Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Zach Banner, OL, USC (Merge)

BlueShoe

2 hours ago, stitches said:

This is the only pick of Ballard in this draft I have strong negative feelings about. I don't like it. I think it will be a wasted pick. I'd be shocked if he ever sees the field without us incurring multiple injuries ot our O-line. He's INCREDIBLY slow and plodding. I have no idea what Philbin saw in him.

Of course hes plodding at 350 lbs. They know he's a bit of a project. Have to envision him at a more ideal weight and added muscle tone and whatever else they have in mind. Lincoln Kennedy his father wasn't all that fast either but he played in this league productively for a decent while. We will see what they have in mind.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy looks so funny on the field. I just watched that Youtube video of USC vs. Washington and all I can say is that he puts a lot of effort, but he's way too slow because of his size. When he gets his hands on the opponent he does well, both in run and pass blocking, but when he misses a block or when a fast player gets around him he looks ridiculous.

I hope Philbin can do something with him, make him lose more weight first of all, otherwise it's a wasted pick.

6 minutes ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

This guy looks so funny on the field. I just watched that Youtube video of USC vs. Washington and all I can say is that he puts a lot of effort, but he's way too slow because of his size. When he gets his hands on the opponent he does well, both in run and pass blocking, but when he misses a block or when a fast player gets around him he looks ridiculous.

I hope Philbin can do something with him, make him lose more weight first of all, otherwise it's a wasted pick.

Seems like a good dude with heart but he is too big and slow. Wasted pick. We need to solidify the offensive line but there were better choices in round 4. This is the only head scratching pick,of the draft. Solid job by Ballard but round 4 on an overweight guy who can work in space to protect the franchise quarterback?

5 minutes ago, ar7 said:

Does anyone think that this pick indicates that Ballard wants this team to be primarily a man blocking scheme over time?

No. I'll try and dig it up, but I've read in a couple places this is somebody that Joe Philbin personally wanted, as he believes he can turn him in to an absolute road grater.

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Kid needs to lose Atleast 30 pounds. 350 is OK if you're a NT

He used to be up around 400, he's already lost around 40 lbs since the college season, and says he plans to lose 30 more and get down to 320. Either way, dude needs a dietitian to padlock his fridge asap.

7 hours ago, krunk said:

Of course hes plodding at 350 lbs. They know he's a bit of a project. Have to envision him at a more ideal weight and added muscle tone and whatever else they have in mind. Lincoln Kennedy his father wasn't all that fast either but he played in this league productively for a decent while. We will see what they have in mind.

You bring up an interesting point about his weight. I guess it could be seen as an opportunity for improvement. According to report he's been losing weight for a while now in order to become a draftable player. I guess if he's serious enough and has good work ethic he can reshape his body and improve his movement with it. I just hope his weight is not an issue every off-season.

Here is a podcast from Sports Illustrated that features Zach Banner:

And here's Banner on The Herd:

Seems like a smart young man with personality. That's good after we lost the only guy with personality on our roster this off-season.

24 minutes ago, stitches said:

You bring up an interesting point about his weight. I guess it could be seen as an opportunity for improvement. According to report he's been losing weight for a while now in order to become a draftable player. I guess if he's serious enough and has good work ethic he can reshape his body and improve his movement with it. I just hope his weight is not an issue every off-season.

Also keep in mind 350 is his combine weight, he actually lost a bunch of weight heading in to the draft, and was playing around 400 during the Rose Bowl. Dude was massively overweight.

13 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

Seems like this is Joe Philbin's pick. He is going to need a lot of work, but maybe these projects like Clark and Banner is what make Joe excited.

this was Philbin all the way, ballard eluded to that in the draft wrap up presser.  on his own, ballard never makes this pick (or ballard and pags even)

3 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Our scouts liked him and Ballard sent Philbin to look him over.  Philbin worked him out for a long time, told Ballard he liked him and we drafted him high.  I think it's obvious they think he can be really good.

Yeah, in Philbin we trust on this one! Probably the only part of the coaching staff that I will NOT want to loose under any circumstances! 

10 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Our scouts liked him and Ballard sent Philbin to look him over.  Philbin worked him out for a long time, told Ballard he liked him and we drafted him high.  I think it's obvious they think he can be really good.

I'm not sure how "high" we drafted him....

He went toward the bottom of the 4th round.     I think that was right around where he was projected give or take...

15 hours ago, D-lineman said:

Seems like a good dude with heart but he is too big and slow. Wasted pick. We need to solidify the offensive line but there were better choices in round 4. This is the only head scratching pick,of the draft. Solid job by Ballard but round 4 on an overweight guy who can work in space to protect the franchise quarterback?

I think you're going to be surprised......   to the upside...

I'd never second guess Joe Philbin and Chris Ballard on an O-lineman....

On 4/29/2017 at 11:17 AM, superrep1967 said:

Yeah, He's too big to be a tackle he won't be quick enough for fast DE's. 

One of the reasons we picked Banner is because he was good against fast DE's like McKinley.    Banner stoned him.

