Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 2017 Draft Class

BlueShoe

Please Welcome the 2017 Colts Draft Class!

Overall Round Player Position College
15 1 Malik Hooker S Ohio St.
46 2 Quincy Wilson CB Florida
80 3 Tarell Basham EDGE Ohio
137 4 Zach Banner OT/G USC
143 4 Marlon Mack RB South Florida
144 4 Grover Stewart INT-DL Albany St. (GA)
158 5 Nate Hairston CB Temple
161 5 Anthony Walker Jr. ILB Northwestern

Nice looking group!

Good Job Ballard and company. :)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Samu-Rye said:

This is the first draft in a long time,where I am happy, with the results. Not one pick did I go, "Who?" or "Why?"

I liked Grigson's final draft for the most part.  Looks as though he drafted 3 starters for offensive line.

RB was not nearly a hole as people thought out to be with Turbin re-signed, plus blocking TEs are dime a dozen in the UDFA market since we have our 2 receiving TEs in Doyle and Swoope. 

CB cupboard was thin, so we brought a starter and valuable depth. Safety coverage improved considerably. Pass rush got some young rotational legs to start with at least. Our potential fifth round ILB seems like one that could be a solid starter in this league.

Colts didn't have to stretch themselves or reach since most players presented themselves with great value where they were drafted. The Banner and Stewart picks - I will trust they did their work but they sure focused on D and a bit on the trenches. RB was the only skill position picked. What a refreshing change from the Polian and Grigson days. 

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

I liked Grigson's final draft for the most part.  Looks as though he drafted 3 starters for offensive line.

I was surprised that it didn't save his job but glad it didn't.  This draft and the free agent moves is very impressive.  Lets hope they work out.

5 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I was surprised that it didn't save his job but glad it didn't.  This draft and the free agent moves is very impressive.  Lets hope they work out.

WRs are getting bigger, so the Dungy day CBs won't work anymore, Ballard knew from witnessing Tillman, Vasher, Eric Berry and Marcus Peters what our secondary needed, bigger DBs that can take the ball away. Our secondary under Dungy did not take the next step till Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden came along, who were our tallest CBs. Still, our scheme limited how well they could play. Big example was Tim Jennings, who was a new man in Chicago. It felt like we wasted the prime years of Peyton, Freeney, Mathis, thanks to a passive scheme on D. 

Now, Pagano is in the cross-hairs, he has the talent to work with right now, no excuses for 0-2 or 8-8.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Now, Pagano is in the cross-hairs, he has the talent to work with right now, no excuses for 0-2 or 8-8.

Pagano is supposed to be a DB whisperer so this could be a perfect draft for him to show what he can do too.

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

WRs are getting bigger, so the Dungy day CBs won't work anymore, Ballard knew from witnessing Tillman, Vasher, Eric Berry and Marcus Peters what our secondary needed, bigger DBs that can take the ball away. Our secondary under Dungy did not take the next step till Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden came along, who were our tallest CBs. Still, our scheme limited how well they could play. Big example was Tim Jennings, who was a new man in Chicago. It felt like we wasted the prime years of Peyton, Freeney, Mathis, thanks to a passive scheme on D. 

Don't expect too much too soon.  Colts can challenge for the afc south.

I LIKE THIS A LOT !!!!!>>>>>>>Saints Draft: Focus on Ohio University DE Tarell Basham by Roy Anderson1 week ago..... If the Saints do go for a double dip, or even a single, then Tarell Basham is a name on which Who Dat Nation should keep its collective eye.

The go-to for me with Tarell Basham is Ohio University’s 2016 matchup with Tennessee in Knoxville. For Basham: one sack, 1.5 tackles for loss and 4 tackles total. 

Basham  pulled off a sack going up against Western Michigan’s Taylor Moton in 2016.  Moton is one of the top rated tackles coming out in this draft.Tarell Basham has sleeper written all over him and it would behoove the Saints to give him a strong look

The last 3 days were the work of a real pro.    Chris Ballard hits a home run in his first draft!

Loved all the picks.....      no second guessing from me....

Now,  I'm going to sit back and watch and hope that the coaches can turn some of these prospects into professionals....

Thanks you Chris Ballard!!        :colts:

Hard to complain about this draft for the Colts. Sure some guys will not pan out but it's hard to argue with these picks.

Luckily for the Colts this was a good draft in some areas of need. They could sit back and truly (what seemed like) take who they thought was the best player available while still filling a need.

It's interesting to get a better sense of Ballard's philosophy for the roster. He clearly wanted guys with traits that stand out.  Banner is boom or bust imo. A guy like Hairston has desired size but there were more polished (but smaller) cornerbacks the Colts could have taken today. I'm not mad about this.

Thankfully Anthony Walker Jr appears to be an ILB who can play all three downs. Pagano seems to really like the big thumpers (like D'Qwell Jackson and Antonio Morrison) but this team needs guys who can hold up on third down. It looks like Walker has the potential to.