Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 2017 Draft Class

BlueShoe

Grover Stewart could possibly make the team. With so many teams high on him, he wouldn't be safe on practice squad..if we go with 7 DL on the roster (which i hope we do) then it could be the following players

K. Langford 

J. Hankins

H. Anderson

H. Ridgeway

A. Woods or D. Parry (whoever the coaches like more at the NT position)

T.Y Mcgill (i like his upside, good young player)

Grover Stewart 

I REALLY hope we keep 7 d lineman! We finally have good talent, and should be a very good competition between them in training camp. If any one of these guys are cut then we will not be able to get any of the younger guys back on our practice squad!! Especially Stewart and McGill. Plus Ballard has stated that we need to get younger (these guys fit that description).. IMO Hunt can go, after all this time he has yet to make any impact!! I wouldn't keep him over any of the people i mentioned. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I consider the first 5 picks as draft "bargains". The last 3 I would classify as scouting picks that I can't disagree with in any way. This is also the first time I can remember that none of the draft picks caused me any mental anguish. Great draft IMO.

Just now, gacker65 said:

How did we get second 5th round pick???????

Drafted 2 day 1 starters in Hooker and Wilson.  Rest are wait and see 

Traded down in the 4th round with San Fran. Picked Mack with the 4th we get from them, then used the 2nd 5th on Walker

Just now, gacker65 said:

With how the trades were going in rounds 1-3 and we got only a 5th, wow.

Because picks in rounds 1-3 are worth a lot more than picks in rounds 4-7. It was good value, and we picked up a decent ILB project out of the deal. Literally nothing to complain about.

1 minute ago, SkyBane said:

Because picks in rounds 1-3 are worth a lot more than picks in rounds 4-7. It was good value, and we picked up a decent ILB project out of the deal. Literally nothing to complain about.

Just strange.  Not worried about who we got

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

Pagano is supposed to be a DB whisperer so this could be a perfect draft for him to show what he can do too.

I hope Pagano has a few whispers of help for TJ Green as well. TJ was brought in for his unique traits. He needs a lot of development.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Not sure Stewart makes the team, it's the one position on D that we have decent depth.  

Overall, slam dunk draft CB!!!

He's a 4th rounder, no way they put him on the PS unless he pulls an Aaron Hernandez.

22 minutes ago, GoBlue12 said:

I hope Pagano has a few whispers of help for TJ Green as well. TJ was brought in for his unique traits. He needs a lot of development.

Grigson looked for unique traits as in size and speed. I liked how 

Ballard looks for unique traits on the field, along with the physical attributes. 

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

Okay, name the D lineman and who gets cut.  Not trying to argue, just trying to see how he fits.  

There's 9 DL on the roster now. We keep 7 as usual on the 53. Parry I am 100% sure will be cut. Hunt very likely as well due to low contract guarantees with almost no dead cap. He's also 30 soon, so won't be in our long term plans.

5 minutes ago, life long said:

Grigson looked for unique traits as in size and speed. I liked how 

Ballard looks for unique traits on the field, along with the physical attributes. 

I think one of the big takeaways is the big difference in evaluation over what we've seen in Indianapolis the last 15 years. Dungy ran a philosophy that ran on undersized but speedy players, and the Polians naturally drafted with that in mind. Grigson fell in to the Al Davis trap of falling in love with any guy who was really fast.

Ballard straight up said when he came in he valued size. Paraphrasing, he said something to the tune of "If a player is small, he better be a really special athlete." We see that in spades in this draft, lots of tall, strong dudes. Even the project players are just big dudes that lack polish (Banner, Hairston). It's a big shift in philosophy for this team, and it will be fun to see it play out.

9 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

There's 9 DL on the roster now. We keep 7 as usual on the 53. Parry I am 100% sure will be cut. Hunt very likely as well due to low contract guarantees with almost no dead cap. He's also 30 soon, so won't be in our long term plans.

I could see that.  I figured Parry was on thin ice, but I didn't see the other one.  

Of course, this is early, there will be injuries and we may even pick up someone later.  

So you have Langford, Ridgeway, Anderson, Hankins, Woods, Stewart and McGill?

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

I could see that.  I figured Parry was on thin ice, but I didn't see the other one.  

Of course, this is early, there will be injuries and we may even pick up someone later.  

So you have Langford, Ridgeway, Anderson, Hankins, Woods, Stewart and McGill?

Yep, more likely than not.

48 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Based off your many comments I've seen on this forum you clearly know nothing about football. 

Im sorry i dont have the knowledge and wisdom of the great Coltsfanforlife12. gt fo and let me express my opinion regardless of how s***** it may seem to you.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Don't sell Wilson or Mack short, both of those guys have Good, maybe Great Potential written all over them as well.

How anyone sleeps on a day 1 starter at CB2 in Wilson is beyond me. People need to stop being salty we didn't draft Bowser instead and realize what a great DB talent fell in our laps.

3 hours ago, TYtheMan13 said:

Grover Stewart could possibly make the team. With so many teams high on him, he wouldn't be safe on practice squad..if we go with 7 DL on the roster (which i hope we do) then it could be the following players

K. Langford 

J. Hankins

H. Anderson

H. Ridgeway

A. Woods or D. Parry (whoever the coaches like more at the NT position)

T.Y Mcgill (i like his upside, good young player)

Grover Stewart 

I REALLY hope we keep 7 d lineman! We finally have good talent, and should be a very good competition between them in training camp. If any one of these guys are cut then we will not be able to get any of the younger guys back on our practice squad!! Especially Stewart and McGill. Plus Ballard has stated that we need to get younger (these guys fit that description).. IMO Hunt can go, after all this time he has yet to make any impact!! I wouldn't keep him over any of the people i mentioned. 

I hope we keep a lot of D.Lineman because we can enter change them and never get our guys tired.

5 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I was surprised that it didn't save his job but glad it didn't.  This draft and the free agent moves is very impressive.  Lets hope they work out.

I don't know if we will know for a while or ever what the real deciding factor was is Grigson getting fires, but I'd make a guess that despite Grigson's promising effort to improve the O-line in his last year, the defense was just so desolate. There were a few GM candidates available with good backgrounds in building defenses. I think in the end Irsay felt it was best to take the opportunity to do something fresh.

5 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

It's going to be weird not posting negative things about the GM. This Ballard appears to not be screwing around at all, and I cannot wait for the 2018 draft lol

For perspective, I recall how all the fans anxious for Polian's ouster were so positive about Grigson and his first draft.  In fact, I seem to recall comments about how great it was that Grigson was turning over every rock to find talent for the team.

Now, in the wake of Grigson's much demanded dismissal, I have high hopes for Ballard, and am very optimistic about this draft, but I'll withhold judgement until I see these FAs, UDFAs and draft picks in action.

6 hours ago, GoBlue12 said:

Yeah, I think TJ is waiting for the light to light. He was definitely slow to recognize some plays last year. The kid is a rocket though, so I hope he is more comfortable with the defense this year. He can still be a great one.

3 hours ago, schwamm said:

For perspective, I recall how all the fans anxious for Polian's ouster were so positive about Grigson and his first draft.  In fact, I seem to recall comments about how great it was that Grigson was turning over every rock to find talent for the team.

Now, in the wake of Grigson's much demanded dismissal, I have high hopes for Ballard, and am very optimistic about this draft, but I'll withhold judgement until I see these FAs, UDFAs and draft picks in action.

Could not agree more. Have not seen your name on here for a while, good to see it again!