Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Got to workout with a few Colts players over the weekend

Boiler_Colt

Saturday after we made our last draft pick, I headed to my local gym on the North side to workout. Low and behold 3 Colts players were working out there. I guess they weren't aloud to lift at the facility during the draft. Luke Rhodes, Deiontrez Mount, and  CB named Chris which I assume is Chris Milton. All super cool dudes, they were getting some seriois circuit training in and even let me work in for a few sets. After they were done they took the time to shake a few hands and introduce themselves to some of the more inquisitive members. Couldnt have been nicer, they represent the Colts well. The draft was on the TVs at the gym and they were constantly checking our picks, knowing that each pick could possibly be their replacememt. I know each of these guys is a long shot but I'll be rooting for them.

35 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Saturday after we made our last draft pick, I headed to my local gym on the North side to workout. Low and behold 3 Colts players were working out there. I guess they weren't aloud to lift at the facility during the draft. Luke Rhodes, Deiontrez Mount, and  CB named Chris which I assume is Chris Milton. All super cool dudes, they were getting some seriois circuit training in and even let me work in for a few sets. After they were done they took the time to shake a few hands and introduce themselves to some of the more inquisitive members. Couldnt have been nicer, they represent the Colts well. The draft was on the TVs at the gym and they were constantly checking our picks, knowing that each pick could possibly be their replacememt. I know each of these guys is a long shot but I'll be rooting for them.

must have been quite an experience, glad you got to do it

I know Dee Mount personally. The kid has a ton of energy and a big heart. He has always been an underdog but that only pushes him 10x harder. If he is anything like the Dee Mount from 6 years ago he will see the field, I promise you that.

#MountUp

2 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Thanks so much for sharing your story!     These kind of stories are always good to read....

Much appreciated!      :thmup:

:colts:

When I hear stories like these it makes me wish I lived in Indy. It'd be awesome to casually bump into random Colts players at the gym, or the mall, or a Subway. One time I saw former Notre Dame WR/Cubs pitcher Jeff Samardzija at an airport. That was pretty cool. 

When i was in college in the mid/late 80s, i was standing with my roomate in a club in Daytona Beach.  A blonde walked up to him and started talking and i couldnt help but think i recognized her.

She kind of leaned up and said something into his ear after which his eyes kinda bugged out and he shook his head.  No words just a headshake. Then she walked away and i noticed the bodyguard following at about 10 feet.  It was heather locklear.

So i say to my buddy "what the *bleep* was that all about" and "do you know who that was ?"  He couldnt talk , just had a dumb look on his face.  He finally told me she asked "do you have a room here?"

you see the club, "701 south" was in a hotel.

We were both stunned and silent for a while.  Kinda felt like we lost our dog or something.  Did that really happen?  are we too drunk?

Then i noticed the big MTV card on the lanyard around his neck. He was workin ng for MTV during spring break.  

She was looked ng for a MTV VIP room at the hotel.  We laughed for days cuz he just shook his head no.

same year, he saw the older girl from family ties (not tina yothers) puke in the vip room bathtub and get carried out by "nick" from that show.

oh, and tom cruise sat in booth behind me at a mcdonalds mid eighties right after filming top gun.  I was only one that recognized him. Cant mistake that nos and voice. A new porshe with temp indiana plates pulled in. He was living in NJ then and obviously spent dome top gun $ on a new whip. He must have just picked it up and was headed back with a buddy. Tom was wearing all sweats and sun glasses.  His buddy did the ordering.  Was fun looking around to see if anyone else noticed.  Nope.  I didnt bother him.

Awesome. My coworker was at Colts Grille taking a pee and Pierre Garcon walked in and used the urinal next to him. He had no idea who he was since he's not a football fan. Everyone was like, dude you know that's a Colts player right? lol

Met Jeff Saturday and Hunter Smith here locally. Hunter Smith let me wear his Colts Super Bowl Championship ring. hahaha

A couple years ago I had the opportunity to visit the practice facility while they were having OTAs.  Met Chuck and Chud, and we had lunch there with the players. 

What was interesting was watching them come in from their various meetings.  The DBs and RBs were normal size guys, about like me.  The LB group was bigger.  Then the OLinemen came in and it was like land of the giants.  I'm glad I got my food before they went through the buffet.  But I remember thinking that some of the guys, like Chapman just didn't look that big nor athletic.

Andrew and MH came out and it hits you how big he is when you see him in person.

I hung out at the Conrad hotel the night before and morning of the reunion game this past year, met a ton of old players. Joe Addai came right up to me and was so excited to see me it seemed, we talked for a min or so. Got a pic w Dallas Clark, got to say congrats to Saturday and Polian. Went to Tastings after the game (connected to the hotel) before our reservation at St. Elmos and Brian Fletcher was sitting across from us, it was crazy nobody is noticing these guys that were just on the field at halftime all wearing their SB rings. I went up and thanked him for being the suggestion box and making that huge catch on the final drive. @Gramz came too and got a ton of autographs, it was great.

Also met Hoda Kotb outside Yankee Stadium a few years ago. My family loves KL&H and she was super nice talking to me and took a pic.

On missed opportunities - Mark Messier walks right by me at my gym (which has an ice rink) and I didn't realize it was him until after I walked out. Still kills me to this day.

I have many other sports ones, including a few more NHL players who live in my area, as well as some NFL players. Bobby Valentine owns a restaurant in my town so he's there all the time, but the best night I had was when I worked the Heisman Ceremony a few years ago, I met almost everybody, it was insane.

Bumped into and shook Polians hand once in a bar in Terre haute while the colts were at camp. We.m bought their table a round and at the same time, he bought our table a round. Tipped our bottles at one another and moved on. 

6 minutes ago, Major_Adobe said:

I ran into Donte Moncrief at the Keystone Mall last night. I shook his hand and awkwardly congratulated him. Not sure what I was congratulating him on exactly but he was cool about it and thanked me. 

haha  Don't you just hate that. Run into somebody and you just don't know exactly what to say and you end up telling them what time it is or some crap like that. lol Then they walk away thinking.... Uh did he really just tell me what time it is? 

Just now, pgt_rob said:

haha  Don't you just hate that. Run into somebody and you just don't know exactly what to say and you end up telling them what time it is or some crap like that. lol Then they walk away thinking.... Uh did he really just tell me what time it is? 

My wife had a good time making fun of me after. 

49 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

A couple years ago I had the opportunity to visit the practice facility while they were having OTAs.  Met Chuck and Chud, and we had lunch there with the players. 

What was interesting was watching them come in from their various meetings.  The DBs and RBs were normal size guys, about like me.  The LB group was bigger.  Then the OLinemen came in and it was like land of the giants.  I'm glad I got my food before they went through the buffet.  But I remember thinking that some of the guys, like Chapman just didn't look that big nor athletic.

Andrew and MH came out and it hits you how big he is when you see him in person.

Yeah, a long time friend of mine (since kindergarten) is the nephew of Chuck Noll.

He had the opportunity to visit the Steelers locker room after a game back in the 70's.

He said he was surprised that they weren't nearly as big in real life as they seemed on TV.

Not Colts related, but the only experience I've had meeting an athlete casually like this was actually on my honeymoon.  My wife and I flew into Miami around 10 PM and we were waiting on out luggage. I look up and Mike Miller is standing right next to us.

2 hours ago, GoColtsWin said:

Bumped into Damon Bailey once, while buying diapers at Target in Bloomington. Super nice guy.   :)

Damon Bailey lives in the same town as me. Coached the town's girl's basketball team to back to back state championships. He is one of the few that didn't let all of the fame get to his head. 

I used to work at Somerset Lakes apartments on the northside of indy when I first got out of high school, and George McGinnis lived there at the time and he was always down to earth and super friendly. He used to go out of his way to talk to me, and I saw him pretty much everyday. He wasn't even aware that I knew who he was for the longest time. My father is a huge Pacers fan and always made sure I knew about all his favorite Pacers players from his era. It was actually kind of funny when the subject came up because we had been friendly with each other on a daily basis for quite a few years. One day, he noticed I was wearing a Pacers hat and he asked me if I knew he used to play for the Pacers and I was like "yeah Mr McGinnis, you're friggin jersey is hanging in the rafters" lol 

He always gave me a hard time for, as he put it, not being "impressed" by his basketball career, and I think that's why he was so friendly towards me. I was actually very impressed, I just didn't want to bother him with it. Great guy.

My only brush with an athlete was before the 2008 draft and I was flying back (after Christmas) to Ontario, California where I lived at the time and saw Dustin Keller. I'm a big Purdue fan and recognized him and congratulated him on winning their bowl game and I think he won the MVP of the game award too. He was too polite and called me sir (I'm 46 (so 37 then) now but still feel young at heart and sir seems like something I call someone, not being called it...LOL) He was going to California to prepare for the draft and I wished him luck and we boarded our planes.

4 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

As an insurance agent I met Ray Donaldson and got to try on his super bowl ring he got with Dallas as well as Eugene Daniel and David Thornton. If we are dropping names lol

I actually have met and talked to Ray Tolbert and Landon Turner a bunch of times. They used to be up at Bally's a lot where I worked out years ago. I also met Ray Donaldson as well years ago, he was at the Y working out one day and I sat in a dry Sauna with him for a good 30 minutes talking football.

16 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

When I hear stories like these it makes me wish I lived in Indy. It'd be awesome to casually bump into random Colts players at the gym, or the mall, or a Subway. One time I saw former Notre Dame WR/Cubs pitcher Jeff Samardzija at an airport. That was pretty cool. 

I don't live in Indy , but you run in to pro players a lot at the mall downtown.  I've seen several in there. 

I met & shook hands with John Unitas when I was 11 years old. It's the moment I became a Colts fan for life.

My oldest brother played semi pro football for a team in New Hampshire called the Nashua Colts. (Horseshoe on the helmets & the whole 9) I. attended his end of season banquet & Unitas was there as a guest speaker.

