Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What to do with TJ Green

CR91

With the drafting of Malik Hooker, its interesting to think what green's role will now be especially if we do just play butler strictly as a safety. Im sure someone can fill in better, but I think melvin was better outside then in the slot. The packer game is a good indication of that which tells me butler might be moving back to nickle. Youre probably asking me well how does that impact green? If you watch the colts, they play a lot of three safeties with geathers moving down in the box and in doing so, it allows the colts to play a single high safety with hooker where he would be roaming the backside of the field. Green would play what I like to call the robber role or joker role same thing where he reacts and chases the ball kind of what we asked bob to do. This would allow us to play packages where geathers green hooker and butler are on the field at the same time. Green still needs time to understand how to play safety, but I think this will allow him atleast gain some experience for next year when we probably move on from butler

Just now, DougDew said:

Let him play wherever and whenever he deserves to.

Bingo !!!! We have a winner.

That's what happens when a new GM comes to a team in the shape the Colts were in. It's called "competition" and it will have little to do with where a player was drafted. 

Well the thing is if he starts or not.. then it becomes does butler start or not lol...pretty much Hooker deep field at fs green at ss geathers  at lb butler in the slot? Nickel situations maybe? Other than that give him the bench or hope he looks good heading into preseason/season 

5 minutes ago, KB said:

Allow him to be a gunner for a bit. His speed and aggression should go well there as we let him properly develop. Have him be strong safety while geathers plays linebacker in dime

That's probably the best strategy for his development, to basically back up Geathers at SS to limit his weaknesses in the passing game.  Butler can back up Hooker.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That's probably the best strategy for his development, to basically back up Geathers at SS to limit his weaknesses in the passing game.  Butler can back up Hooker.

I honestly think he would make a better SS than FS. Not an enforcer like geathers but I feel like it is his stronger position.

23 minutes ago, will426 said:

Well the thing is if he starts or not.. then it becomes does butler start or not lol...pretty much Hooker deep field at fs green at ss geathers  at lb butler in the slot? Nickel situations maybe? Other than that give him the bench or hope he looks good heading into preseason/season 

I'd prefer to keep Butler as a backup to Hooker, maybe CB in an injury situation.  I'd rather draft a true young Nickle CB in the 4th round today.  Let Melvin be #4, then a UDFA or last year's depth compete for the last spot.

6 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Play wherever he feels comfortable 

Something most have forgot he was green pardon the pun when we drafted him. With a world of upside but he needed time to learn and mature. However injury has not helped him have considerable time in the learning experience. I believe the talent is there , I for one have not given up. Will he be a starter who knows but he can definitely give us a quality back up at corner or safety why he continues to learn. We have a safety that's not a spring chicken in football terms so lets hope he has a full healthy season.

42 minutes ago, DougDew said:

No butler and hooker need to be on field in passing situations as they are the ball hawks

Yeah, he'll probably be mostly limited to special teams and will be given more time to develop. I hope he can improve and the team can find use for his great size and speed. But all we have is optimism, but I think the pressure off him, should be a good thing.

8 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Something most have forgot he was green pardon the pun when we drafted him. With a world of upside but he needed time to learn and mature. However injury has not helped him have considerable time in the learning experience. I believe the talent is there , I for one have not given up. Will he be a starter who knows but he can definitely give us a quality back up at corner or safety why he continues to learn. We have a safety that's not a spring chicken in football terms so lets hope he has a full healthy season.

Nicely put

Green is still a youngster, it'll be only his second season, and if the Colts wants, he'll be here for a while. So no need to rush. Let him learn, use him as a special teamer or whatever he is ready for already. And evaluate him after each season. Vontae Davis's contract will expire next year, and he is only getting older. Ballard told the media that they discussed the option to turn him to a CB. They rejected the idea for now, but who knows, how they'll see that in a year or two. Maybe Green's eventual role will indeed be a CB.

