Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard

tvturner

14 minutes ago, Boomstick1 said:

He absolutely smashed the draft out of the park.

Loved most of his picks, and there was reasoning behind all of them.

Just feel Ballard has a chance to be a HOFer

Hold your horses. Ballard had a great offseason on paper, but let's see what happens on the field.

What I liked most about his draft is how much value he got out of his picks. He owes a little bit of draft capital to his predecessor (4th round comp pick), but having eight picks in the first 161 is strong draft capital. His trade back today maybe cost him a prospect (Howard Wilson seems like a Ballard corner), but it allowed him to get Marlon Mack, which is nice add for us. I think he showed a good command of his board.

I'm not thrilled with Banner or Walker, but we'll see how those picks shake out.

Of course, Hooker and Wilson represent great value, and those players sort of fell in his lap. 

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

What I liked most about his draft is how much value he got out of his picks. He owes a little bit of draft capital to his predecessor (4th round comp pick), but having eight picks in the first 161 is strong draft capital. His trade back today maybe cost him a prospect (Howard Wilson seems like a Ballard corner), but it allowed him to get Marlon Mack, which is nice add for us. I think he showed a good command of his board.

I'm not thrilled with Banner or Walker, but we'll see how those picks shake out.

Of course, Hooker and Wilson represent great value, and those players sort of fell in his lap. 

Banner will be interesting to watch, guy is a monster.

I don't follow college football in great detail, so I'm not expert on player evaluation.  Based on everyone joy today it looks like we did well.  I am more anxious about next year because our scouts will be in tune with Ballards expectations during the college football season instead of after like this year.

I liked all his picks except for Banner with top TEs still on the board. But as Superman said, he got great value with all his picks. No reaches that he tried to justify later like D'Juon Smith and TJ Green. With a full FA and draft under his belt, I feel like Ballard will be a great GM and rival Polian as the best Colts GM. That's high praise early but you can see the potential. So far, no bone headed moves or head scratchers.

I hope so.  Time will tell on the picks but I think we have two starters with the 1st two.  It will be interesting to see how much turnover there will be with the scouting dept now that it's over.  He had no choice but to go with what he had.  Could be an interesting summer in the FO. 

I think Ballard has done as good as what was available to him. He has filled the most of the glaring weaknesses in the roster by getting a NT and CB. He has added alot of depth which cant be understated. Hooker gives us a playmaker of D we badly needed. With regards to the other weak spots on the roster, pass rush and inside linebacker have been improved to an extent. Sheard and Basham can give us some pass rush maybe 8/5 sacks from Sheard/Basham with a couple from Simon on the strong side too. I think this will be the main focus next year. At inside linebacker and right guard, there was limited options. I think Walker/Jackson will start as the ILBs, still very vunerable in coverage hopefully Spence can make an impact. EDGE, RG, ILB and RB for next year (as long as we resign Vontae),

1 hour ago, Boomstick1 said:

Why don't we wait and see how they perform

1 hour ago, MTC said:

Hold your horses. Ballard had a great offseason on paper, but let's see what happens on the field.

You sound like Ballard when he said, "Now hold your horses, that's a HoF'er we're talking about." (About Malik Hooker compared to Ed Reed)

1 hour ago, Samu-Rye said:

I would like to jump for joy about this draft, and I am ecstatic about the picks. But while I am satisfied, i'm still cautiously optimistic. After all, I thought we were superbowl bound, when we drafted Jeff George. So what do I know?

I know what you're saying.....

......I thought we wee a playoff team last year....

....I think we have had two good drafts in a row...but 'winning the off-season' and 50 cents used to buy you a newspaper

Just now, ColtsBlitz said:

You sound like Ballard when he said, "Now hold your horses, that's a HoF'er we're talking about." (About Malik Hooker compared to Ed Reed)

I heard that.....I hope people stop saying this kid reminds them of Ed Reed....

......praise without putting a Hall of Fame name on it.

...say 'he could be the best safety in the draft' ...there's no pressure in that sentence

5 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I heard that.....I hope people stop saying this kid reminds them of Ed Reed....

......praise without putting a Hall of Fame name on it.

...say 'he could be the best safety in the draft' ...there's no pressure in that sentence

I hope one day people with understand what comparing means. Nobody is saying Malik hooker is going to be the next Ed Reed and exactly like Ed Reed in how he played football. They are just simply stating out of all the players who have played hooker style of play is like Ed Reed and this could be simply just from his ability to ball hawk like Ed Reed. Does not mean he is going to be Ed Reed. Its like for basketball people comparing brandon ingram to Durant simply just because of body types but people take it out of context and go crazy with it like someone is saying ingram going to eventually be a durant clone which is not the case. For hooker he simply can ball hawk and watch/guess what the QB is going to do like Reed the rest of their games could be completely different they will still make the compare because when its done hooker will be Malik Hooker and in 5 or 10-20 years he will draw comparison to other incoming propects which are only there to give people who don't have a clue about NFL propects an idea of the player their team just drafted. So please stop taking these compare things so seriously like they are saying Hooker is Reed's identical football twin cause they ain't!

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

On my scale of Bad, Below Average, Average, Above Average, Good, Very Good, and Great. I say this Colts Draft was Great. I really cant majorly complain about anything. I also thought Ballard's Free Agency was Very Good after he added Hankins.

