Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who's your starting defense?

GoColtsGo5150

After the draft, I personally feel like that there is definitely a lot more competition and the potential for a wide range of starting defenses. I was wondering who you would have on the starting defense (with all things being equal right now) I understand a lot of things will change between now and week 1 but I'm interested to see who you would have as your week 1 starting defense. Here's what mine would be in the 3-4 base:

DE: Langford      NT: Hankins     DT: Anderson

SOLB: Simon        Mike: Morrison    Will: Spence           Rush: Sheard

CB: Davis                           SS: Geathers              FS: Butler                CB: Wilson

Then in nickel/sub packages I would have Butler as our Nickel and Hooker as our FS. I would look to rotate our D line and LBs so that people like TY McGill can come in on obvious pass plays and I would even have Geathers could down in the Box and play LB and have Green as a high Safety with Hooker in passing downs. Tbh, I am quite optimistic about our defense making strides this year, based on the competition that we have at some positions. I would like to know who you would have on the starting base defense and what subs you would make :) 

SOLB: Simon        Mike: Morrison    Will: Walker/Spence      Rush: Sheard

CB: Wilson                              SS: Geathers              FS: Hooker                         CB: Davis

1 hour ago, UKColt13 said:

CB: Wilson                              SS: Geathers              FS: Hooker                         CB: Davis

I think that's it, except that the competition for the Will/Mike is still open.  Bostic and Spence should start assuming both are healthy.

I think only two of Morrison/Jaskson/Walker make the team.  Hairtson should be the nickel.

What's it look like when we go to the 4-2-5, which is more than half of the time?

Tough to predict until we see them on the field but right now I would say Langford, Hankins, and Anderson up front, Simon, Spence, Jackson, and Sheard in the middle, and Davis, Geathers, Hooker, and Wilson in the back.

SAM: Simon        MIKE: Walker Jr.    WILL: Jackson       EDGE: Sheard

Slot: Butler

Basham to be rotating regularly with Sheard.

Ridgeway to play on 3rd downs.

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Jackson has a better chance to start then Morrison imo

Yeah. I fully expect Jackson to start over Morrison. Morrison is too slow. I wouldn't be surprised to see Walker deep into the rotation by our bye week either. 

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

What's it look like when we go to the 4-2-5, which is more than half of the time?

That's where it will get fun.  If the base 3-4 run-stopping D does its job at the beginning of the game, it won't even be playing in the 2nd half.  Hopefully, teams are passing and playing catch-up in the 2nd half so we can just play nickel.

We need 4 rushers on the DLine, so maybe a combo of Anderson/Langford/Ridgeway play the 2 inside DLinemen, while a combo of Simon/Sheard/Basham play the 2 edge rushers.  There's a lot of pass rushers that will need to rotate in and out on passing downs to stay fresh.

Then have Geathers and Green come down to play LB and cover RBs and TEs.

Hooker and Butler playing deep safety, with Davis Wilson and Hairston playing press man.

That's a solid pass defense. :thmup:

5 hours ago, GoColtsGo5150 said:

After the draft, I personally feel like that there is definitely a lot more competition and the potential for a wide range of starting defenses. I was wondering who you would have on the starting defense (with all things being equal right now) I understand a lot of things will change between now and week 1 but I'm interested to see who you would have as your week 1 starting defense. Here's what mine would be in the 3-4 base:

CB: Davis                           SS: Geathers              FS: Butler                CB: Wilson

Then in nickel/sub packages I would have Butler as our Nickel and Hooker as our FS. I would look to rotate our D line and LBs so that people like TY McGill can come in on obvious pass plays and I would even have Geathers could down in the Box and play LB and have Green as a high Safety with Hooker in passing downs. Tbh, I am quite optimistic about our defense making strides this year, based on the competition that we have at some positions. I would like to know who you would have on the starting base defense and what subs you would make :) 

Everything you have except walker at the mike

I'm looking for Pound Cake to make a leap in performance this year, and I think he starts at one of the LB spots. Spence will probably be the other one. Bostic will be fighting for a roster spot so I'd hardly pencil him in. Morrison might improve but I only see him as a two-down LB at best. From what I gather, the rookie plays a similar style to Morrison so he's not a lock either. 

Also, TY McGill should start and play a lot. The dude is a solid lineman. Langford and Ridgeway should spell the two starters. 

I'm primarily interested in two things. 1) How the secondary plays out--there is a nice combo of youth, experience, speed, ball hawking, and physicality. 2) How the front 7 generates a pass rush--there isn't a stud pass rusher. At any rate, the D looks much better on paper now than it did before the start of FA. 

I am not sure exactly who is all going to start but I can't wait to see Geathers and Hooker together.  I really hope they stay healthy and play well together, same with Vontae and Wilson.  I am more excited about the defense in general.  I think the Colts have upgraded.  My only concern is the pass rush.  I hope it ends up being decent.