For the season,  Banner gave up 2 sacks and one other hit....     that's it.

And now he's going to be coached by Joe Philbin....

I think we got lucky that Banner was still on the board....

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

One of the reasons we picked Banner is because he was good against fast DE's like McKinley.    Banner stoned him.

I wondering where they start him off ?  Seems to me that he's more suited at T . I know our weakest spot is RG but is Banner really going to start there ? I kind of doubt it. Seems the Colts announced him as a guard but Banner said they talked about tackle. Many of the draft "experts" are saying guard too. So what's the plan ? I can't believe that none of the reporters asked Ballard is that 10 minute presser yesterday. 

Anyway... I'm thinking they work him mostly at RT and then maybe move to guard if deemed best.

16 hours ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

Those limitations are why he'll have to be a guard where I personally would like to see him play at. I called him big and sloppy. It was me saying to was a good thing. If you watched the clips on YouTube watch that full game. His run blocking is tremendous. He doesn't quit until the whistle. He'll drive his guy down the field. 

Ultimately, a few years from now,  Banner is going to be the right tackle and Clark is going to be the left tackle.....

That's our future....       I'm just not sure what the present is....?

Banner should lose 10 more pounds before camp.    He's 349 now....  that's his lowest weight in years....   and  if he's 339 by training camp he'll be dramatically improved....     

He can drop 5-10 more the following year.   

I know Banner is an unpopular pick by many here....    but remember,   most fans see what a player IS....

A scout and a coach are trying to see what a player CAN BE.       Two different things.

There are only so many people who are 6'8" and 350.     When you get the chance --- especially in the 4th round --- you take the guy and work with him.       He's one of my favorite picks in the draft.

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ultimately, a few years from now,  Banner is going to be the right tackle and Clark is going to be the left tackle.....

That's our future....       I'm just not sure what the present is....?

Banner should lose 10 more pounds before camp.    He's 349 now....  that's his lowest weight in years....   and  if he's 339 by training camp he'll be dramatically improved....     

He can drop 5-10 more the following year.   

I know Banner is an unpopular pick by many here....    but remember,   most fans see what a player IS....

A scout and a coach are trying to see what a player CAN BE.       Two different thingsi.

There are only so many people who are 6'8" and 350.     When you get the chance --- especially in the 4th round --- you take the guy and work with him.       He's one of my favorite picks in the draft.

I was just about to come in here and post all of this but you beat me. Nice 34 plus inch arm length too. For this year I wouldn't be surprised to see him used as a 6th offensive lineman. I think we will run the ball more this year.

17 hours ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

He is gonna play on short yard situation as G i guaranteed it , he is a mauler he, ofc he has to lose weight, Philbin and Ballard went to USC to work him both of them so they did their homework. He is gonna lose like 30 lbs and play with 310 lbs, he made and interview to NFL where he was aware of eating his way out of the league so he is aware of that.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah I like him also.  All I keep hearing people some say he's slow blah blah blah.  The scout in a video on the Colts website said he's good against speed rushers, has good lateral range, good against the pass, efficient against the run and plays well vs the best.  

I'm not sure there's much to dislike about this pick.  He could be our future right tackle in a couple years if Clark doesn't pan or at least a good rotational tackle.  

For everyone who is unhappy with the Colts 4th Round pick Zach Banner.

My favorite NFL Draft publication is "NFL Draft Preview" by Nolan Nawrocki (formerly know as "ProFootball Weekly Draft Preview" by the late Joel Bushsbaum) and I buy it every year.

This is regarded by many, as the best source for draft information.

Image result for nfl draft preview 2017 nolan nawrocki

Here is what the book had to say about Zach Banner:

Scouts Take:

"He's an NFL starter at right tackle. He's better than (Rams' 2015 second round pick) Rob Havenstein and a lot of guys that are playing right tackle right now."

1 hour ago, a06cc said:

Those limitations are why he'll have to be a guard where I personally would like to see him play at. I called him big and sloppy. It was me saying to was a good thing. If you watched the clips on YouTube watch that full game. His run blocking is tremendous. He doesn't quit until the whistle. He'll drive his guy down the field. 

I watched him on every offensive snap of that game. I agree, once he gets his hands on his guy in the run blocking, if he gets them, that guy is out of the play. 

I don't know how good he is in pass blocking but from what I saw he looks like a total road-grader in run blocking.  I would never pass on a guy who can clear people out of running lanes like that no matter how bad he is in pass blocking!

10 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I don't know how good he is in pass blocking but from what I saw he looks like a total road-grader in run blocking.  I would never pass on a guy who can clear people out of running lanes like that no matter how bad he is in pass blocking!

That's basically the scouting report. Utterly average pass blocker, destroyer of worlds in run blocking. The big concern is can he get his weight under control and transition to more athletic play at the next level? It's in Philbin's hands now.

2 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

That's basically the scouting report. Utterly average pass blocker, destroyer of worlds in run blocking. The big concern is can he get his weight under control and transition to more athletic play at the next level? It's in Philbin's hands now.

