Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tough decisions coming next offseason

CR91

Davis mewhort and moncrief will all be free agents

Mewhort imo is the most important to resign just for his youth, production, and our need to have that continuation of the same line together to protect luck.

Davis needs to have a big year imo to be resigned. He's battled injuries the last two years which has hindered his production, but he's still performed at a high rate, however he's going to be 30 and Wilson could give us reason to move forward without Davis.

Moncrief has the talent to be a one no question, but he's yet to put it all together. He's tremendous in the red zone, but seems to vanish during the course of the game and has dealt with injuries as well.

I want them all to be resigned, but I'm not sure if that will be the case.

I honestly believe the most important person to resign in that group is Mewhort. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them got an extension before the start of the new year. We could up their pay this upcoming season and save us money in the future. We aren't going to use that all of that 16-18 million anyways. 

Moncrief IMO will be let go UNLESS he produces a season over 1,000 yards 7+ TD's. Ballard has already went after Ashlon Jeffery. He will be a FA again next offseason. If Jeffery has a good season, I wouldn't be surprised if we go hard after him again. 

What I hope is, Mewhort, Moncrief, and Davis all play great and we resign all 3. 

But my guess is one of the 3 will not be here this time next year.

If I'm Ballard, I'd even consider re-signing Moncrief and Mewhort this offseason.  Get your young and talented players locked up and keep your nucleus together.  Davis, I'd be more patient.  I'd want to see how he does this year; can he overcome his injuries, can he play more consistently, how valuable is his mentorship to the new and young DBs on the team?

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Mewhort imo is the most important to resign just for his youth, production, and our need to have that continuation of the same line together to protect luck.

Davis needs to have a big year imo to be resigned. He's battled injuries the last two years which has hindered his production, but he's still performed at a high rate, however he's going to be 30 and Wilson could give us reason to move forward without Davis.

Moncrief has the talent to be a one no question, but he's yet to put it all together. He's tremendous in the red zone, but seems to vanish during the course of the game and has dealt with injuries as well.

The Colts should be fine, cap-wise, next year. They should have more than enough to keep all 3 if they choose to.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

If Moncrief doesn't have a better season than last year even though he was awesome in the redzone I would move on recievers are a dime a dozen Mewhort I would keep Davis needs to have a resurgent season to be resigned if he cant stay healthy this season I would move on.

3 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

If I'm Ballard, I'd even consider re-signing Moncrief and Mewhort this offseason.  Get your young and talented players locked up and keep your nucleus together.  Davis, I'd be more patient.  I'd want to see how he does this year; can he overcome his injuries, can he play more consistently, how valuable is his mentorship to the new and young DBs on the team?

Mewhort certainly.

I think I would want to wait and see how Moncrief and Davis do.

3 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I honestly believe the most important person to resign in that group is Mewhort. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them got an extension before the start of the new year. We could up their pay this upcoming season and save us money in the future. We aren't going to use that all of that 16-18 million anyways. 

Moncrief IMO will be let go UNLESS he produces a season over 1,000 yards 7+ TD's. Ballard has already went after Ashlon Jeffery. He will be a FA again next offseason. If Jeffery has a good season, I wouldn't be surprised if we go hard after him again. 

What I hope is, Mewhort, Moncrief, and Davis all play great and we resign all 3. 

But my guess is one of the 3 will not be here this time next year.

I hope he doesn't go after Jeffery after a good season.  He would cost a lot of money then.  

I don't think Moncrief has to put up 1000 yards.  That is #1 WR numbers in most offenses and we don't need Moncrief to be the #1 guy.  But we do need a solid #2 to take the pressure off Hilton.  If Moncrief can put up like 700 yards or so next year then he's a guy to consider bringing back.  TD's are fluky so I don't think the number of TD's matters as much.  

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Mewhort certainly.

I think I would want to wait and see how Moncrief and Davis do.

I hope he doesn't go after Jeffery after a good season.  He would cost a lot of money then.  

I don't think Moncrief has to put up 1000 yards.  That is #1 WR numbers in most offenses and we don't need Moncrief to be the #1 guy.  But we do need a solid #2 to take the pressure off Hilton.  If Moncrief can put up like 700 yards or so next year then he's a guy to consider bringing back.  TD's are fluky so I don't think the number of TD's matters as much.  

I honestly believe that Moncrief needs to have a season that exceeds what he has done so far. If he doesn't provide actual proof he can be that difference maker type of player then it's time to use that money on other players and move on from ones who have that high potential label but haven't yet realized it yet. I like Moncrief but at some point you have to kill it to keep playing. We know his agent will spin it that he is producing #1 stats and needs big money. Can't give that if he doesn't break out this year. Average stats are not enough. 

Hard telling what Ballard will decide to do regarding the 3 Grigson acquisitions. However, Mewhort & Moncrief are two of Grigson's better draftees, who, also fit the mold of the team that it appears Ballard is attempting to assemble, so it would be nice if they are able to be re-signed...

i think you try to get deals inked for Crief and i would see how Mewhort holds up this season. David on the other hand i don't think you need after this season if its a true Youth rebuild and retool movement. If we can get him on the cheap but i don't see Davis as the type of corner they will want long term. Also would like to see whats the smallest corner on the roster 3yrs from now both in height and weight.