Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My ideal pick in the 2018 Draft

What do you guys think of either Harold Landry of Boston College or Cameron Smith of USC? I think both of them may be available in the late 20s where I realistically expect the Colts to pick.

Marcell Frazier is another guy I have my eye on as well.

Some players I would be eyeing closely for the Colts this season are:

Malik Jefferson, LB, Texas

Harold Landry, Edge, Boston College

Mitch Hyatt, OT, Clemson

Connor Williams, OT, Texas

Darius Guice, RB, LSU

Sam Hubbard, Edge, Ohio St.

Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia

L.J. Scott, RB, Michigan St.

James Butler, RB, Nevada

Wyatt Teller, G, Virginia Tech

Micah Kiser, LB, Virginia

Josh Sweat, Edge, Florida St.

Dorance Armstrong, Edge, Kansas

Porter Guston, Edge/LB, USC

Jordan Thomas, CB, Oklahoma

Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame

Will Hernandez, G, UTEP

Edited by Track Guy

• 2 months later...
On 5/9/2017 at 6:49 PM, Track Guy said:

Some players I would be eyeing closely for the Colts this season are:

Malik Jefferson, LB, Texas

Harold Landry, Edge, Boston College

Mitch Hyatt, OT, Clemson

Connor Williams, OT, Texas

Darius Guice, RB, LSU

Sam Hubbard, Edge, Ohio St.

Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia

L.J. Scott, RB, Michigan St.

James Butler, RB, Nevada

Wyatt Teller, G, Virginia Tech

Micah Kiser, LB, Virginia

Josh Sweat, Edge, Florida St.

Dorance Armstrong, Edge, Kansas

Porter Guston, Edge/LB, USC

Jordan Thomas, CB, Oklahoma

Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame

Will Hernandez, G, UTEP

Butler is one of my favorite small school backs. Rashaad Penny SDSU is another guy to watch. He spelled Pomphrey last year 1000+ yards.. The Neveda game he had 206 yards on 10 carries. 

A couple of guys who'd play DE for us I'd keep an eye on are Chubb Georgia, and Ejiofor WF. Both get after the QB The kid from UG is Nick's brother. 

16 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I had no idea about this and don't know anything about the kid but that sounds freaking awesome.  

Going to be a 1- 2 punch with Wadley?

I really liked Butler at Nevada. He has 2600+ yards and 6.0ypc in his 2 years as the starter. Last season per football focus he led the nation in broken tackles. He had 37 receptions last year as well. He can catch it. He should work out well for the Hawks.

My only concern would be coming in so late. If he can learn the play book quickly it will definitely ease Wadleys work load and increase what the Hawks do on O.   

Wadley and Butler should complement each other nicely. Butler at 5'9 210 can handle the inside zone plays. They can line Wadley up out wide and go with both lined up in the same backfield. Look for jet sweeps.

It's a good addition for the Hawks They didn't have much experience behind Wadley. I'm not sure he would have held up getting 30 touches a game as some predicted. They could have 2 1000 yard rushers this season. 

7 hours ago, akcolt said:

I really liked Butler at Nevada. He has 2600+ yards and 6.0ypc in his 2 years as the starter. Last season per football focus he led the nation in broken tackles. He had 37 receptions last year as well. He can catch it. He should work out well for the Hawks.

My only concern would be coming in so late. If he can learn the play book quickly it will definitely ease Wadleys work load and increase what the Hawks do on O.   

Wadley and Butler should complement each other nicely. Butler at 5'9 210 can handle the inside zone plays. They can line Wadley up out wide and go with both lined up in the same backfield. Look for jet sweeps.

It's a good addition for the Hawks They didn't have much experience behind Wadley. I'm not sure he would have held up getting 30 touches a game as some predicted. They could have 2 1000 yard rushers this season. 

They had 2 1000 yard rushers last season.  

Plus from what I understand Hawkeye OL is suppose to be really good this year.  

Honestly for the most part I really think it's a good idea for teams at the college or pro level to have 2 solid RB's that can split carries.  I think splitting the carries was something that helped both Wadley and Daniels stay healthy for most of the season.

I'm not worried about him learning the playbook.  He transferred before training camp starts and no one has ever called the Iowa playbook complex.  For the most part coaches say that you know what Iowa's going to do, it's a question of if you can stop them or not.  So it shouldn't be too hard for him to learn the playbook.  

I'm hoping CB, ILB, OLB are addressed early in the 2018 draft. OLB could change depending on how well Sheard, Simon, and Basham perform. DT and RB are also areas Ballard could look at. Gore will most likely be done after this year, which only leaves Turbin and Mack. At DT, Henry Anderson and Hasson Ridgeway are solid, but Langford needs to be replaced especially if he can't regain his form before his injury. 