That's pretty much what I got out of it too.  Admittedly, I haven't seen much of him other than the highlight tapes.  His weight will need to be monitored for sure but it sounds like he is already working on it having reportedly lost 40 pounds already.  I guess he WAS pushing 400.  However, I think with a frame like his 350 is not too much.  I think 340 would be about ideal.  I don't want him to lose TOO much or else his run-blocking might be affected.  Would sure be a good guy to run behind in 3rd-and-short or goal-line no doubt!  But at 6-8 (or I have seen some list him at 6-9) you can hang a lot of meat on that frame and him not be too heavy.

18 hours ago, D-lineman said:

I could very well have picked other posts here so I'm not singling you out. 

The people on this forum saying this is a wasted pick has ZERO credibility here unless you scout for the NFL for a living. So please, as you post how this guy or that guy is a wasted pick at ___ , please post your scouting experience and which NFL club you've helped pick what player. You don't have the access these guys have, you don't have the talent these guys have, you don't have the experience these guys have and for you armchair talent evaluators to say anyone is a waste and they should have chosen the guy with way better talent is utterly ridiculous and you come off looking like the guy who knows everything (of course after the fact) but really knows little. So the players picked may not pan out but I'd trust these guys, with all the info and access at their fingertips, have much better chances to choose a guy that fits their plans than any of us on this forum. 

Now to say say I like _____ because he has played better from what I've seen at pass blocking or run blocking or whatever you've seen vs the guy the colts picked, maybe you have a bit more credibility to say such blanketed statements of who is a wasted pick. Nobody in the 4th round down is a wasted pick because they all have blemishes and you never know if they can hide or change those blemishes with better coaching. Just please stop acting like you are a NFL talent evaluator and are better at it than they are because high chances that you are not. Just enjoy being a fan. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you're going to be surprised......   to the upside...

I'd never second guess Joe Philbin and Chris Ballard on an O-lineman....

A few years ago same things were said about Ryan Grigson and I clearly remember the "In Grigson we trust" mantra some repeatedly preached... I guess we will se he is a project and I don't expect him to make much impact right now although some guys here tend to call every new guy a "beast". 

2 hours ago, austriancolt said:

A few years ago same things were said about Ryan Grigson and I clearly remember the "In Grigson we trust" mantra some repeatedly preached... I guess we will se he is a project and I don't expect him to make much impact right now although some guys here tend to call every new guy a "beast". 

The difference in this case is that it's not just Chris Ballard.

It's also Joe Philbin.    One of the top OL coaches in the game.     Last year,  Philbin picked our 4 OL in the draft and went 4 for 4.     Let's not forget that.

Phil bin worked him and liked him.     Think about this,  we traded down from our first pick in the 4th round,   We had 3 picks toward the bottom of the round.      We could've taken anyone we wanted that was left on the board,  and the guy we wanted most of all was Zack Banner.      I think that should tell us all just how much Ballard and Philbin wanted him.      Anyone at all,  and we took Banner.

I love the pick.

....and I can't help but imagine Good and Banner on the right side of the line....at the goal line...Turbin with the handoff....right side....who could stop that???  I mean, these are humongous guys who throw people around and we have 2 of them.  Not to mention how good Turbin is in short yardage.

7 hours ago, dw49 said:

I wondering where they start him off ?  Seems to me that he's more suited at T . I know our weakest spot is RG but is Banner really going to start there ? I kind of doubt it. Seems the Colts announced him as a guard but Banner said they talked about tackle. Many of the draft "experts" are saying guard too. So what's the plan ? I can't believe that none of the reporters asked Ballard is that 10 minute presser yesterday. 

Anyway... I'm thinking they work him mostly at RT and then maybe move to guard if deemed best.

If I was to bet.....

I'd bet he's to back up Clark on the right  for 1-2 Years, then hope Clark replaces A.C. on the left?????

1 minute ago, jimmy g said:

If I was to bet.....

I'd bet he's to back up Clark on the right  for 1-2 Years, then hope Clark replaces A.C. on the left?????

That's my opinion and hope too. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's also Joe Philbin.    One of the top OL coaches in the game.     Last year,  Philbin picked our 4 OL in the draft and went 4 for 4.     Let's not forget that.

Phil bin worked him and liked him.     Think about this,  we traded down from our first pick in the 4th round,   We had 3 picks toward the bottom of the round.      We could've taken anyone we wanted that was left on the board,  and the guy we wanted most of all was Zack Banner.      I think that should tell us all just how much Ballard and Philbin wanted him.      Anyone at all,  and we took Banner.

Think what some might be missing is he played at around 390 lbs and still held his own in pass protection. As of the combine he's lost 35-40 lbs . He's a pretty smart kid and I don't think he's going to eat himself out of a big future payday.

If he does play guard he will definitely give Gore a lane to run behind. The guy is huge and human bulldozer. I watched his game tape against UCLA and he just about pancaked whoever was in front of him. You felt sorry for the DE. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I was reading Banners commentary on Colts.com. Says Philbin is the best or smartest OL coach he has ever worked with just from initial impressions. He was raving.