As I said in another thread, you keep him and develop him. Give him some time as a slot corner, play him deep with Hooker in your 3 safety looks - or play him up with Butler deep. Geathers still hasn't made it through the season yet, so Green is going to get PT. He can be ano excellent contributor on ST's - the guys who can give you ST's help and can play well defensively end up having long tenured careers. I trust they will do their due diligence with him and get the most out of him.

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I would put him at nickel LB and have him cover TEs and RBs...and let him blitz. 

Move Geathers back into his S role full time.

bass ackwards. Geathers is a very good coverage S and barely has the weight to survive as our 4-2 ILB.
Green strikes out for that position at this time.

It's a 53 man roster. Plenty of room for Green. Long gone are the days of fielding the same 11 guys game after game or even within one game. The Colts (and most other teams) rotate players so much on defense both on the front end and the back end, that when we watch games we can hardly keep track of who's on the field.

When it comes to Green's ability, or usefulness, I'm surprised that so many fans assume that what he was in his rookie year is all he will ever be. There have been many good to great Colt players who were not great or good in their rookie years.  

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

I'd prefer to keep Butler as a backup to Hooker, maybe CB in an injury situation.  I'd rather draft a true young Nickle CB in the 4th round today.  Let Melvin be #4, then a UDFA or last year's depth compete for the last spot.

Right I forgot about the rest of the draft tbh lmaoo I'm just looking forward to these new additions

51 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

bass ackwards. Geathers is a very good coverage S and barely has the weight to survive as our 4-2 ILB.
Green strikes out for that position at this time.

Geathers is not very good in coverage. But he's better than Green. Also, Green and Geathers are the same size...which is about 7 lbs light than Deonne Bucannon, who plays that role. 

To get both of those on the field, one of them has to play that role. I would prefer to try Green there to see if it works.

I honestly think Green can get a few reps in when we move Geathers down to ILB in the nickle. I dont think I would bring him in all the time, but limited reps at SS to get him some experience. I could also see us blitzing him from the SS position every now and seeing some success, either getting some sacks or forcing bad throws for Hooker to pick off. 

I'm pretty sure almost all of these suggestions will be used, or at least attempted in practice. We have a lot of flexibility now with the safeties we have and can use each of them in various roles depending on the situation. :)

I think hooker and geathers are the starters in the base D and we'll see a lot of butler and hooker deep on obvious passing situations.

How about putting all 4 on the field with davis and Wilson as a dime/quarter sub package?  At least 3 of the safeties (butler, hooker and green) have the physical traits needed to play man or they could go zone heavy with multiple blitz/cover options for each. Most importantly show that you're willing to use all of these options to keep the opposing offense as off balance as possible.

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

Let him play wherever and whenever he deserves to.

So true, Doug....a new set of eyes is looking at him....

Plus, Hooker and Green will be on the field together..you might need 3 corners and three safeties against some double TE sets...

Seems that safeties are getting more and more valuable to combat the pass catching tight ends and 3rd down speed backs

A lot depends on what the coaches want to do with Butler. He is our best nickel CB IMO. Will the coaches want him to swing back and forth between nickel CB and safety depending on down, distance and offensive personnel? Seems reasonable to me.

With all the young DBs it might be tough to get get all of them the reps that they need to best sort the various roles out. But that is what the coaches are paid to figure out. I wish them well.

Dime backer primarily along with whatever they do with him in specialty packages. He will have a defined role im sure. I expect him to be better. Whenever they use him at safety I agree with those who say SS is the better role for him.

Green is very young so let's give him a break. we have no idea how much he'll develop from last year to this year. He has a tremendous athletic ability so they'll be a place for him to play if he's up to the competition and can land a spot on the team

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 0:40 PM, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Special Teams until his contract is up then sign to cheap deal if he was any good there.  Otherwise just let his defense brigade speak for his ability on the forum until he slips quietly into the free agency night like Werner or Richardson.  

So you are ready to write him off without giving him a chance to show what he can do with coaching and experience?  Sorry, I have to question you ability to judge players in the NFL.