At CB, Vontae could very well be gone unless he has a stellar 2017 season. Another starter would be needed if that happens. And at ILB, I like the potential of Anthony Walker but there are question marks with almost everyone else. 

On 7/26/2017 at 2:34 PM, BProland85 said:

I'm hoping CB, ILB, OLB are addressed early in the 2018 draft. OLB could change depending on how well Sheard, Simon, and Basham perform. DT and RB are also areas Ballard could look at. Gore will most likely be done after this year, which only leaves Turbin and Mack. At DT, Henry Anderson and Hasson Ridgeway are solid, but Langford needs to be replaced especially if he can't regain his form before his injury. 

At CB, Vontae could very well be gone unless he has a stellar 2017 season. Another starter would be needed if that happens. And at ILB, I like the potential of Anthony Walker but there are question marks with almost everyone else. 

I will say that Henry was solid and I hope he bounces back.  Also, I would agree and say unless Langford comes back to health he will need to be replaced.  I think we will always look at a top athlete that would include OLB, ILB, and CB.  I would like to see someone like McFadden from FSU at CB in the draft if he is available. Then we let Davis go and you have FA to look at another filler as well.  

Also, if Gathers is done we need a Safety but the 1st round I would like to see OLB, ILB, or CB.

On 5/4/2017 at 6:16 PM, Boomstick1 said:

Great to see the Pagano haters are still here before the season even starts.

Pagano isn't worthy of being hated. He has 0 legacy, and he's done nothing of note for his career as a coach. In fact, most opposing coaches love him that are actually relevant, because he's easy to out gameplan, and run circles around on the field. The reason most intelligent Colt fans dislike him is because they have figured out we have no chance of ever achieving anything with him as coach, and he's wasting away Andrew Luck's prime as well as years of our life as football fans on the forum. You are a former defensive coordinator that can't get any growth out of any defensive players, and you always start slow with a top 10 offense (which there's no excuse for, Pagano and Chud). This isn't the old days without internet where people are stupid anymore. They have information, and more and more people are seeing the real picture. There are lots of casuals still, but the hardcore group is smarter than it's ever been, and they see Pagano for what he really is, a coach with an inflated record vs divisional teams who can't beat anyone who matters in the AFC today.

15 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Pagano isn't worthy of being hated. He has 0 legacy, and he's done nothing of note for his career as a coach. In fact, most opposing coaches love him that are actually relevant, because he's easy to out gameplan, and run circles around on the field. The reason most intelligent Colt fans dislike him is because they have figured out we have no chance of ever achieving anything with him as coach, and he's wasting away Andrew Luck's prime as well as years of our life as football fans on the forum. You are a former defensive coordinator that can't get any growth out of any defensive players, and you always start slow with a top 10 offense (which there's no excuse for, Pagano and Chud). This isn't the old days without internet where people are stupid anymore. They have information, and more and more people are seeing the real picture. There are lots of casuals still, but the hardcore group is smarter than it's ever been, and they see Pagano for what he really is, a coach with an inflated record vs divisional teams who can't beat anyone who matters in the AFC today.

I must say......

Of all your posts,  this might be my most unfavorite.     And I'm typically a fan of yours....

As I read it, I thought one of three things....    "No.   Wrong.    Says who?"

I literally had trouble with almost every sentence you wrote.....    but I chalked it up to perhaps you were having a very bad day and were in a terrible mood.....

This was a head scratcher for me.....

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I must say......

Of all your posts,  this might be my most unfavorite.     And I'm typically a fan of yours....

I literally had trouble with almost every sentence you wrote.....    but I chalked it up to perhaps you were having a very bad day and were in a terrible mood.....

I'm sorry, but these Pagano discussions set me off, and I don't like the guy very much anymore. Him, combined with the fact that Luck won't tell us a timetable on his injury, and Luck's injury having a huge domino effect on training camp, has put me in a bad mood as far as football goes. I feel inferior as far as Luck as Irsay are concerned, and this season already feels like a bust season to me if Luck can't get healthy, and we aren't even being told if that's the case.

Also, on Pagano, the year he left Baltimore and came here as the coach, the Ravens won the SB in 2012. That probably should of set off warning signs right there, but no one here ever mentioned that to this day. I'm just feeling pretty miserable about training camp without Luck and the year as a whole, because I don't what's real now, and I'm sorry you got a negative vibe from me.

