Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

MIKE MAYOCK - SHAME on YOU!!!

18 hours ago, J@son said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/29/mike-mayock-doesnt-hide-his-contempt-for-drafts-circus-atmosphere/

I agree with mayock. He wasn't bashing the zoo..he was bashing the idea of announcing the pick from the zoo because it was taking focus off the players.

Bull****.  Then why did he say something like "they should show the world class zoo in Philadelphia"?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what's funny, after listening to Myles Garret talk (the 1st pick in this draft), I bet he would have been thrilled to have an orangutan announce him...or maybe someone dressed as a dinosaur.

I think the gripe against Mayock is that he didn't take the opportunity to voice his mind against a Walking Dead commercial, an advertisement for Vegas, an advertisement for a golf course, or a ex-player turning the entire announcement into an opportunity to troll another team, but rather voiced it against an organization dedicated to conservation and learning. If I understand correctly, the zoo was asked to do this. He should have bashed the overall idea of spectacle...not the orangutan/zoo. He might have a point that the focus needs to be more on the players, but he made his point in an unprofessional way. 

I'm kind of torn about this.  I think Mayock was being unprofessional because he didn't like all the extra stuff the NFL was doing to make the Draft more watchable (I guess?) on day 3, when most people have tuned out.  

While I agree with his sentiment, I think he should have waited until after the draft to voice his concerns to the NFL instead of complaining on set, on camera, in between segments.

He was caught a few times, when he didn't know he was LIVE, saying stuff like "THIS is good TV?" throughout day 3.  He didn't like the extra stuff, it wasn't just the pick from the Zoo, but I think the Orangutan "making" the pick kinda set him off.

He has a point, but he should have handled himself more professionally.

The whole thing backfired.  People that actually wanted to watch analysis of the actual picks had to change the channel or get on the internet.

People that were actually interested in the extra stuff, like the Indianapolis Zoo, got disrespected by an agitated analyst that just wanted to talk about the actual picks.

Lose-Lose situation for the NFL.

Definitely was a bad move letting the orangutan pick for the Colts. It was disrespectful to the players picked for us, and it made it seem like they were less important. What they should of done was have Irsay's daughter announce the pick with some orangutans behind her in the background in their natural habitat on a typical zoo day with tourists. That would of kept the integrity of the draft going and made the players look important. Now the players look like they are on the level of a orangutan, and it takes away from the importance and seriousness of the moment for them.

Can we all just relax.....

Mike Mayock didn't say anything wrong.    He just let it be known that he didn't like how we announced our picks.

Big deal.

His reasoning is sincere....   he thought it was disrespectful to the players who were being introduced by an orangoutang...        That's not a bad thing....

Chill.      Keep your powder dry....      all is good.

Enjoy what the Colts did in the draft....

My last comment.  I really enjoyed the draft this week.  Even with Mayock's antics, NFL Network was much better prepared than ESPN.

I loved Mayock when he covered ND Football.  I do not have a bad opinion of him as a person now.  Let the football season begin.  I need to hear some pads and helmets slamming together.  GO COLTS!!!!  

On 4/29/2017 at 3:12 PM, ztboiler said:

Mayock feels the significance of the life moment that it is for these mid to late round kids getting drafted.  I don't think he liked a monkey making the picks rather than a human announcing their name during one of the biggest events of their lives.  

In that respect, I can't say I blame him.  It was poorly thought out by the Colts.

The problem I have with that view is when they get down to the later round picks they don't even show people making the announcement they just have the text run across the bottom of the screen while they talk about other stuff.  

17 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

The problem I have with that view is when they get down to the later round picks they don't even show people making the announcement they just have the text run across the bottom of the screen while they talk about other stuff.  

TBH, in the later rounds - those picks come almost too fast to do much else.

He's a former player and analyst so, his opinion is bound to fall to the more traditional side.

Still, he works for the Network and that was their call.  In fact, NFL and the NFL network are dedicated to expanding the appeal of the game and that includes the draft and they've been pretty successful at it.  Lots of people watching that are not as interested in purely football only content.

And honestly, it does take a long time and there are a LOT of commercials and is made better by less strictly football only content.

I understand that it's a big day for the players.........it's a big day for them regardless of how it is announced or how many people are watching.  Why not make it completely private and solemn in deference to how serious it is? 

In the end, this is an entertainment business, that's why.

I hope our new players will go to the zoo and learn about how orangutans are endangered because of rain forest destruction.  I'm guessing they'd agree that they deserve to be more visible so that people understand.

2 hours ago, Nadine said:

He's a former player and analyst so, his opinion is bound to fall to the more traditional side.

Still, he works for the Network and that was their call.  In fact, NFL and the NFL network are dedicated to expanding the appeal of the game and that includes the draft and they've been pretty successful at it.  Lots of people watching that are not as interested in purely football only content.

And honestly, it does take a long time and there are a LOT of commercials and is made better by less strictly football only content.

I understand that it's a big day for the players.........it's a big day for them regardless of how it is announced or how many people are watching.  Why not make it completely private and solemn in deference to how serious it is? 

In the end, this is an entertainment business, that's why.

I hope our new players will go to the zoo and learn about how orangutans are endangered because of rain forest destruction.  I'm guessing they'd agree that they deserve to be more visible so that people understand.

Yes and I wonder myself if they  the players were offended at all ?

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 3:14 AM, weslo1812 said:

Yep I noticed this....it seemed that they tried to avoid talking about Colts picks. They really had no interest in discussing anything Colts. But they'd spend nearly 10 min discussing other teams picks and gushing about them.

That's been going on forever.