Colts select Qunicy Wilson

Steamboat_Shaun

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chris Landry had Wilson graded #42 overall on his horizontal board.. We got him at #46

Sixth best corner on his vertical board.

6. (JR) QUINCY WILSON–FLORIDA
6014|211 lbs|3JR Fort Lauderdale, Fla. (University) 8/16/1995 (age 21) #6
YEAR (GP/GS) TKLS TFL SACK FF PD INT GRADE 2nd-3rd Round
2014: (12/2) 22 1.0 0.0 1 4 1 MEASUREABLES Arm: 32 1/4 | Hand: 09 5/8 | Wingspan: 75 5/8
2015: (14/9) 29 0.0 0.0 0 7 2 COMBINE 40-YD: 4.54 | 10-YD: 1.58 | 20-YD: 2.65 | BP: 14 | VJ: 32 | BJ: 09’10” | SS: 4.02 | 3C: 6.86
2016: (13/13) 33 3.5 1.0 0 9 3 PRO DAY BJ: 09’05”
Total: (39/24) 84 4.5 1.0 1 20 6
Two-year starter who earned Second Team All-SEC honors in 2016, posting 33 tackles (3.5 for loss), three interceptions and six pass breakups. Started nine games as a sophomore in 2015, making 29 tackles with two interceptions and five pass breakups. Entered the first unit for two games as a true freshman and tallied 22 tackles, an interception and three PBUs.
Nice sized corner. Physical, mixes it up with receivers and makes a lot of athletic plays on the field. Displays a sense of timing, a burst to the ball out of his plant and possesses good hands for the interception. Flies around the field attempting to knock away passes and willingly defends the run and screen passes. Very effective facing the action, effortlessly covers receivers on crossing patterns and works to make plays.
A bit slow out of his transition turning to run downfield with opponents. Does a bit of face-guarding on occasion. Not a secure tackler.
Wilson offers next-level size and has shown dominant ball skills the past two seasons. Unrefined in many areas of the cornerback position, he possesses tremendous upside but will need work on his overall game before he’s truly NFL-ready. His size, instincts, ball skills and willingness to tackle will all serve him well at safety.
BACKGROUND: A four-star athlete cornerback recruit out of high school, Wilson elected to stay in-state and play for the Gators over offers from Ohio State, LSU, Georgia and others. He earned his way onto the field as a true freshman and collected 22 tackles and his first interception over two starts. Wilson saw his playing time increase as a sophomore in 2015 (nine starts) and finished with 29 tackles, seven passes defended and two interceptions. He had his best season as a junior in 2016, starting every game and finishing second on the team in passes defended (nine) and interceptions (three) to earn Second Team All-SEC honors. Wilson elected to skip his final season of eligibility for the 2017 NFL Draft.
STRENGTHS: Looks the part with a well-built, long frame…balanced athlete with the smooth turn-and-run skills to stay within arm length of receivers…has enough speed to stay on top of wideouts when he correctly anticipates the route…looks to get physical in press coverage with violent hands, but also stays controlled with his jabs…fearless run defender and drives on the ball while keeping outside leverage…uses his long arms to take away passing lanes with NFL ball skills to do wide receiver-like things at the catch point…carries himself with supreme confidence and a short memory…cornerback bloodlines – father (Chad) played cornerback for Miami (Fla.) from 1992-94 and coached defensive backs at University.
WEAKNESSES: Doesn’t play with ideal suddenness for the NFL…has the initial acceleration to stick with receivers, but his speed trails off…inconsistent, lazy technique in his pedal, making it easy on savvy receivers to gain separation at the stem…undisciplined eyes and late to adjust and drive on routes…poor timing in coverage and caught leaning, lacking explosive hips or recovery burst…too much contact downfield and will make it easy on officials to throw flags…inconsistent tackling mechanics and is often caught on his heels or goes too low on tackle attempts, not finishing through the body of his target…needs to control his emotions on the field, drawing a personal foul penalty against Tennessee (Sept. 2016).
SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Florida, Wilson was part of a deep cornerback depth chart for the Gators, but the coaches couldn’t keep him off the field – lined up primarily at right cornerback in both press and off-man coverage. He is a big athlete with several of the physical ingredients at the position that has NFL scouts optimistic, but he is more smooth than sudden and struggles to stick with wideouts at the top of routes, especially if he doesn’t disrupt the route at the line of scrimmage. Although he has the ball skills and awareness to make impact plays in coverage, Wilson often takes too many chances, leading to mistakes and receivers gaining easy separation. He also has the size and toughness to be a reliable run defender, but his streaky tackling mechanics allowed offenses to run at him with success. While there is plenty to like about him as a cornerback prospect, Wilson has the skill-set that might be better suited at safety.

