6. Bug Howard

7. Jerome Lane

8. Marcus Leak

9. Donte Moncrief

10. Jojo Natson

11. Chester Rogers

12. Tevaun Smith

Predictions?

How many we keep or trade or practice squad?

Right now I say we keep 6. TY, Moncrief, Dorsett, Aiken, Rogers, and Bray.

But I need to see how the new guys play in the preseason. I could see someone like Bug Howard making the roster but I just find it unlikely with others on the roster who have played a year in the offense already.

I think 2 will make the practice squad... probably Howard and Tavaun Smith.

I think Bray might be safe if nobody else can return punts. One of these young running backs will take of kick returns (money is on Mack returning those). Returning punts is a different beast. Not sure what skills are required to return pbut vs kicks but I know they're slightly different.

7 hours ago, colts52761 said:

1. Kamar Aiken

2. Quan Bray

3. Phillip Dorsett

4. Trey Griffey

5. Ty Hilton

6. Bug Howard

7. Jerome Lane

8. Marcus Leak

9. Donte Moncrief

10. Jojo Natson

11. Chester Rogers

12. Tevaun Smith

Predictions?

How many we keep or trade or practice squad?

For certain:

1. TY

2. Moncreif

most likely

3. Dorsett

4. Aiken

Sketchy

5. Chester Rogers

6. Quan Bray 

7. T. Smith

i think we keep 5 wr's on the active squad, especially if one of the rb's can take on the return/punt duties. 

6 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

But I need to see how the new guys play in the preseason. I could see someone like Bug Howard making the roster but I just find it unlikely with others on the roster who have played a year in the offense already.

Bray is a return guy. If that's all he's bringing to the table, he'll be replaced easily

Rather have 6 WR instead of 5 WR and a return guy. He's made some decent plays in the passing game, but he's nothing special 

Early prediction:

On 53 Man Roster:

TY Hilton

Donte Moncrief

Phillip Dorsett

Kamar Aiken

Quan Bray (purely KR/PR)

Chester Rogers

On Practice Squad:

Trey Griffrey

Jerome Lane

Bug Howard

The rest are cut and not brought back to the PS.

Active Roster

Kamar Aiken

Phillip Dorsett

Ty Hilton

Donte Moncrief

Chester Rogers

Practice Squad

Tevaun Smith

Trey Griffey

Bug Howard

I wouldn't be shocked if Dorsett is traded, but I don't think it's likely. As an ACC fan I'm pulling for Bug Howard even though I cannot stand UNC.

4 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Bray is a return guy. If that's all he's bringing to the table, he'll be replaced easily

Rather have 6 WR instead of 5 WR and a return guy. He's made some decent plays in the passing game, but he's nothing special 

Agreed.  I honestly don't know why they re-signed Bray.  He was average a KO returner and Rogers was better as a PR.  He's not a very good receiver either.

Last year we were really good in the redzone but maybe below average in the middle of the field as far as plays going for more than 20 yards.  No surprise that TY was the leader in that category.

It may surprise people that Rogers was better than Moncrief there.  But Moncrief did great in the redzone. 

We run more 3 WR sets than 2 TE sets, so I expect them to have 6 WRs.

Only 5 I am certain about - Hilton, Moncrief, Dorsett, Aiken, Rogers

That last spot is up for grabs, IMO. Looking forward to see which UDFA impresses there. Always fun to see that 1 UDFA guy take advantage of his playing time to make it into the 53.

1 hour ago, TKnight24 said:

He made a few plays as a receiver. I think the fact they brought him back shows that they believe in him. He could be beat out but that depends on how the rookies look in preseason. 

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Agreed.  I honestly don't know why they re-signed Bray.  He was average a KO returner and Rogers was better as a PR.  He's not a very good receiver either.

Granted it's from two years ago as Quan Bray suffered a season-ending injury last year, but people forget that he was a great returner.

