Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Great draft

Arodgers12

it's extremely popular amongst Colts fans. 1st and 2nd round steals in the secondary will do that for a defense hungry team. Banner is a project and probably the least popular pick, where as Marlon Mack in the 4th gets probably as much love as Hooker in the 1st. Very good draft overall.

55 minutes ago, Arodgers12 said:

You guys are a great team. I think you have a shot at the Super Bowl with a great defense.

Yeah I don't know about the 2nd part, not this year anyway, but I would agree the draft went very well overall.  One more draft like this and perhaps the Colts could make that happen in '18/'19?

5 hours ago, Arodgers12 said:

I seen you guys really addressed your defense. I like the O line pickup too. What do you guys think of your draft and how would you grade it?

I'd like to ask you a question. 

Going into this off season, did you or your fellow packer fans have much resentment. on management for not adding much talent arond Rogers? Do you think management is wasting Rogers prime years and is almost a one man show?

Good draft last weekend. It took a lot of hard work for this draft class to get here. But it's going to take alot of hard work for them to stay here. There are quite a few vets here trying to keep what they have. Quite a few undrafted Free Agents looking for an open spot

5 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I think I would have rather had Foster or Allen in the 1st.. but overall it was a great draft by Ballard. Anthony Walker JR in the 5th was awesome. 

I felt that way at first and then thought about Ed Reed.  That Raven defense basically won a SB with that defense alone and Reed and Lewis were its 2 best players.  Our FO thinks Hooker is a once in a generation kind of player like Reed.  Surround him with a talented defense and he could help make us dominant.  He should be able to give Belichik and Big Ben fits.  He is our ace in the hole.  

12 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I think I would have rather had Foster or Allen in the 1st.. but overall it was a great draft by Ballard. Anthony Walker JR in the 5th was awesome. 

I'm not sure about Foster. The off the field stuff, starting his career in the substance abuse program and the rumor that the shoulder needs another surgery. I understand passing on him especially for Hooker who'd projected top 10. 

I'm really happy with the draft don't get me wrong. I think we could have had a project T in the 5th I thought we might have been the ones moving up after 114 Johnson and Lawson were still there. Both of those guys have early day 2 talent.

We miss Gedeon(120) who I thought was a real steal. He had good tape, numbers, did well at the Sr Bowl then lit up the combine.  

We drop back and H. Wilson comes off the board. That kid could have been a 1st rounder if he went back to school. He has what it takes loose hips sweet feet great ball skills and can tackle. Then Wise Reeves-Maybin I feel like I'm forgetting someone you get the picture. 

We could have had Wilson and Wilson locking down the outside. A plug and play G. Another Edge with pass rush upside. It feels like we passed on a lot of potential for a project RT.

I don't follow the thinking with that move. Was he the BPA on our board? T isn't really a position of need Castonzo Clark Haeg and we brought in SF's 5th rounder from last year Cooper. 

Thankfully things got back on track quickly with Stewart and Mack to end the round. That was the only what? Pick In the draft for me. It felt like last year when we dropped back had our choice of RB's Robinson CB among others were there and we take a guy projected to go at the end of day 3. Hopefully Banner figures it out typically bigs fellas with  weight problems aren't a great investment 

5 hours ago, akcolt said:

I'm not sure about Foster. The off the field stuff, starting his career in the substance abuse program and the rumor that the shoulder needs another surgery. I understand passing on him especially for Hooker who'd projected top 10. 

I'm really happy with the draft don't get me wrong. I think we could have had a project T in the 5th I thought we might have been the ones moving up after 114 Johnson and Lawson were still there. Both of those guys have early day 2 talent.

We miss Gedeon(120) who I thought was a real steal. He had good tape, numbers, did well at the Sr Bowl then lit up the combine.  

We drop back and H. Wilson comes off the board. That kid could have been a 1st rounder if he went back to school. He has what it takes loose hips sweet feet great ball skills and can tackle. Then Wise Reeves-Maybin I feel like I'm forgetting someone you get the picture. 

