Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Tarell Basham, Edge, Ohio

ColtsArmy84

I'd like to add Carl Lawson and or Brantley in the 4th round. Brantley only if the case with that girl was not what it was sold to be. Want to get a RB as well. Hopefully add a Joe Haeg type lineman between the 4-5. DB or ILB.

2 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I know nothing about him but seems highly rated again lol

Maybe this will help-

TARELL BASHAM–OHIO UNIV.
6036|269 lbs|4SR Rocky Mount, Va. (Franklin County) 3/18/1994 (age 23) #93 YEAR (GP/GS) TKLS TFL SACK FF GRADE 2nd Round 2013: (13/5) 32 9.5 7.5 2 MEASUREABLES Arm: 34 1/4 | Hand: 10 1/4 | Wingspan: 79 5/8 2014: (12/7) 33 6.0 5.0 1 COMBINE 40-YD: 4.70 | 10-YD: 1.60 | 20-YD: 2.71 | BP: 15 | VJ: 31 1/2 | BJ: 09’11” | SS: 4.35 | 3C: 7.27 2015: (12/11) 44 11.0 5.5 2 PRO DAY 40-YD: 4.70 | 10-YD: 1.62 | 20-YD: 2.72 | SS: 4.44 2016: (14/14) 50 16.0 11.5 2 Total: (51/37) 159 42.5 29.5 7
I think he can still get a lot better as a pass rusher. He has the strength and length to play as a 4-3 base end or as a 3-4 rush linebacker, but his pass rush approach will need to be sharpened as he lacks the flexibility to bend the edge and attack the pocket with athleticism alone. He proved at the Senior Bowl that he has the tools to be a Sunday starter.
The athleticism he displayed was outstanding as Basham was smooth, displayed a quick change of direction and moved with speed to every area of the field. He was terrific rushing the passer out of a three-point stance, effective getting to the signal-caller standing over tackle and flashed ability playing in space. The 6-foot-4, 262-pound Basham is Ohio’s all-time leader in sacks. This past season, Basham registered 49 tackles (14.5 for loss), nine sacks and a forced fumble over 14 games played. Basham was a man amongst boys in the MAC but will need to gain more strength to duplicate his success in the NFL. He is overly reliant at this time on his speed and agility and must incorporate a better bull rush to his game. He spent time early in his career at defensive tackle but lacks the bulk and strength to remain here in the NFL.
I like his initial quickness, agility and motor. He may need a year or two to acclimate to the greater speed of the NFL but possesses the traits and work ethic necessary to handle the jump in competition. Versatility will be the key and in that vain is similar to Cassius Marsh.
Like Marsh, Basham is at his best attacking off the edge, winning with equal parts athleticism and tenacity.
BACKGROUND: A two-star defensive end recruit out of high school, Basham received interest from nearby Virginia Tech and other FBS-level programs, but he couldn’t qualify academically and enrolled at Hargrave Military Academy for the 2012 season. He enrolled at Ohio in January 2013 and started five games as a true freshman, earning Freshman All-American honors with 7.5 sacks and two forced fumbles. Basham started seven games in 2014 and recorded 33 tackles, 6.0 tackles for loss and 5.0 sacks. He led the Bobcats with 11.0 tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks as a junior, starting 11 games in 2015. Basham had his most productive season as a senior and was named the MAC Defensive Player of the Year, finishing with a team-best 16.0 tackles for loss, 11.5 sacks and two forced fumbles. He accepted his invitation to the 2017 Senior Bowl. STRENGTHS: Developed build with long arms and powerful hands…uses his length to generate movement with his upper body strength…initial burst to cross the face of blockers and squeeze rush lanes…works through the outside shoulder of rushers with active hands to fight through contact…resets his eyes quickly mid-rush to find the football…relentless energy and never quits working to the ball…comfortable dropping and floating in coverage…reliable on the edges to set the edge and hold outside contain…grip strength to get ballcarriers on the ground…coachable, team-oriented mind-set…work ethic matured throughout his college years and those habits translated to improved play on the field…graduated with a degree in marketing and communications (Dec. 2016)…holds the school records for sacks in a single-season (11.5) and career (29.5). WEAKNESSES: Inconsistent snap anticipation, getting a late start…lacks elastic bend around the edge and shows some stiffness in open space…wild pass rush sequence and needs to stay under control mid-rush…active, but rudimentary hand use, lacking a coordinated plan…pads tend to rise at contact, stalling his counter moves…inconsistent break down skills, attacking off-balance and not finishing the ballcarrier – shifty runners can juke him in small spaces…functional length, but streaky timing and doesn’t always protect his chest…medical history needs inspected – underwent meniscus surgery (April 2015) and missed playing time after spraining his left knee (Sept. 2015). SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Ohio, Basham lined up at both left and right defensive end with his hand in the ground in the Bobcats’ four man-front. He showed steady development each season in Athens and finished with a strong senior campaign, earning the conference defensive player of the year honors and setting several school sack records. Basham relies more on energy than savvy as a pass rusher and needs to mature his move-to-move sequence to get home consistently in the NFL. However, he holds up well vs. the run and his blend of quickness, power and length allow him to win one-on-one battles vs. blockers on the edges – day two prospect who can be part of a pass rush rotation as a rookie while competing for starting snaps.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

Yeah looking at his tape, the guy is built like a monster, very powerful looking.

2 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

Yeah looking at his tape, the guy is built like a monster, very powerful looking.

In that game versus Tenn I believe he outperformed Barnett. The guy is relentless

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Maybe this will help-

TARELL BASHAM–OHIO UNIV.
6036|269 lbs|4SR Rocky Mount, Va. (Franklin County) 3/18/1994 (age 23) #93 YEAR (GP/GS) TKLS TFL SACK FF GRADE 2nd Round 2013: (13/5) 32 9.5 7.5 2 MEASUREABLES Arm: 34 1/4 | Hand: 10 1/4 | Wingspan: 79 5/8 2014: (12/7) 33 6.0 5.0 1 COMBINE 40-YD: 4.70 | 10-YD: 1.60 | 20-YD: 2.71 | BP: 15 | VJ: 31 1/2 | BJ: 09’11” | SS: 4.35 | 3C: 7.27 2015: (12/11) 44 11.0 5.5 2 PRO DAY 40-YD: 4.70 | 10-YD: 1.62 | 20-YD: 2.72 | SS: 4.44 2016: (14/14) 50 16.0 11.5 2 Total: (51/37) 159 42.5 29.5 7
I think he can still get a lot better as a pass rusher. He has the strength and length to play as a 4-3 base end or as a 3-4 rush linebacker, but his pass rush approach will need to be sharpened as he lacks the flexibility to bend the edge and attack the pocket with athleticism alone. He proved at the Senior Bowl that he has the tools to be a Sunday starter.
The athleticism he displayed was outstanding as Basham was smooth, displayed a quick change of direction and moved with speed to every area of the field. He was terrific rushing the passer out of a three-point stance, effective getting to the signal-caller standing over tackle and flashed ability playing in space. The 6-foot-4, 262-pound Basham is Ohio’s all-time leader in sacks. This past season, Basham registered 49 tackles (14.5 for loss), nine sacks and a forced fumble over 14 games played. Basham was a man amongst boys in the MAC but will need to gain more strength to duplicate his success in the NFL. He is overly reliant at this time on his speed and agility and must incorporate a better bull rush to his game. He spent time early in his career at defensive tackle but lacks the bulk and strength to remain here in the NFL.
I like his initial quickness, agility and motor. He may need a year or two to acclimate to the greater speed of the NFL but possesses the traits and work ethic necessary to handle the jump in competition. Versatility will be the key and in that vain is similar to Cassius Marsh.
Like Marsh, Basham is at his best attacking off the edge, winning with equal parts athleticism and tenacity.
BACKGROUND: A two-star defensive end recruit out of high school, Basham received interest from nearby Virginia Tech and other FBS-level programs, but he couldn’t qualify academically and enrolled at Hargrave Military Academy for the 2012 season. He enrolled at Ohio in January 2013 and started five games as a true freshman, earning Freshman All-American honors with 7.5 sacks and two forced fumbles. Basham started seven games in 2014 and recorded 33 tackles, 6.0 tackles for loss and 5.0 sacks. He led the Bobcats with 11.0 tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks as a junior, starting 11 games in 2015. Basham had his most productive season as a senior and was named the MAC Defensive Player of the Year, finishing with a team-best 16.0 tackles for loss, 11.5 sacks and two forced fumbles. He accepted his invitation to the 2017 Senior Bowl. STRENGTHS: Developed build with long arms and powerful hands…uses his length to generate movement with his upper body strength…initial burst to cross the face of blockers and squeeze rush lanes…works through the outside shoulder of rushers with active hands to fight through contact…resets his eyes quickly mid-rush to find the football…relentless energy and never quits working to the ball…comfortable dropping and floating in coverage…reliable on the edges to set the edge and hold outside contain…grip strength to get ballcarriers on the ground…coachable, team-oriented mind-set…work ethic matured throughout his college years and those habits translated to improved play on the field…graduated with a degree in marketing and communications (Dec. 2016)…holds the school records for sacks in a single-season (11.5) and career (29.5). WEAKNESSES: Inconsistent snap anticipation, getting a late start…lacks elastic bend around the edge and shows some stiffness in open space…wild pass rush sequence and needs to stay under control mid-rush…active, but rudimentary hand use, lacking a coordinated plan…pads tend to rise at contact, stalling his counter moves…inconsistent break down skills, attacking off-balance and not finishing the ballcarrier – shifty runners can juke him in small spaces…functional length, but streaky timing and doesn’t always protect his chest…medical history needs inspected – underwent meniscus surgery (April 2015) and missed playing time after spraining his left knee (Sept. 2015). SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Ohio, Basham lined up at both left and right defensive end with his hand in the ground in the Bobcats’ four man-front. He showed steady development each season in Athens and finished with a strong senior campaign, earning the conference defensive player of the year honors and setting several school sack records. Basham relies more on energy than savvy as a pass rusher and needs to mature his move-to-move sequence to get home consistently in the NFL. However, he holds up well vs. the run and his blend of quickness, power and length allow him to win one-on-one battles vs. blockers on the edges – day two prospect who can be part of a pass rush rotation as a rookie while competing for starting snaps.

1.6 10 yard!!!!! Thats the same as hassan Reddick. 4.7 is more then athletic enough, and he's more twitchy and sudden then fast. Love love love this pick more and more after watching film. Slept on this kid throughout this process.

I actually really like think pick. Bashem seems like a great teamate, he has hard working, leadership and relentless motor qualities aswell as being very gifted physically. I think he turns out a good player for us, after good coaching he can be a destructive edge player that keeps on motoring 

• Like 1

all Bashem's plays for that Tennessee game that Ballard went to that got him picked.  

I have to say, i like what i see.  He holds his gap.  Plays the run great, taking good angles.  Never stopped even when the play is across the field from him.  Good release.  A lot to like.  He even had a few plays where he was upright like an OLB.  He does have a few moments where he looses balance, or is held up by a single blocker. but overall, we got a good player.  pass rusher whom can play the run as well. He only needs to strengthen his hands, and learn to pull people down ...too many arm tackles he missed.

Another rating of praise:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2706317-nfl-draft-2017-round-2-3-grades-for-every-nfl-pick

Strengths: Quickness, arms, technique, motor.

Weaknesses: Polish, mid-major-program concerns.

Basham possesses the Mid-Major Pass Rush Draftnik Darling Starter Kit: 34 ¼-inch arms, a quick first step, a chaotic playing style and an impressive week of Senior Bowl practices.

He also has the Deluxe Bonus Expansion Pack: a nifty swim move and serviceable spin move, enough power to be effective in the running game and a little bit of coverage experience.

Basham still has a few sloppy habits, like taking long strides right past the quarterback or failing to diagnose on misdirection. But I would take him over Taco Charlton any day.

This is a great pick at this point in the draft: an impact pass-rusher for a team that has overspent and overreached (and over-relied on Robert Mathis until his wheels fell off) at the pass-rush positions for years.

Grade: A+

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mr Clueless said:

I see he has been playing a lot as a DE in a 4-3. How does that translate to OLB in a 3-4?

Not to bring back bad memories of Werner and his failed transition, but you know.... :console:

I know we are listed as playing a 3-4 but not always. I don't know the breakdown but playing the hybrid it changes up depending what the offense does.

9 hours ago, krunk said:

I'd like to add Carl Lawson and or Brantley in the 4th round. Brantley only if the case with that girl was not what it was sold to be. Want to get a RB as well. Hopefully add a Joe Haeg type lineman between the 4-5. DB or ILB.

For RBs Perrine and Hill are still there. For ILB I like Anthony Walker. And if Lawson is still there I'd consider him. And at TE we've got Butt and Kittle still on the board. I'm salivating at the possibilities. 5th round I like JRM, Deatrich Wise, Jarron Jones, Vincent Taylor. There's still a bunch of CBs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

For RBs Perrine and Hill are still there. For ILB I like Anthony Walker. And if Lawson is still there I'd consider him. And at TE we've got Butt and Kittle still on the board. I'm salivating at the possibilities. 5th round I like JRM, Deatrich Wise, Jarron Jones, Vincent Taylor. There's still a bunch of CBs.

What do you think about Caleb Brantley? I think that would be a value add to our D line if that incident with that female isn't what it was made to be. Hes got a starters grade

Just now, krunk said:

What do you think about Caleb Brantley? I think that would be a value add to our D line if that incident with that female isn't what it was made to be. Hes got a starters grade

What I've heard is that he pulled a Mixon, and knocked a woman out cold. Considering how close it was to the draft it just represents extremely poor decision making if true. I haven't seen a video yet so I'd consider him in the 5th if he's there. Not the 4th though because if convicted he'll miss 6 games. Rather get some other players there.

5 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

What I've heard is that he pulled a Mixon, and knocked a woman out cold. Considering how close it was to the draft it just represents extremely poor decision making if true. I haven't seen a video yet so I'd consider him in the 5th if he's there. Not the 4th though because if convicted he'll miss 6 games. Rather get some other players there.

I haven't looked much into the case. But what you say makes sense. Seemed like it was rumor and not actually confirmed

25 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

One article I just read spoke of two things of interest. The security guard at the bar stated Brantley never knocked the woman unconscious. According to him he just pushed her away after she was hitting him in the chest, slapping him. The security guard also states she hit him in the mouth. The second thing of interest from the article is her attorneys are said to have approached Brantleys attorneys for a settlement. Brantley told his lawyer under no circumstances would he settle. I read this on Gatorbait.net

• Like 2

1 hour ago, krunk said:

One article I just read spoke of two things of interest. The security guard at the bar stated Brantley never knocked the woman unconscious. According to him he just pushed her away after she was hitting him in the chest, slapping him. The security guard also states she hit him in the mouth. The second thing of interest from the article is her attorneys are said to have approached Brantleys attorneys for a settlement. Brantley told his lawyer under no circumstances would he settle. I read this on Gatorbait.net

Interesting. I mean Mixon and Conley got drafted. I hope Ballard has done his research then. Brantley could be his Tyreek Hill.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Iancolts said:

Safety huge frame!!!  DB huge frame!!!   Now a LB/DE with a high motor.  I know I know we need to protect Luck but I'm happy we are going defense.  Now we need a LB then Oline and maybe a RB late no more WR pls Ballard 

Do you think we should have taken Forrest Lamp?

13 hours ago, MarvinTheGreat88 said:

You hit it on the head. For once, our GM is selecting 1) players in areas of need, and 2) players that this forum generally likes. I'm not saying this is a guarantee for success, but it sure makes things much more fun for us!

It feels like I'm following a completely different team. Not only are we drafting good players w/ great value & hitting needs... but we also seemed to do well in free agency. Signed guys hitting their prime years & having youth, cutting older expensive veterans, being smart with money, obtaining extra draft picks...

Weird. But in a good way! :rock:

I agree

13 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I don't think he has quite the bend or flexibility that Houston has, but Basham can be a very good rotational pass rusher who utilizes his speed to power pass rush ability. Hopefully he can work with Mathis to add to his pass rush arsenal.

Why is Mathis doing that?

Peter King's MMQB article was very interesting and went behind the scenes of the 49ers draft. In the article it mentioned that SF likes Bashem towards the top of the 3rd rd. They ended traded down with NO and taking Witherspoon at cb. 

"Friday. Rounds two and three. Niners with the 66th and 67th overall picks, both early in the third round. Shanahan liked a bunch of players, including corner Ahkello Witherspoon from Colorado and Ohio defensive end Tarell Basham. But there was no second-round pick, and lots of action on the two third-round picks"

• 11 months later...

Since Basham was learning on the fly how to play OLB in a 3-4 versus his natural position as a 4-3 end.....I figured I'd pull this back up to refresh some memories!

With Sheard and Basham at either end position this is why you may see Ballard and Co. select the stud linebackers needed for this 4-3 conversion first and draft a couple edge rushers in the mid rounds to develop and/or compete with Sheard and Basham.

This to me is why it makes sense to target Tremaine Edmunds (getting our Urlacher) and a couple other WILLs in the 2nd and beyond. Walker and Grace can compete with the draftees for the backup spots/special teams.

Basham was a beast with his hand in the dirt and Sheards career stats clearly show he's been more productive as a 4-3 end as well....

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Since Basham was learning on the fly how to play OLB in a 3-4 versus his natural position as a 4-3 end.....I figured I'd pull this back up to refresh some memories!

With Sheard and Basham at either end position this is why you may see Ballard and Co. select the stud linebackers needed for this 4-3 conversion first and draft a couple edge rushers in the mid rounds to develop and/or compete with Sheard and Basham.

This to me is why it makes sense to target Tremaine Edmunds (getting our Urlacher) and a couple other WILLs in the 2nd and beyond. Walker and Grace can compete with the draftees for the backup spots/special teams.

Basham was a beast with his hand in the dirt and Sheards career stats clearly show he's been more productive as a 4-3 end as well....

Good point. You could argue that Ballard was already drafting for the 4-3 changes last year. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

It’s sound logic. 

I would take Nelson over Edmunds, but I would not be upset if we took Edmunds over Chubb. 

If we stay at 6 then I can only guess Ballard’s Big Board. Until we see otherwise, I am going to pencil in the following as Ballard Big Board:

1. Barkley

2. Chubb

3. Nelson

4. Edmunds

In reality, it could be the exact opposite. We won’t know until we make a selection and even then we might have an incomplete answer. 

For the record, my Big Board of those 4 are:

1. Barkley

2. Nelson

3. Chubb

4. Edmunds

In this defense, if you are relying on your front four to get pressure - blitzing, attacking less, etc. -  you must have a stud pass rusher... or two.  

Sheard and Basham?  They ain't it.  Basham, at best, with a lot of work and much improvement, is a rotational player while Sheard was, let's be honest, picked from free agent scraps when you had no choice but to find bodies to fill out the roster.