6 hours ago, twfish said:

I really want too see how tevaun Smith does this year. I really liked him last year and if I remember right he's 6'2 and he had a pretty quick 40 and good hands

Last year, he and Chester Rodgers were neck and neck in the pre season games for that last WR spot on the playing roster. Tevaun was unlucky in the end to be fair, he probably a better WR than Bray, its just Bray is the KR/PR. 

2 hours ago, MTC said:

Granted it's from two years ago as Quan Bray suffered a season-ending injury last year, but people forget that he was a great returner.

I'm not sure what 'top graded' means, but he was 6th two years ago in KR average.  Maybe that takes into account yards past the endzone only?  Last year he dropped to 25 yds/ret. 

To me, when you take the ball two yards deep and you're averaging 27 yds, the only thing you're doing is potentially causing injuries.

I just think unless the returner is one of those guys the other teams fear, it's a waste of a position if that's his main function.  Just MHO.

3 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

Last year, he and Chester Rodgers were neck and neck in the pre season games for that last WR spot on the playing roster. Tevaun was unlucky in the end to be fair, he probably a better WR than Bray, its just Bray is the KR/PR. 

Yea I think that's why he didn't as well. Chester was better at returning but tevaun is a lil taller and faster. As much as I like rooting for udfa wr neither may make it this year

On 5/5/2017 at 3:34 AM, Bluefire4 said:

This is how I see it right now too.  On Bray it will depend on if they think one of the other guys can handle return duties because that's his primary gig with the Colts.  But as of now, he's the man.  Smith showed well in limited action last year and Howard's size is intriguing so I agree they might make PS.

51 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

This is how I see it right now too.  On Bray it will depend on if they think one of the other guys can handle return duties because that's his primary gig with the Colts.  But as of now, he's the man.  Smith showed well in limited action last year and Howard's size is intriguing so I agree they might make PS.

Did you miss last season? Rogers handled PR duties and averaged 9.2 YR. Bray's career average on punt returns is 8.0 with his best year 8.3 YR. Rogers almost bested that by a full yard. PR is more difficult you can't just throw anyone back there.  We have other options at KR.

Bray is going to have to make the team as a WR. I don't think that happens if we keep  8 wide outs. 

It would not be shocking if we took another look at Dorsett as a PR 

I love how much depth we have at WR.

Hilton,Moncrief,Dorsett,Aiken as our top guys. Two of those guys can fly, while the other two have the size and height.

Chester Rogers showed that he can play when called upon too.

And Bray is a solid returner.

No complaints here. I wonder if Mack can return kicks/punts?

Same with Dorsett. These kids can fly.

1 hour ago, LuckyHooker24 said:

Bray established himself as a returner and I like him there.

It's gonna be hard for one of them to beat him out.

Bray isn't that great we should have kept Todman he did way better than Bray anyway I also think that any one of those new recievers can or will beat him out.

5 hours ago, LuckyHooker24 said:

I love how much depth we have at WR.

Hilton,Moncrief,Dorsett,Aiken as our top guys. Two of those guys can fly, while the other two have the size and height.

Chester Rogers showed that he can play when called upon too.

And Bray is a solid returner.

No complaints here. I wonder if Mack can return kicks/punts?

Same with Dorsett. These kids can fly.

I agree that TY his a great receiver, and Aiken is a good depth piece, but the rest of yet to reach their potential.

Sure Dorsett can FLY but we've seen time and time again, the guy cant catch. 

I liked Chester Rogers as well, but he's still a question mark. He may become the third receiver honestly (once again just a POTENTIAL guy)

Moncrief is another guy, he got a lot of touchdowns in limited time last year, but being consistent and burning defenders, or playing up to his size, or even beyond it, he lacked in that area. Another guy with just potential that has yet to show any consistency at all. 

God for bid if T.Y missed a game due to an injury, it would truly show that our receivers is actually a weakness.  

You can come back at me that they are still young and could turn it around, but right now, stats are stats, facts are facts and everyone besides TY has shown very little. 

(Aiken is solid) .

49 minutes ago, Vinatieri4 said:

I agree that TY his a great receiver, and Aiken is a good depth piece, but the rest of yet to reach their potential.

