Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard talks Wilson & Basham....

NewColtsFan

Every year I've been here,  I always strongly recommend you listen to the GM and HC talk about the players they drafted.

It's good to hear their tone of voice....    it's good to see their faces as they speak....    it beats reading their quotes the next day on line or in the newspaper...

So,  here is Ballard talking about his Day 2 picks....        The video is just over 10 minutes long....      (and if you get the chance,  see the Ballard video from last night when he talks about Hooker,  you'll be impressed)

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Chris-Ballard-Discusses-Wilson-and-Basham-Picks-/2588ae87-12b4-43d0-9669-43a689b63c32

I love that we finally have a consistent philosophy on D. Big, athletic, turns te ball over! Ball-skills. One of the biggest predictors for wins is turnover differential. And we've taken players that take the ball away from the opponent. The difference between the new and old philosophy can be summarized by the closing comment on NFL Network with the Hooker pick - "the Colts had 8 interception as a team last year. Hooker alone had 7". Those individual players we took today might not have been my personal favorites on the board, but I can be happy with them knowing there is a consistent and coherent thought process behind picking them.

Now I just wish we had a coaching staff that would coach those players up and use them to the best of their abilities. Oh well... maybe we can get that next year.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Now I just wish we had a coaching staff that would coach those players up and use them to the best of their abilities. Oh well... maybe we can get that next year.

Look, I get your point, but I got this gut feeling that Ballard and Pagano/Monachino is on the same page.

You have to remember that the players that Monachino inherited might not have been a great fit for his way of thinking, his scheme, his defensive philosophy. I distinctly remember Monachino talking about having players think less in terms of complex scheme and more about instincts and just plain getting at the ball. Look at what we have added. 

It is much easier to coach a player up when he is a fit, and the weaknesses are a fit too, in relation to want you think you can mold.

Look, one more thing. I know that Pagano has been here a long time and probably got some of his players too with Grigson. But I sense that Ballard is a much more sound counterweight to Pagano that Grigson ever was. I'm not sure Ballard would have picked Green in the second round last year, just a gut feeling. I know Pagano loved that pick.

One final, and interesting, point: Ballard is not building a defense for Pagano. He might be gone next year. But he is building a defense for Monachino. That might sound contradictory now, but let's see how this plays out. I think Ballard has a clear plan B in place if Pagano doesn't work out.  

1 hour ago, stitches said:

I love that we finally have a consistent philosophy on D. Big, athletic, turns te ball over! Ball-skills. One of the biggest predictors for wins is turnover differential. And we've taken players that take the ball away from the opponent. The difference between the new and old philosophy can be summarized by the closing comment on NFL Network with the Hooker pick - "the Colts had 8 interception as a team last year. Hooker alone had 7". Those individual players we took today might not have been my personal favorites on the board, but I can be happy with them knowing there is a consistent and coherent thought process behind picking them.

Great stuff...something we haven't had on D in a while...guys who can really impact the ball and create those turnovers. But as you say at the end it's too bad we don't have a staff that really knows how use a player to strengths and maximize his potential. 

1 hour ago, Mr Clueless said:

Look, one more thing. I know that Pagano has been here a long time and probably got some of his players too with Grigson. But I sense that Ballard is a much more sound counterweight to Pagano that Grigson ever was. I'm not sure Ballard would have picked Green in the second round last year, just a gut feeling. I know Pagano loved that pick.

One final, and interesting, point: Ballard is not building a defense for Pagano. He might be gone next year. But he is building a defense for Monachino. That might sound contradictory now, but let's see how this plays out. I think Ballard has a clear plan B in place if Pagano doesn't work out.  

He's building a defense for Toub's coaching staff.

5 hours ago, stitches said:

Also... I love how happy Tarell looked at his interview:

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Facetime_Colts_3rd_Round_Pick_Tarell_Basham/0ff1faab-51ff-407c-8e4a-1f84d2244da4

He's already growing on me.

This video is amazing. Got me hyped! I was pulling for Rivers in the 3rd, but this now has me super excited to see Basham get to work! Thanks for sharing!

5 hours ago, stitches said:

On that note, it's hard to see Chuck/Ballard working long term.  Ballard is doing everything he can to create a culture of competition and discomfort.  Chuck, on the other hand, crowns players and puts them into the hall of fame before they have ever actually shown something.  Hooker is Ed Reed.  Richardson, Werner, Morrison, etc., are the greatest ever, blah, blah, blah.  Maybe Richardson and Werner started to believe it.

5 minutes ago, #12. said:

On that note, it's hard to see Chuck/Ballard working long term.  Ballard is doing everything he can to create a culture of competition and discomfort.

I understand the point you are making - it is a good one. The question becomes - "Does Chuck Pagano really parent the competition culture authored by Chris Ballard?" I have an opinion - I think yes and I believe the issue was and always was Ryan Grigson's ego about who he selected (they must play) and who got credit when he was correct. We will all find out, together...

However, point of order: Competition does not equal discomfort. A player who is working the hardest and is succeeding, because of the competition, can remove discomfort as they best the crucible. Competition creates comfortable warriors who fight for one another. the ones who fail are the uncomfortable ones. So, they fight to seek the comfort of success.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Every year I've been here,  I always strongly recommend you listen to the GM and HC talk about the players they drafted.

It's good to hear their tone of voice....    it's good to see their faces as they speak....    it beats reading their quotes the next day on line or in the newspaper...

