Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who's your starting defense?

GoColtsGo5150

16 hours ago, jseg18 said:

Recent history shows us that our coaching staff will limit injured people in camp. There is a chance Malik has to earn his spot in camp. Our staff may go Geathers and Green in the base package to start camp. If Green dramatically improves, we may not see Hooker early. Id let Hooker heal 110%, whether that's wary in camp, or week 3.

They wont start green js 

DT: McGill      NT: Hankins     DE: Anderson

SOLB: Simon        Mike: Bostic    Will: Spence           Rush: Sheard

CB: Davis                           SS: Geathers              FS: Hooker                CB: Wilson

If Anderson gets his explosion back in his second year back (as is typical), he starts.  Langford is 31 and coming off the first injury of his career.  If everyone is on the same page, Ballard's earlier comments about getting pass rush out of the D-linemen could push McGill in the the starting lineup (as he's flashed some excellent PR ability).  The ILBs will be a heck of a competition, but if Bostic can stay healthy, he's a great option...

10 minutes ago, Archer said:

DT: McGill      NT: Hankins     DE: Anderson

SOLB: Simon        Mike: Bostic    Will: Spence           Rush: Sheard

CB: Davis                           SS: Geathers              FS: Hooker                CB: Wilson

If Anderson gets his explosion back in his second year back (as is typical), he starts.  Langford is 31 and coming off the first injury of his career.  If everyone is on the same page, Ballard's earlier comments about getting pass rush out of the D-linemen could push McGill in the the starting lineup (as he's flashed some excellent PR ability).  The ILBs will be a heck of a competition, but if Bostic can stay healthy, he's a great option...

I think walker could push for pt

On 5/3/2017 at 9:00 AM, AZColt11 said:

Tough to predict until we see them on the field but right now I would say Langford, Hankins, and Anderson up front, Simon, Spence, Jackson, and Sheard in the middle, and Davis, Geathers, Hooker, and Wilson in the back.

Yeah, I agree.

DE: Ridgeway     NT: Hankins     DT: Anderson

SOLB: Simon        Mike: Anthony walker     Will: Spence           Rush: Sheard

CB: Davis                           SS: Geathers              FS: Hooker if healthy by week 1                CB: Wilson  CB

8 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

If Anderson hasn't fully regained his form from his rookie year, I can easily see Ridgeway beating him out for the starting DT spot.  I noticed that we list Anderson, Ridgeway, & McGill all as DT's & only Langford as DE. Could one of them transition over and eventually take the starting DE spot from Langford?  Unless Hunt surprises in some way...?

Was going to mention Anderson's health, plus Langford is getting up there in age as well. We didn't grab younger guys for nothing.

With this bunch, given that Wilson and Hooker develop as hoped, I don't believe who starts is as important as it normally is. There will be so many options for varying packages based on down and distance, that Monachino's brain may get fried. Coach Pagano will need to help. That said, I'm very encouraged about the packages they can put on the field. Quincy Wilson will be key if he can progress to the NFL level. One thing to remember is that with better secondary coverage, more pressure will get to opposing QBs and that should result in additional turnovers. Good stuff! There is potential help in all of Chris Ballard's draftees and now we will see how Coach Pagano manages defensive players. This is your big chance Chuck. Go coach them up. I'm actually looking forward to the preseason for a change.

As far as the ILB go I believe we usually keep about 5 ILB each season.  I think the starters will be guys who can stay on the field all 3 Downs

I could see:

CB

Quincy Wilson

Vontae Davis

DL

Kendall Langford

Jon Hankins

Henry Anderson

ILB

Anthony Walker.  I think they tout his football IQ and leadership because they want him at the Mike Linebacker calling the defenses and lining people up.

Sean Spence    

Backups: Antonio Morrison, Edwin Jackson, Jon Bostic

S

Malik Hooker

Clayton Geathers

Scenario 2

CB

Quincy Wilson

Vontae Davis

DL

Kendall Langford

Jon Hankins

Henry Anderson

ILB

Jon Bostic

Edwin Jackson

Backups   Sean Spence, Anthony Walker, Antonio Morrison

S

Malik Hooker

Clayton Geathers

I still think there is a decent chance Morrison could be let go because you can't use him for all 3 downs. But I left him on the roster for now.

