Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thank You to the City of Philadelphia!!

NewColtsFan

What a draft!     What a weekend!      What a great 3 days!

Reportedly,  250,000 people and it was so much more than anyone could ever hope for!!

I thought Chicago did a great job for the last two years that they hosted.      But Philly?     Wow,  just so much fun!

There are reports that fans from all 32 NFL cities showed up.      The hotels were completely booked up.     The Miami Marlins baseball team was in town to play the Phillies and even they couldn't get enough rooms.     So, they stayed at a hotel in Delaware,  30 miles away!!      Incredible!

The most enjoyable draft I've ever watched,   and not just because Chris Ballard CRUSHED it in his first ever draft!        It was just so flipping fun!

And the announcers,  both for the NFL Network and ESPN couldn't say enough good things about it.

I hope Philly gets another year of hosting before it moves on!       Bravo, Philly!    Bravo!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000804919/article/philadelphia-has-record-attendance-for-2017-nfl-draft

I apologize if this has already been mentioned in another thread, but Rich Eisen on NFL Network when he mentioned all the odd coincidences shortly after Forrest Lamp was drafted was very next level. 

Lamp was drafted by the Chargers, "Lights Out" AKA Shawn Merman read his name at the podium; & a dude in that very Philly building where the draft was held did something significant regarding the invention of electricity. 

I even backed up my DVR player twice to hear Rich repeat that clever response too. 

I also got a kick out of Mike Mayock getting upset over Rich & the gang on the NFL Network set wanting to keep going back to that Orange orangutan pushing that touch screen at the Indianapolis Zoo & then Rich throws in an "Every Which Way But Loose" Clint Eastwood movie reference. Bah! Ha! Ha! I've never seen Charles laugh so hard either. 

I hated that stupid rant over how great the Dallas Cowboys were. Man, I detest the bleeping Cowboys! America's Team my caboose! Who just won the SB again? Oh yeah, NE. The Cow Girls last won a Lombardi Trophy in 1995, the 20th Century. Shut the you know what up Lone Star fans. Sorry, but you must win a title within 5 yrs to be respected Dallas. Just saying. 

25 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I apologize if this has already been mentioned in another thread, but Rich Eisen on NFL Network when he mentioned all the odd coincidences shortly after Forrest Lamp was drafted was very next level. 

Lamp was drafted by the Chargers, "Lights Out" AKA Shawn Merman read his name at the podium; & a dude in that very Philly building where the draft was held did something significant regarding the invention of electricity. 

I even backed up my DVR player twice to hear Rich repeat that clever response too. 

I also caught the wise * remarks about Indy and their use of their zoo to make their picks.

34 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I also caught the wise * remarks about Indy and their use of their zoo to make their picks.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that INDY's picks usually occurred around commercial breaks, which meant that our selections were rarely even discussed. Mike went a little bananas on his Philly love too. I know he lives there, but everything was Philly this & Philly that. He did slam that MSNBC Business reporter who massacred their fly eagle fly anthem though in his own way that I found amusing. 

Look, I still love Mike as a draft analyst & I know that INDY will never get the love like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, & the City of Brotherly Love will from Mayock & it's okay to me. I know my favorite teams to watch: INDY, NY Giants, NE, Denver; GB; & New Orleans because Sean Payton is so innovative on offense. 

Can I ask a question? Is it wrong of me for Make A Wish Foundation recipients to think a little bigger after surviving cancer? If it's what you really want--To introduce a draft pick cool. I just would aim higher or bigger I guess. You know maybe meet a famous band or take in a show with back stage passes. To each their own, I guess. Reading a name off a card as your dying wish or miraculous recovery wish feels like small potatoes to me. 

I also liked when Mike joked that Howie Long was too dumb to get accepted into Boston College & then Howie texted Mayock back right away within seconds comically hazing him. Howie is the best man! I will never say a bad word about the Long Family. I revere them too darn much. 

