Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts are releasing several scouting personnel.

MTC

5 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I have a feeling that CB wanted the people to stay until after the draft since they had developed the Scouting Reports

Yea, I was going to say, it would have been a colossal nightmare to fire them before the draft, because you can't just bring in new personnel before the draft and expect them to come up with an accurate draft board for their new team on such short notice.

A number of posters have said it,  but I'd like to echo the thought.....

This is NOT a surprise....     I posted this shortly after Ballard was hired and I think a few others did as well.

This is the business.     It's ugly and not away fair....     the guys we have will likely land on their feet elsewhere,  but it's hard on their families.       Selling a home,  pulling kids out of school,   separating them from the friends they made --- all of it.      It sucks.      But,  it's the business.

Ballard is entitled to bring in his own staff.     And you typically make the change right after the draft,  not when you're hired.      As others noted here,  you're in the middle of draft season --- bad time to move around.

Do it now.   Do it as quickly and quietly as possible and move on...

5 hours ago, SDakColts said:

A couple more names to watch while Ballard fills his scouting staff. Rex Hogan the Jets Director of College Scouting, and Morocco Brown currently a 49ers scout, but scouted with Ballard in Chicago. La Canfora also mentioned their names a while back.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/3/24/15049972/report-gives-a-few-names-to-keep-an-eye-on-potential-colts-scouting-department-hires-chris-ballard

I personally think that we should look into Scot McCloughan for a position on our staff. I believe he was unfairly a fall guy in Washington due to his conflicted relationship with Team President Bruce Allen. He has a great resume, and built a playoff roster quickly while he was there

He also may or may not have a drinking problem that derailed his career as a GM. I'm all for second chances though, and I agree that he would be a great asset to the scouting department.

53 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

He also may or may not have a drinking problem that derailed his career as a GM. I'm all for second chances though, and I agree that he would be a great asset to the scouting department.

How about third chances? Or maybe fourth chances? It's possible his time with the Niners and the Seahawks ended due to his drinking. His dismissal from the Niners was eerily similar to his dismissal from Washington.

The guy seems to be a master at building a team, but his drinking issues are well documented.

I think his best role moving forward is going to be as a consultant. 

9 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Maybe that's what Irsay was talking about when he mentioned some arguments about some players selections. You don't want to argue with the boss. 

I missed that, where'd you see that at?

With the draft over, Colts G.M. Chris Ballard is telling some of his college scouts their services will no longer be needed.

Colts director of college scouting T.J. McCreight and others in the scouting department have been fired, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

Former Colts G.M. Ryan Grigson hired McCreight shortly after Grigson took over the front office in 2012, and it’s no surprise that Ballard doesn’t want to keep Grigson’s guys around.

The Colts are the second team to make significant change in their personnel department today, with the Bills firing G.M. Doug Whaley and others in their scouting department

Just now, Myles said:

Seems to make sense.   It sure would have been a good job to have. 

I'll give you a tryout after Ballard hires me. I have high expectations though, so you better produce. I'm currently batting 1.000 in the first round since the Luck era began.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'll give you a tryout after Ballard hires me. I have high expectations though, so you better produce. I'm currently batting 1.000 in the first round since the Luck era began.

Just assign me to scout the lower level college players.   I'll find you a couple gems.  Plus I will have a great time during college football season.  A young female assistant right out of college would be appreciated too.  

Yeah, it sucks, but it is the right thing to do long term, for not just Ballard but also the scouts so that they can get a footing somewhere else probably easily after the last 2 good looking drafts of the Colts, IMO.

This also may send the message to Pagano that he may not have the luxury of barely making the playoffs as a wild card, he most likely has to win the division and a playoff game to keep his job, IMO. Ballard may very well have Dave Toub in his mind but it is purely up to Pagano and his staff to not provide too many cracks Ballard may latch on to should things head south. Ballard doesn't have an allegiance to Pagano either, that fact should not be lost on us, which also helps him objectively evaluate him after this year.

It also tells you that you can have the same set of scouts that gather information on CBs but then Grigson may put a premium on speed while Ballard may put a premium on height and physicality over speed. The scouts' eventual draft contributions definitely hinge on the GM that pulls the trigger based on their information.

18 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

Yea, I was going to say, it would have been a colossal nightmare to fire them before the draft, because you can't just bring in new personnel before the draft and expect them to come up with an accurate draft board for their new team on such short notice.