We could have had Wilson and Wilson locking down the outside. A plug and play G. Another Edge with pass rush upside. It feels like we passed on a lot of potential for a project RT.

I don't follow the thinking with that move. Was he the BPA on our board? T isn't really a position of need Castonzo Clark Haeg and we brought in SF's 5th rounder from last year Cooper. 

Thankfully things got back on track quickly with Stewart and Mack to end the round. That was the only what? Pick In the draft for me. It felt like last year when we dropped back had our choice of RB's Robinson CB among others were there and we take a guy projected to go at the end of day 3. Hopefully Banner figures it out typically bigs fellas with  weight problems aren't a great investment 

I agree with you on Howard Wilson. I would have given up a 5th round pick not to have dropped back in the 4th. Probably would have lost out on Hairston. Banner too.

On 5/3/2017 at 9:10 AM, akcolt said:

We missed on quite a few good linebackers. What sucks is the Texans got two of them..

On 5/3/2017 at 7:10 AM, akcolt said:

My buddy who's a huge Chiefs fan told me before the draft that Ballard would likely take a couple of "meat & potatoes" type of guys that would leave fans scratching their heads a little. The philosophy in KC under Dorsey was that you can never have too much depth along the trenches, so I think we should all get used to seeing this practice under Ballard in future drafts as well. It's not the most "sexy" approach, but it's tough to argue with the results they've had in KC.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 11:25 PM, LJpalmbeacher said:

I'd like to ask you a question. 

Going into this off season, did you or your fellow packer fans have much resentment. on management for not adding much talent arond Rogers? Do you think management is wasting Rogers prime years and is almost a one man show?

Right now we need all the help we can get on defense. Our offense I think is good enough as it is. We got Ty Montgomery at running back and great receivers in Jordy Nelson, Cobb and Adams. We also drafted Deangelo Yancey a WR from Purdue. I think we will be fine. Our offense really caught fire the second half of the season. First half we didn't have it for whatever reason.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:32 PM, Boiler_Colt said:

I think its very hard for any Colts fans to complain about our draft on paper. I liked your guys' draft too. You picked up Deangelo Yancey from my alma matter. I hope he does well for you all.

I hope so. You see how brutal our schedule is this year though. We have road games in Dallas, Atlanta, Pittsburgh and Carolina. Home games vs Seattle, Cincy and New Orleans. That is brutal. We always lose one game a year too that were supposed to win.

1 hour ago, Arodgers12 said:

Right now we need all the help we can get on defense. Our offense I think is good enough as it is. We got Ty Montgomery at running back and great receivers in Jordy Nelson, Cobb and Adams. We also drafted Deangelo Yancey a WR from Purdue. I think we will be fine. Our offense really caught fire the second half of the season. First half we didn't have it for whatever reason.

I think Rodgers is the Best QB that we will see in a while. I think if management surrounded him with better talent the Packers would have and would get multiple super bowls.

Of course Kraft and patriot nation wouldn't like that. Lol.

Hoping your secondary & running game improves.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I think Rodgers is the Best QB that we will see in a while. I think if management surrounded him with better talent the Packers would have and would get multiple super bowls.

Of course Kraft and patriot nation wouldn't like that. Lol.

Hoping your secondary & running game improves.

I think we would have had we didn't get conservative with a 2 touchdown lead against Seattle in the NFC championship game. We beat New England in Lambeau that year 26-21. I think we could have again if we played them again in the Super Bowl.

On 5/3/2017 at 9:10 AM, akcolt said:

Interesting. Gedeon was one of two players that Vikings fans were not pleased with. We thought he was a reach. I like him but my fellow Vikings fans were disappointed. We would have preferred Desmond King or Jake Butt at that spot.

The Colts had a very strong draft. The first 3 are top players. I believe the Vikings were interested in drafting Basham. We met with him in January. I believe that if he had still been there at #86, we would not have traded back (down) and would have selected him.

