Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

List of the Colts UDFA's and tryouts. (Post all news or links in this thread)

MTC

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, K-148 said:

Wow! 

Make no mistake about it, Zane Gonzalez’s 2016 season was one of the most impressive ever put together by a college kicker. His booming leg makes him a candidate to come off the board by the end of Day 2.

Looks like another steal! :banana:

Chris Landry on Colts UDFA-

"Colts signed North Carolina WR Bug Howard. Howard (6’4/221) arrived at UNC as a decorated high school recruit, only to labor through his first three seasons before breaking out for a 53-827-8 (15.6 YPR) senior-year receiving line with Mitch Trubisky at quarterback. Howard was the Heels’ primary perimeter weapon with Ryan Switzer vacuuming targets in the slot. Howard is powerfully built with long arms (33 1/8″) and huge hands (10 3/8″). He managed a 4.58 forty at the Combine, but excelled in the vertical (37 ½”) and three-cone drill (6.95). Not a separation receiver, Howard will have to earn his NFL keep as a contested-catch winner and possession target."

"Colts signed Washington TE Darrell Daniels. Daniels (6’3/247) made 18 starts in four years as a Huskie, managing a career 47-728-5 (15.5 YPR) receiving line and earning honorable mention All-Pac 12 as a senior. Daniels had just two career drops. Although Daniels never reached 20 catches in a college season, he is an elite athlete for the position with 4.55 speed and long arms (34 ½”). Daniels also played special teams throughout college, which should help his bid for an early-career roster spot. Recruited to Washington as a wideout, Daniels offers developmental upside as a “move” tight end."

UDFA signing list-

Indianapolis Colts

Dalton Crossan, RB, New Hampshire
Darrell Daniels, TE, Washington
Trey Griffey, WR, Arizona
Thomas Hennessy, LS, Duke
Chris Muller, OG, Rutgers
Rigoberto Sanchez, K, Hawaii
Garrett Sickels, DE, 3-4 OLB, Penn State
Phillip Walker, QB, Temple

Here's a sheet with Colts UDFAs athletic numbers(RAS is a one-number measure of athleticism similar to SPARQ, 5 is average... seems like both big WRs we got have pretty good athleticism, also, the RB Dalton Crossan and CB Justin Gibbons has measured really well):

C-7v4zcWsAA_8Sx.jpg

Worth pointing out - Justin Gibbons is a HUGE CB... he's 6'5". He has background in track and field.

Gibbons is an interesting prospect to me. Very unique size. Ran 4.45 at his Pro Day. It will be awesome to see a guy like that make the team. We need all the corner depth we can get our hands on.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

Gibbons is an interesting prospect to me. Very unique size. Ran 4.45 at his Pro Day. It will be awesome to see a guy like that make the team. We need all the corner depth we can get our hands on.

Yeah... you don't get this type of size and quickness in one body usually. I don't know what his game is like. He's probably extremely unrefined. It will be interesting to see if we can get him on our practice squad and coach him up for a year.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Yeah... you don't get this type of size and quickness in one body usually. I don't know what his game is like. He's probably extremely unrefined. It will be interesting to see if we can get him on our practice squad and coach him up for a year.

He's got some tape on YouTube but it's so small schoolish it's hard to make a good determination.

Dalton Crossan's measures:

4.46 40, 6.84 3-cone, 4.06 shuttle, 35" vert, 10-2 broad at 5-11, 204

Pretty impressive.

I hope we get to see this guy in preseason, looks very shifty on tape and has good receiving skills. It would be good to get a talented feature back on the roster, Ferguson was disappointing last year. 

It's interesting to see among the signed UDFAs that we have added big, possession type of receivers - Bug Howard is 6'4", Jerome Lane 6'3", Trey Griffey 6'2". Add Aiken to that list. I thought this was a clear need for our roster last several years. We don't have big bodied receivers that present big and safe target for Luck to hit on 3d and 8. Lets see if any of them raises to the top and gets a contract.

The one player that looks very interesting to me is Jhaustin Thomas. The little there is of him on youtube he looks like a football player, big, strong, athletic ... his frame looks great and he moves very well. His athleticism according to RAS is well above average, too. Just look at him:

At first sight he looks like a football player. Unfortunately I don't have any real tape(only this highlight video), so I can't say what his weaknesses are and why his numbers look so pedestrian. Here is a scouting report by Tony Pauline on him:

http://draftanalyst.com/jhaustin-thomas

Jhaustin Thomas

Defensive tackle (I think he will be DE in our scheme)

School: Iowa State | Conference: BIG 12
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6-5.5 / 284 | 40: 4.94 | DRAFT YR:2017

Bio: 
Junior college transfer who started one season at Iowa State. Made six starts in 2016 and was named Second Team All-Big 12, recording 23 tackles (9.5 for loss), three sacks and one interception. Made 15 tackles (2.5 for loss) with one sack as a junior in 2015.
Positives: 
Junior college transfer who displayed flashes of dominance the past two seasons. Athletic, explosive and moves well. Strong, keeps his feet moving and knocks blockers back with terrific hand punch. Quick off the snap, possesses a closing burst and attacks assignments. Nicely redirects or changes direction and brings ball carriers down in the open field. Flashes the ability to stand up tackles and disrupt the action.
Negatives: 
Gets tall and does not play with proper pad level, making himself an easy target for opponents. Struggles getting off blocks and must develop more moves.
Analysis: 
Thomas is an athletic freak who has flashed dominance the past two seasons but must improve his fundamentals. He comes with a tremendous amount of upside potential and offers possibilities at defensive tackle or as a two-gap end. Thomas is a solid developmental prospect who should get consideration on a practice squad.

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Is Gibbons actually with us?  I don't see his name on this list

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Who-Are-The-Colts-18-Undrafted-Free-Agents-In-2017/6fa0bf30-eb66-4ab8-bbc8-ab7a8f7c31a8

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Hm, I don't know. That's weird. Several days ago the kid retweeted stuff on his twitter account about him being with the Colts, but maybe things changed since then.

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

Hm, I don't know. That's weird. Several days ago the kid retweeted stuff on his twitter account about him being with the Colts, but maybe things changed since then.

I guess so

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

there's this article also

Woodland’s own Justin Gibbons signs an undrafted free agent contract with Indianapolis Colts

http://www.dailydemocrat.com/article/NI/20170501/SPORTS/170509984

Don't know why he's not on the Colts official UDFA list.   Head Scratcher.

Maybe he will be one of the tryouts, rather than on UDFA contract?

10 hours ago, krunk said:

there's this article also

Woodland’s own Justin Gibbons signs an undrafted free agent contract with Indianapolis Colts

http://www.dailydemocrat.com/article/NI/20170501/SPORTS/170509984

Don't know why he's not on the Colts official UDFA list.   Head Scratcher.

He retweeted this tweet today(after the Colts UDFA list was released):

My guess is, he's going to be one of the tryouts that don't get UDFA contract.