Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Good News and Bad News from Todd McShay.....

....  He's out with his 2018 mock (which he HATES to do) and he's got the Colts taking RB Saquan Barkley in the first round.

The bad news.....   he has the Colts picking.....     7th overall.    

Let's hope that at least one of those predictions (and for those who hate 1st round RB's) possibly two of those predictions DO not COME TRUE!

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

....  He's out with his 2018 mock (which he HATES to do) and he's got the Colts taking RB Saquan Barkley in the first round.

Let's hope that at least one of those predictions (and for those who hate 1st round RB's) possibly two of those predictions DO not COME TRUE!

Saquon is better prospect than Fournette IMO. He truly might be worth a pick that high in the draft. Depending on how the season goes and how we do in free agency we might need another top tier cornerback if we don't resign Vontae or if he continues having injury problems and we can't rely on him staying healthy. I personally love what I've seen from Minkah Fitzpatrick. He's another ballhawk with great athleticism and measurbles. I think when it's all said and done he will be a ~ top 10 pick. I think he's better than Marlon Humphrey for example.

2018 is a deep RB draft.  There are comparisons of Saquon to Elliott - the Colts won't be in a position to draft him without trading up.  Someone will fall in love with Scarborough, he's a physical marvel.  Chubb.  Guice if he comes out - he is as gifted as Fournette in many ways, and may well prove that given the majority of the carries as opposed to mop up behind Fournette.  And I like Jones out of USC, Webb out of Vanderbilt, and especially Freeman out of Oregon.  Freeman in the second or third is who I think would fit nicely.  A 230 pound back with lateral quickness, speed, can catch...  Unless Luck gets hurt, there is zero chance Saquon is the Colts pick in my opinion.  

i dont think we pick 25-32, but i definetly dont think we pick in the top 10. I would say 18-25 range, and next years draft is a very deep running back class, Ballard will pick in the trenches, CB or LB. Who does a 2018 mock right after the 2017 draft anyways, quite unrealistic.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If we pick that high, without a trade up, this team will no doubt have bigger talking points when making this pick. Things like, I wonder how much influence the new head coach of the Colts had on this pick. 

Predictions for next season and the next draft are obviously premature, but with the Colts (hopefully) improved defense and cookie cutter schedule, I think it's pretty bold to predict them to have a worse record next season, let alone pick in the top 10. 

Impossible to tell what team needs will be a year from now with so many young players added to the roster.

Also impossible to tell where any prospect will go in next year's draft. These super early mocks are always so wrong. 

Also not easy to predict where Indy will pick next season... If it's 7th overall with no trade up, i'll eat my hat...  which isn't a huge deal because my hat happens to be a pancake.

On 5/4/2017 at 2:26 PM, BOTT said:

McShay seems to get dumber by the year as it pertains to the colts.

Don't be so hard on the guy....

• The draft order below was generated by Football Outsiders, using its early projected records for the 2017 season.

8 hours ago, dw49 said:

Don't be so hard on the guy....

• The draft order below was generated by Football Outsiders, using its early projected records for the 2017 season.

They didn't make,him pick a RB

12 minutes ago, BOTT said:

....it's dumb to take a RB in the first and even worse to take one in the top 10.

oh.....and where do you think E. Elliott would go if 2016 was re-drafted ?  

Two went in the top 8 this year. Are we to believe that NFL GM's that are paid millions are "dumb."?  Everything being equal , I would agree with you . It's easier to get a starting RB outside of round 1 than say a left tackle. But that doesn't (IMO) qualify what you have above to be true.

28 minutes ago, dw49 said:

oh.....and where do you think E. Elliott would go if 2016 was re-drafted ?  

Two went in the top 8 this year. Are we to believe that NFL GM's that are paid millions are "dumb."?  Everything being equal , I would agree with you . It's easier to get a starting RB outside of round 1 than say a left tackle. But that doesn't (IMO) qualify what you have above to be true.

I don't care where Elliot would go.  I still wouldn't take him.

and yes, there are many dumb general managers in the NFL.  It's proven repeatedly.

24 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I don't care where Elliot would go.  I still wouldn't take him.

and yes, there are many dumb general managers in the NFL.  It's proven repeatedly.

zzzzzz.zzzz

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

I guess I shouldnt have questioned all those genius moves the well compensated Ryan Grigson was making for our beloved Colts.  Silly me.

There are good GM's and not so good GM's . I was speaking generally .. like you were. If you follow your logic ,it would mean that any GM that drafts a RB in the first round is stupid. I was challenging that . I'm sure I'm wasting my time as you probably won't be able to understand that. BTW... wouldn't you think Grigson was good as he never drafted a RB in the first 3 rounds ?

18 hours ago, dw49 said:

There are good GM's and not so good GM's . I was speaking generally .. like you were. If you follow your logic ,it would mean that any GM that drafts a RB in the first round is stupid. I was challenging that . I'm sure I'm wasting my time as you probably won't be able to understand that. BTW... wouldn't you think Grigson was good as he never drafted a RB in the first 3 rounds ?

I wouldn't be able to understand that?  * off

21 hours ago, dw49 said:

Ummmmm....

He traded a 1st round pick for Trent Richardson.      Does it really matter if Trent was not technically "drafted" by Grigson but was "traded" for by Grigson?       I don't see the difference...

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ummmmm....

He traded a 1st round pick for Trent Richardson.      Does it really matter if Trent was not technically "drafted" by Grigson but was "traded" for by Grigson?       I don't see the difference...

What I said was correct I think ? The highest he ever drafted a RB I think was the Syracuse guy in the 4th ?  You have a point but not quite that simple. He used a future first round pick on Richardson but if you want to be technical you could argue that next years first is more often than not valued at a "present time 2nd." Case in hand is if you want a teams pick in "this years" 2nd round , you have to give up your next year's first. Like when the Colts drafted Ugoh ? Just 1 of numerous examples. Unless you are Cleveland I guess.

We also received a first rounder at what APPEARED to be a bargain price. So there was monetary compensation involved there also. Cleveland was charged with his signing bonus while the Colts only had to pay his base salaries. So Grigson thought he was getting a 5 mill $ player for around 2.5 per year. As it turned out he wasn't worth vet minimum but who would have really figured that.

I was just pointing out to Bott that McShay isn't the one that predicted the Colts would finish with the 7th worst record in the NFL. If you read the whole back and forth between Bott and I , I think you will see that I was only trying to point out that there are good GM's and bad GM's and you certainly don't judge them on where they draft RB's.  

My early 2018 RB Rankings:

Rank Player College HT WT
1 Saquon Barkley Penn State 5'11" 223
2 Derrius Guice LSU 5'11" 222
3 Royce Freeman Oregon 5'11" 230
4 Mike Weber Ohio State 5'10" 212
5 Ronald Jones II USC 6'0" 195

Look out for Cam Akers at Florida State. Reminds me of young Frank Gore. I would not blame Jimbo Fisher if he started Akers as a true freshman. He will be eligible for the NFL draft in 2020.

Very impressive kid.

On 5/10/2017 at 10:54 PM, dw49 said:

Well, that's not logical. Just because a GM makes a dumb decision does not make him stupid.