Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Grover Stewart, NT, Albany State

MTC

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/grover-stewart?id=2558766

BOTTOM LINE

Stewart's girth, power and potential could lead a team to take him on the third day as a developmental run-stuffer capable of playing on the nose or at three-technique. Stewart is still very raw, but additional technique work could unleash a much more capable interior defender as he has the traits. The jump in competition will take some time to adjust to, but like other small school interior defenders before him, Stewart has the potential to work himself into a more prominent role within the first two or three years.

Scouting report:

http://draftanalyst.com/grover-stewart

Grover Stewart

Defensive tackle

School: Albany State | Conference: D-IAA
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6-4.5 / 334 | 40: 5.11 | DRAFT YR:2017

Positives: 
Massive and dominant small-school defensive lineman who takes over games. Powerful, at times impossible to handle and gets tremendous push up the field. Overruns blocks, consistently penetrates the line of scrimmage and disrupts the action. Destroys one-on-one blocking, easily discards opponents and quickly gets to the ball handler to make the tackle. Displays good change of direction, moves well laterally and easily redirects to the ball carrier. Stays with the action, keeps his feet moving and is a secure open-field tackler.
Negatives: 
Gets tall on occasion and makes himself an easy target for opponents. Gets locked up in the blocks. Displays a limited array of moves trying to disengage from opponents. Must improve
Analysis: 
Stewart looks the part and played to it on the small-school level, dominating opponents and being a disruptive force. He possesses all the tools necessary to line up at defensive tackle in a four-man front, though he’ll need a bit of time to smooth out the rough edges. More than anything else, Stewart must improve his fundamentals.

I won't complain about young big guys drafted.

The other option is not addressing the line early and relying on udfa's or guys who bounce around the league.

Keep drafting D line Ballard, it'll pay off.

16 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Wanted Butt but mainly bc of the jersey but this is ok

Butt would make the team.   How does this kid make it?  (On D line)

Not being confrontational, I'm just curious who people think will make the roster and who gets cut?

6 minutes ago, cjrichard said:

Just when i thought CB was getting the best VALUE picks in the draft he passes on Butt and picks a guy that could have been picked in round 5.

Not excited about the pick.

Joseph

Dont be so sure of that. This guy had 24 personal visits with teams before the draft. Many were interested. Hes a beast

Chris Landry didn't do a detailed draft report on Stewart as he labeled him a "UDFA priority". But teams found out many others were interested as well and thus he wasn't going to last  past the draft to UDFA status  It became a who would take him, when.  Ballard pulled the trigger.  I hope he works out, a developmental diamond...

http://draftanalyst.com/da-draft-buzz-april-17-part-ii-small-school-defenders-shooting-boards

Here's the buzz about him from before the draft:

Two small-school defenders who have been mentioned numerous times here at Draft Analyst -- Grover Stewart of Albany State and Eastern Washington’s Samson Ebukam -- continue to receive a lot of attention in the lead-up to the draft. Here’s the latest.

It looks as though the final number for Grover Stewart will be 24; there have been 24 requests from NFL teams to either work him out or fly him in for an official visit.

To date we know of no other player with a number equal to Stewart’s.

The schedule has been so hectic that Stewart was able to accommodate just 20 of those requests, leaving teams such as the New York Jets and New York Giants -- who wanted to make him one of their 30 official visits -- out in the cold.

This week Stewart is visiting the Detroit Lions, Los Angeles Chargers and Seattle Seahawks.

Teams have been impressed with the strides the big defensive tackle has made since the end of the season. In our scouting report on Stewart, which will be posted in the coming days, we criticize him for playing tall and losing leverage on opponents. I’m told he’s been working with former NFL lineman Fred Robbins and that Stewart’s technique is light years ahead of where it was just four months ago.

Where will Stewart end up in the draft? We presently grade him as a fourth-round prospect, and in our most recent mock draft we have the Minnesota Vikings selecting him during that round. I’m told the combination of interest in Stewart being off the charts coupled with a weak defensive tackle class could push him into the third.

Not too shabby for a prospect who scouts thought would be lucky to receive an invitation to try out for a camp spot when the season started.

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:32 PM, Smonroe said:

Butt would make the team.   How does this kid make it?  (On D line)

Not being confrontational, I'm just curious who people think will make the roster and who gets cut?

Kendall Langford

Jonathan Hankins

Henry Anderson

Hassan Ridgeway

Grover Stewart

TY McGill

Al Woods

Cuts......