Now I would be all up to take the injured cb who was a top 5 pick and stash him for next season. Learn in class, weight room and conditioning for 2018. We would have a very very solid group of cb's for the 4 years at least. 

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Just heard he was a little underrated, McShay said he was the 33rd best player in this draft.  On paper Colts are getting good value at a positions of need.  They are putting a lot of pressure on Sheard to get to the QB though.  Still have picks left though.

Not everybody has a a Von Miller at their disposal. Belichick won with three safeties but with not your major household names like Kyle Long, Trey Flowers, Jabaal Sheard providing pressure along with Ninkovich and Hightower. Ballard was part of the staff that drafted Justin Houston in round three, so I'm certain he has some plans for round 3.

PFF's comparison is Marcus Peters:

Whether or not Wilson can make an impact in the NFL early in his career like Peters did remains a big question mark, but like Peters he is more than willing to gamble to try and make a big play. That led to nine interceptions from Peters as a rookie, but also saw him 1,057 yards on throws into his coverage.

I like Ballards stragegy, he want's playmakers willing to get takeaways. Wilson seems like a player who plays with no fear. Wilson and Hooker are two of the best in this area. Butler was also very good at making interceptions, we may actually have a very good backfield now.

Vontae - Geathers - Hooker - Butler (slot) - Wilson

I like it!

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Not everybody has a a Von Miller at their disposal. Belichick won with three safeties but with not your major household names like Kyle Long, Trey Flowers, Jabaal Sheard providing pressure along with Ninkovich and Hightower. Ballard was part of the staff that drafted Justin Houston in round three, so I'm certain he has some plans for round 3.

Not saying you have to have a Von Miller but you do need guys who can get to the QB.  Sheard is the only guy they have right now that is known for that.

like I said this draft isn't over.  

7 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

There should still be good players at DE/OLB that can rotate in with Sheard and Simon in round 3. I really like and hope that Derek Rivers or Tarrell Basham is still available (knock on wood).

Yeah draft isn't over.  I wouldn't be shocked if we still add a running back and another corner at some point as well.  

15 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

Chris "GOAT" Ballard, I love you. 

Can you remember the last time our 1st- and 2nd-round picks were both:

• 1) Great values at their selection spots
  • 2) Top-5 talents at their positions
  • 3) Easily fit our positions of need for our team
  • 4) Were arguably BPA when taken

Whatever Ballard's daily routine is, he needs to keep doing it. Wear the same shirt, eat the same breakfast, go to bed at the same time... don't change a thing CB. Keep up the good work!

As the resident Florida Gator on this board I can undoubtedly say this was a great pick.  I've probably seen every game of Wilson's career.  Last year was his first year starting at UF on the outside.  He was behind Hargreaves (TB) and Teez Tabor.  Last season as Tabor was supposed to be our star CB, Wilson actually out played him and by quite a bit.  Wilson is a big physical corner and has great ball skills.  His a willing tackler but not a great one.  He doesn't gamble on balls and stays sound.  He'll be perfect opposite Vontae once he gets used to NFL speed.  He's not a speedy DB, he's more of a size guy.  He can cover for a couple of extra seconds when the pass rush doesn't get there.  UF plays press Cover 3 zone for the most part (what SEA and ATL plays).  The Falcons HC came from UF.