16 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that INDY's picks usually occurred around commercial breaks, which meant that our selections were rarely even discussed. Mike went a little bananas on his Philly love too. I know he lives there, but everything was Philly this & Philly that. He did slam that MSNBC Business reporter who massacred their fly eagle fly anthem though in his own way that I found amusing. 

Look, I still love Mike as a draft analyst & I know that INDY will never get the love like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, & the City of Brotherly Love will from Mayock & it's okay to me. I know my favorite teams to watch: INDY, NY Giants, NE, Denver; GB; & New Orleans because Sean Payton is so innovative on offense. 

Can I ask a question? Is it wrong of me for Make A Wish Foundation recipients to think a little bigger after surviving cancer? If it's what you really want--To introduce a draft pick cool. I just would aim higher or bigger I guess. You know maybe meet a famous band or take in a show with back stage passes. To each their own, I guess. Reading a name off a card as your dying wish or miraculous recovery wish feels like small potatoes to me. 

I been to Philly a bunch of times and I found nothing brotherly about it.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I been to Philly a bunch of times and I found nothing brotherly about it.

Sorry to hear that your Philly experience was not a pleasant one CC1 my friend. I've never been there myself. All I know is this: Philadelphia is a cool historical city like Boston with a great colonial vibe & their fan bases are smart & really know their football. When Eagles faithful turned on HC Chip Kelly, I found it very fascinating. I say that because the fans knew Chip was insane with his high tempo offense than wore out his D by the middle of the 3rd quarter. I just really respect sharp as a tack football fanbases. I always have. INDY knows her football & so does Chicago too. Man, the Windy City goes from Cutler to Trubisky at QB: OUCH!

45 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I also got a kick out of Mike Mayock getting upset over Rich & the gang on the NFL Network set wanting to keep going back to that Orange orangutan pushing that touch screen at the Indianapolis Zoo & then Rich throws in an "Every Which Way But Loose" Clint Eastwood movie reference. Bah! Ha! Ha! I've never seen Charles laugh so hard either. 

I hated that stupid rant over how great the Dallas Cowboys were. Man, I detest the bleeping Cowboys! America's Team my caboose! Who just won the SB again? Oh yeah, NE. The Cow Girls last won a Lombardi Trophy in 1995, the 20th Century. Shut the you know what up Lone Star fans. Sorry, but you must win a title within 5 yrs to be respected Dallas. Just saying. 

We are all aware of your hate at the Cowboys but I found Drew's rant pretty funny. It was directed at Philly and their disrespectful fans. The Eagles have always been in the shadow of the Cowboys and it's fans have been more than rabid directed at the Cowboys including cheering Cowboy players getting injured. Add that to the fact the Eagle fans throwing ice balls at the opposing teams players and bench.

24 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

We are all aware of your hate at the Cowboys but I found Drew's rant pretty funny. It was directed at Philly and their disrespectful fans. The Eagles have always been in the shadow of the Cowboys and it's fans have been more than rabid directed at the Cowboys including cheering Cowboy players getting injured. Add that to the fact the Eagle fans throwing ice balls at the opposing teams players and bench.

You might be right CC1. My animosity for the Blue Star might be tainting my objectivity here. I do like Dak Prescott though. A good kid who works his tail off. I might deplore the franchise he plays for, but I do admire tenacity & due diligence. Dak's impossible not to like even for me. Okay, if I'm being honest, I do like Troy Aikman as a broadcaster booth guy on FOX now. Although, when he played, I loved seeing Steve Young & the Niners beat Emmitt Smith & Micheal Irvin in games though. God, that was freaking awesome! 

I can't condone any team cheering another squads injuries ever. You will never hear me do that ever. Having said all that, I still want both BIG Blue Easy E & Carson Wentz to demolish the Jerry Jones boy band club as often as possible this yr. I know; I know; they will still win 10 games this year. Blue & Green are great, but silver must die & miss the playoffs. Overkill? Yeah, I know. You're point being? LOL! 