David Parry

Margus Hunt

I would like to see how Hunt would look as a 34 DE. He's already 30 and going into what? 4th? Or 5th year? But anyways. He's been out of position with Cincy playing mostly 43 DE when he even saw the field. He could be a perfect fit for a 34 DE, and have a big time, breakout year??? Who knows. I mean, most likely he'd still suck, but you never know, but I do think he's best suited as a 34 end personally, as do most.

Here's what I hope we do.

Kendall Langford

Johhanthan Hankins

Henry Anderson

Hassan Ridgeway

Grover Stewart

TY McGill

Margus Hunt.

Then somehow slip Parry on the PUP, and see what's happening after week 8. If we have a guy or 2 sucking it up  then bring him back, if everything's good, smooth, and everyone's playing well as they're supposed to then just leave him out, cut him, whatever. But he might have the potential to turn into a really good backup NT. BACKUP. Woods may be a bit better but he's 30 so.....Parry may have more upside in the long run. IDK on this one. Hard choice IMO, as I think Woods could be a solid backup/rotational NT next year. Will Parry improve???

Grover made the list of this year's draft sleepers by Justis Mosqueda(interestingly enough the Colts got several of his sleepers QB Phillip Walker( UDFA), Marlon Mack, RB, + Grover). Here's what he writes about Stewart:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2704527-2017-nfl-draft-who-are-this-years-biggest-sleepers

Grover Stewart, DL, Albany State

According to Mock Draftable's database, which stretches back to 1999, there are only four defensive linemen who are heavier than Albany State's Grover Stewart on the site. The difference between Stewart and, say, a Terrence Cody or a Daniel McCullers? First, the Division II prospect won't be overrated for playing in the Southeastern Conference, and second, he's much more athletic than those two monster nose tackles.

For a reference, here's what Stewart looks like when compared to Dontari Poe, B.J. Raji, Haloti Ngata and Brandon Williams, the top-100 freak nose tackles in this generation of football:

• Grover Stewart: 347 lbs, 7.71 3-cone
  • Dontari Poe: 346 lbs, 7.90 3-cone
  • B.J. Raji: 337 lbs, 7.90 3-cone
  • Haloti Ngata: 338 lbs, 7.97 3-cone
  • Brandon Williams: 335 lbs, 8.09 3-cone

Already, he seems to be a noted riser. Tony Pauline of Draft Analyst stated that there was an expectation that every NFL franchise would have a representative at Albany State's pro day. That usually doesn't happen at some Power Five schools, let alone a Division II school. Stewart was clearly a combine snub, as the league is interested.

The best comparison to Stewart's game is likely Akiem Hicks, a former LSU commit who never stuck and had to play football in Canada for Regina. He was the New Orleans Saints' first overall pick in the 2012 draft after the Bountygate scandal and recently recorded a suspiciously quiet seven-sack season with the Chicago Bears at 336 pounds.

• Grover Stewart: 6'4, 347 lbs, 7.71 3-cone
  • Akiem Hicks: 6'5, 318 lbs, 7.75 3-cone

Stewart is like Hicks, a freak athlete nose tackle playing against lower-quality opponents, but he's even thicker and more explosive.

I'm am certainly excited to see what, if anything, this big kid can do against top competition. The good sign is that a few other guys came from smaller schools have made the leap at this position. His size is not in question, only his technique and experiences. If he is a sponge to NFL coaching and can learn NFL schemes, there is absolutely zero reason why this kid can't become elite talent. 

Maybe this years Akeem Hicks if we're talking about ceiling. Maybe even.....LOL. I really like his potential. Its through the roof. So.... Here it is. Ngata. MAYBE. Maybe somewhere in between.

And PLEASE. Nobody say "That's what posters were saying about Huges". I never said that and it was dumb. This kid is uber talented. So quick and athletic for a kid his size. He could end up being a DE in our scheme and putting up 5-6-7 sacks a year and stuffing the run like Ngata in his prime.

Assuming Anderson gets back to his rookie year self and comes in balling out. I expect this. Stewart blossoms and reaches his gigantic potential by his 2nd year, Ridge taps into his potential which is also VERY high. I mean wow. In a couple years think about our DL. Stewart - Hankins - Anderson.........With Ridgeway, McGill, and a few more young guys rotating in and out. That's scary. Top 3 DL.

Some seem to forget or write off Hassan Ridgeway's potential. If he has stayed at Texas he'd been a 1st this year. I said before the draft last year he could end up being the best, if not one of the best DT's in this class. We have 3 young DT's with enormous potential. At the bottom is Ridge's draft profile. It wouldn't surprise me to see him come in this year and dominate, take over Langford's spot, and become a household name. Check this out in case you forgot.

