Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Cutler reportedly interested in broadcasting career. Possibly will retire.

ReMeDy

Interesting why pretty boy Romo was given a job in a broadcast booth where he will be seldom seen and Phil Sims in his 60's has been moved to the screen for extended periods of time. Cutler has the face for radio and is as exciting as creamed corn. He may be successful if he can manage to remain awake for the duration of the broadcasts.

Joe Buck: Ball on the 25 yard line, Packers are pushing to score here and take the lead

Cutler: Rodgers should throw a pick.  Those defensive backs are wide open

Buck: Um....

Cutler: I mean, that's what I would do.  The Bears paid me over $100 mil to do it

Buck: Rodgers takes the snap, drops back, throws for the endzone, touchdown!!

Cutler: Well, I guess that's why Rodgers is such a good quarterback.  I didn't even see that receiver.  But the corner on the backside was wide open

---

Joe Buck: Eli takes the snap, throws deep for Beckham, and it's intercepted!

Cutler (slight grin): I saw that coming a mile away

Buck: Let's go to our resident expert in this situation.  Jay, what did you see that led to the interception?

I did not see this coming, I must admit,.....

......He's got to dredge up a level of excitement......that's not obviously apparent through years of interviews.

But I'm guessing he didn't want to sit at home with his kid watching endless reruns of Nicky, Ricky, Dickey and Dawn...

.....You cant lose or get booed in the broadcast booth...

7 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I heard from some NFL insiders on various shows Cutler may do well.  Also there is this-

https://beargoggleson.com/2017/05/05/cutler/

The author is clearly a fan of Jay Cutler. I think what will help Cutler be successful is being in the booth with Kevin Burkhardt. I am a big fan of his. He started his career in NY, winning a contest on the local sports radio station WFAN to host his own show at least once a week. I always enjoyed his shows, as they were free of sensationalistic material and he respected the callers. He went on to work for the Mets television station SNY and was responsible for interviewing players before and after games and giving updates. I hated to see him leave the Mets, but his career has really taken off. I am pleased for him.

He and John Lynch made a good pair. I enjoyed their broadcasts better than that of Joe Buck and Aikman. While I am not a fan of Cutler, I hope it works out with him, Burkhardt and Charles Davis.

To say that Jay was a favorite of local Chicago media is an exaggeration, from what I've heard on Chicago media. But he did have a radio show on ESPN Chicago where he was a sarcastic Don Imus kinda funny...

Now he didnt always show up for the show and it was discontinued....

.....it just comes down to whether he wants to be analytical and critical. he can be...

I think that now that he doesnt have to talk about himself and why his team lost....he'll be fine for as long as he wants to do it.

..and he's not going back to football..the demand for his services is kinda low

I know he got a job with Fox but this seems like a poor decision to me.  Cutler was one of the least likable personalities in the NFL.  Quite frankly I think his personalty hurt his career.

It seems silly to me that they are going to take one of the least likable guys in the NFL and bring him into the broadcast booth where you need to be likable to be successful.

Tony Romo makes sense because he's a fairly likable guy.  Cutler doesn't.  

Well apparently, you don't have to be a very good quarterback to become an analyst anymore. I wonder why Jeff George didn't get a gig after he retired. Neither Romo or Cutler are going to be in the Hall of Fame ever, but nice that they could get broadcasting gigs like it's nothing. 

14 hours ago, Synthetic said:

Well apparently, you don't have to be a very good quarterback to become an analyst anymore. I wonder why Jeff George didn't get a gig after he retired. Neither Romo or Cutler are going to be in the Hall of Fame ever, but nice that they could get broadcasting gigs like it's nothing. 

Being a hall of fame worthy player has never been pre requisite for being a color commentator

21 hours ago, Synthetic said:

Who is the better commentator Trent Dilfer or Dan Marino???