Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Marlon Mack, RB, South Florida (Merge)

BlueCollarColts

9 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Mack just doesn't do it for me.  I know a lot of Colts fans really like him.  I see his speed and home run ability.  But for me I don't think he is big enough to sustain the pounding of the NFL over time.  Not a real threat running between the tackles.  Can be neutralized by elite defenses as he was when facing Florida State earlier this year.  I don't see him as the heir apparent to Gore but more of a change of pace back.  Assuming the Josh Ferguson role if you will but hopefully more effective at it.  We will still likely be in the market to find a Gore replacement next off season.  With the potential talent at RB available in this year's draft I'm kinda bummed this was the best guy we could get.  It is what it is.  I really liked our draft overall though.  Can't fix everything in one off season.

He's the exact height - 5"11"...and weight - 213/214  that Addai was....I don't know how good he'll be, but size should not be a problem....

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, twfish said:

I'm about as big of an optimist and as patient as there can be on our draft picks and even our udfa's. But I'm just holding back absolutely any optimism on this kid. I enjoy his tape but I've just been burned out on low draft picks of udfa's who I really thought could do something like josh Robinson, josh Ferguson, Tyler Vargas, vick Ballard (even though he had a good rookie year) I'm at a wait and see with this guy having any emotions for him on reserve. I really really want him too succeed and I think he's got the tools to do it but I'm not holding my breath.

I think there is quite a difference between a 4th round back like Mack vs UDFA josh ferguson/Tyler varga and 6th rounder josh Robinson.  It's not like the colts got there big production from Donald brown who was a 1st rounder.

On 4/30/2017 at 0:21 PM, SP_21 said:

I love his patience behind the line of scrimmage. He will wait for a hole to develop then plant his foot and get up field. I think his inside vision is outstanding.  

I'm not saying you are wrong, but this is contrary to what every single scouting report on this kid says.

On 4/29/2017 at 3:43 PM, krunk said:

With the addition of Marlon Mack I'm hoping the stretch play comes back to Indy. I miss the good ole days. The Peyton Edgerrin stretch play was always a staple of our offense. Hope to see it come back with Luck and Mack.

I remember a while back Colts letting it be known out there they were considering moving toward a Zone Blocking system than power / Man scheme.  Truth is, we could well be using both now.  Pep was a power run scheme guy, and Philbin is a Zone blocking guy, as demonstrated by a lecture of his at the 2008 C.O.O.L. Clinic. in here for those that like to order such stuff-

https://coacheschoice.com/p-123-2008-offensive-line-coaches-handbook-featuring-lectures-from-the-2008-cool-clinic.aspx

I think we can now run both, Outside Zone (Stretch / ZBS) as much as inside zone.  I think I read in Pat Kirwan's book "Take your Eye's Off the Ball 2.0 that is the guard pulls, your angle blocking rather than covered / uncovered zone blocking.

On 4/29/2017 at 3:47 PM, ricker182 said:

That requires a good, athletic OLine.

True, but versatile as well.  I think the rage in NFL today is hybrids.  Running 40 and 30  fronts with different looks on defense and varying from ZBS to power/man scheme on O.

Alex Gibbs was the patriarch of the Outside Zone.  Here's some of his incredible videos i lucked upon-

http://bit.ly/2pTIYZO

Mack will do well. I've watched enough film to be fairly certain of. He can go inside zone or outside. Hes done a number of things. Just love those quick feet and long speed. Just tighten up 3 things. Pass blocking, ball security and add some strength. Got a really good back if he does those 3. No question on the skill set.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

Mack will do well. I've watched enough film to be fairly certain of. He can go inside zone or outside. Hes done a number of things. Just love those quick feet and long speed. Just tighten up 3 things. Pass blocking, ball security and add some strength. Got a really good back if he does those 3. No question on the skill set.

He does go east-west a tad more than north-south, that would need to be corrected against NFL speed. I want him to do well but whenever I have watched him against elite competition or even in his bowl game, he didn't jump out to me. Take it for what it is worth. The versatility and skill set is there but contrary to what people think, I do not think he is ready to contribute as anything more than a breather back at this point (maybe tops 10 carries a game with an average in the 5-10 range) till he gains strength and improves the weaknesses you talked about.

To me, he'd be like Tevin Coleman who may need year 2 before breaking out with significant contributions on offense.

funny to read the takes on this thread.  He's anywhere from Earl Campbell to LaMichael James according to who you ask.  LOL.

My take:  Great athlete, with good speed and quick moves.  That's all you are getting.  He's very raw as a runner and will need a lot of work to be a regular option in the NFL.  Bad signs:  does not see the lanes developing between the tackles, so he too often bounces outside abandoning the designed play.  He wants to go east-west, not north south. He can get away with it in college, but he will not (for long) in the NFL. Too much speed at the next level. I read somewhere that his OL got a lot of holding flags, which is consistent with what I am seeing.  When an RB abandons the play, the OL is not in position to block so they hold to slow down defenders.  He also plays with a high pad level...which also explains his fumbling issues.  The ball is just too exposed when he runs.  Needs to learn to lower the pads.  Eric Dickerson got away with running so high because of his size.  Few others can.

The good thing?  He's got Gore ahead of him to learn from.  Kendall Hunter was behind Gore at the 49ers and he had some of the same issues as Mack, but over two years, you could see Hunter start to develop a feel for inside running with proper pad levels.  Hopefully, Mack is open to learning.  He's got the tools.

On 4/29/2017 at 3:37 PM, masterlock said:

Judging from his highlight reel, it looks like he already knows enough to be dangerous.

I know it's a highlight reel and all, but I can tell this kid is going to be something special. He takes great angles and uses his blockers well. Plus he has that nice burst of speed to get around the edge. I'm stoked to watch him on Sunday.

Mack is going to be a real nice ball player..  I'm pretty certain he will pan out. He's got just as much talent as any of the backs that were taken before him.  He just comes from a smaller school. 

I think I have pretty good eyes when it comes to running backs.  He's got a few things to work on, but I see no reason why it can't be addressed.