16 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Problem with this Post is Chuck has actually accomplished a lot. 2 11 win seasons in a row after taking back over for Arians and a Playoff win at Denver over Peyton and Von Miller = a Championship Game experience. He also was the Coach on the sideline when we beat Russell Wilson and his Great RB and Defense in 2013. I personally would love to have Jim Harbaugh as Coach and have my doubts that Chuck could ever lead us to a SB win but Chuck gets crapped on way too much in here IMO. Let me ask you this, is there any Coach in the league right now that would've won the SB with the Rosters we have had since Luck was a Rookie? I will answer that for you, the answer is NO, not even Belichick would've. Grigson should get most of the blame for our failures so far in the Luck era for drafting terribly on the Defensive Side of the ball.

38 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I must say......

I agree but Jared is cool, it is frustrating how everything is so secretive at times. If Luck doesn't start on opening day we are in trouble.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Problem with this Post is Chuck has actually accomplished a lot, 2 11 win seasons in a row after taking back over for Arians and a Playoff win at Denver over Peyton and Von Miller = a Championship Game experience. He also was the Coach on the sideline when we beat Russell Wilson and his Great RB and Defense in 2013. I personally would love to have Jim Harbaugh as Coach and have my doubts that Chuck could ever lead us to a SB win but Chuck gets crapped on way too much in here IMO. Let me ask you this, is there any Coach in the league right now that would've won the SB with the Rosters we have had since Luck was a Rookie? I will answer that for you, the answer is NO, not even Belichick would've. Grigson should get most of the blame for our failures so far in the Luck era for drafting terribly on the Defensive Side of the ball.

I think Belichick may of in 2014, I would also say maybe Pete Carroll or someone like Jim Harbaugh as well. The last two years have worn me down a bit and it's tough being excited right now. I'll get there when Luck is healthy I guess, until then, it's pretty difficult. 

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think Belichick may of in 2014, I would also say maybe Pete Carroll or someone like Jim Harbaugh as well. The last two years have worn me down a bit and it's tough being excited right now. I'll get there when Luck is healthy I guess, until then, it's pretty difficult. 

Yeah I will breath a sigh of relief if Luck is good to go on opening day. Tolzien will probably lose at LA.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I will breath a sigh of relief if Luck is good to go on opening day. Tolzien will probably lose at LA.

Me too, that's what I want as of now. I don't know Tolzien too well aside from the game at Pittsburgh where he tried hard, but ultimately lost. We need Luck to have a chance at the playoffs, and even though we need to do what's best for his health, I'd hate to have him take a whole year off for selfish reasons. It makes it even worse when there's no timetable given.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Me too, that's what I want as of now. I don't know Tolzien too well aside from the game at Pittsburgh where he tried hard, but ultimately lost. We need Luck to have a chance at the playoffs, and even though we need to do what's best for his health, I'd hate to have him take a whole year off for selfish reasons. It makes it even worse when there's no timetable given.

I would hate to go another season missing the Playoffs but lets say Luck takes half the season off, we miss the Playoffs and go 5-11 or 6-10. We would get a high Draft pick and Chuck would get fired. Maybe that would be Harbaugh's Opp to come here? I would rather make the Playoffs and Luck be awesome but just throwing out what could happen. We don't have Hass anymore, If Luck misses a lot of time we will be in the 5-11/6-10 range IMO. If Luck starts on opening day and we win that one and he gets better, I can see 10-6 though and Division Champs.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would hate to go another season missing the Playoffs but lets say Luck takes half the season off, we miss the Playoffs and go 5-11 or 6-10. We would get a high Draft pick and Chuck would get fired. Maybe that would be Harbaugh's Opp to come here? I would rather make the Playoffs and Luck be awesome but just throwing out what could happen. We don't have Hass anymore, If Luck misses a lot of time we will be in the 5-11/6-10 range IMO. If Luck starts on opening day and we win that one and he gets better, I can see 10-6 though and Division Champs.

Yeah, these next few weeks will be key. Lets see how Luck ends up doing. Again, I just wish we had a timetable. It is what it is though, and at least the rookies can develop for 2018, worst case scenario.

The guys I'm looking at the most right now are Harold Landry and Cameron Smith. The medical and off the field stuff with Jefferson scares me.

Ballard should take the same approach in this draft that he took in the last. Defense the 1st 4 rounds. If Geathers is done like I think, I'll take Derwin James in the 1st round

I would love an impact LB in the 1st, or another shutdown corner to play opposite Quincy Wilson for the future. Then add possibly someone like Timmy Jernigan on the DL in free agency, since Kendall Langford can't get healthy, and watch this DL flourish with Hankins, Jernigan, and Anderson as the starters, with Ridgeway, McGill, Woods, and Stewart rotating in. 

Another RB would also help to share the load with Mack and Turbin for the future. The 2018 RB class will be loaded again.