Here's another thing I wondered about today:

Was it really necessary for the Cardinals mascot to be at the Grand Canyon this weekend for moral support welcoming new AZ players? Those head pieces get sweltering hot super fast with no ventilation in them at all. 

How long do cheerleaders have to wait for the cameras to roll & shake their pom pom's & smile? The scenery is nice of course for fans, but there has to be a ton of down time. 

Do parents ever drop their little ones off at play 60 events & say to themselves do I really wanna retrieve them later on? Hmmm....Just Joking! Adults need their fun zones too you know with drinks & silence. 

How come no female interest groups have demanded that the NFL invoke Title 9 & allow male cheerleaders in tight outfits for loyal lady professional football fans? 

[It's late & I'm in a strange mood. SW1 is just goofing around.]

You know how podium announcers during the draft always claim that their city has the best fans in the world? 

Just as a change of pace, it would be mildly funny to hear a presenter say at an air base or something say wow, you guys assembled here filled out the first four rows! That's more then our stadium usually gets. No wonder why our team never gets shown on local state TV. Go figure. 

It's like the cartoon character on the 'Simpsons' TV show who's hot plate broke with only 1 more payment to go before he actually owned it. 

John Cleese from Monty Python should do the gag as a joke & see if anybody laughs out loud. Yeah, I know it's twisted. That's why it would be hilarious. 

I thought that Drew Pearson was great! Giving it back to the Eagles fans. I was getting tired of the "Fly, Eagles, fly" song, so they deserved this.

I noticed that the analysts didn't spend much time on the Colts' draft picks, but it didn't upset me. Ballard did a good job with the picks, so the analysts' opinions didn't much matter. Mayock didn't like the orangutan picking the players, but it was entertaining to me. Some people thought it was disrespectful to the players, but I don't agree. I really don't think the players cared who announced the picks; they were happy just to be chosen!

SW, since you brought it up, no it's not wrong to wonder about the Make-A-Wish Foundation recipients thinking bigger. It's just something that wouldn't interest you.  Everyone has different dreams and goals; what one person likes holds no interest for someone else. That being said, I can understand someone's wish wanting to announce a draft pick; it's something I would like to do. I've always wanted to attend the NFL draft (didn't work out for me to attend the Chicago ones), and announcing a pick would be amazing!

Overall, this was a very good draft, and I enjoyed watching it. I've never been to Philadelphia, but it looks interesting.

On 4/30/2017 at 1:19 AM, southwest1 said:

Here's another thing I wondered about today:

Was it really necessary for the Cardinals mascot to be at the Grand Canyon this weekend for moral support welcoming new AZ players? Those head pieces get sweltering hot super fast with no ventilation in them at all. 

How long do cheerleaders have to wait for the cameras to roll & shake their pom pom's & smile? The scenery is nice of course for fans, but there has to be a ton of down time. 

Do parents ever drop their little ones off at play 60 events & say to themselves do I really wanna retrieve them later on? Hmmm....Just Joking! Adults need their fun zones too you know with drinks & silence. 

How come no female interest groups have demanded that the NFL invoke Title 9 & allow male cheerleaders in tight outfits for loyal lady professional football fans? 

[It's late & I'm in a strange mood. SW1 is just goofing around.]

No male cheerleaders. They can cheer in the Langerie Football League if they want. Stay away from the NFL, lol.

I think Indy would do a great job hosting the draft, IMO. 

Being affordable may also factor into fans of other teams being here for the fan experience. Hey, we brought a bit of fan experience into the combine of all events, so I am sure we will do a great job if the NFL draft were to be held here.

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

I think Indy would do a great job hosting the draft, IMO. 

Being affordable may also factor into fans of other teams being here for the fan experience. Hey, we brought a bit of fan experience into the combine of all events, so I am sure we will do a great job if the NFL draft were to be held here.

I agree. Indy's downtown compares with any major city. The Super Bowl showed we can put on a great venue for fans.

Maybe use Bankers Life Fieldhouse?