Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One Veteran FA I'd like the Colts to Sign.....

.... is CB, Jason McCourty.

Two reasons......   one,  Vonte is often nicked up and playing below 100%.     Two,  Wilson is a rookie....    what if he struggles his rookie year?

One or both of those things are likely to happen during the course of the '17 season and cornerback is not a position where you want to be caught short.

So, sign the guy to one of those Superman specials....   he's 30 this year....   give him a two year deal,  but with a mutual option on the 2nd year so he can opt out.    Ideally,  you want McCourty to opt out, or have the Colts opt out of the 2nd year.       But you want that first year to entice him.

He was cut off a deal that was to pay him $7 Mill this year.

How about a $3 Mill signing bonus and a salary of $5 so he's got $8 million this year.....   and $4 mill for 2018, which you expect one side or the other is going to decline.

I'm just interested in 2017.......    and only having 2 really good corners is one man short....

Food for thought......        Discuss.....

That's an interesting suggestion and one that CB might be thinking about along with a few others. I remember him saying at a post draft discussion with reporters that they are always looking for talent and players that are cut from other teams would be the next logical place to try and find players.  That could be now or at final cuts so he is probably going to be patient and sit tight and see what develops.  Of course that could change tomorrow. 

There isn't much left on the market, so McCourty might be a good option even if he is a little slow. D-But can play some corner, too, since Hooker and Geathers will likely start. Tramaine Brock is also still on the market, even if he isn't a great corner rn

I don't under why some fans would rather save a few million $$$ than add talent.

Can you imagine this season a colt fan watch the game at a sports bar. The colts secondary is nicked up.Melvin and another scrub are our starting corners because we wouldn't spend the $$$ to sign McCourty. Our secondary is getting lit up, like 28 points before the half. Some rowdy fans of our opponent are rubbing the score and effort of our pass defense in to our colt fan.

Our colt fan frustratingly responds "yeah BUT WE HAVE MORE CAP SPACE THAN YOU DO". Lol.

1 hour ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Austin Pasztor is still on the market right? That one would actually make sense. Id rather put Quincy out there and get baptized by fire than sign McCourty.

I think he was signed by Buffalo....     I thought I read that here this week...

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

I rather let wilson play. McCourty isnt even that good

I'd rather let Wilson play too.      But being short a cornerback at the start of the season is not good...

Vonte could get hurt....   Wilson might struggle....     then what?

It's a long season and stuff happens....      if you don't like the price --- fine.    But find a way to sign him...

The alternative is to wait for the cut down dates and try and snag a late cast-off....       

That might be cheaper,   I just don't know if it will be better....

Remember,   we're still trying to win the AFC South....

Wilson is going to start whether we're worried about it or not. It's happening.

McCourty will not want to come here to be the 3rd or 4th corner and his play the last two year took a severe downturn. I'd only consider if we had injuries and were forced to bring corners in like last year.

He'll probably be on another team by then. Butler will probably play slot corner and we still have Melvin, who I thought would be overrated by this forum, but after what I've read it has been the opposite.

I got him mixed up with his brother Devin who plays for the Patriots for a second. Man, I got all excited & depressed in under 30 seconds flat. 

I agree with Jared $8,000,000 is a ton of money to throw at an unproven CB. I respect you NCF, but I must respectfully decline your hypothetical proposal. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm just interested in 2017.......    and only having 2 really good corners is one man short....

If we were talking Ed Reed in his heyday or even Charles Woodson after he won a SB ring with GB, sure I could live with a hefty 1 yr mercenary price tag in our secondary. But not Jason McCourtney sorry. No can do buddy. 

9 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

If we were talking Ed Reed in his heyday or even Charles Woodson after he won a SB ring with GB, sure I could live with a hefty 1 yr mercenary price tag in our secondary. But not Jason McCourtney sorry. No can do buddy. 

If we were talking about Ed Reed in his heyday,  or Charles Woodson after he won a SB ring.......   neither would be available......

It's easy to say "Oh, look!   A great player!    Let's sign him!"       My mother can do that and she's been gone for nearly 30 years.   

I'm talking about the best of the rest....   the best of the leftovers....    if the price is too high for you -- fine.    But you gotta pay him something.     And your offer has to be better than what the other teams are offering him....

9 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Austin Pasztor is still on the market right? That one would actually make sense. Id rather put Quincy out there and get baptized by fire than sign McCourty.

Pasztor would make more sense but it really looks like they are happy with our current group. 

7 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I don't under why some fans would rather save a few million $$$ than add talent.

Can you imagine this season a colt fan watch the game at a sports bar. The colts secondary is nicked up.Melvin and another scrub are our starting corners because we wouldn't spend the $$$ to sign McCourty. Our secondary is getting lit up, like 28 points before the half. Some rowdy fans of our opponent are rubbing the score and effort of our pass defense in to our colt fan.

Our colt fan frustratingly responds "yeah BUT WE HAVE MORE CAP SPACE THAN YOU DO". Lol.

And what's so great about Mcourty?

No, not at this time and our current situation.  Right now, we are rebuilding.  We need to learn from the last regime that rushing a rebuild isn't the best thing to do.  Right now, we will be competitive and have the potential to be a surprise team.  No need to disrupt the development of our rookies and young guns by signing costly vets.  If someone goes down, then its time for the competition to breed the next man up.

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Two reasons......   one,  Vonte is often nicked up and playing below 100%.     Two,  Wilson is a rookie....    what if he struggles his rookie year?

One or both of those things are likely to happen during the course of the '17 season and cornerback is not a position where you want to be caught short.