Hope all the players work out for our respective teams.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I gave it an A- = Hooker, Wilson, Basham, and Mack are all great picks IMO, I gave Free Agency a B as the Hankins pickup was solid (he's huge and young), Simon and Sheard are good pickups as well and are young.

Not to mention that just about all of the FA are on cap friendly contracts.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Not to mention that just about all of the FA are on cap friendly contracts.

After what the Colts went through at the end of Polian and son, somehow I don't think Irsay would sign off on an unreasonable price for a free agent signing.

Maybe it's me over thinking but from the start of Grigson till this year the Colts have been very careful with their cap.

22 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

After what the Colts went through at the end of Polian and son, somehow I don't think Irsay would sign off on an unreasonable price for a free agent signing.

Maybe it's me over thinking but from the start of Grigson till this year the Colts have been very careful with their cap.

Agree, even Hankins was signed after the dust settled, so that they could pay fair market value in terms of a 3 year period as opposed to overpaying a marquee DT in excess of $12 mil. a year like some of them were wanting (Poe, Hankins included).

On 5/4/2017 at 8:50 PM, Arodgers12 said:

I think we would have had we didn't get conservative with a 2 touchdown lead against Seattle in the NFC championship game. We beat New England in Lambeau that year 26-21. I think we could have again if we played them again in the Super Bowl.

Yes, you would have, I have no doubts about it. Belichick, since 2005, when he plays a team a second time, has been on the wrong end of the victory column. That is why I wanted the Packers to go to the SB but once the Seahawks did, I had a bad feeling the Patriots would win. Still, the Seahawks could have punched it in but Marshawn Lynch, contrary to what people think, has not been that great in short yardage goal line situations, I read, against jumbo packages which the Patriots had on the field.

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yes, you would have, I have no doubts about it. Belichick, since 2005, when he plays a team a second time, has been on the wrong end of the victory column. That is why I wanted the Packers to go to the SB but once the Seahawks did, I had a bad feeling the Patriots would win. Still, the Seahawks could have punched it in but Marshawn Lynch, contrary to what people think, has not been that great in short yardage goal line situations, I read, against jumbo packages which the Patriots had on the field.

I agree with your assessment on Lynch but it was only 2nd down. IMO I do think they could have punched it in with 3 more tries.

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I agree with your assessment on Lynch but it was only 2nd down. IMO I do think they could have punched it in with 3 more tries.

The timeout situation, I think they totally messed up by being indecisive. 

12 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Interesting. Gedeon was one of two players that Vikings fans were not pleased with. We thought he was a reach. I like him but my fellow Vikings fans were disappointed. We would have preferred Desmond King or Jake Butt at that spot.

The Colts had a very strong draft. The first 3 are top players. I believe the Vikings were interested in drafting Basham. We met with him in January. I believe that if he had still been there at #86, we would not have traded back (down) and would have selected him.

Hope all the players work out for our respective teams.

The only knock I could find on Gedeon was he only started for a year. He had 106 tackles 30 more than any other Wolverine and 15.5 for loss only .5 behind Peppers for the team lead there too.

There was talk of him not being a good enough athlete. Then he went out and had a very good Senior Bowl week and game. He had a great combine. I think the 4.75 forty kept him from being talked about more. That's not that slow at 245lbs. Really the 40 is meaningless 

After his Sr bowl with nine tackles and a forced fumble, Gedeon was the strongest linebacker at the combine, lifting 225 pounds 27 times. He tied for the best 20-yard shuttle (4.13 seconds), was third in the 60-yard shuttle (11.58 seconds), had the seventh-best vertical (34.5 inches), was ninth in the three-cone drill and was 12th with a 119-inch broad jump. Those are pretty good measurables. 

He was near the top of the LB group on SPARQ scale as well. I was surprised there wasn't more buzz about him not surprised he almost ended up in the top 100. I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised. He's a guy I was hoping we'd get in the 4th. 

Probably my favorite draft since becoming a Colts fan in 94. It's up there with the 2012 Draft class. If Wilson can become a stud, along with Basham, we will be in good hands. We got a couple of guys who have the potential to be solid players. Hooker and Mack were two of my favorite picks. Love those guys!

