Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Malik Hooker - Bob Sanders: Free vs. Strong Safety

Dingus McGirt

14 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Very likely displaying my ignorance here.

Just wondering if there is any discussion/comparison of the two players, or will Hooker be used in a completely different role?

Bob should have been playing more of the center fielder role as he was actually very good, even at his size, with tracking and attacking the ball. His 2007 season is clear indication, when he didn't have to primarily play run support, he could stay healthy and be the top safety in the league as he won DPOY that year. Malik is bigger, but isn't as physical as Bob was. However, that's a good thing though as he should have a relatively healthy career.

Hooker is an Ed Reed clone plain and simple. He's a ball hawking safety who protects everything deep. He's going to be fun to watch.

38 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Just wondering if there is any discussion/comparison of the two players, or will Hooker be used in a completely different role?

To my understanding he will play a role similar to Devin McCourty when he switched to Safely, he will roam that back end.Bob Sanders was more so a enforcer he played relatively close to the box if not in the v

box a majority of his defensive snaps.

Bob could have excelled playing deep or as run support.  Alas his body just couldn't take his physical play.  Hooker just needs to rove around and when tacklng, wrap up. No need to go missile mode. 

2 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Hooker gets knocked for poor tackling right now, whereas that was one of Bob's fortes.  I don't think this is totally true, I think Hooker has the physicality and physical traits to be a good tackler and there is some video of him laying the wood.  He is just 3-4 years into his football career and there are times where he takes bad angles at running backs, etc... he seems to be fine in the open field and will learn as he goes.

I think Bob was a more refined player coming out of Iowa than Hooker, and that Hooker has potential to be more of  a game-changer at the NFL level in terms of forcing turnovers and turning games around (not that Bob didn't do that).  I also hope, as others have said, Hooker seems to be a less dynamic tackler, which will hopefully improve his longevity.

Nah. Bob was a missile who brought down guys with force and knew his angles. Hooker isn't that type of tackler nor does he take the best angles. yet. He'll never be that hard hitter but he will become a more than solid tackler imo. His tape shows he can tackle fine when he gets to the ball. 

I'd be cool if he could learn to strip the ball like a Tillman, or even Adams 

In comparison to Bob Sanders, there is none. What made him so great was his hitting ability.  He has been out the league for a while now. Outside of Ray Lewis, I have not seen a player hit the way he did. Which led to his short playing career. With that said I am not expecting Hooker to play anything close to Bob S. (a player known for tackling, and hitting). What the Colts need are play makers, and I think the Colts got a pretty good one. 

The best move the Colts made was letting Ryan G. go. The free fall is finally over.

Earl Thomas, even though he was a free safety, when he got a chance to lay the wood, he did because he gathered plenty of momentum with his speed and along with Chancellor, they both sent a message. However, it did take him a year or two under the NFL regimen before he initiated more contact. 

Geathers is our best best for those "send a message" plays, let Hooker gain some strength on an NFL regimen, always felt Butler was one big contact play away from injury, so Hooker better be ready as the season goes on. The work he puts in now as far as strength and endurance goes, will come in handy later as a rookie. I for one am glad the easier games, at least easy on paper, are earlier on for mistakes to be overcome earlier on. 

Bob Sanders, because he had the rare combination of speed and power, could get back in coverage pretty fast too vs TEs. But most of his time was close to the box, and his career would have been extended if we had good beef down the middle to reduce his contact frequency. 

I pulled this from Chris Landry's site-

SAFETY EVALUATION CRITERIA

NFL SAFETIES have changed in their value and skill set somewhat in that no longer is there a big difference in skill set between FS & SS in that both must be able to cover the deep half of the field, cover TE’s down the seam and defend the run in the tackle box. With TE’s becoming a bigger and bigger factor in the passing game and more athletic, the same requirement is there for safeties to cover them. Even though, FS’s and SS’s are more interchangeable , FREE SAFETIES are still generally a tad more athletic and have greater range to play center field. STRONG SAFETIES have a tad more physical strength to match up with on-line TE’s and defend the run.

The most important qualities for SAFETIES are INSTINCTS, TACKLING, and RANGE. FREE SAFETIES must be able to make coverage calls and quarterback the secondary when offenses are in motion. They must know where everyone is fitting in front of them, which zones will be occupied and which areas need the most help. The exceptional FS’s do a good job of reading the QB’s eyes like Ed Reed. They must be able to anticipate and quickly diagnose and they are most often the last line of defense so they must be able to tackle well. From a range standpoint, they must be able to sink into deep halves coverage and adjust to vertical receivers down the hash as the best safeties cover the most ground with the ball in the air. STRONG SAFETIES have to be even a bigger factor as a tackler and run defender overall. Yet they have to be athletic enough to cover a TE, X receiver, or even a slot. He will have to be instinctive enough to direct a linebacker to his side.

SEQUENCIAL ORDER OF EVALUATING A DS ON A PLAY:
1. READ & INSTINCTS
2. FOOT QUICKNESS
3. BUMP
4. BACK PEDAL
5. TURN
6. COBP
7. CLOSE
8. RANGE
9. BURST
10. CATCHUP
11. BALL REACTIONS
12. MAN COVERAGE
13. ZONE COVERAGE
14. CONTAIN RUN
15. WARD OFF BLOCKS
16. TACKLING
17. BLITZ

2 totally different safetys. Bob hit as hard as he could on every play and unfortunately had a short and injured career. Malik will be more of the general in the secondary running all over the place and taking the ball away. He will make some big tackles too but wont be throwing them the way Bob did.

Hookers gonna make alot of plays!

Bob has/had some of Hooker's range and center-fielding ability, but Hooker doesn't have Bob's run-stuffing and hard hitting ability.  Sanders was a very complete safety, even though he's best known for his ability to hit and tackle.  The player who most resembles Bob's play on the current roster is Geathers.  If Geathers can stay healthy, Hooker-Geathers could be a very formidable safety duo, giving QBs nightmares.  It could be this regime's version of Bethea-Sanders