Yeah, It seems that way. But the real truth we won't know for at least a few years whether this was a success. But what does everyone consider a success? How many have to pan out and how good do have to be? 

Ballard cleaned up Grigson's mess and quite possibly turned this franchise around in ONE off-season. If Ballard can bring in his guy to coach the Colts in 2018 and have another off-season to work with this franchise, the Colts could potentially be Superbowl contenders in 2018.

1 hour ago, I'm Negan said:

Ballard cleaned up Grigson's mess and quite possibly turned this franchise around in ONE off-season. If Ballard can bring in his guy to coach the Colts in 2018 and have another off-season to work with this franchise, the Colts could potentially be Superbowl contenders in 2018.

While I like your positive outlook lets be realistic. It has yet to be determined how this draft is going to turn out. As far as Grigson's mess as you call it, this roster is full of players brought in by Grigson and they will contribute to those wins you speak of.

2 hours ago, I'm Negan said:

Even Ballard has been cautioning everyone not to crown our draft picks superstars yet. I do like our outlook going forward but I am sure with all the new faces we will have an adjustment period. It might be the first 2 weeks, it might be the first 2 months, it might even be the whole first season. Also the possibility that our coaching staff might not be able to properly use or mold the players into what we need them to be. 

Put me down as cautiously optimistic for success in 2017. 

7 hours ago, I'm Negan said:

That would be nice.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  Another solid off season by Ballard would make them SB contenders in 2018 even with Pagano.  Changing the HC and bringing in all of his new coordinators and coaches  would actually push the timeline further back IMO.  I would rather see Chuck succeed and we all will be happier sooner.  

Agreed, that we must wait to see how these pick perform (if they make the team).  But on paper, this draft looks better than anything Grigson ever did.  My concern is taking Bannner.  Everything I have been able to find indicates he is like his baby's daddy; large, soft, and no passion for the game. 

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

While I like your positive outlook lets be realistic. It has yet to be determined how this draft is going to turn out. As far as Grigson's mess as you call it, this roster is full of players brought in by Grigson and they will contribute to those wins you speak of.

Grigson did create a, 'mess', one that will take time to overcome.  As to the, 'full' number of players he brought in, that is why the team was bad.  The purge of Grigson's mistakes has been an ongoing project. 

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Banner will be interesting to watch, guy is a monster.

I agree with your assessment of Banner; he will be 'interesting", until he is cut.  Everything I understand is that he is just like baby's daddy; large, soft, and no passion for the game. 

20 hours ago, rock8591 said:

IMO only pick I disagreed with is Nate Hairston. IMO should have gotten Isaac Asiata (G) instead. Would not have minded Nathan Peterman either, could have held onto him for 2 years, then trade him for a 3-4th rounder.

I would have liked Jordan Willis.

7 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Even Ballard has been cautioning everyone not to crown our draft picks superstars yet. I do like our outlook going forward but I am sure with all the new faces we will have an adjustment period. It might be the first 2 weeks, it might be the first 2 months, it might even be the whole first season. Also the possibility that our coaching staff might not be able to properly use or mold the players into what we need them to be. 

Put me down as cautiously optimistic for success in 2017. 

Exactly!

2 hours ago, nstra1025 said:

Grigson did create a, 'mess', one that will take time to overcome.  As to the, 'full' number of players he brought in, that is why the team was bad.  The purge of Grigson's mistakes has been an ongoing project. 

An 8-8 team is not near as bad as you claim it to be. There will be quite a few of present players on the roster that will stay on this roster. It is not all doom and gloom as you suggest.

23 hours ago, Boomstick1 said:

Let's not forget that it was just in 2012 that Ryan Grigson had what was described by ESPN at the time as the 9th greatest draft in the history of the NFL.

How did that draft eventually work out?

How did Grigson eventually work out.

All I'm saying is that Ballard is one mile in to a 26 Mile marathon....    let's not pronounce him the winner of the race at this point....

I also love his picks....      but let's see how they actually do on the field first....

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Let's not forget that it was just in 2012 that Ryan Grigson had what was described by ESPN at the time as the 9th greatest draft in the history of the NFL.

How did that draft eventually work out?

How did Grigson eventually work out.

All I'm saying is that Ballard is one mile in to a 26 Mile marathon....    let's not pronounce him the winner of the race at this point....

I also love his picks....      but let's see how they actually do on the field first....

True but the only reason why it was rated that high is because of the Luck pick and Luck was an instant success winning 11 games. Luck was an easy obvious choice. Take him out of the equation I doubt that Draft gets much love, TY was a steal of course.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

True but the only reason why it was rated that high is because of the Luck pick and Luck was an instant success winning 11 games. Luck was an easy obvious choice. Take him out of the equation I doubt that Draft gets much love, TY was a steal of course.

No.    Not at all.

That's not why a full draft is called the 9th best of all-time.

Otherwise,  where was the draft with Peyton Manning?      Not on the list.

The draft was rated highly because of the first six rounds...    So,  almost the total rundown of picks.     We're not talking about best player.      We're talking best draft.     Fleener and Allen were supposed to be better.   Hilton was great,  but we also go Chapman who was supposed to be a stud and than Ballard and Brazil were supposed to be key contributors.....  

This was about the entire draft,  not just one person...