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I think that's it, except that the competition for the Will/Mike is still open.  Bostic and Spence should start assuming both are healthy.

I think only two of Morrison/Jaskson/Walker make the team.  Hairtson should be the nickel.

Geathers in as the WILL and either Butler or Green taking his place I'd have though. 

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Check back at the end of pre season.

I agree!  There will be a lot of competition at several positions.  I can only see Hankins (NT while also playing some DT), Langford if healthy (DE), Sheard (RUSH), Simon (SAM), Vontae (CB) and Geathers (SS) as probable starters.

7 hours ago, GoColtsGo5150 said:

I like most of your starting lineup except I think Hooker takes the FS job right away and they keep using Butler in the slot.

When they talked about moving Butler to FS I don't think they where expecting to get Hooker in round 1.  Barring injury I expect he'll capture the FS job right away and it would make sense to move Butler back into the slot.  

I might also consider Edwin Jackson in place of Morrison.  

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I like most of your starting lineup except I think Hooker takes the FS job right away and they keep using Butler in the slot.

When they talked about moving Butler to FS I don't think they where expecting to get Hooker in round 1.  Barring injury I expect he'll capture the FS job right away and it would make sense to move Butler back into the slot.  

I might also consider Edwin Jackson in place of Morrison.  

Agreed, and I know they hope that Hairston grows into the slot guy for the future.

Also, Bostic (if healthy) should start.  I wonder if the people who are thinking Walker could start have ever seen him play?  He has a long way to go to even get on the field playing D. He's a super bright guy and he may pick it up fast but he's extremely raw.  Please watch some tape.

8 hours ago, GoColtsGo5150 said:

You said butler over Hooker your tripping at FS when butler only played 1 time as a FS but always got burned but hooker in 1 season has 7 picks um ok

Random question not exactly related to the thread but, when do they release the initial depth chart?  I thought it was like the week before the first PS game, but just can't remember.

PS - Hooker starts in all packages.  You don't put first rounders in sub packages usually unless its a demotion.

DE: Henry Anderson

NT: Jon Hankins

DE: Kendall Langford

OLB: Simon

ILB1: Spence

ILB2: Edwin Jackson? most interesting position battle to me

OLB: Sheard

CB1: Vontae

CB2: Quincy Wilson

Nickel: Butler/Hairston

FS: Hooker

SS: Geathers

I should say that I expect some significant growing pains for the young secondary members who are getting so much playing time, but it's better than veterans sucking.

13 minutes ago, Nobody said:

DE: Henry Anderson

NT: Jon Hankins

DE: Kendall Langford

OLB: Simon

ILB1: Spence

ILB2: Edwin Jackson? most interesting position battle to me

OLB: Sheard

CB1: Vontae

CB2: Quincy Wilson

Nickel: Butler/Hairston

FS: Hooker

SS: Geathers

I should say that I expect some significant growing pains for the young secondary members who are getting so much playing time, but it's better than veterans sucking.

This is how I see it.

And welcome back man. Long time no see.

Recent history shows us that our coaching staff will limit injured people in camp. There is a chance Malik has to earn his spot in camp. Our staff may go Geathers and Green in the base package to start camp. If Green dramatically improves, we may not see Hooker early. Id let Hooker heal 110%, whether that's wary in camp, or week 3.

I think Hairston will see some playing time in the nickel spot faster than we think.  I don't think he's as far behind the curve as some people project.  I'm sure he'll start off with special teams and progress as the season moves along.

10 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

De- langford Dt - anderson Nt- hankins 

Will - bostic/Spence , Mike - simon

Rolb - sheard,  lolb - Ayers 

Fs - hooker  ss - clayton

Lcb - Wilson , rcb - vonte 

Ncb - Butler 

If Anderson hasn't fully regained his form from his rookie year, I can easily see Ridgeway beating him out for the starting DT spot.  I noticed that we list Anderson, Ridgeway, & McGill all as DT's & only Langford as DE. Could one of them transition over and eventually take the starting DE spot from Langford?  Unless Hunt surprises in some way...?

I'm looking at this provided everyone is healthy. The ILB position is wide open. Bostic could surprise or get cut. I think Rhodes might have some game. He was a surprise cut in TB. I liked his coverage and ST's play coming out of William & Mary. We could end up with a starter inside who's not on the roster. 

Anderson Hankins Langford

Sheard Spence Jackson Simon

Davis Hooker Geathers Wilson 

19 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

The two ILB are really impossible to predict right now. Hopefully this part will be vastly improved, which probably means I wont want Morrison to start, LOL.

My prediction is that none of the Grigson LBs start. I think it comes down to Bostic, Spence, and Walker. And Morrison will probably be the backup while Jackson is cut. I see that situation happening for most of the positions. Hunt probably starts at DE over Langford.