Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jimmy Raye has been let go

Everyone

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

The odds he would be the next guy?  0.00000000001.
 Something was wrong with our system.
  Time for better minds.

Yea, definitely made the right choice going with an outside pick.

Damn!

I was hoping this one wouldn't happen.

I was hoping Ballard would keep Jimmy Raye.

I'm sure we'll hire great people to replace the ones we've let go,  but this is a hard day inside the walls of the Colts facility.     Good people were let go.....      

Damn,  I was really hoping Ballard would keep Raye.....

Like I said in another post,  Ballard is entitled to have his own staff,  his own people....

But,  damn!          :peek:

Good release IMO. Although the move is mostly about Ballard bringing in his own people, I think Raye needed to go. He was a Grigson guy and like Pagano, needs to share some of the blame for the bad roster moves from 2012-2016. Raye scouted a lot of those guys that are no longer here and okay'd a lot of those draft picks. I believe that's why a bunch of us were hesitant too him as being our GM. Like Grigson I think he had an eye for only "middle of the pack" talent and placed too much stock in project players. 

I wasn't really expecting this. Irsay spoke like Raye was going to stay. I'm not surprised, and it's not shocking or crazy, especially with Ballard being linked with other personnel guys since he was hired. I just thought Raye would stick around for a year.

With all of the cuts coming down, I sort of hope Mike Bluem sticks...

I feel Bluem helped make some of Grigson's poor FA choices less painful with some of his contract structures. Feel like that was one area where the Colts front office under Grigson was actually somewhat improved on over Polian's tenure, at least if felt like the team was never tied to any player if they didn't work out...

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

I wasn't really expecting this. Irsay spoke like Raye was going to stay. I'm not surprised, and it's not shocking or crazy, especially with Ballard being linked with other personnel guys since he was hired. I just thought Raye would stick around for a year.

Irsay spoke highly of him. I think this is down to the fact that if Ballard is to lure Ed Dodds away from the job as Seahawks senior personnel executive, you need to offer a top job. Also, Raye might want to pursue his goal of being a GM himself, so this could be a preemptive move for both parts.

I'd also say that although this is related to scouting, that this is also signs of things to come from the coaching staff. Nothing short of a playoff appearance and win is going to save Pagano's job. Because if Chris moves this swiftly with players and scouts, I can only imagine how quickly he'll sour on a losing coaching staff. Seems like Irsay has given him that power .

2 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Irsay spoke highly of him. I think this is down to the fact that if Ballard is to lure Ed Dodds away from the job as Seahawks senior personnel executive, you need to offer a top job. Also, Raye might want to pursue his goal of being a GM himself, so this could be a preemptive move for both parts.

What's weird is the Bills job. I don't know how much control the new GM will have, but it sounds like the plan is for the coach to have roster control. Rules about letting personnel guys interview say that their current team doesn't have to give permission if the new position doesn't include full roster control. Theoretically, the Colts could have blocked Raye from interviewing for the Bills job if the coach has final say on roster decisions. 

That's a lot of assumptions. I don't know whether they are interested in Raye or whether he's interested in them. But if there is mutual interest, they are now free to pursue each other.

5 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'd also say that although this is related to scouting, that this is also signs of things to come from the coaching staff. Nothing short of a playoff appearance and win is going to save Pagano's job. Because if Chris moves this swiftly with players and scouts, I can only imagine how quickly he'll sour on a losing coaching staff. Seems like Irsay has given him that power .

That's what I'm hoping! this is awesome to me it makes the odds of chuck returning a lot slimmer if he sucks again 

Was sort of expecting it. On war room photos and videos he was looking weird. By far not as happy as in the Grigson era. I imagine lots of scouts already feared that changes will come, not really any handshakes, fist bombs or anything on the photos. By the way even Pagano looked quite shy. Also, Ballard didn't go together with him to the Presser, isn't it telling?

19 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

They said specifically its not wins that they are judging pagano by. I feel like a lot of people are forgetting this convenient side of the coin cause they want him gone but ballards been true to everything else he said.

12 minutes ago, Gyworks said:

On war room photos and videos he was looking weird. By far not as happy as in the Grigson era. I imagine lots of scouts already feared that changes will come, not really any handshakes, fist bombs or anything on the photos. By the way even Pagano looked quite shy. Also, Ballard didn't go together with him to the Presser, isn't it telling?

I noticed the same. Really weird Pagano wasn't to the presser beyond the first day. Pagano didn't look particularly happy. While he might be gone next year anyway, it doesn't bode super well for this year in regards to the cooperation. But maybe I'm overthinking it. 

12 minutes ago, Imrryr said:

They said specifically its not wins that they are judging pagano by. I feel like a lot of people are forgetting this convenient side of the coin cause they want him gone but ballards been true to everything else he said.

Yes and no. He did say they'd only "dabble" in free agency, then proceeded to sign the most free agents in the history of the franchise. He also said he would go strictly BPA in the draft, but I feel like outside of the first 2 rounds, there were better players on the board than the guys that were drafted.

Neither of those particular things bother me, as I'm happy with the results of both, but it's enough to convince me not to expect Ballard to tip his hand in press conferences and radio interviews.

20 minutes ago, Gyworks said:

Was sort of expecting it. On war room photos and videos he was looking weird. By far not as happy as in the Grigson era. I imagine lots of scouts already feared that changes will come, not really any handshakes, fist bombs or anything on the photos. By the way even Pagano looked quite shy. Also, Ballard didn't go together with him to the Presser, isn't it telling?

i thought pagano's conversation with at least one pick (by phone) was a bit odd.  being a bit harsh... not like congratulating him but saying , well you need to be ready to come here and work, just get ready to work, blah blah blah..... perhaps pagano is like that to all the picks on the phone, but it struck me different.  and ballard was within earshot as I recall.  (just me reading too much into it I'm sure).