19 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You brought up something I had forgotten about. Maybe a QB bootleg or a corner route would have worked better who knows.

The one rule on the goal line is to not throw over the middle. The defense is compacted and there is too many hands that can tip it. There are just too many things that can go wrong and not enough that can go right in that situation. Russell Wilsons athleticism I would have given him a run throw option if I was forced to throw but I think there you had the Pats on their heels and you just pound it in. Numbers say one thing but the game was moving in a total different manner.

I think that the underrated move of the offseason is probably the Hankins signing. While I blame this on the draft, it makes the first 2 picks of the draft feel like it's all coming together. It's honestly a pretty awesome feeling. I can't remember a defense that had this feeling going into the season. 

10 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

I think that the underrated move of the offseason is probably the Hankins signing. While I blame this on the draft, it makes the first 2 picks of the draft feel like it's all coming together. It's honestly a pretty awesome feeling. I can't remember a defense that had this feeling going into the season. 

I'm not sure what you mean by underrated. He's viewed by every sports outlet I've read as our top acquisition in FA. We gave him more money than any of the FA's. He should have the biggest FA impact.  I think Spence could be an underrated signing. If he can stay healthy 

We weren't going to ever be more than average with Parry at NT. I am with you feeling like this D can do some things this year. I love that Ballard isn't bringing in older guys that had their best years else where. He seems committed to the young guys. The thought of a fast D running around hitting people is exciting. 

While i share the enthusiasm of many on the defense, I just don't know if it is all going to come together THIS season.  I think we have some great young pieces in place, but i almost feel like it's going to take another off-season to get this defense where we all want it.  I DO feel though like they can take a positive step forward and maybe become top 20 this season.  But I think top 10 to top half in the league is a year away.  Who knows, maybe I'm wrong and they do a complete turnaround in one season?  There are so many new faces it's really tough to tell.

14 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

While i share the enthusiasm of many on the defense, I just don't know if it is all going to come together THIS season.  I think we have some great young pieces in place, but i almost feel like it's going to take another off-season to get this defense where we all want it.  I DO feel though like they can take a positive step forward and maybe become top 20 this season.  But I think top 10 to top half in the league is a year away.  Who knows, maybe I'm wrong and they do a complete turnaround in one season?  There are so many new faces it's really tough to tell.

I don't anticipate being a top 10 D overnight either. We still need a game wrecker Edge to get after the QB. I'm not very excited about our options at ILB. We don't quality depth. There is work to be done. 

The exciting thing is we have a GM that gets it and has shown he will invest in the D. He values speed and has a better understanding of a 3-4 than our previous one. We finally have a legit NT on the roster and drafted another with a high ceiling. 

We signed and drafted LB's who can play in the league. The previous regime brought in one LB through the draft who's still in the league not on the roster still in the league Morrison. He may be gone after cuts.

I think most understand a top 10 D this year isn't a realistic expectation. The D should be fun to watch. When's the last time you could say that? We have young players that we can watch grow. The D will be exciting with younger faster players. There will be growing pains but we are no longer just talking about building a D. We are doing it. 

4 hours ago, akcolt said:

I'm not sure what you mean by underrated. He's viewed by every sports outlet I've read as our top acquisition in FA. We gave him more money than any of the FA's. He should have the biggest FA impact.  I think Spence could be an underrated signing. If he can stay healthy 

We weren't going to ever be more than average with Parry at NT. I am with you feeling like this D can do some things this year. I love that Ballard isn't bringing in older guys that had their best years else where. He seems committed to the young guys. The thought of a fast D running around hitting people is exciting. 

I mainly meant underrated on the forums. Maybe I'm just not reading many comments about the signing and I'm looking everywhere that there isn't a Hankins comment. I just assumed it was because there is so much excitement going on about this years defense. It would seem, we have filled many needs on defense with younger, and what looks like, upgrades.