CLE did that last year...but that was reportedly more about disagreement over Wentz. I don't think their draft was a disaster though...as Coleman, Ogbah and Nassib all look like promising players.

But it would have definitely been unusual if Ballard did it.

4 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Are you crazy?! Griggles the monkey is replacing all the scouts! Out they go, he will get full control!

Looks like we got rid of one "Grig"gles to get another then. :) 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Looks like we got rid of one "Grig"gles to get another then. :) 

I like the shuffle at this time.   Gives Ballard a chance to put his own choices in place with allot of time to scout before next year.  

25 minutes ago, Zalazar Elijahh said:

If Ballard was able to have this much success in a draft with a bunch of grigson-ites which he clearly didn't really want to work with just imagine how our drafts will go in the future when Ballard his all his guys in place :) 

I would have to do some more research but I think there were some scouts that were here before Grigson was hired. So calling them Grigson-ites is not correct.

This blaming Grigson for everything from the great flood to the plague is getting old.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, it sucks, but it is the right thing to do long term, for not just Ballard but also the scouts so that they can get a footing somewhere else probably easily after the last 2 good looking drafts of the Colts, IMO.

This also may send the message to Pagano that he may not have the luxury of barely making the playoffs as a wild card, he most likely has to win the division and a playoff game to keep his job, IMO. Ballard may very well have Dave Toub in his mind but it is purely up to Pagano and his staff to not provide too many cracks Ballard may latch on to should things head south. Ballard doesn't have an allegiance to Pagano either, that fact should not be lost on us, which also helps him objectively evaluate him after this year.

It also tells you that you can have the same set of scouts that gather information on CBs but then Grigson may put a premium on speed while Ballard may put a premium on height and physicality over speed. The scouts' eventual draft contributions definitely hinge on the GM that pulls the trigger based on their information.

IMO hiring new scouts has exactly zero to sending a message to Pagano.

Making an issue of Pagano at this point of the year is useless. Only time will hold the answers to Pagano.

48 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I would have to do some more research but I think there were some scouts that were here before Grigson was hired. So calling them Grigson-ites is not correct.

This blaming Grigson for everything from the great flood to the plague is getting old.

It is fair if these were the same scouts who Grigson allowed to feed him info so he could make the lousy choices he made.   Grigsons tenure was so bad that cleaning house is more of a positive than a negative.   Ballard has been stellar so far with his signings and this draft.   Only time will tell, but it seems like the Colts have made great strides.  

22 hours ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

He definitely had a drinking problem as it is well documented during his time in SEA and SF. However, after hearing what the players had to say about him during his time in Washington I find it hard to believe that it was drinking that led to his firing.

On 5/1/2017 at 4:45 PM, crazycolt1 said:

No it's not. It's actually spot on

3 hours ago, Zalazar Elijahh said:

No it's not. It's actually spot on

Yep, just continue to whine about old news at this point. Grigson has paid for his lack of finding talent at a few positions. But yet we still have some very good players he did bring in including last years draft. Ballard made one move on the offensive line and made the statement he really liked what Grigson did do with the offensive line last season.

Had Grigson made those moves one year earlier he would still be here.

On April 30, 2017 at 7:09 PM, NewColtsFan said:

A number of posters have said it,  but I'd like to echo the thought.....

This is NOT a surprise....     I posted this shortly after Ballard was hired and I think a few others did as well.

This is the business.     It's ugly and not away fair....     the guys we have will likely land on their feet elsewhere,  but it's hard on their families.       Selling a home,  pulling kids out of school,   separating them from the friends they made --- all of it.      It sucks.      But,  it's the business.

Ballard is entitled to bring in his own staff.     And you typically make the change right after the draft,  not when you're hired.      As others noted here,  you're in the middle of draft season --- bad time to move around.

Do it now.   Do it as quickly and quietly as possible and move on...

A well written post that encapsulates the new GM situation perfectly NCF. Your last sentence is the best one to close your thesis. Make the change swiftly & quickly to curtail resentment & propel the franchise forward as soon as possible. 

Here's a tracker of scout and personnel movements:

http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/front-office/2017/05/01/dan-hatmans-2017-nfl-scout-movement-tracker/

According to this the staff we've released and acquired so far are the following:

Title Moving On Moving In
General Manager Ryan Grigson Chris Ballard (KC)
Vice President of Football Operations Jimmy Raye III  
Director of College Scouting TJ McCreight (PHI)  
Area Scout (Mid-Atlantic) Ahmad Russell  
College Scouting Coordinator None Kyle Childress (KC)