I liked Chester Rogers as well, but he's still a question mark. He may become the third receiver honestly (once again just a POTENTIAL guy)

Moncrief is another guy, he got a lot of touchdowns in limited time last year, but being consistent and burning defenders, or playing up to his size, or even beyond it, he lacked in that area. Another guy with just potential that has yet to show any consistency at all. 

God for bid if T.Y missed a game due to an injury, it would truly show that our receivers is actually a weakness.  

You can come back at me that they are still young and could turn it around, but right now, stats are stats, facts are facts and everyone besides TY has shown very little. 

(Aiken is solid) .

Saying Dorsett can't catch is not exactly correct. According to another poster he had two drops last season. Moncrief is a fine receiver but like Dorsett he is under utilized.

Luck force feeds Hilton and when that don't work he dumps it off to Doyle.

You speak of facts, those are the facts.

1 hour ago, Vinatieri4 said:

(Aiken is solid) .

For somebody that likes to state "stats" and talk about facts why do you just repeat old untrue talking points? Dorsett dropped only one pass his senior year in college, none his rookie year albeit injury shortnened and lead our team in drop percentage last year. If you want to point out someone that drops a lot point at TY. He has been at the top of the drop leaders among the league since he was drafted. Nobody gets on him for that...so maybe we can not be so hypocritical of Phillip when he hasn't earned that moniker of having poor hands.

The rest of your post is pretty accurate. Young and inconsistent is how I see our receivers. Moncrief has excelled in the red zone but not established himself between the 20s as a go to receiver. The younger guys have had moments but yet to establish themselves. I think all our receivers need to work on getting off press coverage and give Luck more targets and earlier in the routes.

18 hours ago, Vinatieri4 said:

(Aiken is solid) .

I will come back to you with that...

Moncrief is 24 when the seasons starts
Dorsett is 24 (older than moncrief)
Rogers is 23
Aiken is 28 at the end of May

Are you seriously telling me that Moncrief isnt going to improve? He has shown improvement already, if he hadnt missed half of last season he could have posted a monster 14 or 15 TDs and 650 - 700 yards or so... Considering the other options in our passing attack, those are very good numbers... especially the TDs... And those are his "inconsistent" numbers as you are putting it... What more do you want from him at 23 years old when he isnt even the number 1 receiver?

Dorsett we all know about, he was drafted too high and is buried lower on the depth chart than Moncrief. He has big play potential and has shown it though. He just needs to be utilised in the right way.

Rogers showed well in limited action, but isnt a starting WR for us.... Nor should he be... He is solid depth and that is all we need from him.

Aiken is icing on the cake and gives us that solid second #2 WR should moncrief go down, and if TY goes down, Aiken and Moncrief arent so bad to have as your starting 2 wideouts, with Rogers backing them up, not to mention Doyle is an option and Swoope showed great last year. He is only going to get better too with more and more football time.

22 minutes ago, krunk said:

Bug Howard looks to be pretty decent. I'll check him out when we start playing.

I was just looking at the UDFA's on the offensive side of the ball. Howard at 6'4 is one of the guys who stand out. I will be interested to see what he has when things get rolling. We have 2 guys returning from the PS I'm very interested in. Smith of course who may have been the final cut to 53 last season. Marcus Leak 6'0 220lbs or thereabouts made noise maybe the most early noise last year.. An injury prior to the first preseason game silenced him. The WR group is going to be very competitive and a tough path to the roster.

2 guys with a much easier paths are Muller and Crossan. Muller at 6'6" 315lb G with 49 Big 10 games under his belt appears ready ordered. Mewhort will start at LG beyond Jack we are shocking thin at G. After painfully watching Dorian Johnson go a handful of picks before our 4th round slot. I have hope Muller can provide immediate help at G. Looking at the roster OG is now the largest hole IMO. 

The RB position is wide open after the first 3 guy's. Ferguson didn't look like he belonged in the league last season. Todman is gone. Enter Crossman who look's to be a mix of Todman and what Ferguson was thought to be  His 71 career KO returns could be what secures him a spot.