Strengths

Dense, powerful lower half combined with burly upper body. Snap experience at multiple spots along the line. Explodes out of stance and into his downhill charge. Striking athletic ability for a big. Has some change of direction twitch. Sets hard edge with good punch and arm extension to deny blocker's intentions. Grows roots against double teams and fights hard for his spot. Defeats most single blocks. Has play power to step through a blocker's edges with little trouble. Plays with good recognition and quick discard capability to snap down on tackle opportunities. Talented interior pass rusher. Uses coordinated attack with violent active hands and nimble feet. Flashes power to push and quickness to disrupt.

Weaknesses

Conditioning has been an issue in the past. Plays hard, but gasses so may need plenty of rotational help. Despite athleticism, range as playmaker is a little limited. Will momentarily lose track of the ball when trying to impose his will on blocker in front of him. Stops flowing outside with play when looking back inside looking to make a play. Hounded by nagging injuries for much of the year. Was hindered by a back issue that arose before the season and then a shoulder injury later. Production didnt always match the talent on the tape.

Draft Projection

Round 2

Sources Tell Us

"He's more talented than Malcolm Brown was coming out but his conditioning and injuries worry you. With time and money will his weight balloon? Will he be motivated to work in the offseason? He would have benefited by going back to school." -- NFL general manager

NFL Comparison

Kawaan Short

Bottom Line

Ridgeway didn't put together as productive and flashy a junior campaign as he did a sophomore season, but that was due partially to nagging injuries. You can watch snap after snap and clear losses to the blocker are hard to find. Ridgeway has a rare combination of power and athleticism that give him the potential to impact the game on all three downs. His talent could make him the most impactful defensive tackle to come out of this draft, but his floor is lower than some due to concerns over health and conditioning.

So yeah. Think about the young talent/potential we have on this DL. Including Big Hank.

LOL. Ridge could have been a top 10 pick this year. So don't forget about him. Entering his 2nd year, we may have something special on our hands. I love where our team's headed. We'll be winning the division this year, and challenging for a SB next year.

15 hours ago, krunk said:

Big Boy!

temp2017_RookieMiniCamp_0512_077--nfl_me

4 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Looks very lean for 347 lbs. Not a huge belly at all.

Looks extremely well built. Great frame and wears those lbs seamlessly. Lets hope we can coach him up to the physical beast he can be.

BTW do you want an interesting athletic measurement comparison?

Grover Stewart vs second round Broncos pick Demarcus Walker

10 yard split: 1.73 vs 1.71

20 yard shuttle: 4.75 vs 4.71

3 cone drill: 4.71 vs 4.91

Oh and BTW Stewart is 70 pounds heavier.

I like the kid. Seems like he has been impressing in practice too. Not sure if he has the strength against elite level talent but he can work on that. With his height he will have to make sure he stays low and doesn't stand up too much especially with the fact that he will see double teams. I honestly have liked our offseason a lot this year. Couldn't be much happier. I worry about our opposite starting corner and I still think we could use an upgrade at the mike but we are building a nice team and we actually have some depth along both lines and that is refreshing as that seems to be where the injuries usually occur.

7 hours ago, stitches said:

Looks extremely well built. Great frame and wears those lbs seamlessly. Lets hope we can coach him up to the physical beast he can be.

BTW do you want an interesting athletic measurement comparison?

Grover Stewart vs second round Broncos pick Demarcus Walker

10 yard split: 1.73 vs 1.71

20 yard shuttle: 4.75 vs 4.71

3 cone drill: 4.71 vs 4.91

Oh and BTW Stewart is 70 pounds heavier.

Don't want to get ahead of myself here, but it would be nice if he could turn out to be like this guy one day.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/roster/Kris-Jenkins/e09dfe2e-16f8-44ab-a2f8-97fec4152b4d

9 hours ago, krunk said:

Don't want to get ahead of myself here, but it would be nice if he could turn out to be like this guy one day.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/roster/Kris-Jenkins/e09dfe2e-16f8-44ab-a2f8-97fec4152b4d

Hey, I'm down with that, krunk! :thmup:

On a related side note, it will be interesting to follow how well Ballard's prospects develops compared to the Grigson era. Very few Grigson prospects on defense panned out well, hopefully Ballard will be better at getting guys that have a higher probability rate of success. 

The position coaches on defense have their work cut out with all the new guys. They are not going to see much of their families this offseason, that is for sure. :bossy: