Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Needs for 2018 draft? :)

Too early already...but assuming this draft ends up being a B+ or better, what are our top needs for the next draft?

My obvious one would probably be ILB - a player like Luke Kuechly or Bobby Wagner would do wonders for the defense.

Pass rush - you can never have enough of them.

Possibly more depth on the OL as well.

Definitely ILB. We'll be serviceable at best. Probably the same at OLB and nickel corner. 

Outside corner and safety should definitely be solidified. Hoping Bashum shows out and becomes a nice edge setting run defender that can get to the QB on occasion, and that Mack turns into what we need at RB. 

I posted about our 17 and 18 drafts a year ago and there's no reason for me to change my view....

I think the 18 draft is going to look a LOT like the 17 draft.

A corner and an OLB in two of the first three rounds and another defensive player to make it all defense in the first two days....

And then day three,  there will be a mix of offensive and defense which will include another running back to fill the Gore spot.     This back won't be like Marlon Mack.     So Mack and the new guy will be in a time share.

I don't expect vote back,  and I think Ballard will want to take another young corner with ball skills....

Should be interesting to watch a year from now.....

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I posted about our 17 and 18 drafts a year ago and there's no reason for me to change my view....

A corner and an OLB in two of the first three rounds and another defensive player to make it all defense in the first two days....

And then day three,  there will be a mix of offensive and defense which will include another running back to fill the Gore spot.     This back won't be like Marlon Mack.     So Mack and the new guy will be in a time share.

I don't expect vote back,  and I think Ballard will want to take another young corner with ball skills....

hope we get Chubb. RB is a beast

With the 32nd pick in the 2018 NFL draft, who cares...:>)

Guys to keep an eye on...

Arden Key,

Sam Hubbard,

Saquon Barkley,

Malik Jefferson

Tavarus McFadden

Minkah Fitzpatrick

Tayquan Lewis

Bradley Chubb

Harold Landry

etc...

Next year needs to be a good mix of offense and defense. We went mostly defense this year which we needed to, but you dont want to build this superior defense and let our offense get stagnant. Gotta keep bringing in fresh talent across the board. If we have the opprotunity to get a WR thats better than hilton and moncrief then so be it. If we have a chance to get a stud left tackle then so be it. Good pass rusher, same thing. Just take BPA. The rest will work itself out.

7 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Probably ILB and CB. I think Walker will start but we still need a banger inside. I'm already studying Azeem Victor and Malik Jefferson for LBs. Not sure who will emerge as a top CB.

You think Walker beats out Jackson? Pretty bold call, but Jackson isn't exactly great so it should be an open competition.

IMO Edwin Jackson was forced in simply due to incompetency of others around him, not necessarily due to sheer skill.

Walker I can see being an Odell Thurman type player for us (without the troubles) despite average measurables.

16 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

EDGE, CB, RB and ILB in that order I think.

As things stand right now, I almost agree. Would say EDGE, ILB, RB and CB. We might still need a G too, but at least the list of massive needs should be shorter next year, and that in itself is going to be a relief. :thmup:

It will be interesting to see where will will take a running back. May have to go higher next year and take one in the 2nd or 3rd. But it looks like it going to be a decent class again.

Further upgrading of the LB corps will be required next year. Nickel corner too.

2 hours ago, BlueCollarColts said:

You think Walker beats out Jackson? Pretty bold call, but Jackson isn't exactly great so it should be an open competition.

Edwin Jackson isn't exactly "good". He made a few nice looking plays but as someone else mentioned, he was forced into the lineup. Walker has the potential to be a 3 down LB. Go back to the 2015 tape and you'll see as much. But I think we draft another ILB next year to be the true athletic WILL we've been looking for. Walker can cover but ultimately I see a guy like Victor or Jefferson as potential elite LBs like Wagner who can make a bunch of plays for us.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Edwin Jackson isn't exactly "good". He made a few nice looking plays but as someone else mentioned, he was forced into the lineup. Walker has the potential to be a 3 down LB. Go back to the 2015 tape and you'll see as much. But I think we draft another ILB next year to be the true athletic WILL we've been looking for. Walker can cover but ultimately I see a guy like Victor or Jefferson as potential elite LBs like Wagner who can make a bunch of plays for us.

I agree and think Walker has potential to be similar to both the Broncos ILB's from a few years ago.  He can be similar to both Marshall and Travathan.  More of a Brandon Marshall mold but size wise he is fine.  Next year will look just like this year.  He will look at BPA and you will see both s ides hit hard.  Curious to see how our Scouting Department looks soon as well.  Girgson and his guys are finally all gone.

At this point.  ILB, RB, CB, RG, and Edge

ILB - We just didn't do much there.  Unless Walker is a major steal. 

RB - I really doubt Marlon Mack is going to be a 3 down answer for the Colts.  To me he looks like a good change of pace guy.  Someone we can use this year and in the future, but I don't see him being able to carry the load all by himself.  He needs another guy he can rotate with.

CB - Davis's contract is going to run out.  We will either need to replace him or extend him.

RG - We didn't do much there.  Seems like we have a lot of solid backup guys who can play that spot but no one who can stand out above the others.

Edge - Bashem is probably not the long term answer here.  And neither is Sheard.

4 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

It will be interesting to see where will will take a running back. May have to go higher next year and take one in the 2nd or 3rd. But it looks like it going to be a decent class again.

Further upgrading of the LB corps will be required next year. Nickel corner too.

Frankly RB salaries are not that high I would argue that we should sign one in free agency over spend a high draft pick on one.  

6 Million per year will put you in the top 10 of RB salaries.  

Another option is to just get another one in the 4th round but the opposite of Mack.  Mack is kind of a shifty change of pace guy. . . so we get a bruising power back and just rotate them.  

13 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Frankly RB salaries are not that high I would argue that we should sign one in free agency over spend a high draft pick on one.  

6 Million per year will put you in the top 10 of RB salaries.  

Another option is to just get another one in the 4th round but the opposite of Mack.  Mack is kind of a shifty change of pace guy. . . so we get a bruising power back and just rotate them.  

With rookie contracts any RB taken in any round is not expensive.

38 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

With rookie contracts any RB taken in any round is not expensive.

You miss my point.  

You have 2 resources with which to acquire players. Salary cap and draft picks.  Spending a draft pick on a player means he will be a minimum impact on your salary cap for 4 years. 

My point is why spend the draft capital on a RB when a it does not take a great deal of salary cap to sign a good RB in free agency?

We're talking about spending a 2nd round pick on an RB which is a pretty high investment of draft capital.  But we could instead invest 6 M a year on an RB which is only a modest investment of salary cap in an RB and have one of the top RB's in the NFL.  

Keep in mind as a demonstration of how low the pay for RB's really is.  When Fournette signs his contract he'll likely be in the top 10 of RB pay.  

I mean I know he's a top 5 pick but it demonstrates how low RB pay is overall even for vets.  Outside of Kicker, Punter, Fullback and Longsnapper I don't think you can find a position in the NFL which has such low top end pay.  

Most positions I would say require you to drop 9 to 11 mil per year for a top 10 contract.  The #10 contract for RB is at 5 M.  

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

You miss my point.  

You have 2 resources with which to acquire players. Salary cap and draft picks.  Spending a draft pick on a player means he will be a minimum impact on your salary cap for 4 years. 

My point is why spend the draft capital on a RB when a it does not take a great deal of salary cap to sign a good RB in free agency?

We're talking about spending a 2nd round pick on an RB which is a pretty high investment of draft capital.  But we could instead invest 6 M a year on an RB which is only a modest investment of salary cap in an RB and have one of the top RB's in the NFL.  

Keep in mind as a demonstration of how low the pay for RB's really is.  When Fournette signs his contract he'll likely be in the top 10 of RB pay.  

I mean I know he's a top 5 pick but it demonstrates how low RB pay is overall even for vets.  Outside of Kicker, Punter, Fullback and Longsnapper I don't think you can find a position in the NFL which has such low top end pay.  