So, sign the guy to one of those Superman specials....   he's 30 this year....   give him a two year deal,  but with a mutual option on the 2nd year so he can opt out.    Ideally,  you want McCourty to opt out, or have the Colts opt out of the 2nd year.       But you want that first year to entice him.

How about a $3 Mill signing bonus and a salary of $5 so he's got $8 million this year.....   and $4 mill for 2018, which you expect one side or the other is going to decline.

Um wilson is starting right away and jason gets burned all the time

10 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

melvin played amazing at nickle when butler was hurt

27 minutes ago, Indy1996 said:

melvin played amazing at nickle when butler was hurt

Easy tiger. Melvin did not play amazing. But for being an UDFA, he played better than you could have asked for. Obviously the coaches see potential with him. But Wilson will be the starter, and Butler will eventually go back to nickel corner or ride the bench IMO. 

11 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Easy tiger. Melvin did not play amazing. But for being an UDFA, he played better than you could have asked for. Obviously the coaches see potential with him. But Wilson will be the starter, and Butler will eventually go back to nickel corner or ride the bench IMO. 

Ik that melvin can start a nickle corner js unless butler takes that

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Butler will probably see a whole lot more corner than he will safety. There's also a good possibility that Green also gets some looks at nickel corner in certain situations as well. I don't think the corner situation is in too bad of shape. Sure, some guys are going to have to learn quickly, but they are going to need all of the experience they can get anyways. I'm not big on McCourty anyways as he's more of a zone corner. 

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If we were talking about Ed Reed in his heyday,  or Charles Woodson after he won a SB ring.......   neither would be available......

It's easy to say "Oh, look!   A great player!    Let's sign him!"       My mother can do that and she's been gone for nearly 30 years.   

I'm talking about the best of the rest....   the best of the leftovers....    if the price is too high for you -- fine.    But you gotta pay him something.     And your offer has to be better than what the other teams are offering him....

If Jason McCourty is the best player available keep on looking NCF. My Grandpa Vern who has been deceased for 30 yrs can do that too. 

Mocking a person isn't much of a counter argument. Come on NCF. You're better than this & smarter too. It doesn't add credibility to your point of view at all. 

13 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I hope you don't think Jason McCourty is the kind of player that would change our defense. He's been part of lit up secondaries for a couple years now. 

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think that price is far too high. The Titans didn't cut him because they couldn't afford to keep him, they cut him because he was being overpaid for how well he's played lately.

And if I had to guess, I'd say he hasn't received any considerable offers. This was a deep DB draft. I think maybe his phone rings over the next couple weeks, or maybe right before camp, and whenever he does sign, I expect it to be a low value, one year contract. 

I have no problem with adding McCourty on a reasonable one year deal, but I'm not dying to have him. 

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

I hope you don't think Jason McCourty is the kind of player that would change our defense. He's been part of lit up secondaries for a couple years now. 

Actually it was meant for any potential FA signing. The thread was about him.

3 hours ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

Only if the price is right. I would like Barnridge. 

I think there will be a couple players that we will pick up on final cuts. Just curious on who our final cuts will be also. The 53 man roster will be a few surprises obviously. 

Wouldn't mind that if we got him for a decent price but honestly he probably has better options out there.  

To me, this is the kind of add you make if one or both of those things materialize - as it pertains to Wilson, he has to play substantially worse than anticipated such that he sees time in certain sub packages.  Of course McCourtey could be gone in a pinch, but I'd rather take my chances.  We also drafted Nate Hairston and we could be pleasantly surprised with his play on the field.  We'll see.

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'd rather let Wilson play too.      But being short a cornerback at the start of the season is not good...

Vonte could get hurt....   Wilson might struggle....     then what?

It's a long season and stuff happens....      if you don't like the price --- fine.    But find a way to sign him...

The alternative is to wait for the cut down dates and try and snag a late cast-off....       

That might be cheaper,   I just don't know if it will be better....

Remember,   we're still trying to win the AFC South....

we dont know how any of our draft picks will work out, imo have a plan b

I sort of expect a low-cost, aging CB option to be signed before TC.  What with Wilson being the putative #2, #3 & #4 being a battle between Michel & Melvin, Hairston being designated for ST duty this year, and Vontae always being an injury risk...another veteran presence could possibly save a game or two...

Hey, if you are talking just situational play, I'd say bring in Dwight Freeney or even Erik Walden for obvious pass rush situations and nothing more for a cheap 1-yr deal. I'd have to say guys like Freeney and Walden are just waiting for the next injury to happen to play for depth on a contending team somewhere, might as well be here.

8 hours ago, Superman said:

I think that price is far too high. The Titans didn't cut him because they couldn't afford to keep him, they cut him because he was being overpaid for how well he's played lately.

And if I had to guess, I'd say he hasn't received any considerable offers. This was a deep DB draft. I think maybe his phone rings over the next couple weeks, or maybe right before camp, and whenever he does sign, I expect it to be a low value, one year contract. 

I have no problem with adding McCourty on a reasonable one year deal, but I'm not dying to have him. 

I'm not dying to have him either.....    and if Ballard thinks he can steal someone on the cutdown to 75 or to 53, then great.     I'm OK with that too.      But then it's getting down to the wire and the competition for this guy or that guy might be much different than signing an OK guy now....

If my money is wrong,  OK....      but as I noted,  the odds of getting through the schedule with Davis and Wilson both playing 16 games is likely not great....     I'd like to have someone solid and not just move Donnie Butler over for a few weeks,  that would worry me greatly.     Remember how poor things were against Detroit last year in week one....