Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you think the pass rush will be better this coming season?

RockThatBlue

1 hour ago, Vinatieri4 said:

I see what you are saying, but last season he got 0 sacks. Yes he was injured, but the NFL is a "what have you done for me now" type of league. For example: Peyton Manning went from 55 touchdowns, to 39 touchdowns to 9 touchdowns in 3 seasons. Arguably the greatest QB of all time, and has taken limited punishment. 

Langford is a defensive lineman, who literally has contact every single play he is on the field. Which makes you ask this question:  Is a player of his caliber (never GREAT but solid his career) worth keeping on the roster when you could clear up some cap, and also get young guys some more playing time. I think the smart thing to do is trade him for a 6th or 7th, or just cut him.

As for veteran talent, offensively we have: Luck, TY, Costanzo, Gore, and Doyle at each position group to help be a veteran presence. 

Defensively: Vonate Davis, Jabaal Sheared, and I would expect Henry Anderson to become more of a leader this season as well. 

So if you get hurt and they know you're hurt that equals cut after one season?  Henry Anderson didn't do squat last year either. What have you done for me lately?   If this was about what have you done for me lately with the staff then they would have gotten rid of him along with all the other aging vets they let go.  The Peyton Manning analogy doesn't fit because he had a serious neck injury. Langford had some stuff cleaned out of his knee.  It wasn't even a high level injury.    It's not wise to cut all of your veteran leadership. 

And what young guy will we be replacing him with.  Grover Stewart? Mcgill and Ridgeway are more 3 Technique than 5 Tech.   I don't see it.  If Kendall is healthy he'll be on the roster.  If you haven't noticed they've pretty much made sure they have 1 veteran on every level of the defense. Kendall on the D Line, Bostic in the LB corps, Vontae in the CB corps, and Butler in the S corps.  I don't think they want a complete group of newbies.

7 hours ago, our_dbs_rock said:

I think will all depend on if the lbs can cover tight ends and running backs.

It seemed like they consistently gave up 10-15 yard plays in the middle of the field last year on short passes.

I think Hooker was a great pickup in that department 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

So if you get hurt and they know you're hurt that equals cut after one season?  Henry Anderson didn't do squat last year either. What have you done for me lately?   If this was about what have you done for me lately with the staff then they would have gotten rid of him along with all the other aging vets they let go.  The Peyton Manning analogy doesn't fit because he had a serious neck injury. Langford had some stuff cleaned out of his knee.  It wasn't even a high level injury.    It's not wise to cut all of your veteran leadership. 

And what young guy will we be replacing him with.  Grover Stewart? Mcgill and Ridgeway are more 3 Technique than 5 Tech.   I don't see it.  If Kendall is healthy he'll be on the roster.  If you haven't noticed they've pretty much made sure they have 1 veteran on every level of the defense. Kendall on the D Line, Bostic in the LB corps, Vontae in the CB corps, and Butler in the S corps.  I don't think they want a complete group of newbies.

Your comparison of cutting Anderson isn't valid.  Anderson is young and has potential and is still on the up rise. Langford is getting older, and did have an injury which only can expedite his "aging process as a player"

I would say Ridgeway, Anderson, and Hankins should be the starting defensive line.  I'm not opposed to Kendall being on the team by any means, but I just think we will see a significant drop in his play this season, so maybe it's best to rip the band-aid before that happens. 

I'm optimistic.  But I'm knocking on wood because we need everyone to stay healthy and create a good rotation so everyone can stay fresh, and avoid injury.

One or two injuries, and our pass rush might be as bad, or worse than last year. :hide:

But even if we can't get to the QB before he throws it, hopefully the back-end of the D will be better than last year when the ball is in the air.  An extra interception or two can decide a game. :clover: