Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What to do with TJ Green

CR91

On 4/29/2017 at 8:08 AM, Stephen said:

Turn him into a wr. With his size and speed he could be great.

Green was recruited to Clemson as a WR.     That's what he was in HS and what he played for a year or so in college.      He doesn't have the hands.

The Colts will give him another year at Safety and see what he does....     Perhaps in 18 they'll look at him as a corner if he doesn't work out...

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

So you are ready to write him off without giving him a chance to show what he can do with coaching and experience?  Sorry, I have to question you ability to judge players in the NFL.

Dude I'm just salty that he was taken so highly when we had much more pressing concerns and there were still good players on the board. 

A few guys I wanted(such as Sean Davis) have already started producing for their teams, and in big ways, so I think my ability to judge players is fine.  

17 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Dude I'm just salty that he was taken so highly when we had much more pressing concerns and there were still good players on the board. 

A few guys I wanted(such as Sean Davis) have already started producing for their teams, and in big ways, so I think my ability to judge players is fine.  

If all the members in this forum got "salty" because their guy or guys was not drafted where their opinion wanted them to, this forum would explode.

Crying over spilled milk at this point is useless. Grigson is gone so you should be happy with that but now you want to carry on with stuff than means absolutely nothing.

IMO Green will become a very good player and I suspect his drafting will not become a bad thing.

Worrying about some other player taken by another team is wasting your effort and time.

23 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If all the members in this forum got "salty" because their guy or guys was not drafted where their opinion wanted them to, this forum would explode.

Crying over spilled milk at this point is useless. Grigson is gone so you should be happy with that but now you want to carry on with stuff than means absolutely nothing.

IMO Green will become a very good player and I suspect his drafting will not become a bad thing.

Worrying about some other player taken by another team is wasting your effort and time.

I don't give a damn that we draft "my guys". I'm not one of those people that makes a topic showing off my mock draft and then gets butthurt when our GM doesn't select "my guys". I just want us to draft the better players.  I thought Davis was better and he has shown that currently he is.  I'm not patting myself on the back here, nor am I crying over spilt milk.  I answered OPs question... 

I only brought him up because you "questioned my ability to judge players in the NFL". Obviously it was fine in this case because Davis is the better player so far and validates what I thought.  

When Geathers and/or Butler inevitably get injured and have to miss a stretch of 3-4 games, we're going to need Green to step up. But until then, I say give him some snaps in a rotational role (whether it be CB, FS, or some type of LB/S hybrid), as well as some special teams playing time. That's really the only area where I see him fitting in right now.

Hopefully being in the system for a 2nd year and having the full offseason to watch tape and prepare will do some wonders for his development. We shall see.

2 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

I don't give a damn that we draft "my guys". I'm not one of those people that makes a topic showing off my mock draft and then gets butthurt when our GM doesn't select "my guys". I just want us to draft the better players.  I thought Davis was better and he has shown that currently he is.  I'm not patting myself on the back here, nor am I crying over spilt milk.  I answered OPs question... 

I only brought him up because you "questioned my ability to judge players in the NFL". Obviously it was fine in this case because Davis is the better player so far and validates what I thought.  

I only said that in response to what you said about what should be done with Green.

1 hour ago, SilentHill said:

he might end up being cut, Ballard doesn't really care about what round you were drafted in.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2016/9/14/12914156/shocker-chiefs-cut-3rd-round-pick-keivarae-russell-per-nfl-network

If he cuts him, I'm fine with that since he would have personally evaluated him during this off season and camp.  

I do have a problem with fans saying cut him now.  That would make no sense.

On defense, LB is (IMO) the biggest weakness on this team.  Luckily, the way the NFL is going, many teams are turning to two TE offenses (e.g., New England with Gronk and Allen) or teams with a strong slot WR to 'dink and dunk'. 

I think with Green, Geathers, Hooker and Butler we can spell some of the pressure from our LBs in many situations.  For example, if we played the Pats and they were lining up in 2 TE formations we could run a hybrid 3-4 with Hankins, Anderson, Langford and others on the line (should be steady against the run) and a combination of 2 LBs and Green and Geathers behind them with Butler playing medium and Hooker playing a little deeper. 

In other situations, say the Pats had Cooks, Edelman, Amendola and Gronk on the field we could keep Vontae on Cooks, Wilson (or CB 2) on Edelman, bring Butler up to play Amendola in the slot and then have Green/Geathers shadowing Gronk and Hooker and Green/Geathers back at S.

Obviously it won't work all the time, and we run the risk of sacrificing our run D, but there should be plenty of 3rd and long opportunities to put a lot of speed out on the field.

I'm happy the Colts picked Hooker because I feel he perfectly illustrates the flaw with Green.

Like Green, Hooker was raw coming out. He was a 1 year starter and played more basketball in his youth than football. However in his 1 year starting he demonstrated elite traits that haven't been seen in any safety coming out since Earl Thomas. Remarkable ball skills, almost inhuman range, terrific athletic ability, smooth mechanics, understanding of coverage responsibilities, instincts, and a willingness to tackle despite occasionally taking some bad angles. 

Green is big and fast. That's it. This is why I believe Green will never develop into a top safety. As much as people rave about his potential, there's nothing else to his game as a safety to suggest he can even be decent. Hooker is raw but has displayed A+ ability to do all the things a safety should be able to do. Green has none of that, and not all of that is coachable. It's wrong to suggest that Green has some tape of elite potential just because of his measureables. You need more than that to be good in this league. IMO he reminds me of Stephen Hill who the Jets also reached on in the 2nd round. His best position is an athlete that plays on STs. Maybe you put him in on certain defensive subpackages but that's it.

On 5/1/2017 at 10:13 AM, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

If he didn't bring something to the table that Ballard liked, he, along with Phillip Dorsett, would've been cut yesterday along with the other 10 guys that got let go. I've stopped worrying about whether these guys live up to their draft position, and am only concerned with whether or not they can make plays and be productive in whatever role the coaches choose for them. I think both are likely on notice this season, and if they can't produce, Ballard will see to it that they're cut, simple as that.

On 4/29/2017 at 10:35 AM, shastamasta said:

I would put him at nickel LB and have him cover TEs and RBs...and let him blitz. 

Move Geathers back into his S role full time.

I would do the opposite.  Geathers showed he's terrific covering LB's on passing downs.  I'd much rather have him do that especially if we are going to play man on 3rd and longs.

Lot of optimism in here.  He would be really close to getting cut if it were up to me

His saving grace is he has the skill set to play special teams

As a safety hes too much of a project for me, dont think hes worth the trouble

3 hours ago, tikyle said:

I would do the opposite.  Geathers showed he's terrific covering LB's on passing downs.  I'd much rather have him do that especially if we are going to play man on 3rd and longs.

So that's been the issue? The Colts are too busy covering their own players ; )

On 4/29/2017 at 11:21 AM, waka waka said:

let him develop he was thrusted into a starting role...don't put ungodly expectations on rookie. I think he can be a good player hes still under contract on a cheap contract. I expect him to look a lot better this year.

Yeah I don't see him as a bust or anything of that nature. They said he was a project when we drafted him. He has already had more playing time than we intended. I would like to see Geathers and Green rotate at linebacker. But Geathers would obviously be on the field at all times. Green will get a lot of playing time, whether it is at FS, SS, or Corner.  

9 hours ago, aaron11 said:

Lot of optimism in here.  He would be really close to getting cut if it were up to me

His saving grace is he has the skill set to play special teams

As a safety hes too much of a project for me, dont think hes worth the trouble

Well he is a competitor. He fired up that Clemson secondary two years ago. I think he will be fine. He is a good player and I expect him to be much improved. But he will still have a hard time playing a lot at safety. 

7 hours ago, jimmy g said:

Ourlads has been terrible for as long as they've been around....

Examples are too numerous to count...

LaRaven Clark not starting...     they have Hunt starting on the DL over Henry Anderson,  Wilson not starting at corner behind Melvin....     And in their bio on Ryan Kelly,  they have him listed as a 3rd or 4th round draft candidate.      Annually,  they are among the worst draft sites to use....

Terrible doesn't begin to cover them....

I don't see him being a deep safety like Hooker.  Green and Geathers could both be good box-safeties with Hooker and Butler playing deep safety behind them.

I mentioned in another thread that Green and Geathers could be the LBs in a nickel package, which we will be playing in half the time.

Have the 3 CBs play press-man, and Green and Geathers can cover the RBs and TEs.

13 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Well he is a competitor. He fired up that Clemson secondary two years ago. I think he will be fine. He is a good player athlete and I expect him to be much improved. But he will still have a hard time playing a lot at safety. 

Fixed that for you. Green is a good athlete. Nothing more, nothing less. 

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Fixed that for you. Green is a good athlete. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Lol he is still a good player. You can be raw and make mistakes, but still be a good player. I'm not ready to give up on him. If we trade him, that's fine. But he is still worthy of a roster spot 

28 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Lol he is still a good player. You can be raw and make mistakes, but still be a good player. I'm not ready to give up on him. If we trade him, that's fine. But he is still worthy of a roster spot 

To be a good player, you have to make plays. Green hasn't made any memorable plays up to this point. I'd bet he'd make a bunch of plays on STs though.

I think TJ could play SS if he reaches his potential. As for what to do with him, all we can do is try to develop him and put him in positions to show what he has and succeed. No need to move on from him before his rookie contract is up, and if he still hasn't shown us anything, whether it be at SS, nickel, or even FS as a backup, then let him go.

2 hours ago, Nobody said:

I think TJ could play SS if he reaches his potential. As for what to do with him, all we can do is try to develop him and put him in positions to show what he has and succeed. No need to move on from him before his rookie contract is up, and if he still hasn't shown us anything, whether it be at SS, nickel, or even FS as a backup, then let him go.

There's a name I haven't seen in awhile. Welcome back!!!