Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tarell Basham, DE/OLB, Ohio: Film Study

On 5/2/2017 at 8:59 PM, Superman said:

But I loved Hooker and Adams, and loved OJ Howard. I think all three of them are can't miss guys.

Im glad someone else loved Howard. He wasnt a need, but he has the opportunity to be one of those once in a decade types. Thats high speak, but even if I (we maybe?) think similarly of him, he is close. Gronk at best, Kelce at worst if it pans out.

47 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Im glad someone else loved Howard. He wasnt a need, but he has the opportunity to be one of those once in a decade types. Thats high speak, but even if I (we maybe?) think similarly of him, he is close. Gronk at best, Kelce at worst if it pans out.

Like a lot of people, I was introduced to him in the 2016 national championship game. After that, I was always looking forward to seeing him. I think he's a special talent.

He's noticeably faster than Gronk and Kelce, I think. Kelce's "unique trait," IMO, is his insane body control, which I think more than makes up for whatever he's giving up in speed. Gronk is a mauling blocker. Howard doesn't have either of those qualities. Body control might come, but he'll never be the blocker Gronk is, IMO. But I still think he has the talent to be a top five TE, no question. 

On 5/3/2017 at 5:21 AM, Superman said:

"No, right, so listen, no look, if a guy has a UNIQUE TRAIT..."

""No, right, so listen, no look, if a guy has a UNIQUE TRAIT... I've learned that from coach Reid, I don't ever want to pass on a good player"

5 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I too loved Howard.

On 5/3/2017 at 9:42 AM, chad72 said:

Basham, if he perfects the spin move and gains strength, has more of the Freeney body type than Mathis' body type though slower than Freeney. I expect him to be productive. That is all you can ask for with a 3rd round pick, solid starter eventually.

On the contrary, I felt Rivers would not be able to play 3 downs even with NFL strength regimen, and would be more of a situational player unless they use him in coverage a lot of times like Jamie Collins. 

I think Basham will end up being more than a situational player. Now, it is all up to the coaching.

Ha, it's ironic. Rivers had 30 reps of bench press at the combine vs. 15 for Basham.

6 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Ha, it's ironic. Rivers had 30 reps of bench press at the combine vs. 15 for Basham.

Meh, Stephen Paea lit the combine on fire with his 49 reps of bench press, did he throw around OL like rag dolls. If he did, I haven't heard about it. I am not going to get carried away by bench press, the bench press does not use its hands against you. :) 

But then, I won't go against the coaching of Belichick, am not that crazy. :) 

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:58 AM, FalseStart said:

I really feel we ticked the Pats off with this pick.  That's why they needed to trade back up and grab Rivers...:1colts:

Here is a link that at least suggests that the Pats were interested in Basham:

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/colleges/franklin-county-product-tarell-basham-exicted-as-nfl-draft-nears/article_65fab8d2-098f-51a8-806c-4f39ab1b0b2f.html

6 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Basham's arms are almost 2" longer than Rivers too. Don't underestimate how much of a factor that is in the bench press.

Plus, that longer arm length is going to be a much bigger aid to Basham in rushing the passer than a few extra reps would have been on the bench.

12 hours ago, BCoop said:

Basham's arms are almost 2" longer than Rivers too. Don't underestimate how much of a factor that is in the bench press.

Plus, that longer arm length is going to be a much bigger aid to Basham in rushing the passer than a few extra reps would have been on the bench.

It's funny you mention that. I'm 5'9'' and 180 lbs or so, bench press is 2 reps of 185 at my very max. I measured my arms the last few days, and they are about 31.75'', which is longer than Carl Lawson's, though he's 6'2''.

No wonder why I struggle on the bench.