks in less time than green has been here.  he just said where you were drafted is irrelevant, and roster spots are going to be an open competition

that means green needs to produce soon or get cut

the problem is green was just plain bad

every roster has project players, but its usually guys at a premium potions like oline, pass rusher or QB

or its guys that have actually shown something other than raw speed

20 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I personally don't think he ever amounts to ___, but JMO. Say what you want about his height-weight-speed. But he was just terrible, and we drafted him....OVER drafted him on those physical traits alone. If we wanted a developmental S why not Sean Davis, who was clearly more talented ???? What about Cody Whitehair who would've given us a top 10 OL. Or Deion Jones who would have given us a dynamic playmaker at ILB...Or moving up  2-3 spots for a beast WR like Michael Thomas ????? Didn't list Bradberry as I see him as a product of Carolina's scheme, but he was very good every game I watched Carolina play, but he's not really a press man kinda kid.

Castanzo - Mewhort - Kelly - Whitehair - Haeg/Clark......= A top 10 O-Line LAST YEAR. Probably top 5 this year.

Or moving up for Thomas. Wow. Andrew Luck with Thomas - Hilton - Moncrief - Dorsett at WR......Yeah.....

Do you know how outraged this forum would have been if we took another WR that high... 

Come on.. 

1 hour ago, VaAllDay757 said:

I want to see green make it I think he can help the defense out he just needs to learn it's only his 2nd year I believe he will improve

Agreed. Green is a 2nd year colts high draft pick. If thats not enough a reason to at least hope for a moderately successful career, you may want to revoke your colts fan card. From the sound of it a lot of you would have been fine trading peyton after year one because of his obvious rookie inexperience. Whether he was drafted by ballard or not holds little to no bearing in pro football. The man is on a cheap contract it would make no sense to not give him his second year *unless someone majes a ridiculous trade offer which will not happen*

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

This is confusing to me..I wouldn't mess with him

..I think his speed and size is needed....you need depth....especially in the secondary..

.....you never give up on a player after one rookie season....

I'm not giving up on him. I just don't see how he gets moved to corner honestly. His biggest weakness IMO is being able to read the quarterback(track where the ball is going), and stay on the defender at the same time. That's what a cornerback does.

Maybe he improves tremendously... I hope so. We invested an early third round pick in him. 

I also wouldn't be surprised if he is traded for a late round pick either. Not that I believe we are giving up on him, rather he has no shot at being a starter on our team. 

1) Its my opinion he'll never be anything more than MAYBE a backup safety/special teamer if that. I'm still mad about the pick when so many other good players were available.

2) I really hope I'm wrong and we end up with a superstar talent. Just don't see it.

3) Why the hell are there people on here trying to defend Ryan Grigson in any way ????? !!!!!!! There's no defending him. Any argument you make for him makes you look bad. He's a joke.

6 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i dont appreciate your fan boy comment or condescending tone in nearly every post you make

stop acting like you are smarter than everyone else, you're just another guy on the internet

on topic, ballard has cut draft picks in less time than green has been here.  he just said where you were drafted is irrelevant, and roster spots are going to be an open competition

And I don't appreciate you saying that 1 + 1 does not equal 2 because you don't think it does.

And if you think I'm just another guy on the internet that that tells me how little you know about....  well...  pretty much everything. 

Feel free to ignore me,  and I'll try to return the favor...

7 hours ago, aaron11 said:

For the record,   I just tried to send you an apology by private message and I'm blocked.

So,  I'm letting you know here since I have no other option.

My apology basically said that you and I knocked heads two months ago,   and I had forgotten that.     If I had remembered that I wouldn't have responded as I did.      My bad.

I added that I will try not to respond to you at all.     I won't quote you or mention you by name.    That I may respond in a thread that you happen to be in but my response will not take a shot at you.

Hope that settles things between us....

NCF

Not sure why he would get moved to CB he would be even lower on the depth chart than he is at safety 

Question.....   didn't Butler sign as a contract as a safety?   Isn't safety money and CB money different?   Just asking because if he was signed at a lower price to move to safety why would he be playing  CB?   Even if it's nickle.   Honest question.  I have been thinking about this for some time now 

And FWIW Hairston is the one everyone needs to keep an eye on.   This kid could be the steal of the draft for us 

2 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

Not sure why he would get moved to CB he would be even lower on the depth chart than he is at safety 

Question.....   didn't Butler sign as a contract as a safety?   Isn't safety money and CB money different?   Just asking because if he was signed at a lower price to move to safety why would he be playing  CB?   Even if it's nickle.   Honest question.  I have been thinking about this for some time now 

And FWIW Hairston is the one everyone needs to keep an eye on.   This kid could be the steal of the draft for us 

Ironically,  Butler was actually signed for more money than he making as a nickel corner....    and I think that was done on the anticipation that he'd be the perceived starter and not the part-time starter as a slot corner...

On 5/5/2017 at 6:23 PM, LuckyHooker24 said:

I like bringing him in on special packages. Bring him in on blitzes, or to possibly cover bigger receivers and tight ends. I would move him all around the field. He certainly has good speed and size and can definitely help against the run. Hopefully his cover skills continue to improve.

This is just right.

22 hours ago, #12. said:

Ballard gave up on a 3rd rounder before his rookie season.  When it comes to Green, he re-signed Butler, and drafted Hooker.  If that doesn't tell you everything you need to know about our 2nd rounder from last season, I don't know what would.

I realize you were a Grigson supporter, but some friendly advice - cut your losses.  Move on.

KC had a glut of players at DB. That's how they were able to do that. We are not in that position. He'd have to totally stink up the joint in the preseason and all of camp for him to be released.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

KC had a glut of players at DB. That's how they were able to do that. We are not in that position. He'd have to totally stink up the joint in the preseason and all of camp for him to be released.

No, I think he'll get another year.  Probably.  It's not guaranteed though.  A better option could be released.   

24 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

I wonder if TJ will get a absurd amount of playtime in a the preseason?  Perhaps we will get a better idea then?

I hope him and Morrison do so we can check thier coverage skills 

On 5/7/2017 at 3:45 AM, NewColtsFan said:

And if you think I'm just another guy on the internet that that tells me how little you know about....  well...  pretty much everything. 

Isn't that all any of us are?  Just a guy on the internet?????

On 5/5/2017 at 5:47 PM, RockThatBlue said:

It's where he was projected coming out of the draft.  That said the problems he had while he was playing safety are only going to be further highlighted playing CB.

Essentially you are left with an athletic young player who just doesn't know how to play any position.  That's a very difficult thing.  No one wants to part with that kind of athletic ability because of the potential.  But would the kid ever realize that potential? 

On 5/7/2017 at 3:45 AM, NewColtsFan said:

i know were some kind of reporter or media guy at stanford

guess how many times have i seen sports reporters be dead wrong?

they are no better at calling games or player busts than i am.

I think it'd be smart to work Green at pretty much every position defensively this offseason and TC. Specifically, Safety, CB, and nickle LB. I don't think it would be smart to just pencil him in as a Safety. He's obviously an insane athlete; work with him to try to find his best fit.

Let that man show us his improvements.   I'm sure he's capable of doing that. Not sure what their plans are with him but I see no reason why he can't get better.  I'm expecting he'll be better.  By how much I don't know, but if he is that's a big plus for us.