On 5/3/2017 at 3:38 AM, GoColtsGo5150 said:

After the draft, I personally feel like that there is definitely a lot more competition and the potential for a wide range of starting defenses. I was wondering who you would have on the starting defense (with all things being equal right now) I understand a lot of things will change between now and week 1 but I'm interested to see who you would have as your week 1 starting defense. Here's what mine would be in the 3-4 base:

DE: Langford      NT: Hankins     DT: Anderson

SOLB: Simon        Mike: Morrison    Will: Spence           Rush: Sheard

CB: Davis                           SS: Geathers              FS: Butler                CB: Wilson

Then in nickel/sub packages I would have Butler as our Nickel and Hooker as our FS. I would look to rotate our D line and LBs so that people like TY McGill can come in on obvious pass plays and I would even have Geathers could down in the Box and play LB and have Green as a high Safety with Hooker in passing downs. Tbh, I am quite optimistic about our defense making strides this year, based on the competition that we have at some positions. I would like to know who you would have on the starting base defense and what subs you would make :) 

Wait. You don't have Hooker starting?

I still think there is a decent chance Morrison could be let go because you can't use him for all 3 downs. But I left him on the roster for now.

I'm with you. Morrison could easily be cut. He can't move or change  direction vs the run either. He is a liability if the ball isn't coming right at him. 

Those are the guys I see starting as well barring injury Sheard Anderson Hankins Langford Simon and the back end Davis Hooker Geathers Wilson. The first 11 aren't to difficult it's those last couple of spots especially on DL that will be tough. 

ILB is wide open it's possible a starter may not be on the roster yet. I think Spence and Bostic are the plan. They will have to prove it on the field. Ballard was in Chicago when they took Bostic in the 2nd. 

Jackson could have something to say about it. Rhodes may surprise u I liked him coming out of W & M. He had a solid preseason in TB last year He was  a surprise cut according to what I read. Simon and Mingo can play inside.

I love the plan to roll with young guys. We could have 5 or 6 rookies on the field together runnung around hitting people.  Basham Stewart Walker Wilson and Hooker make 5.

I haven't been this anxious to see our D in a long time. 

5 hours ago, akcolt said:

I'm with you. Morrison could easily be cut. He can't move or change  direction vs the run either. He is a liability if the ball isn't coming right at him. 

Those are the guys I see starting as well barring injury Sheard Anderson Hankins Langford Simon and the back end Davis Hooker Geathers Wilson. The first 11 aren't to difficult it's those last couple of spots especially on DL that will be tough. 

ILB is wide open it's possible a starter may not be on the roster yet. I think Spence and Bostic are the plan. They will have to prove it on the field. Ballard was in Chicago when they took Bostic in the 2nd. 

Jackson could have something to say about it. Rhodes may surprise u I liked him coming out of W & M. He had a solid preseason in TB last year He was  a surprise cut according to what I read. Simon and Mingo can play inside.

I love the plan to roll with young guys. We could have 5 or 6 rookies on the field together runnung around hitting people.  Basham Stewart Walker Wilson and Hooker make 5.

I haven't been this anxious to see our D in a long time. 

I think eventually they want Walker at the Mike and Spence at the Will. E. Jackson will have some say in that competition. Even if Jackson doesnt win he still makes a nice backup I think. As far as Morrison is concerned I think he and Bostic are the same guy. Only Bostic is faster. We will see what happens. If Morrisons instincts and reaction times get a little faster this year I could see him sticking around also. Every team in our division wants to play old school power football with their running game so there may still be some room for the guy.

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 6:38 AM, GoColtsGo5150 said:

After the draft, I personally feel like that there is definitely a lot more competition and the potential for a wide range of starting defenses. I was wondering who you would have on the starting defense (with all things being equal right now) I understand a lot of things will change between now and week 1 but I'm interested to see who you would have as your week 1 starting defense. Here's what mine would be in the 3-4 base:

CB: Davis                           SS: Geathers              FS: Butler                CB: Wilson

Then in nickel/sub packages I would have Butler as our Nickel and Hooker as our FS. I would look to rotate our D line and LBs so that people like TY McGill can come in on obvious pass plays and I would even have Geathers could down in the Box and play LB and have Green as a high Safety with Hooker in passing downs. Tbh, I am quite optimistic about our defense making strides this year, based on the competition that we have at some positions. I would like to know who you would have on the starting base defense and what subs you would make :) 

There is no way we picked up Hooker in the first round to sit on the bench.

On Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 6:38 AM, GoColtsGo5150 said:

Any 11 guys who wouldn't blow the lead in 30 seconds after Andrew just drove down the field for the win (Detroit game)

That's what my defense would be 

Let me shake up the thinking for a moment, someone has to be the wildcard in this thread.....

DE: Henry Anderson

NT: Jon Hankins

DE: Kendall Langford

OLB: Basham

ILB1: Spence

ILB2: Simon

OLB: Sheard

CB1: Vontae

CB2: Quincy Wilson

Nickel: Butler

FS: Hooker

SS: Geathers

On 5/4/2017 at 8:39 AM, Defjamz26 said:

My prediction is that none of the Grigson LBs start. I think it comes down to Bostic, Spence, and Walker. And Morrison will probably be the backup while Jackson is cut. I see that situation happening for most of the positions. Hunt probably starts at DE over Langford.

Hunt isn't starting over anyone.

On May 4, 2017 at 8:39 AM, Defjamz26 said:

My prediction is that none of the Grigson LBs start. I think it comes down to Bostic, Spence, and Walker. And Morrison will probably be the backup while Jackson is cut. I see that situation happening for most of the positions. Hunt probably starts at DE over Langford.

I still think Jackson is our best ILB. He more than out played Morrison last year. As a matter of fact as bad as the defense was last season Jackson was one of the minimal bright spots on defense. 

And if Langford is healthy there's no way Hunt is starting over him. 

DE Kendall Langford

NT Johnathan Hankins

DE Henry Anderson

OLB Jabaal Sheard

ILB Sean Spence

ILB Anthony Walker (At least by week 5ish) (Kid's got a lot of talent)

OLB John Simon - Tarell Basham gets a lot of snaps for both Simon and Sheard, and probably ends up starting.

CB Vontae Davis

SS Clayton Geathers

FS Malik Hooker

CB Quincy Wilson

Nickel Darius Butler

Sean Spence is gonna surprise the league this year and have a monster year. He'll fill up the stat sheet, and just be an all around beast. Wouldn't even surprise me if he makes the pro bowl. The kids got big time talent and now he's the guy. He's criminally underrated. I think he breaks out this year and becomes a household name. I mean I'm expecting a monster year, and with big Hank keeping him and whoever the other ILB is clean. Spence's stat line could resemble something like this.... 130 total tackles, 4.5sacks, 4FF's, 8PD's, 3INT's, 7STF's. Then I expect big rookie years from Hooker, Wilson, and Basham. With a superstar ILB, and maybe just another monster OLB our D is set.

On 5/7/2017 at 8:47 AM, crunked said:

Let me shake up the thinking for a moment, someone has to be the wildcard in this thread.....

DE: Henry Anderson

NT: Jon Hankins

DE: Kendall Langford

OLB: Basham

ILB1: Spence

ILB2: Simon

OLB: Sheard

CB1: Vontae

CB2: Quincy Wilson

Nickel: Butler

FS: Hooker

SS: Geathers

You could get this look (Simon being your innovation) in a nickel rush sub package (particularly one of those Rex Ryan everyone standing special looks) - and it could be effective.  Simon is known as an solid interior rusher from off the ball.  But...let's not confuse that with the role he was brought here to play.  

For this year at least...Simon is your stating SAM.

3-4                  4-3

De-anderson        Re-sheard 

Nt-Al woods         Le-simon

Dt-hankins            dt-anderson

Rolb-simon           nt-hankins

Mlb-jackson.        Will-geathers

Ilb- Spence           mike-spence

Lolb-sheard          sam-jackon

Lcb- wilson.          Ncb-butler

Rcb - vonte           rcb- vonte

Ncb- Butler           lcb- wilson

Fs -hooker            fs- hooker