So,  here is Ballard talking about his Day 2 picks....        The video is just over 10 minutes long....      (and if you get the chance,  see the Ballard video from last night when he talks about Hooker,  you'll be impressed)

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Chris-Ballard-Discusses-Wilson-and-Basham-Picks-/2588ae87-12b4-43d0-9669-43a689b63c32

I watched both Ballard's and Pagano's reaction to the Hooker selection and both appeared to be sincerely pumped. Quincy Wilson had been rated by some as much higher than 46 by many. Basham (great linebacker name) may be a monster pass rusher. I believe they got draft level bargains on all three and the youth in the backfield may eventually pay big dividends if these young men don't do anything stupid off the field. I think the calm confidence of Ballard is impressive so far.

2 hours ago, lester said:

I understand the point you are making - it is a good one. The question becomes - "Does Chuck Pagano really parent the competition culture authored by Chris Ballard?" I have an opinion - I think yes and I believe the issue was and always was Ryan Grigson's ego about who he selected (they must play) and who got credit when he was correct. We will all find out, together...

However, point of order: Competition does not equal discomfort. A player who is working the hardest and is succeeding, because of the competition, can remove discomfort as they best the crucible. Competition creates comfortable warriors who fight for one another. the ones who fail are the uncomfortable ones. So, they fight to seek the comfort of success.

You give Pagano waay too much credit.  I understand that you probably genuinely bellive in this but it is what it is at this point.  We're in year 6 of him basically and he's a rara guy. The fact that he's clinged to life here and had all these rumours about being replaced should speak for itself.  

Players love him a lot.  But he's obviously a coddler who really didn't create competition like Ballard wants.  

35 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

You give Pagano waay too much credit.  I understand that you probably genuinely bellive in this but it is what it is at this point.  We're in year 6 of him basically and he's a rara guy. The fact that he's clinged to life here and had all these rumours about being replaced should speak for itself.  

Players love him a lot.  But he's obviously a coddler who really didn't create competition like Ballard wants.  

We can all see the result of the past 5 years - but what none of us know is what amount of 'blame' Grigson is responsible for. Was it all Grigson? Was it Pagano? We know the roster was horrible. Laughable even? We know the team performed poorly sometimes and brilliantly other times. We also think we know there was a feud between Grigson and Pagano, but don't really know what about. Sure, we see snippets from time to time in the media, we hear rumors, and every now and then we get some amount of insight into the inner-workings. And we all get to hear and mock the ridiculous coach speak from Pagano's mouth. But none of us really know how Pagano conducts himself with players who are not performing and we don't know much of the mediocre depth chart Pagano made happen. How much is he accountable for? We just don't know. 

What we DO know is the situation was such that Irsay not only retained Pagano, but even went as far to publicly state that the new GM would not be able to change the head coach this year. Further, the new GM agreed to take this job knowing that he was stuck with Pagano. Maybe he is just waiting until next year, but he seems to be okay with Pagano so far. What we have learned about Chris Ballard is he does his homework and he thinks through his decisions. And he decided it was a good situation to come the Indianapolis with Pagano as the coach. It is my opinion that the organization believes Pagano was done wrong in a hostile work environment and has real upside - otherwise he would not still be here.

So, the rest of us get to spectate this year wondering what will happen. But I am optimistic.

36 minutes ago, lester said:

We can all see the result of the past 5 years - but what none of us know is what amount of 'blame' Grigson is responsible for. Was it all Grigson? Was it Pagano? We know the roster was horrible. Laughable even? We know the team performed poorly sometimes and brilliantly other times. We also think we know there was a feud between Grigson and Pagano, but don't really know what about. Sure, we see snippets from time to time in the media, we hear rumors, and every now and then we get some amount of insight into the inner-workings. And we all get to hear and mock the ridiculous coach speak from Pagano's mouth. But none of us really know how Pagano conducts himself with players who are not performing and we don't know much of the mediocre depth chart Pagano made happen. How much is he accountable for? We just don't know. 

What we DO know is the situation was such that Irsay not only retained Pagano, but even went as far to publicly state that the new GM would not be able to change the head coach this year. Further, the new GM agreed to take this job knowing that he was stuck with Pagano. Maybe he is just waiting until next year, but he seems to be okay with Pagano so far. What we have learned about Chris Ballard is he does his homework and he thinks through his decisions. And he decided it was a good situation to come the Indianapolis with Pagano as the coach. It is my opinion that the organization believes Pagano was done wrong in a hostile work environment and has real upside - otherwise he would not still be here.

So, the rest of us get to spectate this year wondering what will happen. But I am optimistic.

I am of the opinion that he's a lame duck coach unless he pulls a playoff run out of his hat.  But that's just me.  We're the  two different types of people in this world and nothing is wrong with either.  

As unfair as it'll be, I really do think he'll get the can if we miss the playoffs or say, get blown out in the first round.  

4 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

I am of the opinion that he's a lame duck coach unless he pulls a playoff run out of his hat.  But that's just me.

Then you and I agree. No playoff success, no Chuck...

The difference is, I have no doubts that this is a far more likely outcome this year than many others on this board. With Grigson's ego out of the building, Chuck might finally be able to blossom (which means, the rest of the Colts will as well).

But the best part - we all get to enjoy the show, one way or another! :)

I am certain Pagano wants to coach at a high level and in Indy but I am not sure he will remain unless he brings us back from the dead. This is the do or die year, with no excuses. Ballard has given him players to work with. Now it is going to be SHOWTIME. He either has it or he is gone. If his health cannot handle it, then he needed to have step away. 

On April 29, 2017 at 3:36 AM, stitches said:

Also... I love how happy Tarell looked at his interview:

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Facetime_Colts_3rd_Round_Pick_Tarell_Basham/0ff1faab-51ff-407c-8e4a-1f84d2244da4

He's already growing on me.

Basham just looks like a guy who's ready to get going! He doesn't want to wait, let's go and get it! Love that personality. No rest for the wicked, let's get him out there and get after some QBs!