Now, I idolized my big brother & was already somewhat a Colts fan because of him playing on this team but after this encounter I was star struck. My brother passed away in 2004 & his Colt helmet is still hanging in his basement in NH. Every time I visit I go down & look at it. I would love to some day have it but I don't know how to ask my sister in law.

Back when I was a youngin and lived in Rosario, Argentina I used to play soccer with local neighborhood kids such as Franco Cervi and Giovani Lo Celso. They'd go on to play for my favorite club Rosario Central. I doubt anyone on here knows who they are but yeah...

But they now play for Benefica and PSG, both very big clubs in the World Football, comparatively. 

12 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

I met Barry Krause and his wife in a bar in downtown Indy.  c. 1992

Heh, seriously enjoyed your post B_C.  Nice when things like that happen.

I delivered a pizza to his house in Carmel once.  Saw the name, wondered if it was him, and sure enough he answered the door.  Same with Isiah Thomas when he was coaching the Pacers, and a few non-descript Colts players back in the day.  Tony Dungy used to come into the store about every other week to pick his up.  Nicest guy you'd ever want to meet.

When i was a GM for a carmel area jimmy johns i was lucky enough to have alot of players come in especially during camp and even some regulars. Castanzo and D allen were regulars. Mewhort, matt hasselbeck, luck, adam vinny *him and saturday actually also would get their dry cleaning next door* just to name a few lol. There was way more but i was usually the only person working who would recognize them. Only time i saw peyton i was with my dad at keystone crossing mall. It was about a month after a playoff loss early 2000's. PM was just walking by and i sadly did not have the courage to cold approach a football legend *mostly because it did not appear other people were either*. Now i live in Denver and have personally met von miller and mrs bowlen at my new job.

10 hours ago, bababooey said:

I hung out at the Conrad hotel the night before and morning of the reunion game this past year, met a ton of old players. Joe Addai came right up to me and was so excited to see me it seemed, we talked for a min or so. Got a pic w Dallas Clark, got to say congrats to Saturday and Polian. Went to Tastings after the game (connected to the hotel) before our reservation at St. Elmos and Brian Fletcher was sitting across from us, it was crazy nobody is noticing these guys that were just on the field at halftime all wearing their SB rings. I went up and thanked him for being the suggestion box and making that huge catch on the final drive. @Gramz came too and got a ton of autographs.

That was a great weekend.

Brandon.Dallas_resized-2.jpg

It's been quite a few years ago, but I was shopping at Costco and met Adam Vinatieri.  He looked just like any other guy walking around the store that day, and people were passing him without a clue who he was.  I went up and introduced myself.  He was super nice guy, I'm sure not a stretch of the imagination for anybody to believe.  He asked me where the coffee was, said his wife sent him out with the shopping list and he had no idea where anything was, lol.  

5 hours ago, waka waka said:

pictures or it didnt happen none of it :)

I get what you're saying Fozzy Bear from the Muppets in terms of the age of selfies & cell phones. No, I've never met anyone famous either as an athlete or a musician. However, to be honest with you, I wouldn't need a picture to remember them by on a phone. 

Call me crazy but I think famous celebrities find it refreshing when fans just chat for a few minutes & go about their day. I'm kind of old school; anti-social media anyway. I think part of my frustration stems from concerts & fans who are so busy recording the live event that they aren't actively engaging in the experience. Go back to bic lights vs iPhones. 

For those that need a picture to commemorate their chance encounter, cool. I won't rain on your parade especially if you are a avid collector of specific merchandise that say a HOF QB wore on game day a la Peyton Manning. I get it. But, for me...I like to keep 1 on 1 interactions with someone I admired private. 

If you've ever seen comedian Bill Maher on HBO & his "New Rules" segment, he commented on jerks who sit on other peoples shoulders at a concert to block other fans from seeing the show. Bill is exactly right. It drives me nuts when that happens. It's okay if it's a little kid say age 5-12, but anyone over 15 & up, this practice must stop immediately. End Rant. If people did this at movie plexes the audience would grow insane. Why is this conduct deemed acceptable outside during a live show? 

22 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Who???

1 hour ago, ReMeDy said:

That's awesome! I admire athletes who do those simple gestures.

This post does highlight something very important. Athletes & celebrities have a lot of commitments & engagements pulling them several different directions. Just to have a well known celebrity acknowledge you & brighten your day is pretty nice on their part. 

I like famous people who never forget where they came from & who take the time to appreciate that you value the sacrifices & contributions that they make either on a stage, on a court, on a set, or before a crowd. 

I like to look at situations from opposite vantage points from mine. Pictures & flash bulbs going off have to get under your skin once in awhile when you just want a moment alone to collect your thoughts & be alone. But the celebrity also knows that fans buy tickets, jerseys, & NFL Sunday Ticket too to watch the Colts every week too so never bite the hand that feeds you either. It's a delicate balancing act as well. So, if a celebrity was short toward me, I'd figure that they're just having a bad day & move on. No sweat. It happens to everybody sooner or later.