Most positions I would say require you to drop 9 to 11 mil per year for a top 10 contract.  The #10 contract for RB is at 5 M.  

I think maybe you missed my point as well. Drafting a RB that can make an impact is worth whatever contract he signs. If there is a impact RB taken in any round of the draft that can contribute to bringing wins, then draft him. Don't sit around waiting for a RB that is on someone's else's cut list or as a second thought of a team who won't commit to him. The Colts have had their fair share of second tier RBs and it has shown.

25 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think maybe you missed my point as well. Drafting a RB that can make an impact is worth whatever contract he signs. If there is a impact RB taken in any round of the draft that can contribute to bringing wins, then draft him. Don't sit around waiting for a RB that is on someone's else's cut list or as a second thought of a team who won't commit to him. The Colts have had their fair share of second tier RBs and it has shown.

Not saying get a RB on the cut list.  Get an RB who's rookie contract has run out and his team isn't bringing him back.  Possibly due to depth etc.  

I personally wanted Eddie Lacy last year.  

18 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Probably ILB and CB. I think Walker will start but we still need a banger inside. I'm already studying Azeem Victor and Malik Jefferson for LBs. Not sure who will emerge as a top CB.

I love Minkah FItzpatrick. He was the best Alabama corner this year and even got kicked inside to safety after Eddie Jackson's injury. He's special and he hits every single of Ballard's criteria for secondary players - size, athleticism, ballskils.

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I have to agree, our roster was so barren of talent that even next year we will probably need reinforcements in the same areas we needed new players at this year.

My early favorite RB for next year is Kalen Ballage from Arizona state. He has great ball skills(470 receiving yards this year) 540 rushing yards and 14 TDs on them:

18 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Malik Jefferson in a Colts uni?!? Please don't get me excited this early... I need time to simmer :)

19 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Jefferson is Walter Football's 2018 pick for the Colts.

Bold prediction: Ballard drafts a WR early next year.

Moncrief and Aiken are both FAs after this upcoming season. There's a good chance that Dorsett doesn't take the next step. That leaves Hilton and maybe Rogers.

We all know that Ballard likes competition at all positions...including WR (which he displayed by signing Aiken). If he doesn't re-sign Moncrief (definitely not a guarantee at this point) or Aiken (probably unlikely as well), he probably will sign a good FA WR. But even if he brings back Moncrief or signs a vet FA, he will still likely want to bring in another WR to develop and compete.

And it looks like next year's WR draft class will include at least 3-4 1st round talents (though you never know about these things)...so the value will be there.

WR (outside of QB) is the only position that Ballard really hasn't put his stamp on yet...and I think that all changes next offseason. 

After that, I assume CB will be targeted early and probably ILB/DL/RB...similar to this past year.

5 hours ago, stitches said:

I love Minkah FItzpatrick. He was the best Alabama corner this year and even got kicked inside to safety after Eddie Jackson's injury. He's special and he hits every single of Ballard's criteria for secondary players - size, athleticism, ballskils.

Yeah I didn't watch many Alabama games but when I did, Fitzpatrick was always making plays. That's how it was for me with CJ Mosley. 

4 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Bold prediction: Ballard drafts a WR early next year.

Moncrief and Aiken are both FAs after this upcoming season. There's a good chance that Dorsett doesn't take the next step. That leaves Hilton and maybe Rogers.

We all know that Ballard likes competition at all positions...including WR (which he displayed by signing Aiken). If he doesn't re-sign Moncrief (definitely not a guarantee at this point) or Aiken (probably unlikely as well), he probably will sign a good FA WR. But even if he brings back Moncrief or signs a vet FA, he will still likely want to bring in another WR to develop and compete.

And it looks like next year's WR draft class will include at least 3-4 1st round talents (though you never know about these things)...so the value will be there.

WR (outside of QB) is the only position that Ballard really hasn't put his stamp on yet...and I think that all changes next offseason. 

After that, I assume CB will be targeted early and probably ILB/DL/RB...similar to this past year.

Define early 

On 4/30/2017 at 3:08 PM, Defjamz26 said:

Michah Kizer is a guy to keep an eye on at ILB.